• Published 22nd Oct 2019
  • 2,127 Views, 87 Comments

The Diary of Discord Wimp - ThePianoMan



When Discord is driven mad by the death of his friend Fluttershy, Celestia performs a spell that rewrites history...

  • ...
3
 87
 2,127

No Way Out

“For evil to flourish…”
-Simon

Bleach and chemicals lingered on the navy blue overalls. This Gallop hated it, but found it necessary. He pulled a crumpled bit of foil from his pocket. “Trash.” Gently, he undid the damage that had been done by carefully unrolling the edges. It was difficult to determine what was a wrinkle and what was a fold. Eventually though, the foil’s previous form came out. This Gallop studied the object, sure that the others on the public bus were paying him no mind. “A,” he hunted for the word, “flower.” A memory came to him of his home. He remembered seeing flora similar to this once, when he had wandered from his post. The bus suddenly stopped.

It was the wrong stop. It was a sidestreet down one of the back alleys. The passengers didn’t complain though. In fact they said nothing. The passengers just blankly stared forward.

The grey griffon bus driver picked up a microphone and activated the PA system. “Thank you for riding aboard Ponyville Transit Agency buses, promoting smarter fuel for a brighter future. Have a nice day!” The driver smiled at the Gallop at the end of the bus as the passengers all stood up at the same time and made their exit in perfect formation.

This Gallop waited till the bus was empty and its doors were sealed. “A bold display of social unity.”

“Oh, cut the coding,” the griffon driver made air quotes with his claws, “Gallop. There’s no microphones here. No one is listening. No one is watching. Feel free to relax, decompress. Could I interest you in a snack?”

This Gallop raised a hoof in protest. “No thanks. It’s hard enough to keep my source as it is. She’s getting stronger.”

The driver snickered. “Isn’t it nasty when your food keeps kicking inside. It’s so pathetic.”

“Yes.” This Gallop tucked the foil flower back into his coveralls as he addressed the driver. “What was that march about? What’s Honeybee up to?”

The driver pulled out a plastic baggy. Inside was a translucent piece of something. “New marching orders for anytime one of our own is intercepted. Honeybee wants a display of power from now on, to discourage our comrades from desertion.”

This was a development shocking enough to make this Gallop stand up. “Desertion? How is that possible?” He knew if it was a relevant issue, someone had jumped ship. It didn’t make it easier to believe, though. “Who was it? Was it more than one?”

“Just one.” The driver opened the baggy to this Gallop and offered it to him. “Get a good whiff.”

This Gallop stepped forward and inhaled through his nose over the bag. “Oh.” Getting through the plastic smell, the real scent he required came through. “I see. He never really did fit in with the rest of us. Have they interrogated his brother?”

“Yes.” The driver hid away the plastic baggy. “He knows nothing. And, he appears loyal. But rest assured, we’ll be watching him closely. Regarding other matters. How is the bird watching?” He cackled.

This Gallop frowned as he once again smelled the bleach and chemicals that wandered from his coveralls. “I have some updates for Honeybee. The draconequus is gaining control of his powers. If anyone of us had been doing their job, they would have noticed the gargantuan flying pig that loomed in the sky a few days back.”

The driver blinked in disbelief. “That was him?”

“Yes. He very well might pose a threat. That is to say if he doesn’t destroy himself.” This gallop pulled out a rolled up manilla folder and gave it to the driver. “The draconequus might be unstable. His abilities may very well be his undoing.”

“Very good.” The driver smiled as he read over the papers in the folder. “And,” he held up an instant photograph, “You saw this stallion?”

This Gallop nodded. “Affirmative.”

The driver growled under his breath. “He’s supposed to be on his way to Fillydelphia.” Thinking for a moment, he smiled. “I’ll inform Honeybee of these updates. And as for that stallion who’s helping the draconequus, test his defenses.” The driver straightened his cap as he drove the bus onto an open street to the nearest bus stop. “You got your shopping list. I’d love to hear about those recipes later.”

This Gallop disappeared in the flood of ponies and other creatures that boarded the bus. Making his way to the bus stop’s bench, he watched as the driver drove off with a busload of new bodies ready to be shipped to their desired locations. His attention was stolen by the foil flower in his pocket. “It’s strange how they see things that aren’t really there.” His thoughts were interrupted by a rampaging voice.

“Flowers! Yak see you have metal flower. Pretty. But not as pretty as yak’s flowers. Yak sell you flowers if pony has bits.” The raggedy yak gestured to a bucket of roses by her side.

This Gallop hummed with a grin as he plucked out three fresh ones. “Here.” He levitated a few rainbow paper bit bills into the yak’s deposit box. “Yak can keep the change.”

The yak nervously smiled as she offered a plastic wrap to this Gallop. “Uh, thanks.”

*****

Entering Gallop’s house, this Gallop whistled. He dropped Galop’s keys on the stand by the front door. “Honey, I’m home.” A strange sensation filled his step. He felt like dancing as he made his way down the hallway to the master bedroom. “Dear?” Pushing the door open, he found himself actually thrilled to see the mare who slept on the bed, buried in the covers.

The mare stirred before finally waking up. “Sweetums.”

This Gallop searched his mind for the name. The name, he remembered. “Jasmine. I have something I’m going to give you.”

The mare slowly sat up. “What is it, sweetums?”

“I-.” This Gallop furrowed his brow. Something was wrong. He supposed he might be getting sick. He ignored it. “Flowers.” He unveiled the roses. “They are yours, now.”

The mare’s face regained some of its expression. “For me?” She hugged the roses and sniffed them. “They’re beautiful. Thank you, sweetums.” Jasmine leaned over to this Gallop and kissed him.

“Yes.” This gallop left the room, puzzled. He felt like he was getting sick. And another thing, he realized that the mare had never kissed him before. “Strange.” He locked his eyes on the basement door. “What is this? Why am I getting signals of disease? I am not infected, so what is this?” Trying to avoid the disturbance, he made his way to the living room and looked through the telescope set up in front of the larger window. Across the street, he could see a white shuttle autocarriage parked in front of the home of the draconequus. “Interesting.”

Author's Note: