• Published 6th Oct 2017
  • 5,311 Views, 139 Comments

Changing Fates - Ulthor



It should have been so simple, just make some friends, find the elements and beat the villain that tries to make the night last forever… Well, perhaps not simple per say, but expected, but that's not always how it goes.

  • ...
20
 139
 5,311

Hidden Truth

Chapter 01


*1998 AH, about a year before Nightmare Moon would break free*


Celestia was standing in a room she hadn't been in for years now, yet there wasn't a speck of dirt anywhere and it looked just as she had last seen it.

It was an room with eight walls in an octagon shape, with a rounded ceiling that had a gem in the middle of it which produced a constant warm solar light, the floor was just a simple straight floor, but it was enchanted to look like the night sky and had a flat gem in the middle which produced a gentle glow, almost motherly in fact.

Right in between the two gems was a floating crystal pedestal, on which some remains of what had once been a 'egg' laid, at least that's what Celestia believed, the ooze that had once been inside of it and splattered to the sides of the pedestal had by now long since dried up, but could still be seen slightly as the color was still lightly visible on the crystal pedestal itself.

Books were littered around some of the walls, most of them were books on the type of beings that was in this 'egg' once, there were also some other books in the mix, but most of them were just placed here by her by mistake, or had been some books about geometry from beyond their old borders, none of it was very detailed mind you, as they were ancient books and were just made by random beings she had met, sometimes they didn't even match up with one another.

She sighed gently as she touched one of the pieces of the 'egg' left behind, picking it up as she started to talk to nopony in particular, besides herself that is. "Who would have thought that I could have been so wrong back then, or that you'd grow up to be such a special little one, to the point that you'd break a part of the seal I myself had placed on you, and at such a young age too."

She put the 'shell' back onto it's pedestal looking slightly sad as she continued talking to herself. "I had hoped to spare you of all if this once, I found you a loving family since it would likely have been dangerous to stay with me, my only regret is that the few friends you had seemed to have decreased since I took you back in… And now it seems like you might be my only hope left for redemption."

The solar princess seemed to think for a moment as a small smile appeared on her face. "Perhaps it's not too late to make amends to you aswell, one of the villages near the old castle might have some ponies that could become friends with you." She then made a mental note to check out all the villages for certain individuals that could become friends with her.

She would have to look for ponies that could act just like the elements of harmony she her sister and Starswirl had once been able to use in order to stop the lord of chaos in the past, perhaps they would even work for them and she'd have a contingency plan in case Twilight wouldn't be able to stop her sister on her own.

Perhaps… Perhaps she wouldn't have to tell her that she's not an actual pony then either, Celestia grew a little nervous about her original plan where she would tell her what she really was and what she meant to her sister, Celestia had hoped she would understand and would forgive her for what she had done in the past, but now… A certain worry started to grow in her mind and soon she would decide that her so called contingency plan would be far better off as being the actual plan.

And with that she left the room, putting her plans in motion as she hoped it would actually work out in the end.


*1999 AH, Canterlot, two days before the return of Nightmare Moon*


Twilight was reading a book in the shade of a tree as she often did. "Once upon a time, in the magical land of Equestria, there were two regal sisters who~" It was a story in a book she had read often already, yet at the same time it felt different this time, somehow more important, perhaps because the princess had given her this very same book about a week ago and had told her to study it.

She continue reading, already a good way in. "Thus the two sisters maintained balance for their kingdom and their subjects, all the different types of ponies, but as time went on, the younger sister became resentful, the ponies relished and played in the day her elder sister brought forth, but shunned and slept through her beautiful night~" She didn't know why, but this had always felt a bit odd, where there really no ponies at the time that enjoyed the night as she herself often did?

She was slowly reaching the end as she read about the transformation to Nightmare Moon who had vowed to shroud the land in eternal night, and how the eldest had reluctantly harnessed the most powerful magic known to ponydom. "The elements of harmony." She mused to herself before reading how the lunar princess had then used them to defeat and banish her sister to the moon.

"Hmm, elements of harmony, I know I've heard of those before… But where?" She mused to herself, before heading off to find a book in her personal library at the castle that might contain more on the subject, a book called 'Predictions and Prophecies', once she found it though it referenced her to an old fairytale called 'Mare in the Moon'

"Legend has it that on the longest day of the thousandth year, the stars will aid in her escape, and she will bring about nighttime eternal" She let out a gasp and asked her trusty assistant Spike, a baby dragon if he knew what it meant, likely not really expecting him to know, which he didn't, but she then told him to take a note to send to princess Celestia once it was done.

Celestia, who was at the time in the same hidden room she had been in a year ago to reminisce and think of an alternative and 'better' way to return her sister to her, soon found a letter in front of her that appeared as if magic, the only one that she had granted such a power to being a single baby dragon that was always with her faithful student. "Ah, this must be what I've been waiting for."

She then opened the letter and read it, it was indeed the one she had been expecting, Twilight had found the prophesies that Nightmare Moon would soon escape from her prison and plunge the world in an eternal nighttime, now Celestia had made sure to change a few of the lines over the years, making it seem like eternal nighttime was her plan from the start and not just something that was a side note to what she actually wanted, she had hoped ponies would accept Luna more this way once she calmed down and took her rightful seat next to Celestia once more.

"Now then, let's see, where did I leave that reply I prepared?" Celestia asked herself as she looked around the hidden room. "Ah, there it is." She then quickly sent it back to her, wondering if she should have taken a little bit longer to prevent Twilight from finding out she had prepared the note months ago, but she trusted that her faithful student wouldn't think that.

She knew that once Twilight would make some friends, especially in the village she had found that just so happened had been several ponies that represented the elements so perfectly, that her sister would soon come to see the light, of course she hadn't left it all up to chance, she had mentioned to the mayor pony there that she liked the singing of birds in the morning, and would want the sky to be cleared as fast as possible when the time came, not to mention that the décor in other cities prior to this had been a bit lacking and no one ever seemed to have any good apple based treats.

She had also thought of mentioning something about a possible after party, but felt that might not bring the results she had hoped for, luckily this was the one thing she could leave up to chance as she had heard from one of her spies that a certain pink pony always held a party for a new pony in town the moment she had met them, the spy had also blushed at this as they said they were sorry for not being very good spies as she got dragged into a party almost instantly herself.

But none of that had mattered, she knew things would go in the direction she had planned now, it's why she changed the original plans for it being held in Manehattan to Ponyville, that and at least that was close to the everfree forest where the original elements resided at.


*Ponyville, the night of the return of Nightmare Moon*


Ponies were standing in the large decorated town hall as they looked at the inner balcony, expecting to see their solar princess Celestia as the curtains opened, only to be met with an empty space, but Twilight was looking at the moon, which was now void of the mare like shadow it had had all these years. "This, can't be good."

But just as they started to worry about what was going on, a night sky like mist started to float to the spot and then with a flap of her wings there she was, Nightmare Moon! "Oh, my beloved subjects, it's been so long since I've seen your precious little sun loving faces."

Rainbow Dash was the first to respond. "What did you do with our princess?" As she then tried to fly towards Nightmare Moon, likely to grapple her, but Applejack stopped her by grabbing her tail as she told her to slow down with her teeth tight on the tail*

Nightmare Moon chuckled. "Why? Am I not royal enough for you? Don't you know who I am?" She then asked, a disapproving look in her face, afterall, how could they not know of her? She was the one that brought them the night sky in the first place, she was the mare that used to safeguard their dreams.

Pinkie Pie replied by listing up several names as if it were a mere game, something Nightmare Moon didn't exactly like, that is till AJ who was standing next to the pink mare still with Dash's tail in her teeth, quickly pushed a cupcake into the pink mare's mouth to shut her up.

"Does my crown no longer count, now that I've been imprisoned for a thousand years?" Nightmare Moon then asked as she menacingly looked towards Fluttershy who just shied away a little, not daring to look her in the eyes. "Did you not recall the legend, did you not see the signs?" She asked with a slightly menacing smile as she looked at Rarity.

"I did!" Twilight then boldly remarked as she boldly stared towards her. "And I know who you are, you’re the mare in the moon, Nightmare Moon!" She stated, making all the ponies gasp.

"Well, well, well, somepony who remembers me. Then you also know why I'm here!" Nightmare Moon exclaimed, expecting her to know the truth, since it would be cruel to change history just because her sister had 'won', though it had seemed it was long forgotten by other ponies and likely only seen as some kind of legend, seeing how this one was the only one to realize, but she was sure she would know the truth, afterall, the name Nightmare Moon was only known to those who knew of her sister's deeds.

This made her look at Twilight a bit more intensely, who was trying to tell them her plans but seemed a bit too afraid to say it in the end and rightfully so, the things she would do to Celestia when she would find her sister were likely be too much to say in public Nightmare Moon thought to herself, then she noticed a certain familiarity in Twilight's eyes. "Hmm? Have we met before by any chance? … No, that can't be true, mortal ponies don't live that long." She then laughed a bit. "Remember this day little ponies, for it was your last, from this moment forth, the night, will last, forever!" And she started to cackle.

Several guard ponies had tried to tackle her on the command of the mayor mare, Nightmare Moon simply thought these fools weren't worth the effort and turned to mist, heading for where she knew the elements were resting, as she knew for certain that Celestia would come for them in a desperate attempt to overpower her once more, Dash had tried to catch her, but was only able to see the direction the mist went at as she realized she wouldn't be able to grab it.

She also saw Twilight quickly exit the town hall as if she knew something, and from how she acted before, she in all likelihood did know more about this and Dash decided to follow her along with Applejack, Fluttershy, Rarity and Pinkie Pie, once there they would be sure to find out more about this.

Meanwhile however, Nightmare Moon had found the elements and was looking around for her sister. "Oh come now, aren't we a bit too old to play hide and seek?" She looked around with her mist but found nothing.

"Hmm, perhaps she's still on her way, it's not like she can turn into mist like I can anyway and perhaps she simply hasn't heard yet, she wasn't at that village either, so it could also be that she's simply running late… Should I go after her instead? No, it could just be a trap to allow her to get the elements while I'm of guard." She thought to herself as she waited.

It wasn't soon that she remembered Twilight's eyes though. "I'm certain I've seen those eyes before, but where?" She asked out loud as she started to focus on them, and quickly realized. "Ah! Their the same as my old friend Starswirl's eyes… Could he have had a distant relative who passed on those genes? Or is it just a coincidence?"

"… Perhaps I should test and see just how much she's like him, she did seem to be a lot smarter then those fools anyway." She then said as she took a bit of her mist. "Go and see what she's up to." She said as the mist headed for the village and quickly found her in the library, while Nightmare Moon was looking through some more of her mist back at the castle, as a form of viewing portal.

"My, oh my, she is a clever one, she even knows of the elements of harmony and is planning to come here for them, that's quite the brave little mare." She mused to herself as she saw Twilight and the others leave. "Very well then, let's see how she'll act when she's faced with certain situations." She laughed as she then had the mist handle the dirty work.

She didn't expect her to do so well on those tests, though it had hardly been fair, the tests were meant to only be for her, not for her and five other mares who all tackled one of the tests, she also hadn't planned for the rockslide to end in that way, it wasn't a test afterall, just a means to get down to where the manticorn was at, originally she was about to grow some trees that would break their fall once they fell down… She also hadn't expected them to solve the tests in the way they had done them in either.

They were now in front of the castle on the other side of the bridge, which infuriated Nightmare Moon, since Celestia hadn't even shown a sign of showing up yet. "No! I can't allow her to come here while Celestia hasn't even showed up yet… I know, I'll just send some images of the ancient Shadowbolts, every pegasus wanted to be in their team in the past, that'll slow them down a bit." She then sent more of her mist to do just that.

The ruler of the night was however surprised when Dash had rejected the offer. "Does she not know just how special that offer was? And what are these Wonderbolts? Did Celestia taint their legacy aswell? I will add that to the list of her sins." She said to herself as she prepared for a showdown with the lavender unicorn and her friends, something she didn't really feel like doing, but it couldn't be helped.

Nightmare Moon had laughed when Twilight had tried to use the elements on her own and failed, but was surprised when her friends had shown up and they started to react to them, not that it mattered to her though, it had taken the combined might of the elements aswell as her sister's full power to even do anything to her, she had planned to laugh as this attack would soon fail and they would despair once they saw she was unharmed.

But then she felt it, in the midst of this magic, there was something familiar, something ancient, something… Not pony, she recognized this power, no… That could be, this was… Changeling energy, o be more precise it was just like the energy that Chrysalis had! She then remembered those eyes once more that the lavender pony had and remembered both of her old friends before she realized and whispered to herself. "Twilight?"

Twilight and her friends were surprised when the magic stopped, as for a mere moment they could see that Nightmare Moon was unharmed, before they could see tears forming in her eyes and she started to revert to her old self, still nearly as tall as Celestia and having a wavy mane and tail, but not completely black anymore, nor did she sport the fangs, armor or eyes she did before.

Luna took a step forwards, tears still coming down her cheeks. "I-is it really thou?" Twilight and the others looked a bit puzzled as she fixed her eyes towards Twilight, they soon thought she meant Celestia though as she had appeared in front of her and started a speech about how they should reconcile and stop this foolishness, but Luna didn't even notice it as she kept looking at Twilight.

Twilight and her friends along with Celestia had all been surprised when Celestia had offered her sister a hug to make up and Luna looked to run towards her, only to run past her and head straight for Twilight, before she then suddenly caught her into a tight hug with wings and all. "It's truly thou! Isn't it Twilight?" Tears of joy flowed down her cheeks as if someone left the tab open.

Twilight however could only blink for a few moments, before asking. "D-do you know of me?" This had elicited a gasp from Luna, before she suddenly looked at Celestia with a stare that looked like it could kill and Celestia moved back a bit, for a moment they had thought the elements hadn't worked afterall and would need to fight once more, but then all of a sudden.

Luna started shouting. "How daresth thou not tell mine goddaughter about me sister!"

This alone would have been enough to elicit a big 'what?' of Twilight and her friends, if it hadn't been for Celestia then instantly groveling before her and replying. "I'm sorry Luna! I didn't know how to tell her!"

This had just stunned the whole party in it's place, unable to even process the fact that Celestia acknowledged it as true.

During the trip back to Ponyville, there had been an awkward silence since neither Twilight, nor her friends or even Celestia knew what to say to one another.

They had expected the two sisters to have headed off to the castle first and perhaps meeting them up later in Ponyville, but Luna had insisted that she walk with Twilight and her friends, Celestia somehow decided to come along aswell, likely in an attempt to be with her sister after having been reunited.

Twilight and her friends didn't even know where to start to break this silence either, whether it was the question of how that would even be possible, or what exactly had just happened, Celestia however simply didn't know how to salvage the situation, seeing as it played out a lot differently then she had planned.

Luna however, was simply humming while she had opted to walk next to Twilight rather then her sister, who whenever she tried to get near them got the stink eye from Luna and backed off, Twilight and her friends simply didn't understand how the situation could even be as it currently was, weren't they supposed to have beaten Nightmare Moon and returned Celestia into her rightful place?

Even if she got her sister back, wouldn't it normally be that Luna would want to be next to her sister and she would have been forgiven? Why did this situation feel more like Celestia was trying to be forgiven and Luna not forgiving her just yet, it felt more like the roles of the big and little sister were turned around here.

Things didn't get that much better when they got back to Ponyville either, not because of the reactions of the ponies there towards Luna, or that the two princesses came with them out of the forest, no, it was when the time had come where Celestia had summoned her chariot to head back and got an earful in the middle of the village from Luna.

"What? Thou would ask her to leave her friends she has just made to come with thee for a report!? Are thou insane Celestia!? She will do no such thing! She will be allowed to stay here in this village so she can be near her friends!" The lunar princess was quite adamant about making sure Twilight would be allowed to stay with her friends straight away.

Celestia however had meant to send her straight back after a simple report, but here she was feeling pressured while ponies looked at her. "I-I didn't mean to say she couldn't stay here dearest sister of mine, I had planned to send her straight back, I just thought she would want to get her stuff from her room in the castle is all."

Luna huffed and walked next to Twilight. "Thou can just send whatever she want over here by carriage, this ist no time to be separated from thine friends Twilight, go and spend time with them." She then turned to look at Celestia. "And whilst we are on the subject, we will be moving here ourselves."

This had caused Celestia to show a momentary face of shock, as did several other ponies, while Twilight and her friends at this point didn't know how to react anymore, so they just let it happen. "W-what do you mean Luna? Aren't you coming back to the castle with me?" Was all Celestia was able to say before backing away a little from Luna's steely gaze.

"Why would we want to go there? Thou can handle the ponies that cometh to the castle, thou hast done so for all those years already, and we can move the night from anywhere, we will not shirk our duties to the night." Luna said as she headed towards Celestia. "But we have no reason to act like a ornament at thine side whilst thou rule the land, nor do we feel the need to take thine rule away after thou hast kept the kingdom afloat for this long, we wouldn't even know how to rule in this time right now, and it would likely take years before we are fully adapted."

Luna then started walking over to the mayor pony. "Plus we can learn all this better whilst in the midst of our subjects, so it would make more sense to move in here." As she gets to the mayor pony, she looks her straight in the eyes. "Excuse us, but does thou have a free house or some free ground where we could have one constructed? The price isn't an issue, thou can just send the bill to the castle."

It had taken Celestia some bargaining, but she managed to convince Luna to at least come back with her for a little bit, if only to explain some things she would likely want to know and to make sure there weren't any laws that would cause any issues with this decision, she nearly kicked herself in the head when there were no issues and she realized she could have passed a law to prevent this all those years ago.

Luna also hadn't taken the news very well when she heard that Celestia had kept Twilight's secret a secret even to Twilight herself, lecturing her on all sorts of things that could have gone wrong, Celestia eventually managed to convince her that at this point it would do more harm then good for her to know and Luna begrudgingly agreed in the end, but insisted that she would tell her everything she would want to know about the subject if she was to ever find out, which Celestia agreed to.

Then came the time when Luna went back to Ponyville and Celestia had to negotiate with the mayor mare for a empty house in the village, she was surprised to find the mayor was so open about the whole idea, and just how tough of a businessmare she was when it came to her village, it's like it didn't even phase her that she was a princess when it came to that, even if she was be courteous most of the time and full of respect if it didn't involve the village directly.


*Several weeks after princess Luna returned*


Twilight was eating some breakfast when she heard some knocking on the door. "Who could that be at this time of the day? I don't have anything planned for at least several hours. Spike, could you go and see who it is?"

Spike simply sighed as he got up. "You already know who it's going to be, there's only one pony that shows up whenever she wants." He then went to open the doors as a pink blur passed him and went into the kitchen. "I knew it, Pinkie always shows up at odd ti… Oh, hi princess, would you like to come in aswell?" He had almost closed the door after Pinkie burst in before he saw that Luna had been standing there aswell.

"We.." Luna coughs for a second as if to rectify a small mistake with her words. "I'm not disturbing you, am I? I was just making a stroll around town when w.. I saw Pinkie heading this way, we got to talk a bit and before I realized it we were already here… Also, I told you before, just call me Luna, I'm only royalty by a tittle that I myself don't even use anymore." She had been brushing up on her modern speak quite a bit after she realized it was the norm now.

When she had first moved in there was quite the commotion amongst ponies at first, it also didn't really help that she didn't know how to act properly in this time at first, but one of Pinkie's trademarked parties had quickly undone all that stress and had shown those in town she was just like them, just bigger and sporting all the best traits of the different kinds of ponies in one body, even those that were weary at first because of the whole Nightmare Moon thing soon learned that she was nothing like that normally.

Twilight and her friends had not yet questioned the whole godmother thing yet though, though most of them had either just forgotten about it by now or figured it was best not to press it, Twilight however simply was a bit too nervous to ask whenever she got the chance.

"Sure thing pr.. Oops, I mean Luna, come right in, we were in the middle of breakfast, I can make you some pancakes if you want, I think we still have some batter left… If Pinkie hasn't started using it yet that is." Spike made sure to move to the side so Luna could come inside a bit easier.

As she got in she sniffed the air. "It would seem she has decided to do just that from the smell of it, but I don't want to impose too much anyway, I had planned to visit that small restaurant down the street for some breakfast anyway." Her stomach then rumbles without her permission, making her slightly blush out of embarrassment for letting him hear.

"You mean Daisy's diner? She closed today and the rest of the week in fact, she had to go to her family in Cloudsdale, something about a family emergency. But no worries, I can whip up a new batch of pancakes if Pinkie's already taken the current batch." The little dragon said while closing the door.

"Oh that's not necessary, I'm fine with just a sandwich, you don't need to worry about me… Hmm, I do hope Daisy's family is alright though, I didn't hear anything about her having to leave when I went there yesterday." Luna said as Spike was walking towards the kitchen and she followed him.

"Nah, it's no trouble at all, I still have all the items required for them on the counter, it'll be easy to make a new batch. As for Daisy, she only got the message herself later that day and left nearly immediately, I only know of it because I saw her just before she left, she even gave me the keys and asked if I could put up a note and take care of the place till she returned, she must have really have been in a rush to ask me though, she likely didn't have the time to ask one of her friends." Spike said now entering the kitchen.

The kitchen in which Twilight was sitting at the dinning table there, slightly annoyed by Pinkie who had decided to make all those pancakes and eat them as she was talking about her day so far, which was impossible to understand with all those pancakes in her mouth, Twilight noticed Spike was talking to somepony as he got in though. "Hmm? Do we have another guest Spike?"

"Well duh!" Pinkie said with a pancake still in her mouth, which made some bits and pieces fly towards Twilight's face who quickly put up a small magic shield, having gotten used to it by now, Pinkie then quickly swallowed the rest of the pancake. "I just told you all about my super duper morning where I let Luna know all about my super duper day yesterday and how we ended up here while talking, of course she was invited inside, who wouldn't invite such a super duper fun pony inside?"

"Huh? Do you mean princess Luna is here?" Twilight asked only to then see her enter the room who then turned to her let out a small smile.

"I hope you don't mind me intruding, Spike said it was alright, but I understand if it's too early for visitors." Luna said as she feels a bit uncertain.

Twilight bows her head a bit. "Oh no, it's fine princess, Pinkie comes by nearly daily anyway, it's why Spike tends to make too much batter lately, but are you really fine with just something we can make?"

Luna sighed. "You know, I really hope you'll just call me Luna someday, everypony else got used to it by now.

"Hey! I'll have you know my pancakes are to die for." Spike retorted as he started to make some new batter.

"I'll say! These are the bestestest pancakes I've ever had, and I've had a lot of pancakes!" Pinkie said as she stuffed another pancake into her mouth, finishing the plate. "You have to give me the recipe some day Spike."

"Sorry, no can do Pinkie, it's an old family recipe, Twilight's mom would never forgive me if I told you… Well, perhaps not, but I still can't betray her trust." The little dragon said as he started to look at the fruit options. "Hmm… Do you like a specific kind of fruit by any chance Luna?"

"A specific kind of fruit? Well, I am quite partial for blueberries myself." She replied as a thought sprung to mind. "Now that I think about it, Celestia only told me that she kept Twilight's heritage a secret to her and kept a disguise spell over her all these years, she never did tell me what she did with Twilight after that, I had assumed she raised her herself, but from what I just heard and how they call her princess and not her mother normally, I'm guessing she found a family for her instead… I wonder if she knows their not her real family… Should I tell her?" She seemed to be a bit deep in her thoughts, that is till she heard Twilight.

"You like blueberries in your pancakes aswell? Their my favorite too, they taste the best in these pancakes if you ask me, your in for a treat." Twilight smiled as she looks at Luna and then looks back at Spike. "You know what, I think I'll have a few more myself, could you make some more Spike?"

"Ooh! Ooh! Me too! Me too!" Pinkie quickly added.

"Already on it." He replied. "But you really shouldn't eat too much Twi, you hardly go out in the first place and if you don't at least get some exercise later on, it'll go straight to your flanks, even if you have a fast metabolism." Twilight seemed to get a sudden blush and hide her face behind the checklist she was making, mumbling something along the lines of her getting plenty of exercise lately.

"Heh, your mother always ate a lot aswell, seems you got that fast metabolism from her." Luna said out loud while she had meant to just think it, which made both Twilight and Spike look at her in question.

Spike then suddenly asked a question he likely wouldn't have had he not made friends with Luna by now. "Excuse me for asking, but how do you even know Twilight's mom anyway? Weren't you locked away on the moon? It's not like she's over a thousand years old or something." This made Luna freeze for a moment as some sweat drops started to appear.

"Yeah, and what do you mean I got it from my mother? She can hardly eat more then one plate and often watches her weight." Twilight then added, making Luna sweat some more. "And while we're on the topic anyway, why did you call me your goddaughter before? And why do you keep trying to do stuff for me?" Twilight kept bombarding her with questions, unable to stop once she started.

Luna however was starting to sweat more and more as her head started to spin. "Oh great, now you've done it Luna, how will I explain to her she's not of this time or that the family she likely has, isn't her actual family without revealing too much?" Was the last thing she thought before passing out from her head spinning to much.

