• Published 6th Oct 2017
  • 5,310 Views, 139 Comments

Changing Fates - Ulthor



It should have been so simple, just make some friends, find the elements and beat the villain that tries to make the night last forever… Well, perhaps not simple per say, but expected, but that's not always how it goes.

  • ...
20
 139
 5,310

Prologue (Spoilers in case you'd rather want to find out during the story.)

Author's Note:

This isn't needed to be read to read the actual story, as the important points will be told during the story, but it might make one or two things a bit clearer from the start and it might be more fun as it shows what actually happened rather then just explain it. Also while this story has ponies from the actual show, I decided to alter some things since it's still a AU and doesn't need to follow the exact history, though certain events in future chapters will be mostly the same, even if I'll switch some things around.

Also, Harmonia Annis translates to Age of Harmony and it signifies when Discord was first defeated for those that are interested.

{Prologue}


*974 HA (Harmonia Annis)Twenty five years before the Nightmare Moon incident*


There used to be a time where Chrysalis was caring and forgiving, a time where she and her hive went to other races to carefully and gently drain them of there love without taking it all, they didn't want to harm those peace loving creatures, even if the were their only real source of a necessary energy that they themselves needed to survive.

You see Chrysalis loved other races a lot, especially those called ponies, and one day she was walking amidst them in her disguise, having a black coat, a green mane and tail aswell as green eyes, she decided to use a rune as a cutiemark however, mostly because she liked the type of magic that came with it, better then her own kind's magic at least.

She noticed that a certain pony suddenly started to follow her after some time though and tried to shake him off, which should have been easy since the pony chasing her had been easy to detect with all those bells on his ridiculous attire, but eventually she found herself trapped in an alleyway, as she than turned around and asked him what he wanted, he said he wouldn't allow some shapeshifting demon drain his kind from whatever it was she was taking.

Apparently he had somehow seen her drain some love from another and didn't know what it was or how much she truly took, though it was odd that he knew about her being able to change in the first place, as she made sure to never change in town, she thought that none of these ponies even dared to enter the everfree forest that had such violent creatures in it.

Chrysalis then found herself looking at the other end of a magical blade, as he ordered her to lift her disguise so he could slay her as a demon, likely out of some odd feeling of honor, Chrysalis at the time didn't want strife to happen between their races and decided it was best for her kind if only she were to die and she wouldn't fight back, so she did what he asked and lifted her disguise.

What he then said however, was unexpected. "Your... Your beautiful." This started a rather awkward moment, where neither side knew how to continue this, as she herself was still looking at the magical blade that was being pointed at her by the very one that just called her beautiful, and then there was the one doing the pointing, who wasn't sure if he should even strike down such a lovely creature.

Several minutes passed and Chrysalis decided to be the first one to say something in this awkward situation. "So... Uhm... A-are you going to strike me down already?" She said in an obviously scared way, but at the same time courageous act for her kind, somehow not realizing that she could have just aswell have escaped this place by now, if she just took advantage of the situation.

The male pony then looked at her with a slight bit of shock in his eyes, before remembering what exactly he was doing here, but rather then just go for the blow, instead he asked her a question. "What did you take from them? What harm did you do to them?

Chrysalis could only blink for a few moments, as she wondered what he might mean, then she realized. "A-are you talking about the love energy I took? I didn't harm them at all, I swear, I only took a little to survive."

A few more awkward minutes of silence passed, this time it was the male pony to act first and break it, as he ceased his spell and the magical sword vanished. "O-oh, I see, sorry for just assuming you were doing them harm..."

Chrysalis blinked a few more times, not really getting what had just happened, or why he lowered his weapon as easily as that. "You... Believe me?"

The pony looked into her eyes. "I doubt a beautiful being such as yourself would lie."

Chrysalis instantly blushed a dark green blush as she looked back into his eyes while he said this, this was also the first time another race called a changeling beautiful, especially her. "I... You... You really think I'm beautiful?" He then nodded gently. "I-I see... Uhm... W-would you like to get a drink or something?"

And that was the start of a somewhat clumsy relationship between herself and this pony that was called Starswirl the bearded, which was an odd name his parents gave him, seeing as he never sported a beard at all, of course she kept up her disguise most of the time, only dropping it when they were alone together or when she was back at her hive.

He did visited the hive a few times aswell, the first time was a bit eventful though, as he had found her hive on his own while Chrysalis was elsewhere at the time, luckily all her changelings were peaceful at the time aswell and simply restricted him till she came back, it did help that her hive as also open to the idea of interspecies relationships when she came back, not that they would have gone against her wishes mind you.

But that was about six years ago now, and right now she was wondering how to bring the news to her by now husband about her current state, they had gotten married not too long ago in a pony fashion just a few months ago, as she now held her hoof up to her stomach. "I hope your father will be as eager to see you as I am little one."


*980 HA, a few months after Chrysalis had found out she was pregnant*


The news had hit Starswirl like a moving chariot the first time he heard about it, mostly because of the time Chrysalis for some reason decided to tell him, she had tried to tell him many times before now, but each time she tried, something had prevented her from doing so, sometimes it was one of Starswirl's students that made a mistake with their spells or potions and caused some kind of mayhem.

At other times he was suddenly summoned by one of the princesses, and then there was that time he accidentally managed to travel 980 years back in time where a certain Draconiquus caused chaos to the lands, after helping a much younger Luna and Celestia defeat him, he was brought back to his current time, but it seemed that the same amount of time had passed as he had spend in the past, finally though she could no longer hold it in, and just barged into the room he was in and shouted it for all there to hear, the thing is, this room he was in was in the equestrian castle, in fact it was the throne room, and before him sat princess Luna, who was sporting a similar stunned look as Starswirl had.

"What wonderful news this is! Though we wonder if thou could have waited till after we were done Celtic." Princess Luna said as she gave a playful grin.

Chrysalis who was going by the name Celtic Rune in her current disguise, suddenly blushed so much that her black coat nearly turned red as she realized just where she had barged in and shouted that she was pregnant of his child. "I-I-I-I'm sorry your highness!"

She then quickly bowed her head to the lunar princess, as at this time she was pretending to just be a normal magic researcher, specializing in runes and didn't see herself as above the princesses of this country. "I-it's just that I've been trying to tell him for months by now and..."

"Oh come now, we told thee before, thou need not be so formal with us, we are friends afterall... But months? Oh my, tis a wonder it has not shown on thou yet then" Luna checked her out a bit as she said so.

Chrysalis held her stomach a bit as she looked at the princess "I've been keeping a perception rune over it till I would be able to tell him." She then made it seem as if she undid some kind of rune on her body, as a small bump started to appear, of course in reality this was just the changeling queen undoing a bit of her natural disguise, but only the size there, not her actual disguise, though this gesture was more for the guards in the room then anypony else.

Starswirl was still as stunned as he was before, that is until the lunar princess gave him a nudge in the back. "Thou should likely say something now."

He looked at the lunar princess and then back at Celtic. "I-it's really mine?"

Chrysalis gave him a playful look. "Well, it's not like I've done it with anypony else, so I sure hope so." She and Luna both let out a little chuckle from that.

Starswirl was still sporting a slight stunned look, before his face suddenly lit up completely. "I'm going to be a father?"

"That's usually what it means when your wife is pregnant dear." Chrysalis said with the same playful look as before.

"I'm going to be a father... I'm going to be a father! I'M GOING TO BE A FATHER!" He started shouting as he jumped into the air as if he were a certain exited pink pony from the future, before realizing where he was himself and quickly turning to Luna and bowing. "I-I'm sorry your highness, I got a bit carried away there.

Luna let out a little chuckle. "Tis fine my friend, tis a grand time and worthy of thine happiness, we can finish up what we were discussing at a later date. Go, spend time with thine wife and celebrate." She said with a genuine smile.

Afterall, even though these last few years ponies had started to spend less time in her glorious night, Starswirl and Celtic were among the few that genuinely loved her night, and she had grown close to them aswell, to the point she would call them close friends.

In fact, they were so close that Chrysalis had revealed her secret to Luna one night, she was a bit shocked at first, but with Starswirl's help, everything was smoothed out relatively quick, and she had accepted Chrysalis for what she was and helped them to prevent detection whenever she was in the castle, afterall, Celestia was a bit old fashioned and there was no telling what she'd do if she found out.

Chrysalis smiled at Luna and asked her if she wanted to join them, at first the lunar princess had refused, but when Starswirl started asking aswell, they managed to convince her to join them eventually, and the three of them spend the night away celebrating, much to Celestia's dismay when she woke in the morning and found out Luna had left all her royal duties to Celestia that day.


*981 HA, eighteen years before the Nightmare Moon incident*


Starswirl who by now was sporting a goatee, which his wife thought looked ridiculous on him but never told him as he seemed to like it, had been working on a new magic he was trying to create, as all of a sudden a pony he hadn't seen before came barging into his laboratory and started shouting. "Sir! Come quickly! It's time!"

Starswirl just looked oddly and a bit confused at the pony, but he maintained a dignified stance before he asked. "Who are you? What are you talking about? I'm doing important work here, if you need me for something come back at a later date."

The pony seemed to be a bit in a rush and panic as he looked around him to see if no one else was there, once he made sure of it green flames went past his body as his disguise faded and a changeling now stood before him. "It's time!"

At this point Starswirl realized what he had been telling him and instantly dropped his quill and paper with the unfinished spell on it and ran outside, the changeling quickly put his disguise back on and followed him as they ran to a room with some special changeling runes in it that acted as a teleportation spell to the protected hive, it was the only way to quickly go that long a distance into a area that was protected from all but changeling magic.

Once there he was quickly brought to the delivery room, in front of the doors leading to said room, Luna was waiting on him. "What took thou so long!? She hath been in labor for the past half an hour now!" She shouted at him, she almost seemed as nervous about the whole ordeal as he was, likely because they had asked her to be the godmother of their child a few months ago and she had accepted, they then both went inside to be there for Chrysalis.

Some time passed before she finally birthed a girl, the little nymph seemed to have parts of both races, her left front hoof was that of a pony with a lavender coat, her mane was dark indigo and like that of a pony with the addition of two streaks in it of pink and purple, her tail was the same tail, her eyes were like a deep purple with draconic slits though they were still closed at this point and she had two pegasus like wings, but the rest was just like the body of a changeling, though the hue of her carapace seemed more lavender at some points then black.

But there were some complications, and the child was stillborn, it seems that pony and changeling physiology while similar, was still to far away genetically, the doctor also informed them that this would likely never be solved and they shouldn't try again or Chrysalis' body might not last as this kind of childbirth is not normal for changelings.

Luna spend most of the night trying to console Chrysalis, who was heartbroken over the loss of her child and the knowledge that she and the pony she loved would never have a child of their own.

As for Starswirl, he had fallen to his knees with the news at first and then just up and left, saying he needed some time to think, much to Luna's dismay who said now was the time to stay with them, but he refused to listen and instead went back to his lab.

Once there, he tried to look around and find some kind of solution, when he couldn't do that he let out all of his frustration as he destroyed his equipment and several of the books he had written, shouting in pain, not physically but mentally, it was somehow even louder then the royal voice the princesses used for large crowds, it was at this time that a dusty and ancient book fell from the top of his shelves.

He would have likely have missed it, had it not been for it landing right on top of him, he looked at it furiously as it dared to hit him while he was grieving and was about ready to burn the book and everything in here to the ground...

But then he saw it, the book had fallen open to an ancient and forbidden ritual, but it had been just what he wanted, this spell, this ritual, it gave his desperate mind the hope he had wanted, and even though it warned the user of the sacrifice it entailed, he would not let that stop him from using it.

About an hour later, Luna suddenly heard some ruckus outside of the room she had been holding her dear friend close to her to comfort her, the same one that had fallen asleep while crying, she decided to go check out what it was before Chrysalis would wake up from it, as she exited the room she could see several changelings knocked out on the floors. "What happened here? Is somepony trying to use this time to take over!? We have to stop them!"

She then ran around checking the rooms to find out what happened, before she got to the room where they had put the dead little nymph, only to find it had now been torn apart, ancient runes drawn all over the room and in the middle of it in a big magic circle lied the dead body of the little Nymph, but more surprisingly, across from her on the other side of the room stood a slightly battered Starswirl.

Luna didn't understand what was going on just yet. "Starswirl? W-what's going on? Did the intruder do this to thee? What were they trying to do?"

Starswirl just looked at her with a bit of a dead look in his eyes. "They didn't want me to see my dead child when I told them what I wanted to do, they wanted to prevent me from saving her, so I simply took them out."

Luna looked at him in a puzzled way. "Save her? Starswirl, she's dead, you can't sa..." It was then that she realized what some of the runes meant and what he was trying to do. "! NO! Don't do this! This is a forbidden magic! It takes thine own life and the life of others nearby! Dost though intend to kill thyself and all of us for this? What of thine wife!?"

Starswirl looked at her with an almost crazed puzzled look. "Why would I take the life of my wife? I altered the spell to only take my life and a few drones as it's initial cost, it'll then simply preserve her with a little flame of life as the next step initiates and those whose life are nearly over, over the next thousand years or so will simply die a month earlier and add to her life force, it'll take a bit longer this way, but our little star will live, I won't be able to witness her grow up… But she'll live and I'll always be with her." After he said this he looks at Luna. "Keep our little Twilight Starshine safe for us."

And then the spell initiated, draining the life of himself and those he had secretly placed a rune on including those he knocked out to form a sort of chrysalis around the little nymph, before he then dropped to the ground, his life completely gone as he traded his life and that of a few changelings in the hive for that of his daughter, Luna cried out as one of her beloved friends had now died...

This was heard by other changelings however as they ran towards her and saw a dead Starswirl and Luna holding the chrysalis in which they could see the nymph of their queen, who by some kind of magic seemed to now move around inside of it, however, this was taken out of context by most of them, especially since there were dead changelings laying outside.

They just assumed that the princess had simply put some kind of perception spell on the nymph to make it appear as dead and when Starswirl had found out as they thought, she had simply killed him along with some changelings that likely came to his aid, she of course tried to explain, but it fell onto deaf ears, and she knew she had to escape, she also knew that if they would try to open the chrysalis to 'save' the little nymph, they would just kill her again and undo all what Starswirl had done, so she took the chrysalis along with her.

Once Chrysalis awoke the next day and her changelings told her what they though had happened, her heart grew cold as she thought that her best friend had just played her all along to get her hooves on her child and killed her husband in cold blood, it was then that she decided that such wretched creatures didn't deserve to be treated nicely at all, and once she had gotten back a bit of her energy and could walk again, she decided to go get her child back, no matter how much her changelings tried to tell her to at least rest up till she had her full strength again.

As they kept trying to tell her to at least get some rest she just met them with a sneer and soon her army was assembled as they marched over to the castle of the two sisters in order to get her daughter back, this was to be known as the last major war before the Nightmare Moon incident.

This war could have likely been prevented, but Celestia didn't even try to listen to the queen of the marching army of 'evil monsters' as she had called them, had she done so she might have found out that they weren't evil at all and this was simply caused by a simple mistake, it might have been avoided completely, or it might not have, it's impossible to tell as in this case she had taken the first move and attacked with her own army.

Many lives were lost in this war, worse of them being Starswirl the bearded and Celtic Rune as they had both vanished, they had been expected to have been killed in secrecy before the war, at least that's what Celestia thought.

In the end the ponies had won and the changelings were forced to retreat, mostly because Celestia was at full power and Chrysalis was not, meaning she had been able to just blast giant spells at the changelings and Chrysalis didn't even have the power to put up a decent defensive shield, Celestia was furious at her sister once the war had ended though as she had opted to not participate at all.


*999 AH, the fated day of the Nightmare Moon incident*


Ever since the last major war, Luna had been acting oddly, and whenever she was asked what was wrong she simply said it was because the ponies liked Celestia's daytime more then her night, but Celestia had a feeling it was more then that, she just couldn't place what it was or why it would make her act as she did, so Celestia decided to find out with all her might, as she ordered some of her most trusted to spy on Luna and figure out what made her act as such.

Today Celestia had decided she would find out what that was, especially as one of her spies started to walkup to her with the information she had desired.

A pastel colored unicorn with a red mane stood before Celestia before bowing. "Your highness, we found out that princess Luna has a hidden room in the nearby cave system, but we haven't been able to get inside of it, the spells she put on it would instantly let her know somepony would try to enter it."

Celestia looked at her and seemed to be a bit conflicted at first, before she made up her mind. "Thank you Lifeline, I will continue this investigation myself, tell me where it is and then go back to the barracks for now, I will let you know if I have need of you again."

The pastel pony complied and told her what Celestia wanted to know, after which Celestia headed off for the cave and soon found the hidden room. "Why is it that you felt the need to hide this from me to this amount Lulu?" She thought as she forced her way inside and found something that made her gasp.

A moment later Luna teleported in with a certain despairity in her eyes as they darted around the room to find what she had left here. "W-where is it!?"

She then heard a familiar voice behind her. "Looking for something sister?" With a slight tone of distain in her voice, Celestia was standing there.

Luna looked at her with a certain fear in her eyes. "W-what did you do with it? Where is it?" She asked as her voice trembled.

Celestia could hardly believe her ears, it was as if she cared for that thing, as if it wasn't some kind of trophy egg but had some actual meaning, she then got a bit of a cold look in her eyes as she then calmly replied. "I took care of it."

At that point something suddenly snapped in Luna's mind, pure energy and a rage like none other she had ever felt started to overwhelm her, as it started to darken her coat. "You... You... YOU!" She suddenly shouted as her rage was clearly seen in her eyes, making Celestia flinch an back off a few steps.

Celestia quickly tried to calm her down, but her choice of words were quite poorly chosen. "N-now now Lulu, calm down, it was just a egg of one of those monsters, w-we can get another one if you want one so badly."

This was the final drop, Luna snapped completely as her main and tail burst out with an enormous power, turning ethereal, armor started to appear made of pure magical energy and solidifying, she grew to the same size of Celestia, or perhaps it was more accurate to say to Chrysalis' size as she then also grew the same fangs as the changeling queen and her eyes turned into the same kind of slit like eyes.

Luna who by now had grown to a formidable size and held a fearfully powerful magical aura around her then started to use her royal voice and shouted. "Don't you dare talk about my friends that way! You took away my last chance of penance with them! You took the last thing I cared for! You killed Twilight! My goddaughter! You are not my sister anymore! I reject thee! I will take thine dreams and turn them into nightmares! Call me Nightmare Moon from now on! I will take everything you love including your precious daytime from you, you monster!"

Celestia was stunned for a moment and was unable to realize what was happening before she was blasted through the wall of the cave, fear took her over as rather then try to say anything, try to stop her with words, she decided to teleport away, leaving Nightmare Moon to become even more enraged and start their own personal war that lasted several months.

After Celestia had been unable to calm Nightmare Moon and had been forced to imprison her into the moon by using a combination of all her own power and the power she drew from the elements of harmony then fell to the ground, she sobbed as she realized just what she had done and that she could have easily have stopped her, had she just told her that she simply took the egg and placed it in a hidden room of her own, rather then pretend to have destroyed it.

Meanwhile, in Chrysalis' hive, she was told about the whole Nightmare Moon incident and one final time she would feel sorrow, as with this, any chance of getting her child back and perhaps a slight hope of it all having been a mistake and Luna not being some evil being to take her child was shattered, as she now knew for certain that these ponies were wretched beings, with the only exception being her now deceased husband, and her heart grew colder still.


*1983 AH, sixteen years before Nightmare Moon breaks free, A.K.A. a thousand years after Starswirl did his final spell*


Celestia suddenly woke up to a magical alarm she had made ages ago, it took her a moment to remember what it was for, as she then instantly teleported into the sun filled room which just so happened to also have been a hidden room, as she looked around the room with a certain desperate look her sister had had all those ages ago as she looked for a certain 'egg'.

However, unlike her sister who had simply not found it at all and assumed the worse, Celestia found the shattered remains of said 'egg' and goop all over the pedestal it had rested on. "N-no... Now I really can't make up with her anymore..."

She was about to fall into despair herself and possibly create some kind of calamity, if a certain goo sound above her didn't suddenly make her look up, as she was then greeted by a wad of goop right onto her face, she spurted and rubbed the goop out of her eyes as she tried to look once more, she then found a tiny little nymph using her tiny wings and magic to fly and play with the goop she had been inside all this time…

And for the first time in a long, long time, Celestia felt a spark of hope inside herself.

Over the next few weeks, her chancellors had started to worry about her, she hardly ever held an actual court anymore and suddenly just up and left at odd times, even during important meetings, she also seemed to stay up later then she used to and was often too tired to do anything but sleep or eat, at least she hadn't neglected her solar and lunar duties, but it still worried them.

What was she doing all this time that took so much energy out of her, several rumors started to spread, how she was meeting some gentlecolt that somehow seduced her where other had failed, or that she was slowly losing her mind and went to some distant land to let loose and perhaps a war would start soon, or how she had secretly been plotting to get rid of those that opposed her...

That last one feeling more like a stretch then the others, as there were hardly any that would go against her, seeing as she tried to please them all, there were of course some other rumors, but none of those sounded like they might be true to any of them, as if she could have hidden a child of her own in the first place, that would have caused all the media to go after the story, no, they were sure it was something else.

These rumors however had also reached the ears of Celestia, who at this point in time had started to worry, since if ponies would keep on being worried about her, they may try to figure out what's going on, just as she had done all those ages ago, she knew she had to keep this under control, but how?

"Perhaps if I would show up for court more often and not seem as tired anymore… But how? I can't just leave Twilight alone, she's just a baby at this time, she needs somepony to look after her constantly, not to mention that she's a changeling with a faulty transformation and will need a constant supply of love" Celestia thought to herself, her newfound knowledge of changelings being there because of her newfound need to protect the little nymph in front of her, the name she had never forgotten since the moment Luna had shouted it at her so long ago.

She had raided all the ancient books on the subject from some of the forbidden libraries hidden deep below Canterlot, which she herself had put in the plans for the construction when it was first made in order to store whatever ancient books she managed to save from the old castle, most of which she never read herself, perhaps however she felt the need to keep them as her sister always loved these books.

Twilight at this point thought it would be fun to apparently drool all over one of the books that had by now been stored in the same room she was hidden away at.

"Ah! No, no, no little one, books are for reading, not to use as a napkin." Celestia said as she gently took the book and Twilight in her magical aura and separated them, before cleaning the book, Twilight just looked at her with big bug like eyes and let out a simple goo in a questionable way. "Hmm? What's that? Are you interested in what reading is little one?" Twilight let out a little laughter as if to say yes.

Celestia let out a gentle smile in response. "Hmm, well, your still a bit too young to read yourself, so how about I read you a story instead then?" Twilight seemed to be happy, and Celestia smiled a bit more.

While it was hard to take care of a child that to be honest had about as much power as a fully grown alicorn, the solar princess did like taking care of her for some reason, so she took a book that looked to be a bit more suitable for a child and started to read it to little Twilight.

A few days had passed, and Celestia started to realize more and more that she would be unable to keep her hidden for much longer, but she feared how her subjects would react if they were to find out about the little nymph, she had spent the last few days to find a solution to the problem, and she had finally found something.

Somehow one of the books in there seemed to have more changeling knowledge then any other, it was written in a familiar hoofwriting, namely that of her sister's, likely to ensure she would have been able to take care of little Twilight when the time came, not knowing what would occur before then.

The thought of this made Celestia sigh with a bit of sadness as she recalled her own foolishness at the time, but she had managed to read it to the end, and it seemed that a changelings natural camouflage could be triggered through outside means, and if they were kept well fed the disguise might not ever vanish if the changeling itself didn't even know about it in the first place, this could surely be better then have the little changeling be in a partial transformation as she had told herself.

This however caused a second problem to arise in Celestia's mind, what if ponies started to ask her where she came from? If she would make the little nymph appear as an alicorn and say she's her own, then they would surely keep asking who the father is and why she didn't tell anypony and so forth, the flood of reporters trying to get a scoop on this might just make things more troublesome, not to mention that there could always be the chance that somepony would try to foalnap her or harm her in some way because of Celestia herself, who knows if the disguise would still work in those cases.

It pained her, but she saw only one real way to do this, she would have to seal away the nymph's powers and disguise her as an ordinary unicorn, mostly because she felt that an alicorn showing up would cause issues on it's own and who knew if the little nymph needed to use her magic at some point, which would be hard to explain as a pegasus, it was easy to pick the color of the coat though as the little nymph had done so herself with her front left leg it seemed.

She would then have to make sure a loving family would take her in as their own, likely without ever knowing what she really was, but she also couldn't just go to them herself and tell them to take care of the little one, as they might not truly love her but do it just for the solar princess herself and that would likely starve the little nymph.

No, she needed to make sure the love she would get would be true and after some thinking, she knew just what to do, she first went through the family ledgers and checked out which families truly loved their children, she also wanted to make sure she would never want for anything, so perhaps a wealthy family would do, or perhaps some nobility.

In the end she went with minor nobility that wasn't extremely rich, but still rich enough to be able to give her whatever she wanted and after quite some research over the next few days, she had finally found three families that were good options, in truth all this research had made her even more tired and caused even more rumors to appear, but that didn't matter now, she would finally be able to get her into a decent family.

She went to the house of the first family, a family of magicians, Celestia was sure that this would be a great house for her to grow up in, seeing as she still seemed to have so much magic power even after having so much of it sealed away, however, as she approached the house in her cloak under the dead of night, she saw some beggars in front of the house, asking but a few scraps of food so they could survive the night.

Only for the door to be slammed closed in front of their faces after they were told to scram, at this point Celestia was certain that she almost made a terrible mistake, while it was true that this family took care of their own and produced great magicians, they didn't seem to care much for those below their status.

If they were to take in little Twilight, she would surely grow up to be like them, and that was a big if, since this seemed like they wouldn't even take care of a child that wasn't of their blood, Celestia sighed and was about to leave, but stopped for a moment and walked up to the beggars who were now huddle together on the sidewalk.

"I'm sorry for the actions of these ponies." Is all she said before dropping a little pouch in front of them before heading for the next family, the pouch having been filled with a few gold bits, likely more then they'd ever need if they would spend it wisely.

A while later, they reached the next house. "Hmm, this should be it, those that live here are called…"

She looked at a list. "Oh, would you look at that, the mother has the same name as you little one, one Twilight Velvet… Oh, but it seems she and her husband Night Light already have a child of their own already, a colt named Shining Armor, I must have missed that… Perhaps we should try the last family instead then."

But as she was about to leave, she could hear the little colt whine to his parents quite loudly, perhaps because the window to their bedroom was open.

"But mo~m, I want a little sister! Why can't I have one?" The little colt whined, something foals often did if they wanted siblings, it made Celestia chuckle slightly, but this didn't exactly sway her, that is, until she heard his mother, sounding slightly annoyed.

"Well we can't very well get one if you keep disturbing your father and me each and every night we try to make one." At which the colt gasped and started to ask them some questions, likely making the mother kick herself in the flank for having said so.

Celestia however thought to herself that if they had really been trying to do so, yet been unable to do so thanks to a certain colt that kept interrupting them, then perhaps, just perhaps, this could be the chance she was looking for. "How would you like to have a big brother little one?" She asked at the little nymph now disguised as a little foal with a lavender coat, who simply cooed at the hooded princess.

"I think so too, a big brother to protect you as a loving family takes care of you is just what you deserve." Celestia smiled and walked up to the door, she then placed Twilight in a little crib she magically conjured up. "If only I could take of you myself little one, but you'll be much, much safer here."

She then gave a slight nuzzle to little Twilight and started to write a small note. "Please take good care of this foal, for I am unable to do so, please give her all the love you can spare and keep her safe, her name is Twilight" Celestia stopped there for a moment.

"Hmm, ponies generally have two names, I suppose it's different for changelings as you only have one huh little one? …At least I think so, Luna never said more then a single name… Hmm, should I perhaps make up a second name?" Celestia said as she looked at little Twilight, who then opened her eyes for a moment with the moon reflected in her eyes, almost sparkling.

This made Celestia remember that tiny spark of hope she had felt when she first saw little Twilight, and a smile appeared on her face. "I suppose you already picked a second name for yourself… Twilight Sparkle."

And with that the name on the note was finished, after that she then rang the bell and teleported to a place too far to notice her, but not far enough for her to not see what happened next, as the door opened and little Twilight was found, it was the mother that found her and looked around to see who left her, before she took her inside.

Celestia left with a smile on her face, and at the same time a slight feeling of regret in her heart, the next few days she made sure to keep a close eye on what happened in that family, but unlike when she was actually taking care of the little nymph, she was able to hold a court and do all her usual business again without seeming so tired.

Which made the rumors slowly start going away, though some who thought it was the mystery suitor simply thought they broke up or something, but none of that really mattered, as she only cared for what happened to little Twilight right then and there, and she had seen them sign the adoption papers and love her as if she was their own.

Finally she knew that little Twilight Sparkle was safe, and once her sister would come back, she would reconcile with her and let her know, then all would be right in the world once more.