• Published 22nd Oct 2019
  • 2,151 Views, 87 Comments

The Diary of Discord Wimp - ThePianoMan



When Discord is driven mad by the death of his friend Fluttershy, Celestia performs a spell that rewrites history...

  • ...
3
 87
 2,151

Goin' Out on Me

“...learned a great deal from listening…”
-Erny

Spike shut off his EC radio.

“Rarity?” Discord laughed.

The dragon grumbled as he threw the radio back into one of the cardboard boxes that filled his new room. “Why’d you have to go and give her all the frequencies we use?”

“Because, kumquat, she’s trying to make amends with you.” The draconequus slid another box into an open corner. With one of his claws he broke the clear tape holding it shut. Flipping up the lids he pulled out a stack of comics. “Ah-ha! The essentials. On the bright side of things, at least Donna wasn’t smart enough to recognize your collection’s worth.”

“You’re not getting out of this one easily,” Spike flopped onto his sheetless mattress, “O&O. Tonight. You’re place.”

“I can’t,” Discord shrugged as he began filling the empty bookshelf, “Fluttershy and I are going on a date tonight.”

“Again?” The dragon cried, “you were just on a date yesterday!”

“No. That wasn’t a date. We went to the mall so I could talk to her brother’s boss about me getting a part time job at Salty’s.”

“And the night before that?” Spike pressed.

Discord scratched at the back of his head. “Helping set up enclosures at the animal shelter.”

“You and Fluttershy were the only volunteers.”

The draconequus sighed. “Well what about Twilight? Doesn’t she need help researching the elements or something?”

Rolling off the bed Spike dug into a box marked Explorer’s Pack. He flipped through the pages of his Game Master’s Guide. “She’s having a sleepover with Rainbow and Rarity of all ponies, Big Mac is busy helping his parents, and my dad is working late tonight.”

“Your dadis?” Discord asked.

“Yeah, why?”

“Huh,” he shrugged as he folded up the now empty box at his feet, “my mom said the same thing.”

“And your point?”

“I don’t know. Probably nothing.” Checking a clock in the hallway, the draconequus winced, “Oh. I better get back to my place so I can get ready in time for my date.”

“Fine. It’s no sweat. Go hang out with your fiance,” Spike buried his face in a comic as he plopped into a beanbag chair.

Discord shook his head. “We’re not really engaged. Why does everyone-. You know what? Nevermind. Spike. I promise I’ll make it up to you. Last week before school starts again, we’ll do and O&O binge. Seven whole days. I’ll whip up a huge campaign for us. Nothing but fighting monsters, pizza, and unhealthy levels nerding out until we make Rainbow beg us to stop. What do you say?”

“Sure. Whatever,” He flipped to the next page of his comic.

Sighing at his friend, Discord abruptly stopped on his way out the door. “Oh, hi Mister Gallop.”

“Hello,” the unicorn stared stoically down at him, “going somewhere?”

“Down the road of treachery,” Spike interjected.

“Hm.” The unicorn sluggishly blinked, “How unfortunate that you friend won’t be joining us for dinner.”

“Sorry, Mister Gallop. Your wife’s lasagna smells delicious, but I got to save room for later tonight,” Discord chuckled nervously as he maneuvered around him, “maybe next time.” He disappeared down the hall and out the front door, whistling as he went.

Peaking into Spike’s room, the unicorn browsed through the comics on the shelves. “So, just you. All your self, uh,” his lips twitched, “sport?”

“It’s okay, Mister Gallop,” he closed the comic to stare at the ceiling, “you don’t have to be all nice to me just because my dad’s paying you rent.”

“I assure you, that was not my motivation.”

Spike turned his attention from the ceiling and stared at him. “What?”

Clearing his throat the unicorn shrugged, “I might have overheard about your mare friend. Sounds rough.”
“Yeah,” Spike admitted, “it kinda sucks liking someone you know doesn’t really love you back. Sorry, you wouldn’t understand.”

There was a long silence from him before he finally broke it. “I believe I do. No matter how hard you try, it seems almost impossible to let go. Like a dream you don’t want to wake up from, and you lay awake in your bed at the crack of dawn, hoping you slip back into paradise.”

Spike cracked a smile, “Sorry, Mister Gallop.”

The unicorn smiled back. “Don’t be. Sport.”

A melodic voice came chanting down the hall. “Boys! Dinner!”

“Come on, sport,” he motioned for Spike to join him, “I don’t want your dad to quit paying rent because we let you starve.”

*****

Bundled in jackets and filled up with carbs, Spike rode his bike to the bridge over the canal. In his backpack he had his radio, a flashlight, and his disruptor at the ready along with a bag of white chocolate coated pretzels - the last of his snacks from the previous week’s O&O session. “Stupid Rarity.” He popped his front tire a few inches off the icy sidewalk. “Stupid dates.” His tire reached a foot in the air. “Sleep overs!” The rear tire rolled too far forward. Spike shrieked as he veered off the cement and into grass all the way down into the canal. The tread slipped and he was flung from atop his bike. “Darn it!”

Brushing the dirty snow from his back and tail end he groaned as his feet struggled to stand on the frozen water. From his back, static erupted with a familiar voice.

“Spike? Spike, darling. Are you there.”

“Perfect,” rolling over he crawled to his bike and dragged it to the snow bank just under the bridge where he retrieved his radio, “what do you want?”

“Please, Spike. You haven’t talked to me since Doctor Hooves’ rescue.”

He screamed into his claws. “Aren’t you supposed to be at Twilight’s?”

“They think I’m in the restroom. Spikey, please listen to me.”

“Don’t call me that.” He squeezed down the talk button, almost cracking it. “Discord already told me.”

“He told you, but I haven’t. I mean it. I still want to be friends with you.”

“Well I don’t!” Fire whipped out of his mouth, melting the snow and in front of him. His heaving breaths slowed as he controlled them into deeper intakes. In and out, he told himself. “I don’t want to be friends. I want to go back to what I thought we had. But-.”

“Yes, Spike?”

He shook his head. “I know it can’t just be the way it was. That you don’t see me that way, and never will, so just-,” it took him another moment to control his breathing, “I need some space. I just need to distract myself for a while with something else.”

“...alright…I understand...”

“For what it’s worth, thanks for the time we had together.” Cursing to himself, he froze at the sound of a twig branch breaking.

“Spike? What did you mean by that? Spike…” Other voices cut in. “What’s going on...who are you talking to-.”

He shut off his radio. Silence. “Hello?” Tearing his disruptor from his backpack Spike scanned the area. “Okay. Come out, come out, wherever you are.” The trees on either side of the canal rustled. “Or not.”

Crunching snow echoed in each direction.

“Hey! I’m warning you! I got a,” he looked at the disrupter, “a particle scrambler. Yeah! I’ll deatomize you if you get too close.”

A giggle followed up on his statement. “You got that from your comics. Huh, Spikey.”

He knew that voice. Turning to his left, he saw her familiar purple mane divide the white of the snow. “R-rarity? What are you doing here?”

“I’m sorry.” She wiped a tear from her eye. “I couldn’t just sit at Twilight’s knowing you were all by yourself. You are all by yourself. Aren’t you?”

Spike sighed, watching his breath as it froze in the air. “Yeah. Discord is-. See I can’t even be mad because he never was with us, me, ugh. Sorry. He was just worried. I don’t gotta worry about Fluttershy though. She really loves him. I know she’ll never do what you did to me.” He shuddered and the sound of whimpering. It was Rarity. “What?”

“I’m so sorry Spike, for everything. For what I put you through. It’s just that-. I’m so confused, and I don’t know why I keep toying with you like this.”

“What do you mean?” He asked, “What are you saying?”

She wiped her nose on her hoof. “I haven’t been entirely honest about how I feel. Like I said, I’m confused. I thought that I could just be your friend, but then when I got to know you, the real you. I couldn’t stop thinking about it. I-. I don’t want to be your friend either.”

“I don’t understand.” He stepped towards her.

She frowned as she wiped her tear stricken eyes. “I think you do. I don’t want to be alone. I really don’t. Not after what I learned what you were like, that you really-. Oh-. I can’t even say it. I’m sorry.”

“No,” Spike took another step, “tell me. You can tell me. You can be honest, like we were.”

“Spikey, I don’t want you to just be another face in the crowd. I want you to be mine. I want to wake up every day knowing that it’s you, that you’re the one that will always have my heart.” She inched closer. “What I’m trying to say is…”

Running forwards he embraced her. “I know. By the sisters I know. I’m sorry for not talking to you. I lo-.” Feeling around her, it dawned on him. “It’s freezing out here. Where’s your coat?” Pulling away, his eyes widened at the dripping tusks protruding from her mouth. “Oh, fudge,” except he didn’t say fudge. “Gah!”

A ball of snow struck the imposter Rarity’s face, blinding her.

Spike didn’t question it; he just took the opportunity to leap away and set off the disruptor.

The image of the unicorn fizzled out leaving behind a twitching black form with withered legs like swiss cheese. “Oh,” the changeling blinked it’s putrid green eyes, “you’re gonna pay for that you rotten kid.”

“C-c-change-.” The dragon desperately crawled backwards away from it before a blur tackled the creature away and up. He could hear the collision continue overhead alongside the screeching of brakes and a thud. “Ah!” The changeling fell limp in the snow. “What-?” Looking up he spotted an owl watching nearby. “Did you-?” Spike shook his head. “No, that’d be crazy.” He lifted up the disruptor. “But just in case.”

The owl held up its wings, “Wait!”

“You just talked. You’re one of them!”

“Yes.” The owl lit up in a small whirlwind of hazy blue fire leaving behind another changeling. “Are you okay?”

“W-what?” Spike squinted at the changeling’s pale blue eyes. He wasn’t entirely sure where it was looking. There was a faint luminous source where its irises ought to be. “I mean, yeah. Why do you care?”

“I’ve been watching you. You and your friends.”

“Why?” Spike asked.

The changeling sighed. “To make sure you didn’t get hurt.”

Contemplating its words, Spike began an approach that he immediately aborted the moment the changeling flinched away. “Wait.” He reached into his bag. “Do you like pretzels? Or White chocolate?”

“What?” It stared at him.

Pulling out the pretzels he popped the bag open. “Here.” He tossed one towards it. “Try one.”

The changeling’s curved horn lit up, drawing in the pretzel with magic. Inspecting it first, the changeling took a cautious bite before finishing it with a delightful hum. “This is good. Almost like love.”

Spike crept closer offering more of the pretzels. “Do you have a name, or something I can call you?” He froze as it casually dunked its face in the bag and filled its mouth with the contents.

“Mfnam,” it chewed and swallowed leaving behind a coating of melted white chocolate on its dark lips, “the name’s Thorax.”

Author's Note: