• Published 22nd Oct 2019
  • 2,145 Views, 87 Comments

The Diary of Discord Wimp - ThePianoMan



When Discord is driven mad by the death of his friend Fluttershy, Celestia performs a spell that rewrites history...

  • ...
3
 87
 2,145

Stranger On a Quiet Street

“...it is true, confront us with the perplexity…”
-Hannah

Another day… Another day… Another day…

The pony believed to be Gallop had been keeping himself busy. Answers required patience of an almost living nature. It required discretion. None ought to suspect. They must not inquire of sanity nor the peculiar attitudes of their neighbor. A fresh coat of paint must be had, and old newspapers must be disposed of for the coming of answers.

Mowing the grass… Watering the grass… Drinking drool…

This Gallop brushed Gallop’s mane after cleaning the comfortable filth of a hard day’s work away. “Presentable for answers. Presentable for reporting.” Satisfied with perfection, he perfected imperfection with a flick of his head. “I am one of them. They trust, and they comfortably pretend.”

A short walk into the kitchen, angered this Gallop.

He smiled. “Dear, whatever are you doing out of place?”

“No. Please.” The mare’s magic desperately raised an open pill bottle. “Where is he?”

This Gallop twitchingly smiled. “Where is who?”

“Gallop? Where is he?” The mare cried as this Gallop pulled the pill bottle away from her. “Gallop!”

“Quiet now.” This Gallop chuckled as he poured the pills down the kitchen drain, turned the water on, and ran the garbage disposal. “I’m right here, dear. Just calm down.”

The mare’s eyes were sunken with rage as she pulled out a kitchen knife. “Where-?” Her voice trailed off into incoherent mumbling. “-don’t hurt.”

“I’m not gonna hurt ya.” This Gallop tilted his head, his teeth flaring in a strange smile from under his dripping lips. “Just give me the knife.”

“No!” The mare sent the knife flying at this Gallop who pinned her against the countertop, the knife now through one of his forelegs. The struggle was muted by the gargling of the garbage disposal’s metal teeth.

“Oh, dear. Look at that. You’ve gone and hurt me. But that’s okay, because I understand how hard you work all day.” This Gallop caressed the mare’s face. “You know I forgive you. You know why, don’t you.”

“No.” The mare wept as his face neared hers. “You’re not him.”

“You know I love you.” This gallop planted a kiss on the mare’s lips. “There. Better?’

The mare stared into nothing for a moment before slowly smiling. “I love you too, sweetums.” She looked at this leg with the knife. “Oh, sweetums. What happened?”

“An accident dear. Nothing a few painkillers and bandages can’t fix.” This Gallop turned off the garbage disposal. “You look a little tired. Maybe you should rest until you feel better.”

“Okay, sweetums.” The mare carefully side stepped this Gallop and headed for the hallway.

The pony the mare was reminded was Gallop, smiled. Almost sadly. “I’ll be meeting a business partner later. So, feel free to rest as long as you like.” Hearing a door close, he brought his foreleg to the sink and pulled out the knife. “Hm. Nice shot.” A joke, he hadn’t had one of those in a while. It scared him. The momentary flash of fear subsides when he saw his leg devoid of fluids or even a gash. “This should be interesting.”

The Gallop in the kitchen methodically cleaned the knife and returned it to its home in a block with other knives. Aftering wrapping the perfectly fine leg in bandages, he made his way out to the curb, where his mailbox was. He had to check Gallop’s mail.

When this Gallop passed through the front door, however, he paused at the sight of a hot pink dragoness with white spines, that was looking through Gallop’s mail. “Excuse me.” He softly exhaled the words to make sure. As though on cue, the dragoness turned and smiled with a wink as she straightened her sweatband.

This Gallop almost choked on his own excitement as he restrained his form from running forward. He calmly walked up to the dragoness standing by the mailbox with Gallop’s mail. “Good afternoon, Honeybee. Could I interest you in a glass of water.”

The dragoness went back to looking through Gallop’s mail. “I’ve come for juice, not water.”

This Gallop became a little frustrated as he frantically looked around the neighborhood.

The dragoness smiled as she flipped over a coupon. “Don’t draw too much attention to yourself.”

“But, out here? In view of our enemies?” This Gallop loosened up his shoulders.

The dragoness laughed. “But, of course. You called me here to show me that new protein cake. Didn’t you? And besides, I have no desire to gaze upon your unchewed food.” She held onto a flyer and one of the coupons, handing the mail off to the Gallop beside her. “Is you’re leg okay?”

This Gallop nodded. “Clean through. I’m a bit excited. I’ve never had the pleasure of boasting pain to anyone before. It should be an interesting experience.”

“I see.” The dragoness’s head perked up, ear frills twitching. “Now, this is about the time, isn’t it?”

They watched as the red school bus came along and parked across the street.

The dragoness’s nose flared with the smell she didn’t believe existed. The smell was full of complexity, and above all, it was swollen with power. “This is most conflicting.”

“What is it?”

The dragoness ignored the Gallop beside her. “Keep practicing your baking skills, and I suggest you take up bird watching. I would love to know what other birds interact with the eagle that has landed here.” The dragoness walked off with the coupon and flyer. “Ciao.”

This Gallop eyed the draconequus across the street as he danced to a small musical device slung over his shoulder. “Peculiar flight patterns.” He power walked back into Gallop’s house. A few sharp turns took him down stairs to the basement with the flickering radio lights and the moaning shower curtain. After pilfering through a pile of cardboard boxes, this Gallop’s horn shined a bit brighter with the magic that held up a telescope. “The right tool for the job.” He looked to the shower curtain. “Now, there is a curiosity picking my mind. What exactly was it that she saw in you? I look the part she needs, is that not enough?”

The Gallop with the telescope headed back to the staircase that lead up. But, he stopped at the bottom. He turned back to the silent curtain. “Maybe looks aren’t everything.”

Author's Note: