• Published 22nd Oct 2019
  • 2,147 Views, 87 Comments

The Diary of Discord Wimp - ThePianoMan



When Discord is driven mad by the death of his friend Fluttershy, Celestia performs a spell that rewrites history...

  • ...
3
 87
 2,147

Evil Woman

“There is no fowler fiend…”
-Homer

The rain came down.

Front lawns had flooded over from the downpour, turning the sidewalks into waterfall fixtures that led the water into the gutters. On each side of the street was a growing stream that threatened to become a river and flood the street. Rain gutters almost burst at the seams as their drains shot water out like a fire hose. Windows and doors remained shut as the neighborhood residents took shelter inside their safe, warm, and dry homes. Only a lunatic would be caught outside in this sort of weather.

Discord cursed at whatever pegasus decided today was the day for the ocean to be dumped on Ponyville. After losing seven conjured umbrellas to the rain, he finally snapped a pair of diving suits onto him and Spike. The suits were heavy, but they were dry and warm. Spike was still weak from being so cold. Discord managed to snap a dolly into existence to lay Spike on. It was a bit terrifying to Discord as he felt his body get weak as well. His magic was affecting him somehow. He blamed it on teleporting twice in one day. Complaining wouldn’t help, so Discord made do without his magic.

Visibility had all but been cut off by a dense fog that had followed the downpour. It only made things more difficult for Discord as he tried to navigate a neighborhood he still wasn’t quite familiar with. Minutes became hours, or at least they were perceived that way. As every passing house looked more and more the same, so too did the street names.

“Help!” Discord opened the porthole of his diving helmet. “Anybody!” A flash of yellow and pink sent him off running. “Fluttershy! Wait!” He followed the blur of colors, going into a full sprint while towing Spike in the wagon. “Flutte-.” Discord pushed his body onwards around the next corner. To his astonishment, he saw Spike’s house, with the door open. Without wasting a second, Discord endured through his final struggle before falling into the house with Spike, forcing the door closed against the rain. “We made it.” He snapped the diving suits and wagon away.

“I never tho-.” Spike coughed up mucus and a little fire. “I never thought I’d be happy to be back here.” The dragon smiled at Discord, ultimately erupting into laughter with him.

Discord swung Spike’s radio around and tuned into the station of his. “Rainbow Dash, I found him. Tell my mom and Andee we’re at Spike’s house.”

It was only a few seconds before the radio flickered with its response. “Discord! Where was he? What happened?”

“I’ll tell you later. Just tell my mom and Andee to get over here.” Discord sighed, relieved that Rainbow was still listening. He admired her loyalty. “Oh, and tell Fluttershy, we’re both okay.” Switching off the radio, he dropped it on the floor.

For a while Discord just watched Spike, snapping up a blanket and a hot cup of soup for him. Discord made sure he ate it, even if he complained about the funny taste. He didn’t care so long as Spike warmed up. His eyes were getting tired from watching, but he was determined to see Spike look better before he even considered going to sleep. A rapping at the door woke him up before the entrance to Spike’s home swung open, letting in wind and rain.

Through it all, a soaking Redheart lunged in. “Boys!”

Discord let his laughter fall out as his mother smothered him. He didn’t care. He was glad to see here. “I’m fine. Check Spike.”

Redheart was on Spike in an instant, checking him for injuries. “He’s got a fever. It looks like he’ll be okay. But, we need to get him to a hospital to make su-.”

Discord flinched at the slamming door and clicking talons from inside the house. “Uh oh.”

Donna came storming in from down the hall. “There you are! You good for nothing welp! You know how much trouble you created for me?”

“Back off, Donna.” Redheart stood her ground between Spike and Donna. “What’s wrong with you?”

“What’s wrong with me? Are you serious?” Donna pointed at Discord. “What’s wrong with your freak of a son. This is all his fault for making Spike run away.”

“You witch.” Discord hissed. “You don’t deserve Spike as a son.” He stood up and was surprised to be swat in the face by Donna’s claws, sending him to the ground.

Redheart pulled Discord next to Spike and stood in front of them both. “How dare you hurt my son! I have every right to buck your face in!”

“Oh please. You’re so pathetic. You’re just a lame excuse for a mother stuck with a freak of a child.” Donna glared at Spike. “And as for you! I’ll deal with you, but not for much longer. I’ll be rid of you when I ship you off to boarding school.”

The front door creaked, announcing another arrival.

Discord had seen heartbreak before. It was dreadful as he first saw it on his friend and brother. He didn’t think he could see anything worse than that. That was until he saw the broken look on Andee’s face as he stepped through the front door.

There was an audible struggle in Andee’s breath as he stepped closer. “Donna? What?”

Donna began to stutter, looking for excuses that didn’t exist. “This isn’t what it seems like, Andesite. You’ve got to calm yourself before-.”

“Calm?!” Andee cut her off. “I’m insane. I am out of my mind. I must be.”

Donna cowered before the dragon as he approached her. “Dear, I don’t under-.”

Andee cut in again. “Understand? Let me make it crystal clear. I must be insane for even thinking I could ever trust you. Obviously I wasn’t thinking. I must be out of my mind for ever thinking you could love my son! Family! I should have seen this coming. You never talk about family. It’s always you, you, YOU! There is no family for you! It’s just little old selfish Donna! You don’t care about family!” Smoke billowed from his nostrils. “You don’t care about my son. He’s my life. If you don’t care about him, how could you possibly care about me? It’s over.”

Discord and Spike’s eyes went wide. Both were in utter disbelief in the words that just passed through Andee’s mouth.

Donna’s voice squeaked. “You don’t mean that.”

“I hope you find a decent pawn shop to sell that ring to.” Andee’s arm shot to a point towards the door. “Get out of my house.”

Neither Discord nor Spike had the full understanding of the situation as Donna scowled at them both and flew out into the rain. Both wanted to scream, cheer even. But, neither of them could. Even though Donna had just flown off, she left something behind.

Andee continued to stare off towards where Donna had been. His eyes failed first before his face lost control. Unsettling breaths were all that escaped him as he wiped his eyes. Soon his breaths became hard, spasming into gasps for air intermittently.

Spike crawled over to him, wrapping his arms around his father. “I’m sorry dad.”

“No.” Andee’s body shook as he embraced his son. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry.”

Discord held his mother close. He didn’t want to let go. Having seen all that he had seen. Every ounce of embarrassment, or resentment, had been seemingly washed away with a new understanding towards the love of parents. Discord felt an overwhelming gratitude as his mother returned his embrace. Something told him that she would be willing to give up everything, even happiness for him. He hoped he would never force her to that. But, the possibility was not lost on him as he watched Spike and Andee. Seeing how Andee cried, Discord understood that somewhere inside, Andee did love Donna. Once upon a time, they were in love. How long did it take for that to be lost? Discord wondered this. He wondered if Fluttershy would fall away from him like this. He hoped that would never come to be. Discord marvelled at the undying love between father and son, mother and son. He decided then and there, that if ever had the chance, he would build his own family. The draconequus believed now, there was never a love so much more promising, nor as sweet.

*****

Discord shivered under the towel and blanket wrapped around him. They did nothing against the cold of the hospital air conditioning. It made it that much harder to wait to hear how Spike was doing. The rain outside hadn’t let up either. Others, who had suffered from the rain’s effects, filled up the waiting area. Some slipped, some were from autocar accidents, and others were simply sick from exposure. A mopi box, a motion picture box, hung in the corner of the waiting room. The clunky mopi box had displayed nothing else besides reports on the progressively worsening storm. Weather forecasters explained that it would clear up by the end of the night, but warnings were still sent out to residents informing them to remain inside. Discord tried to ignore that commotion. It was confined to the curved crystal screen of the mopi box, so he ignored it.

“Discord.” Andee was waiting with Discord the whole time. “What Donna said, you’re not a freak.”

“It’s okay.” Discord nodded. “I’m used to hearing it by now.”

“I’m sorry if it’s that way.” Andee extended an arm to Discord’s shoulder. “Thank you for bringing Spike home. It was very brave of you to go out on your own, looking for him.”

Discord smiled. “I’d do anything for my brother.”

Andee smiled back. “If you were my son, I’d be proud to have you.”

“Ahem!” Redheart cleared her throat as she straightened her nurse’s hat.

“I know she’s proud of you.” Andee stood up and addressed Redheart. “How is he?”

Redheart looked over her clipboard. “He’s got a cold, and a few scrapes, but nothing serious. They’d like to keep him overnight though, just to make sure he’s recovering well.”

“Can I see him?” Andee pleaded.

Redheart nodded. “Of course.” She looked to Discord. “Family only for now.”

Discord nodded to his mother as she disappeared down the hall with Andee. There was a short bitterness to being left alone. However, that bitterness was quickly remedied by the crowd that burst into the waiting room. “Guys!”

“Discord!” Rainbow dashed across the room and tackled him to the ground. “You survived!”

“Not to brag, but I guess your awesomeness just rubbed off on me.” Discord chuckled as Rainbow squeezed him and gave his head a noogie.

Twilight slid to a halt. “Discord! How are you? Is Spike okay? Is he sick? Is he gonna make it? Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh!! Oh my gosh!!!”

“Twilight!” Discord snapped before smiling. “He’s gonna be okay.”

“Whew!” Twilight straightened her glasses before sitting down. “Good. I’m just gonna, breath.”

Discord looked at Big Mac. “Was she Twilighting the whole way?”

“E-yup.” Big Mac hummed his laugh. “Someone else is here to see you too.”

Discord frowned as Fluttershy approached him. “I’m sorry I couldn’t go back right away. I broke my promise.”

“No.” Fluttershy clung onto Discord, burying her face in his neck. “You came back. You didn’t disappear with Spike. You came back with him.”

Discord gave up on his towel and blanket as he picked Fluttershy up in his arms, carrying her to a seat. “I wouldn’t have made it if you weren’t out looking for me.”

Fluttershy locked eyes with Discord, confused. “I wasn’t out in the rain.”

“Then who-?” Discord tried to recall the flash of yellow and pink. He believed it was Fluttershy, but if it wasn’t, who else could it have been. “Maybe it was someone else, but I thought it was you. Either way, thinking of you got me and Spike out of that storm.” Though he verbally dismissed it, Discord’s mind lingered on the experience. He recalled the scuff marks in his room and by Spike’s radio. If it was the same being’s work, they had helped. But, the question as to why remained. “Thank you for being on my mind.”

Fluttershy nuzzled into Discord’s neck again, humming softly. “Thank you for keeping your promise.”

A police officer scuttled into the waiting room. It was obvious how uncomfortable he was. “Excuse me.”

Discord hugged Fluttershy a little title. Something was off. “Yes officer?”

The officer bowed his head quickly before speaking again. “Following up on that young dragon that was missing. Is he doing alright?”

“Yes,” Discord studied his face, “he’s a little under the weather. But, he’s getting better.”

The officer sighed with a smile full of relief. “Thank you. B-bye.” Just as quickly as he had come, the officer left.

Rainbow scratched her chin. “That was weird.”

Discord looked where the officer had been standing. The same scuff marks were there.

The hall door popped open. A pink body dressed in blue walked toward Discord and his friends. “Hello, children.”

Discord was a bit surprised to see it was another cop. He was also surprised because this griffon almost looked like Donna, but only as far as expression. This griffon was a bright hot pink with white feathers. Discord noticed too that she was looking at the scuff marks on the floor. “Hello officer. Is there anything we can do for you?”

The griffon officer smiled as she picked at the scuff marks. “I’m looking for my, uh, partner. Did you see him anywhere?”

Discord felt his collar buzz. He reached for it, and as he did, he noticed a certain look of surprise from the griffon. “N-no.” He stared at Rainbow Dash and then at Twilight. “We did not see any other police.”

The griffon flashed a peculiar grin. “Maybe he’s at the donut shop downstairs. Get it? It’s a cop joke.”

Discord laughed nervously, eyeing his friends until they did the same. “Good one officer.”

The griffon smiled her strange smile again before walking away down another hallway.

Rainbow’s fake laugh died out. “That was even weirder.”

Fluttershy brushed the side of Discord’s face. “What’s wrong?”

Discord shook his head. “I don’t think those two were actual cops.” Paranoia crept in as he clung tighter to Fluttershy, snapping his head towards any sudden movement, watching out for trouble.

Author's Note: