• Published 6th Oct 2017
  • 5,310 Views, 139 Comments

Changing Fates - Ulthor



It should have been so simple, just make some friends, find the elements and beat the villain that tries to make the night last forever… Well, perhaps not simple per say, but expected, but that's not always how it goes.

  • ...
20
 139
 5,310

Friends and Family

Author's Note:

Sorry it took so long to make everypony, there were a few issues, but the biggest one was that the chapter I originally made wasn't to my liking, so I had to redo it, and then redo it again as I didn't like that one either.


In any case, enjoy everypony.

Chapter 08


*Ponyville, a few hours before sunrise*


The ponies were all asleep at this point, otherwise they may have noticed that the dark night sky seemed to be even darker then normal, the stars nor the moon could be seen, only a black like sky was all over Ponyville, as the Changelings had arrived and were now hovering over them, before they all went in to cease the village without anypony even realizing they were doing so

They didn't need to do anything special either, they had no reason to have the normal villagers know it happened, as such they simply changed their appearances to that of the royal guards, when the ponies would wake that morning, they would simply be told that it was a safety procedure, since the elements had all but vanished into thin air, at least that's how it would look like for the villagers and the rest of Equestria.

Right now however, the Changelings knew they had to do one more thing, as they started to form shields of their own around the houses, they didn't know exactly what would happen once they would make their move, but it was likely that Luna would not just surrender easily, so they decided to put up these shields to both protect the villagers, and to block any sound and light that may wake them from their slumber, as to make it seem like nothing ever happened.

That didn't mean they wouldn't try to do it as stealthily as they could however, as one of them turned into Rarity and walked towards Luna's front door and knocking, it took a few moments, but it was soon opened by Luna, who then looked at the fake Rarity with a raised eyebrow. "Rarity? What are you doing at my doorstep at this time of night? … And looking like… That…"

The fake Rarity looked at her own outfit, from what they saw the pony wear before, she had been quite the trend setter, and since the outfit had been ruined by mistake, they had opted to get a new outfit. "You like it? It's the latest in haute couture… I was hoping I could speak with you for a moment if possible your highness."

Luna lowered her raised eyebrow and now had a neutral look on her face. "Is that so? Very well, come on inside Rares, I'll prepare some snacks, I should still have some of those chocolate covered carrots you like so much."

"Ah.. Uhm… Y-yes, that would be lovely your highness." The false Rarity said as she headed inside while thinking. "I didn't know the princess and this pony were on a nickname basis… And who in their right mind likes chocolate covered carrots?"

The Changeling noticed too late her own mistake as the door slammed shut and a barrier formed around the house, before she could even turn around however, she found a ethereal sword aimed at her throat. "Who are you?" Luna then asked.

Still in a disguise the Changeling tried to get out of the situation by acting like she didn't know what she was talking about. "W-whatever do you mean your highness? I-it's me, Rarity."

"Oh please, don't insult me like I don't know, Rarity wouldn't be up at this time to start with, it interferes with her beauty sleep, but even if she were up, then she definitely wouldn't wear anything from Flash Brand, not after that heated fight they had last time." Luna replied as she then made the sword float a bit closer to the fake Rarity's throat. "And you really messed up when you kept calling me 'your highness', sure it took a while, but she never calls me that anymore, plus when you just let me call you 'Rares' and accepted the whole her liking that kind of food as a snack, it really confirmed what I thought, now tell me, who are you and what have you done to her!?"

The Changeling swallowed and realized she wasn't going to get out of here by talking, then perhaps a slight shock might give her the chance, so she undid her disguise and prepared to take off the moment she would see a shocked Luna, instead she was faced by Luna who didn't even seem phased, shocking the Changeling instead.

Luna raised her voice a bit. "I said speak! Who are you and where did you take my friend!?"

Shaken and uncertain what to say, the Changeling opted for talking, but her training at least made her know not to give up too much information. "I-I'm a Changeling…"

"I didn't ask what you are, I know that, I asked who you are, and where my friend is!" Luna repeated, she was losing her patience with this Changeling, what hive did she even come from?

By now the Changeling got over her initial shock, as such she looked back in defiance. "You won't be able to make me betray my kind, I will sooner die then tell you anything, you traitor!"

Luna raised her sword. "Very well then, prepare yourself." The Changeling closed her eyes and awaited her immediate demise, instead being knocked out cold by the hilt rather then die by the blade, Luna then walked towards the door once more as she undid the sword. "Traitor huh? There's only one hive that would even consider me to have been close enough to get that tittle, and I doubt they would hurt others if they don't have to." She then opened the door and undid the barrier while walking outside.

The Changelings didn't fully know what to make of it, they had lost contact with the one that went inside the moment the shield had gone up, but it was obvious she had been uncovered, yet Luna was walking to the middle of town like nothing had happened and then sat down, they were wondering if they should all just rush her or if it was some kind of trap.

Before they could decide however, Luna spoke up for all to hear. "I know you’re here Chrysalis, I don't want to fight you or your Changelings, the one you sent for me is unconscious but otherwise fine aswell, so show yourself so we can talk peacefully, and I doubt I could take on all your warriors here on my own, so you don't have to worry about any trickery."

A few moments passed, but Chrysalis decided to show up, disguised as Celestia and walking up to her as if nothing was wrong. "I don't know what your talking about, 'dear sister'."

Luna scowled at her, which surprised Chrysalis a little bit, she knew that Luna had likely hated her but she d… "Your taste has become quite poor to wear 'her' face and voice, and don't call me sister while wearing her face, I don't want her to ever call me that again, not after what she did to Twilight!" Luna suddenly said, interrupting Chrysalis' thoughts.

Chrysalis stammered for a moment. "W-what do you mean? What did she do to… I mean, what did I… Ah forget it." She then undid her disguise and glared back at Luna. "Now what do you mean? What did she do to my daughter!?"

Luna's face seemed to change to a more calm expression. "It's nothing physical at least, so you don't have to worry about that at least, it's more of a mental thing she did… Aswell as not coming clean at the end when she was given the chance it…" She then sighed. "It's kind of a long story, and to full explain it I need to tell you what truly happened in the past, even if you don't trust or believe me you should at least hear it."

"Why? Why would you think I would listen to your lies to make us doubt ourselves?" Chrysalis asked as her glare intensified. "We don't need your lies, all I want is my daughter back, and perhaps some vengeance for what happened."

Luna looked Chrysalis straight in the eyes with conviction. "Feel free to do to me what you want, you deserve that much, and I will accept whatever you decide will happen to me, but at least know the full story first, regardless of whether you think it's true or not… As for Twilight, she's currently not in town and I have no idea where she truly is, all I know is she's learning more about Changelings by being among them."

"You lie!" Chrysalis shouted. "You have her locked away here somewhere! I know it! Just like you have done so for all those years! Where's my daughter!?" She had tears in her eyes when she shouted that last part.

Luna's face wavered slightly, it saddened her to see her old friend with such an expression. "I'm not lying, you can search through the whole village, tear my mansion apart if you must, but you will not find her… But since it's you, you can likely feel her connection if you concentrate hard enough, I may not know where she is, but I have the feeling she's somewhere close by… But Chrysalis… I don't think you should see her without knowing the full story first, you need to know that the life she had h…" Luna suddenly found her mouth clogged up by a wad of goo.

"Shut up! I won't fall for your lies!" Chrysalis expected Luna to fight it, perhaps even her, so she could fight back and feel better as she would use everything to beat Luna.

But to Chrysalis' surprise, Luna didn't fight it at all, she was a bit shocked at first when the goo hit, but Luna knew at least that this goo wouldn't prevent her from breathing, even if it was a weird feeling to breath a liquid, as such Luna just stood there with a look on her face of sadness and perhaps a little bit of pity, Chrysalis clenched her teeth in rage.

"You… You… At least fight back so I can feel better about defeating you!" Chrysalis shouted with tears in her eyes as she pelted Luna with more goo, but Luna never fought back as the goo covered her and soon formed a chrysalis around her, and once done, Chrysalis was breathing heavily from the constant barrage she had put her all in, before more tears came out. "Why… Why didn't you just fight back?"

As Chrysalis cried silently, her Changelings combed the town, trying to find any inkling of their princess, but came up empty hooved, as such Fastfoot walked up to her. "You highness? We combed the village but…"

"You didn't find her, did you? … I should have known, Luna might have betrayed us, but… Her actions just now, she just… She didn't even put up a fight, she didn't even try… Perhaps… Perhaps what she said has some value at least…" Chrysalis said as she didn't know what to say anymore, her face filled with sorrow, from both wanting her daughter back and the odd feeling that perhaps, just perhaps, this all happened because of some kind of mistake, she soon shook her head though, that couldn't be true, she shouldn't think such things, not till she at least had her daughter back at least.

Fastfoot felt the doubt however, and reflected on what he had done, wondering if it could have been avoided, but then he took a deep breath, he needed to be strong for his queen right now, as he then looked at her. "Your highness, what princess Luna said about the connection, you could at least try, if anypony tries something we'll be here to protect and warn you, at this point there shouldn't be any of them that can stand against us anyway.

Chrysalis sighed as she nodded. "I suppose your right… Alright, make the arrangements, find a safe place that's easily defendable for me to do so just in case." She then said as she disguised herself once more, this time as Luna, she figured it would cause less ponies to question her being there then Celestia, seeing as Luna had been living there for some time now, but perhaps there was more to it then that.

They thought about using Luna's mansion at first, but since it belonged to Luna and this was basically her idea, they couldn't be certain that she hadn't meant for them to go there before some trap was sprung, so they went to the only other place they found that might be safe, a place they had originally thought was just a big tree in town, upon closer inspection it had turned out to be a library of sorts however, and it also seemed that somepony had been living there, but whoever it was, wasn't there right now, so thy decided to pick that place, and Chrysalis started to concentrate on a link.


*Twilight's starting hive, about an hour ago*

Twilight had been burning the night away, as she experimented a little with her new connection to the nymphs, that were now all connected to her through a real hivemind with her, which had earned her a few more antennae by the way, she was being careful however, since the ones connected to her were afterall only nymphs at this point, and not full grown Changelings.

She scribbled down some notes as she talked to herself. "Hmm, interesting, it's easier to make use of this mental enhancement while their asleep, but why? Earlier it was like I was using their subconscious to enhance my own capabilities, but I'm not doing so now, their fully using it for their dreams afterall… Which is interesting aswell, how do I know this? Is it because of my dream walker abilities? But I wasn't able to do that before… Perhaps it's some kind of combination with that and the hivemind… Hmm, I wonder if there's some other use for this other then just knowing their doing so…"

A knock was heard on the door and Twilight got up to check who it was, once she opened it, she saw Nightdash on the other side, who didn't seem so pleased. "Your highness, why are you still awake? Isn't your sleeping schedule more like that of a pony? Us Changelings might not need as much sleep, but if your used to that and with your other side, it might actually effect you, your going to run yourself ragged this way."

Twilight blushed slightly as she scratched behind her back. "Ah! Well… I've actually always been more of a night owl in that regard, plus ever since I started dream walking I haven't felt as tired anymore… Actually…" She put a hoof to her chin as she thought for a moment before continuing. "Now that I think about it, that was also the first time I found out about my Changeling side, though I didn't know what to make of it at the time and thought that it was just something Discord had done to me… And ever since I came here I've been feeling less and less tired aswell… Hmm, I wonder if…" She stopped as she saw the deadpan look in Nightdash's eyes. "And I'm rambling again."

Nightdash chuckled. "Just a smidge your highness, it's one of the many things we've come to know and love about you your highness, we know how you can get lost in your thoughts… Though perhaps you should be careful with that your highness."

Twilight raised an eyebrow out of interest. "Oh? How so? Are you worried that I'll get so lost in my thoughts that I'll not get out of it at some point?" She then joked.

A small laugh escaped Nightdash's muzzle before she shook her head and looked a little serious. "It's just that… you might influence someling over the hivemind your highness, especially the young ones, which is all you have right now."

A gasp came from Twilight as she was now worried. "Oh gosh, I'm not overloading them with my thoughts am I? Wait, their not hearing all my thoughts right? I've been wondering about a few things that I'm not sure is safe for them and… And… Argh! I'm doing it again! I need to stop right now!"

Nightdash placed a comforting hoof on Twilight's shoulder and shook her head. "It's nothing like that your highness, do you really think I would be this calm right now if it were? My daughter is connected to your hivemind afterall, and while I wouldn't go against you or try to stop you if you decided to continue, I'm sure you'd see or feel my worries in that case your highness."

Twilight let out a relieved sigh. "That's right… I'm sorry, it seems I still get easily flustered over things like this, even after all that training I had with Luna to become proper royalty."

"Don't worry about it your highness, it's what makes you, you. Plus there's all sorts of different royalty out there, Changeling queens basically just act how they want, they try to be courteous and noble like when they meet up, but in their own hives they all act differently, one will be really uptight as you call it while the other will basically not care at all, so you should just remain yourself." Nightdash smiled gently as she said so.

"If you say so… And I'd like to hear more on this later, but right now, I would be more interested in knowing what you meant by my thoughts could influence those connected to my hivemind." Twilight replied as she remembered what they were talking about originally.

"It's quite simple really." Nightdash began. "We Changelings exist to serve our queen, so we tend to adapt to her way of thinking, for example if a queen would have her thoughts filled with ways of improving the hive, then the Changelings will start to wonder aswell and work towards such a goal, while if conquest would be on her mind, the Changelings would grow more militaristic and strategic, and queens know this. But they also know that what they want is not always the best, so one that would want conquest will attempt to suppress that thought, since it might get the attention of other hives that want to remain hidden, the same can be said with bettering the hive, a thought like that can be too general, making the hive spread itself too thin to improve in all sorts of ways, so they try to focus on certain areas."

Twilight sighed as she put her hoof to her forehead. "… I see, so when I'm worrying about you all and wondering about how some things work."

"Then they will likely worry about us all the time and try to find answers they can't answer, yes, it's especially frustrating for little nymphs if their unable to be of help right after they join the hivemind, normally this is offset by there at least being some adult Changelings that they know can help before they get their names and can grow up, but…"

Twilight groaned. "The only adult in this hivemind is me… There are plenty of others here, but they likely feel like you all can't help as much because you can't feel what I feel…" She then sighed. "Guess I really do need to name them soon huh?"

Nightdash nodded. "That would be best, it would mature them quickly and they could become regular Changelings soon after, they would still be in an adolescence stage, but it would stabilize their thoughts more… Also, to be honest, I'm not sure how it might truly effect them, as you seem to get answers on your own aswell as make the questions, your quite interesting that way your highness, most would just leave things like that to the hive itself."

Twilight chuckled slightly at that. "Well, I quite enjoy figuring things out myself, I've always done so, it's not something I feel the hive should have to do for me, I feel like they should focus a bit on whatever they want to focus on themselves, not what I'm thinking of…" She raised her hoof to her chin once more. "Hmm… Let's see, perhaps we should start with your daughter then… Do you think she would like the name Fate Breaker? I think it's a bit fitting since she was the first to break that terrible fate that would have happened had we not made a connection."

Nightdash's face lit up as a single tear rolls down her cheek. "My daughter has a name now, and such a pretty name, thank you your highness." She then bows deeply.

Twilight always felt slightly uncomfortable when they bowed normally, but even more so when they did it deeply, she knew they wouldn't stop though, she even doubted that those that she'd influence would ever stop, so she just accepted it, even if she felt they shouldn't. "I'll tell her the name tomorrow when she wakes up, I hope she'll be as excited as you ar…" She was then interrupted by a sudden 'Woohoo' that likely everyling in the village had heard.

As Twilight looked outside to see where it came from, Nightdash chuckled. "That would be little Fate Breaker, your highness, when a Changeling is granted their name, they instantly know it, it would be quite troubling if a queen of a big hive had to visit them all personally or tell them over the hivemind afterall, seeing as there are a few big hives out there."

"Aww, but I actually wanted to tell her myself." Twilight replied with a slightly sour expression.

Nightdash seemed a bit apologetic. "I'm sorry your highness, I should have told you so you could give her, her name when she woke up yourself…" She also seemed to fidget a little as if wanting to go somewhere. "Uhm… Your highness? Is it alright if I go and check on her? I would like to see what type of Changeling she became and what kind of role she could take… I mean I know she'll just be a drone and all, but since she was the first to connect to you, I want to see if she could take on a role of personal maid or something else."

Twilight had a look of surprise on her face. "You can see that?" She then quickly shook her head. "No, I mean… Sure, go to her, I'll come with you even."

Nightdash thanked Twilight as they ran towards where the 'woohoo' had come from, to their surprise several other Changelings had gathered around and were looking stunned from what they were seeing, which made Nightdash nervous. "W-what is it? I-is my daughter alright? Did something go wrong?"

As Nightdash and Twilight looked at what they were looking at they were surprised to see a female young Changeling that had a slight lavender hue mixed into the black hue of their normal carapaces, her eyes were a full lavender color, her wings were like miniature versions of Twilight's bug like, see through pegasus wings, she also looked thinner and her carapace was long as it fell behind her and slightly moving gently as she moved, almost like some kind of coat, in fact it looked a bit like a lab coat.

Not knowing what she was looking at, and also worried about her daughter, Nightdash looked around for a moment. "What… Who are you? And has anyling seen my daughter?"

"Momma, it's me! Fate Breaker!" The young Changeling suddenly said as she hugged Nightdash. "Isn't it amazing? I'm not a normal drone at all! I wonder what kind of Changeling I am? Am I a useful kind? Noling here has told me anything so far, they haven't answered any of my questions at all, it's like they don't know or something, but that can't be, right mom? … Momma?"

Nightdash blinked for a moment, then hugged her. "Is… Is it really you sweetie?"

Fate chuckled as she returned the hug. "Of course it is momma, but what am I exactly? I haven't heard of this type of Changeling from you at all, I mean I know why my wings and color scheme are like this now, but the other changes are like nothing I've ever heard before, which makes me wonder if I'll be of much use… I am useful, right mom?" She sounded a little worried as she asked.

Nightdash wanted to reply straight away, but the truth was… "I don't know sweetie, I've never seen or even heard of a Changeling like you before… But you do sound a little bit like…"

"Me." Twilight suddenly chimed in. "Oh my gosh! This is because I was thinking and feeling like I was when I named her, isn't it? Oh no, did I… Did I break her?"

At this point Fate Breaker and Twilight were both about to panic when Nightdash suddenly yelled. "It's fine!" She then looked at both of them, but not with a worried look, but one that pretty much says it'll be fine. "Your highness, you don't need to worry at all, nor do you Fate, if this is what I think it is, then it's nothing bad, in fact it's a good thing." She smiled as a proud feeling came from her. "It's said that at the beginning besides the queen, only drones existed, but as time passed and the needs changed, some of them turned out differently, mutations to better suit the hive and the queen, I think you mutated into a new type Fate, one that will prove to be just right for our queen in due time."

Fate's face changed from one of worry to one of expectations almost instantaneously. "You think so? That… That's amazing! I wonder what it is I can do though..." Several options flew through her mind. "Oh! I can hardly wait to find out!"

Twilight however was a still a bit worried as she walked up to Nightdash. "Are you sure it's alright? From how everyling was reacting, I get the feeling that this isn't something that happens very often."

Nightdash nodded as she smiled. "That's true, but its fine, there hasn't been a mutation like this for decades, but that's because all the different Changelings that we imagined were important had been created already, at least that's what I think, at some point the queens likely didn't see the need for new mutations and it stopped, but you think differently then them your highness… A mutation is quite rare however, I heard that for the queens that had them, at most there were only one or two in the past." A small tear seemed to form in the corner of her eye, but it seemed to be one of joy with the feelings that came with it. "I can't believe my little one didn't only get to be the first to link with you, but was also able to become something greater then I thought imaginable."

"I… I see." Twilight sighed from relief. "Well, you know more about this then me, so I'll trust you know what your talking about and not worry anymore." She then looked a bit closer at Fate Breaker. "You know, she sorta looks like a scientist, and she's sorta acting like one."

"A scientist your highness? You mean like a researcher? But why would she turn into a different form of something that already exists?" Another Changeling that was listening suddenly asked.

Twilight looked at him. "Ah, that's not exactly right, a researcher only researches the theory of things, a scientist however will think of the theory and then does the practical part aswell, this often leads them to new discoveries aswell… Also, many researchers will stop once they feel they reached the end of their research, but a scientist will go beyond that to see just how far the actual end line is, at times they even push the boundary beyond what should be possible."

"And you think that she's one of these scientists, your highness?" The Changeling then asked.

"Hmm." Twilight thought about it for a moment before replying. "Well, she certainly looks one and acts like I do when I do stuff like that, I've put on a lab coat myself a few times you see, and I have been called a bit of a mad scientist a few times as I experimented, so she may just b…" She suddenly stops talking as she looks around, as if trying to sense something in the air. "Does anyling else feel that?"

Jackshade walked up to her. "Feel what your highness? Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, it's just that…" Twilight felt it again and looked around some more. "It feels so… Familiar."

Fate seemed to also feel it this time as she looked at Twilight. "Your highness, it feels like someling is trying to tug at your hivemind in order to find us, as long as we don't react to it they won't find us but… It feels slightly…" She began as she looked towards her mother.

Twilight then realized what she meant. "Mother… I… I'm not sure if I'm ready for this yet…" She felt slightly nervous as she swallowed the chunk in her throat. "W-what should I do?"

Nightdash smiled as she looked at Twilight. "It's up to you, your highness, if you want to see her already or not, we will be by your side regardless of what you decide, but may I suggest you at least let her know your alright? Every mother deserves to at least know their child is alright."

Twilight looked to the side as she was trying to slightly come to terms with these strange new feelings. "Y-yes, your right, I should at least let her know that much…" She then took a deep breath as she tried to calm herself. "So… How do we do this?"

Fate suddenly spoke up. "Since she's tugging at your hivemind, she's basically telling us which direction she's in herself, if you want to let her know where we are you simply do the same your highness, but if you want to let her know your fine without connecting to hers, then perhaps you should send someling else, she'd likely know they'd be send by you since she's focusing on you, and other Changelings wouldn't show up since only you or those connected to you would feel it, so she should understand that they came from your hive by that logic." She then took a small pause as she noticed the others were looking at her and realized why. "Did… Did I really just say all that?"

Her mother Nightdash suddenly smiled as she looked at Twilight. "Well your highness, it seems like you were right about her being something like a scientist now, only those that get a class based on intelligence could come up with something like that so quickly, but to think she would adapt to her class so quickly after only just getting it, it's quite a special class, isn't it?"

"I guess so." Twilight said as she cocked an eyebrow. "It would be easier to say it would be or not if I had some data to back up some other options."

"I'll get right on that your highness!" Fate suddenly blurted out, before she put a hoof to her mouth. "I'm sorry, I just had this sudden urge to do it, its like I…"

Twilight interrupted her as she suddenly chuckled. "I think I know just how you felt, it's something I've often felt myself… I had to contain my excitement more then once when I was with Celestia in the past, it might be a bit harder for you since this isn't just a small part of you but it's literally who you are now… I'll try and teach you how to contain your excitement a bit for the future, just in case there's ever another queen around and we have to act all royal like and such."

Fate bowed slightly. "Thank you your highness, that would likely be for the best… Is… Is it alright if I write this all down now by any chance? Since this change is happening to me right now, I feel it would be for the best if I wrote down everything as I experience it, since I feel like I've changed more then I normally would, I feel smarter and more… Adult like perhaps?"

Twilight chuckled once more. "Feel free to do just that, I'll look forwards to reading your notes and finding out more along with you." She replied as a thought suddenly came to her. "Huh, this must be how others must have felt about me whenever I did that… Interesting, I never thought I'd see it all from their perspective, it's quite… intriguing."

Nightdash cleared her throat. "Excuse me your highness, but it sounded like you want one of us to go and search for your mother, to let her know and all that, I'm the fastest runner here right now, so I'd gladly search for her if you want, all I'd need is the direction of where I could find her."

Twilight snapped out of her thoughts. "Ah! Yes, that would be great, thanks Nightdash, hold on a moment while I try to see where the tug is coming from." She then focuses on the mental tug that's happening and looks in the direction, she was about to point towards it, but suddenly realizes something. "Huh… Wait, isn't that the direction Ponyville is in?"

Nightdash looks to where Twilight is looking. "Hmm, yes it is your highness, perhaps she found out you lived there and went searching for you, though it's also the direction of those ruins in which your gryphon friend is living at."

For a moment Twilight thought about why she would be feeling a tug coming from there, sure, what Nightdash said made sense, if her mother had found out, then she could have started her search there, but there was also some kind of uncomfortable feeling that she just couldn't place, yet felt familiar. "Nightdash and Jackshade, please escort me to Gilda, I've got a strange feeling about all this."

Nightdash and Jackshade bowed as they agreed, but Nightdash did ask one thing. "Why there your highness? I mean I get that your worried about your friend, but if your mother is really searching for you, then why would she go there?"

"I'm not worried about her actually, the tug is coming from further then that, I'm fairly certain it's coming from Ponyville in fact…" Twilight then sighed. "And the odd feeling I'm getting isn't coming from the tug actually, but it feels… Familiar, and if it is what I think it is, then I want to make sure she's safe, she doesn't have the rest of the elements of harmony to protect her afterall."

"Can they really use the elements without you though your highness?" Nightdash then asked.

Twilight shook her head in a uncertain way. "I don't know, but at least they have a chance with them, and perhaps they can find somepony to replace me, or already did…"

Nightdash felt this likely was a painful subject right now. "I understand, we will come with you to make sure miss Gilda is safe then."

"Thank you…" Twilight said as she looked at the other Changelings. "The rest of you, please prepare for the worst, I don't know what'll happen, but I want to make sure we're prepared regardless." The Changelings saluted as they spread out to prepare and Twilight looked at the two still with her. "Let's go."

They then headed out for the ruin where Gilda is living at.

=====+++=====

A little bit later, Twilight and the two Changelings arrive at the ruins.

Before heading inside however, Twilight looks in the direction of Ponyville as the tug was getting stronger. "It seems mother is definitely in Ponyville…" She then looks a bit to the side where the odd feeling is coming from, as she realizes it's coming from the direction that Canterlot is in. "… I hope I'm wrong about this…" She takes one more breath to compose herself as she then walks into the ruined castle.

It didn't take long to find Gilda, since they could follow the smell that came from her cooking something in a makeshift kitchen, which she had made from the ruins of the old kitchen.

Gilda didn't notice them at first, till she turned around and saw them. "Gah!" She was so surprised from their sudden appearance that she dropped her food, as she hadn't heard or smelled them, plus she hadn't seen Twilight in her full queen form yet. "… Twilight? Is that you? Jeez, don't scare me like that, when did you get so stealthy anyway?" She then looks at her dropped food and grumbles. "Well, I hope you don't mind me not serving you any snacks, cause it'll take a bit too long to make new ones."

Twilight just smiled and hugged her. "That's alright, I'm just glad your alright."

"Uh… Okay?" Gilda replied a bit confused, but she did return the hug. "So then, what's up? And don't give me that it's nothing crud, I doubt you'd show up while acting this concerned, unless something was wrong, you know I can take care of myself afterall."

Twilight let go of her and sighed. "I know, I wouldn't try to keep this from you anyway, just in case I'm right…"

Gilda raised an eyebrow. "Oh? It must be quite something if you came to check up on me, especially if you don't even know if your right about it… What's going on here Twilight?"

Twilight groaned slightly as she thought about the odd yet familiar feeling. "It's a feeling I'm having… I've only ever felt it once before, and I think it means that Discord is going to show up again."

"Discord?" Gilda asked as she thought about the name for a moment. "You mean the guy that you told me about? The one that made everything go all wonky? That Discord?"

"Ugh, yeah, it's not like he did anything truly dangerous himself, but he was a pain to beat, especially when he altered the minds and personalities of the others… If he really does get out and finds out your my friend, he may want to get his revenge through you, so I wanted to make sure you were alright at least." Twilight replied.

"What about those Changelings that your now the queen of? Aren't you worried about them?" Gilda asked in response as she looked to the two next to Twilight.

Jackshade took a step forwards as he replied. "Changelings are resistant to his tricks, our mind and personalities can't be altered thanks to our hivemind and if he alters our bodies, we can just turn back to our own forms on our own, we're also extremely adaptive to our surroundings, so unless he'd try to actually do us bodily harm, he'd likely just give up after trying."

"And from what our queen has told us, Discord isn't actually that dangerous, since he never harmed anypony physically… Though I do wonder why you haven't told us this was what you were afraid of your highness." Nightdash then added as she looks at Twilight.

Twilight let out a small nervous chuckle as she placed a hoof behind her head in a slightly apologetic way. "Sorry about that, I didn't want to cause a panic since I don't know if it's true, it's just a feeling I'm having."

Gilda tapped her beak as she had a thought. "Hey Twilight? What are you going to do if this feeling turns out to be true?"

The two Changelings now also looked at Twilight who swallowed before replying. "It'll depend on what he'll do… But if he's going to act the same as before, then I'll have to stop him… So I'm going to go to Ponyville and find out what the others really feel about me, hopefully I was just making it all worse then it is in my mind and they'll forgive me."

Nightdash looked a bit worried. "Are you sure your highness? You know your mother is there aswell, are you ready to see her again this soon? You seemed to be unsure of whether or not you were before."

"I know, but I'll have to if I want to go see my friends, she'd know if I were disguised and if I'm that close, and with all this tugging at my hivemind, she would likely find me right away, it may not show where the other is without tugging back, but I feel like that's likely only true if it's at a distant… So I'll just have t…" Twilight was interrupted by Gilda as she spoke.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa… Your not talking about the one that raised you, are you? Mind filling me in here Twi?" Gilda interjected.

Twilight blinked a few times. "Ah, right… I forgot that you didn't know… Well, my real mother is in Ponyville right now, and… I'm not quite sure why she is, but I'm still unsure if I'm ready to just meet her like this… What if she doesn't accept me as I am? What if she actually did turn evil after all that time? … What if I still want her in my life even if she became evil? Does that make me evil? Will others think I am?" Tears were slowly starting to form in the corners of her eyes.

The two Changelings seemed worried for her but were unsure if they could do something, Gilda however, instantly went for a tight hug. "Shh, shh, shh, it's alright Twilight, just let it all out, I'm here for you, I'll always be here for you." She then said as Twilight burst out into tears.

After a few minutes Twilight stopped crying. "Thanks… I needed that, it seems like your always there when I need someone to feel better."

"Hey, what are friends for, right? I'll always be there for you Twi, just like you were there for me." Gilda replied, before a small thought came to her. "And hey, if you do go all evil on us, then I'll just have to follow you to the dark side till you get bored of it." She jokingly added.

Twilight playfully jabbed Gilda. "You better, I don't know what I'd do without a loyal general at my side." They then shared a laugh. "But seriously though, if something like that were to ever happen, just give me a good slap and tell me to snap out of it."

"Ho~? Your into that kind of play are you? Kinky~" Gilda replied with a certain look on her face.

Twilight instantly blushed and stammered. "Wha, I… I didn't… What are…" She then saw Gilda's expression start to change as she could barely hold in her laughter, making Twilight deadpan at her. "Oh, ha, ha! You know, one of these days your going to say something you'll regret, with all this joking around, someling or somepony might actually think you mean it."

"Perhaps, but I may not regret it even then you know?" Gilda then replied with a smile on her face, confusing Twilight for a moment. "In any case, it sounds like you could use some moral support… And perhaps some actual support if this turns into a fight, so I'm coming with you to Ponyville."

Twilight instantly panicked. "What? No! I can't have you come with me if there's a chance Discord will show up, what if he hurts you?"

Gilda rolled her eyes. "Oh please, I'm tougher then I look, and I look plenty tough as is, I can handle myself, and you don't think I'm just gonna leave you hanging when I know you might be in danger, do you?"

Twilight wanted to tell her no, but the look in Gilda's eyes aswell as the feeling coming from her made Twilight realize that there was no stopping her, so instead she sighed. "Fine, it seems like I won't be able to stop you, no matter what I do or say."

Jackshade looked at Gilda and then at Twilight. "Your highness, if we're all going there anyway to meet your mother and see your old 'friends', then why not let her know you’re here first? It will likely be allot easier if you talk to her in private first, rather then try to do so in town, at least here you can stay in your Changeling form and talk about everything without any issues."

"Hey, yeah, that would make things allot easier, wouldn't it Twi?" Gilda then added as she looked at the food still laying on the floor and grumbled. "I should clean up a bit first if she's going to visit my place."

Twilight looked a bit uncertain about it all. "Are you sure about this? If things don't go so well, then she will still know of your place."

Gilda rolled her eyes. "Oh please, you worry too much about all this Twi, it'll be fine, and if it won't be, then I can always find some other place, it's not like Gryphons normally have allot to start with."

"… You know, you really need to tell me more about that at some point, you never did tell me about your home before you came here." Twilight said with a concerned look.

Gilda looked at her and sighed. "Yeah, yeah, but that'll have to wait till all this is over, I promise to tell you then, alright?"

"Yeah, alright, I understand, and I can wait till then." Twilight said as she then looked at Nightdash and Jackshade. "Mother might get worried if she saw you two here, I mean I originally thought it would calm her to see other Changelings here, but…"

Nightdash bowed slightly. "It's alright, we understand, we're still exiles, if she sees us with you while you have a starting hivemind, she might think you made the connection with us… It might indeed be best for us to head back, but if anything happens, just let Fate know, we'll come running straight away."

Twilight chuckled. "I know, though I'm certain nothing bad will happen now, seeing as I have Gilda here to protect me aswell." Twilight then started to focus as the two Changelings headed back, the tugging was still there, but it was lessening, she wondered if it had taken too much time and Chrysalis was giving up, but she couldn't let that deter her, so she started to tug back slightly, which instantly made the tug towards her allot stronger, as if the one on the other side suddenly got really exited.


*Ponyville, just before Twilight started to pull back*

Chrysalis was about to give up thinking that she shouldn't have believed what Luna told her, or at least not have hoped those words could have been real, but just as she was about to, she suddenly felt a tug back, it surprised her but her mood soared as she instantly increased the pull on her side. "It's her! My daughter is responding!" Tears filled the eyes of the queen, because to her, this meant she would see her daughter again soon.

Fastfoot was the first to enter the room their queen was in. "Your highness! We felt the tug back, is it her? Should we prepare to head out?"

"Of course we're heading out!" Chrysalis replied instantly before she calmed herself. "No, wait, not all of us, it took so long for her to respond, she might be wary or frightened of all this right now… Let's keep it to a small group, just you and me."

Fastfoot thought for a moment. "Hmm, perhaps we should take either Cannula or Nebulizer with us aswell, just in case her slow reaction might be because of some kind of injury."

"… Y-you think she might be harmed? W-we need to go right away!" Chrysalis replied as she started to panic and almost ran outside in her normal form before being stopped by Fastfoot.

"Your highness! Calm down, it'll soon be dawn, so some ponies might wake up soon, and if any of them saw you in your normal form they might find out what's going on!" Fastfoot quickly said as he stood in her way.

Chrysalis just glared at him. "I don't care if they do, we did all this to get my daughter back anyway, now get out of my way!"

Just as she was about to charge her horn, Fastfoot quickly dropped to his knees. "Please your highness! Think about what it might do in the future! If we're not careful, the ponies might find out and decide to hunt us Changelings down for it, they might even try to harm the princess if they ever find her!" He gulped as he almost expected her to still blast him, but after a moment of silence, he looked up to see the expression of pure shock and horror on Chrysalis' face as she imagined it. "It'll also take a little while before one of the medics can join us your highness, so please conceal yourself before we head out."

Chrysalis just nodded before she snapped out of it and turned herself into a green pegasus with a black mane, green eyes and a cutiemark of some pod like eggs with green goo. "… Tell them to meet us at the edge of the forest…" She then said as she flew off.

Fastfoot did just so over the hivemind before following Chrysalis to the edge with his own disguise.

After a few minutes a female white unicorn shows up that has a pink mane and a cutiemark of two snakes coiling around a staff with bug like wings at the top, Cannula's favorite pony form. "Your highness, Captain Fastfoot, I came as soon as I could."

"Good of you to join us Cannula, does this mean that doctor Nebulizer won't be joining us?" Chrysalis asked in her pegasus form.

"I'm afraid he's still in surgery your highness, sergeant Cherrydrop is in a critical state right now, so he had to finish the operation first." Cannula replied with a slight bow.

Fastfoot was the one that winced the most. "I-I see… Will she make it?"

Cannula smiled. "There's none better then doctor Nebulizer, and he's had tougher operations, so she should be fine captain… Also, I took a closer look at the wounded ponies you captured, it's a good thing you know your fracture sir, since the wings of the blue one are broken in a clean and straight way, she'll have a full recovery once she emerges from the healing chrysalis… But the other one wasn't as lucky it seems, the cut over her eyes tore the fiber more then it cut through them, the doctor might be able to help but… She may not be able to ever see again." Her expression falters slightly at the end.

Fastfoot sighed, a little bit of relief but also out of concern, he had promised Fluttershy she would be able to see again afterall, and he was one to keep his promises.

Chrysalis growled slightly as she was getting impatient. "Enough, they'll all be fine with the doctor there, now let's go, my daughter might need me!"

Fastfoot and Cannula saluted as they agreed, before all of them went into the forest and undid their disguises.

=====+++=====

It took a while, but they finally made it to their destination as they got to the ruins of a castle.

Chrysalis looked at it before recognizing it. "The old castle huh? Who'd have guessed that it would be taken down by Luna rather then us after what happened..."

"Should I check around the area to make sure it's safe your highness?" Fastfoot asked while looking around.

"You can stay to the shadows if you like, but I'm not wasting any more time if there's a chance my daughter is in danger." Chrysalis instantly replied before walking towards the entrance, followed by Cannula.

Fastfoot simply replied with a 'very well.' and then took to the shadows, he wasn't a infiltrator like Cherrydrop and nowhere near as good at hiding in the shadows as her, but he had learned how to hide himself slightly from her.

Since they were this close now, it didn't take them long to find Twilight, who seemed to be absorbed into one of the books, which was the only reason she hadn't noticed them being this close already, and she still hadn't notice them in fact, but Chrysalis instantly noticed her, though she was surprised to see a full Changeling princess with a starting crown, rather then the hybrid she knew her daughter to be. "Twilight? Is that you?"

Twilight instantly snapped out of it and looked at Chrysalis, with an extremely nervous look. "H-hi… Uhm… M-mother?"

Chrysalis instantly lunged towards Twilight and hugged her as tightly as she could. "It is you! What happened to you? How come you’re a full Changeling now? Are you hurt or anything? Did those ponies do anything to you!?"

Twilight tried to push Chrysalis away slightly while gasping for air, but was failing miserably, her mother was allot stronger then her it seemed. "Can't… Breath…"

"You can't breath!?" Chrysalis looked at Cannula with a worried look, but wasn't letting go. "Don't just stand there, help her!"

Cannula sighed as she pointed towards Chrysalis. "Your highness, right now you’re the cause of her distress, you might want to let go of your vice like grip."

Chrysalis was a bit shocked and looked at how tightly she was hugging Twilight before instantly releasing her. "Gah! I-I'm sorry sweetie, your not hurt, are you?"

Twilight gasped for air a few times before she was able to breath normally again and rubbed her sides. "Ugh… I'm a bit sore, but I'll manage… I should have expected it though I suppose, mo… My adoptive mother acted similarly whenever she thought I had been in danger…"

"You still think of her? … No worries, we'll get that brainwashing of theirs out of your mind soon enough, and then you'll be able to come back to our hive to be who you were always meant to be." Chrysalis then said as she started to focus.

Twilight raised an eyebrow out of confusion. "Brainwashing? Going back to your hive? But I haven't been brainwashed and I have my own h…" A sudden sharp pain in her head interrupts her as she shouts out in pain.

"Don't worry, it'll only take a moment and then the pain will subside, I'll remove all those pesky false memories they implanted in you soon enough." Chrysalis replied as she started to put her magic through the hivemind that Twilight was just added to by force.

"N-no! Please! Don't! T-their not false… I… I… D-don't take my friends f-from me…" Twilight shouted as she tried to focus and started to think about them. "Come on Twilight, don't forget your friends and family, remember them! Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Spike, Luna, Mom, Dad, Gilda… Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Spike, Luna, Mom, Dad, Gilda… Wait, that's not right, Rarity, Rainbow dash, Spike, Luna, Mom, Gilda… W-were there always so few? Fluttershy, Spike, Luna, Gilda… Spike, Gilda…" She wasn't sure why, but she felt like she was losing something important to her. "P-please, don't take my only friend from me, Gilda is all I have! No pony ever wanted to make friends with me!"

"Gilda? I don't remember any pony named Gilda when we went to Ponyville." Chrysalis said as she continued to remove the memories, not realizing just exactly how big of a mistake she was making.

As if on queue however, Gilda suddenly burst through the doors on the other side. "Twilight!? I heard you yell, is everyth…" She then saw Chrysalis and Cannula and was about to ask what was going on, but then she saw Twilight writhing in pain on the floor as she held her head, instantly turning her gaze into one of pure anger. "What are you doing to my friend!?" She then yelled while lunging forwards, placing herself between Twilight and Chrysalis.

Chrysalis was taken back for a moment and broke the connection, having removed nearly all memories in Twilight's mind, all except for the memories she shared with Gilda and her own name, which would have been next had she not been shocked by the actual feelings radiating off of Gilda and broke the connection, since the feelings were these of true loyalty and friendship aimed at twilight while there was true anger aimed at Chrysalis.

It didn't last long however, as Gilda was about to lunge at Chrysalis but got hit from the shadows herself by a paralyzing spell before she could, thanks to Fastfoot who then walked out of them. "I knew something was off about this, but to think that the ponies actually employed a Gryphon to do their dirty work, that was unexpected." He then said as he took his place next to Chrysalis.

Chrysalis looked a bit confused, before she looked at Fastfoot. "I don't think they did actually, can't you feel it? Her feelings towards my daughter are real."

Fastfoot shook his head. "Those ponies can likely pretend well enough to have certain feelings to fool us your highness, they've been doing so for years with our princess afterall."

"Perhaps… But she's not a pony, and for a Gryphon to have any other kind of feeling then not caring or some kind of anger is unheard of… This may have been her only real ally she made." Chrysalis replied as she started thinking.

Twilight however was laying on the floor as she was almost about to pass out from the pain, but with her last remaining strength she was reaching out for Gilda. "P-please… S-spare my only friend…" And then she passed out.

Chrysalis watched as it happened and then looked towards Fastfoot. "Undo the paralysis partially, just the part on her head will do."

Fastfoot was about to say it would be unwise, but the glare he was getting from Chrysalis for even thinking it made him instantly retract that thought. "Y-yes, of course your highness!" He then did what she asked.

Which he instantly regretted as Gilda started shouting. "LET ME GO! WHEN I'M THROUGH WITH YOU ALL, YOU'LL…" She was also instantly shut up by some magic holding her beak shut as Chrysalis looked at her.

"Hmm, curious, you truly care for my daughter, don't you?" Chrysalis then asked. "I'll let you speak as long as you promise not to shout again, I'd rather not wake my daughter right now, seeing as the pain would likely still be there if she did, do you understand?"

Gilda was furious, she wanted to yell, to tell her off and everything, but she didn't want to let Twilight go through that pain again either, plus she now wanted to know some things aswell, so she nodded reluctantly, which made Chrysalis undo the hold over her beak. "… So you’re her real mom? Why are you hurting her? Was she right to worry about you not caring for her afterall then? What did you do to her anyway!?" Her voice raised slightly at the end, but she kept her own beak shut quickly after she noticed and glanced towards Twilight with worry, luckily it seems it hadn't woke her up, making her sigh of relief.

Chrysalis was slightly shocked when she heard all this. "Not care for her? Is that what those ponies made her think about me? About us? No, I care deeply for her, more then anything else in fact. I was removing all those false memories they implanted into her, they never cared for her, she was only ever a tool to them in case we ever came back, they even made us think she was dead for so long already."

"That's not what was going on at all!" Gilda said, catching herself once more with a raised voice and quickly glancing at Twilight, before she continued. "Princess Luna was trying to protect her, she was afraid you'd open the chrysalis Twilight was in if you found her like that, but that would kill her in turn, after that it was all just one big misunderstanding on princess Celestia's side, and once Twilight came out of it she was adopted by her adoptive parents without them even knowing, even the friends she made never knew, and I know they would never pretend to be friends with her, since one of them is my friend aswell."

Chrysalis seemed unimpressed. "I see, and tell me, where exactly did you get this information from? If you don't mind me asking."

Gilda puffed as she still glared towards Chrysalis. "From Twilight herself, she told me everything that had happened."

Chrysalis nodded, but still didn't seemed deterred or surprised. "And from who might I ask, did she get this information from."

Gilda raised an eyebrow in suspicion by now. "She got it directly from princess Luna herself, but I don't see how this m…"

Chrysalis interrupted her. "Exactly, she was told this is what happened by the very one that stole her from us, you can see how you can't really trust this information, now can't you?"

Gilda was about to reply, but Chrysalis held her beak shut once more, before she continued. "But it seems they got to you aswell, even if you didn't realize it… The one that made friends with you likely only did so to fool my daughter even more… I must admit that princess Luna almost made me believe her aswell." She then sighed. "They'll stop at nothing to have things go their way it seems… But not to worry, I won't remove the memories she has of you, and you can even keep on being friends, I wouldn't take away the only real friend she has afterall."

Gilda gulped, as she didn't like the way Chrysalis was looking at her. "She's lost it, she isn't even considering any of this to be truthful, I… I have to save Twilight somehow… But what can I even do as I am right now?" Gilda thought to herself.

"Hmm, I'm afraid it'll hurt a bit more without a connection between us like a hivemind, but don't worry, you'll feel better after I'm done." Chrysalis then said as she smiled and charged up her magic.

Gilda could only look with fear in her eyes before she was blasted by the magic, the pain soaring through her mind as memories of Dash and the others were taken away from her, leaving only the memories of Twilight, as an added effect the magic also filled in any odd gaps created by the lack of information, such as her reason for coming to Ponyville in the first place, which rather then coming for Dash turned into coming there for an errand, all that remained was how badly the ponies reacted to her, even earlier memories of flight school were replaced by her always having been alone and the ponies all shying away or making fun of her, Twilight was the first and only one to treat her as a friend, perhaps because they didn't seem to care for her aswell, birds of a feather flock together afterall.

After she was done, Chrysalis decided to add one memory to both of them before she looked at Fastfoot and Cannula with a smile. "Take my daughter and her friend to the hive, we're going home."

The two Changelings bowed and did as they were ordered, while Chrysalis let the rest of the hive know they had finished and the next phase was to take place, act like nothing was wrong and everyling retreat to the hive once Discord was fully free.

Some way away, at Twilight's hive however, one more cried out in pain and fainted when Twilight did, causing them all to panic and discus what they should do.