• Published 4th Nov 2017
  • 2,809 Views, 70 Comments

AJ and the Dragon - MiraculousDragonMaster



A beautiful girl becomes a prisoner to a beastly dragon under a curse. But as time goes, they eventually see beyond their appearances and slowly begin to fall in love. A humanized Equestria AU based off Beauty and the Beast.

  • ...
7
 70
 2,809

Release

AJ and the Dragon

Chapter 16

Release

The early spring breeze was gentle and warm as Spike and Applejack both walked out onto the balcony. They both sat down on a stone bench, not knowing what to say next. As he watched AJ fix her hat to keep it from bothering her pony ears, Spike took a silent deep breath. It was now or never.

"Applejack." He started to say as he carefully took her hand in his claw. She turned to look at him, smiling softly and her emerald eyes glittered as she gazed at him. "Are you... happy here?" He asked, careful of his words.

AJ placed her other hand in his other empty claw. "Yeah. To be honest, I haven't felt this glad in so long. Now, I have my best friends back."

"What about me?" Spike asked. "Are we friends?"

Applejack slightly squeezed his claws. "Of course we are, sugarcube." She assured him. "Even though we had a rough start, now, I'm happy that I met ya." She then removed her right hand and gently caressed his face, making him lean into her touch. But then, AJ's smile disappeared as she let her hand drop and she looked out towards the forest.

"What's wrong?" Spike asked, seeing her gaze.

Applejack looked back at him, her eyes glowing dull with sadness. "I just wish I could see my family again. I miss 'em."

Spike thought about that for a second. How could he have forgotten that she technically was still a prisoner here? Can anyone really be happy if they aren't free? He then had an idea.

"There is one way." He said to AJ. He then began leading her back inside.


Soon, they were in the West Wing again. Spike had kept Applejack close to him though, seeing her shiver as she remembered the time that she snuck in. He kept his hold on her hand, silently assuring her that it was in the past.

He walked over to the stand with the Ice Iris and picked the mirror that was beside the glass bell jar. "Twilight enchanted this mirror so that it could show anything you wish to see."

Spike handed the mirror to Applejack. She gazed into the crystal clear reflection of the glass. "I want to see my family." She hesitantly requested.

A shining violet light swirled over the surface of the mirror, and it revealed Apple Bloom in her bedroom, slightly coughing. Granny Smith said something to Big Mac, and he went out of the farmhouse and into the Everfree Forest.

"No." AJ said worried. "Big Mac is in the forest, looking for me. And Apple Bloom is still sick, even after all this time. That little cough she had mighta been worse than I thought."

Spike looked over at the Ice Iris, seeing that were only four lilac petals left clinging onto the top of the stem. This choice affects his fate, yet, what was more important? He then turned away from the bell jar and back to the worried cowgirl. "Then, you better go to them."

Applejack tore her gaze away from the mirror and to the dragon, not believing what she had heard. "What?" She asked.

"Hurry." Spike said. "Go to them. You're no longer bound here."

AJ went up to him, her eyes shimmering with disbelief. "You really mean that?" The dragon nodded. "Thank you." She turned back to the mirror. "Hang on, y'all. I'm coming." She was about to leave, but stopped and tried to return the handheld mirror to Spike. However, he stopped her.

"Keep it." He said. "So you can look back on me."

Applejack looked down at it, then caressed his face again. "I promised my friends that I'd help them. Now, that promise also goes to you. I'll be back once I know that my sister is okay."

Spike smiled as she let her hand drop and left the wing. Then, his smile disappeared. He knew that by the time she comes back, it would already be too late.

Just then, Discord literally popped out of nowhere and beside him, slightly surprising him. "So, how did it go?" He asked, playfully wiggling his eyebrows. When Spike turned away, he tried again. "Well, there was no yelling out of anger or disgust, so, what happened?"

Finally, the dragon answered. "I let her go."

"WHAT?!" The chaos lord shouted. Then, the door burst open and the two saw everyone else in the doorway, obviously trying to eavesdrop.

"What do you mean, you let her go?!" Rainbow Dash shouted at him as she flew over to him, not believing what was heard.

"I had to." Spike answered quietly.

"But, why?" Rarity asked, entering in as well with the rest of the gang.

The dragon had a sad smile on his face. "Because... I love her."

Pinkie and Cheese looked at each other, ready to burst at the seams. "Yes!" They cheered.

"Looks like the spell will be broken any second now!" Pinkie declared.

"It's not enough." Twilight sadly reminded them as she glanced down at the floor. "He has to earn her love in return."

Everyone instantly looked crestfallen. They were so close, yet they was still not there.

"That's it, then." Discord replied in defeat. "All that for nothing."

"I'm sorry, guys." Spike whispered.

"For what?" Fluttershy asked him.

"For trapping you all here, left to suffer the same fate as me." Spike then turned away, silently asking to be left alone. One by one, everyone left the West Wing. Discord had Fluttershy in his arms as she quietly wept in his chest. Fancy led out a distraught Rarity, while Soarin' had an arm around Rainbow, seeing that for the first time, she looked utterly defeated. Twilight saw herself out as tears slowly ran down her face. This was her fault in the first place, and now, there was no getting out of it.


The heartbroken dragon peered out of the balcony, then back at the wilting Ice Iris for about the fourteenth time. It was all his fault. He should've looked for help and comfort when he got banished. But instead, he became harsh, cold, and cruel, and he ruined others' lives in the process. Feeling guilty, he began to sing.

Spike: I was the one who had it all.
I was the master of my fate.
I never needed anybody in my life.
I learned the truth too late.

He then looked away from the Ice Iris as an image of Applejack appeared in his mind. Oh, she was just so beautiful, both inside and out. He could hear her sweet southern voice. He could feel the warmth that she left on his cheek. He could see her pearl white smile that just radiated kindness, her emerald eyes that could pierce right into his very soul. But, her beauty wasn't the only thing lovely about her. She was sweet, fiery, tough, and caring. He was absolutely sure now. He was truly in love with her.

I'll never shake away the pain.
I close my eyes, but she's still there.
I let her steal into my melancholy heart.
It's more than I can bear.

Spike reluctantly looked away from the angelic mental vision he was seeing and back at to the balcony. With his sharp eyesight, he could see AJ running out the front doors of the castle, dressed in her normal clothes again; her deep red jacket tied around her waist, her golden blonde ponytail trailing behind her, and with Winona on her heels.

Now I know she'll never leave me.
Even as she runs away,
She will still torment me, calm me, hurt me,
Move me, come what may.

Wasting in my lonely tower,
Waiting by an open door,
I'll fool myself she'll walk right in
And be with me for evermore.

Spike went further out in the crisp cool air in an attempt to keep her in his vision as Applejack ran across the long stone bridge.

I rage against the trials of love.
I curse the fading of the light.
Though she's already flown so far beyond my reach,
She's never out of sight.

Now I know she'll never leave me.
Even as she fades from view,
She will still inspire me,
Be a part of everything I do.

Wasting in my lonely tower,
Waiting by an open door,
I'll fool myself, she'll walk right in.
And as the long, long nights begin,
I'll think of all that might have been,
Waiting here for evermore!

Spike finished his heartbreaking lament as AJ went through the tall iron gates at the other side of the bridge and disappeared into the Everfree Forest. But what he didn't know was that before she did, she looked back towards the castle one last time, feeling a sharp prick of sadness in her heart.

Author's Note:

A/N: I'm glad I didn't cry while writing this. But, it's still sad. And I can bet that y'all know the song I used. I have loved this song ever since I first heard it when I saw the movie. But, as much as I love it, I don't own it in any way.

Well, I'll see you guys in Chapter 17! Please let me know what you think!

Got to fly! ;)