Much later that day, Luna wakes up inside a small bed. "Ugh, where am I? What happened?" She looked around a bit more, before realizing she was in Twilight's bed at the library and remembered what had happened during breakfast. "Oh… Right." She then let out a sigh as she decided to think of a good way to tell her without hurting her feelings or revealing too much.

Only to blush a moment later when her stomach rumbled. "Oh… Right, never did get that breakfast… Perhaps I'll see about making a sandwich while thinking about this some more, I'm sure they won't mind me making one." She thought to herself while getting up.

Luna went downstairs and was about to enter the kitchen, before suddenly hearing a voice behind her. "Princess Luna? Oh good, your awake." As Luna turned around, there was Twilight, looking a bit apologetic. "I'm sorry about before, I didn't mean to overwhelm you like that, I shouldn't have asked all that right away, you can just tell me when your ready."

Luna looked at her a bit and sighed. "No, I want to tell you, but there are some parts I'm not allowed to tell just yet… And I'm not completely sure you want to hear all of it either… I'm not fully certain how much you know and I don't want to ruin anything for you."

"Ruin anything? … Is this because of you mentioning my mother?" Twilight asked, without Luna having to say anything however, she could read it on her face. "If it's about me being adopted, then I already know, my parents told me a few years ago when they thought I was ready for the truth, they said they never found out who left me at their porch though, but they gave me a note that had been left with me in my crib."

Luna was a bit relieved, at least she wouldn't shatter Twilight's image of her current family, still though, it would still be hard to explain the full truth, just as she was about to say anything however a large rumbling could be heard from her stomach, freezing both of them in place from shock, mostly because they were both in a bit of a stressed mental state till it happened.

But then Twilight suddenly started to laugh, once done she wiped away a tear. "How about those pancakes while we talk?" She then said as she passed Luna who let out an embarrassed smile before following her inside.

"Yes, that's likely for the best." Luna replied as she then sat down at the table.

Luckily Twilight didn't have to make the batter as Spike had already made some earlier that day and put it in the fridge once Luna passed out, which meant that all she had to do was bake them… Which didn't exactly go as planned either, she had managed to set one of the pans on fire before even putting any batter in it and melted the bottom of it. The next time she forgot to put butter in the pan which made the batter stick to the pan as if it's life depended on it, Luna had offered to help, but Twilight insisted on doing it herself and after that several more incidents happened, but finally she managed to make a few pancakes to fill a plate, only a few of them were on it however, and they all looked slightly burned, but they were on the plate.

"Sorry, I really should learn how to cook." Twilight said as she looked at the measly plate with burned pancakes. "I-I'll make you a sandwich instead." She quickly said as she went to grab the plate in order to throw it away, only for Luna to take it before she could and eating a bit she cut off. "P-princess? You don't have to eat that."

"I keep telling you Twilight, please, call me Luna, none of this princess stuff." She brought another bite to her mouth. "I must say though, while your cooking could do with some help, this is quite the tasty pancake if you eat around the burned parts."

"Really?" Twilight let out a relieved sigh. "Thank the stars, I was worried you wouldn't like my mother's pancakes just because I'm a terrible cook."

"With how good these taste, I wouldn't be surprised if the ones you made earlier would still taste good." Luna took another bite, biting into a blueberry. "And these blueberries taste delicious in it."

"I know right? Mom always said that the secret ingredient is lots and lots of love, she said to go to stores that treat their produce with lots off love aswell." Twilight let out a little giggle. "I know it sounds sappy, but I could always tell when the ingredients were taken care of with lots of love and it always tasted so much better when we used those ingredients, my brother said he didn't taste much difference between when mom got the ingredients or when I did, but mom always said they tasted better aswell."

Twilight suddenly put her hoof to her mouth. "Ah! I'm sorry, here I am rambling about this while you were about to tell me about what you meant earlier."

Luna smiled. "I don't mind, I was trying to think of how to put it anyway." She put her hoof to her chin. "Hmm, now let's see… Well, what do you want to know first?"

"Well… You mentioned my mother before, and being my godmother, so I take it you knew her personally at least and I'd want to know more… But first, I think I'd like to know how it's possible, I mean you were imprisoned on the moon afterall, did you have some kind of communication device or something?" Twilight then asked.

Luna's smile faded a bit, as she recalled what had happened in her mind. "It's… A bit complicated… And I hope I'll be able to tell you the whole story at some point, but all I can tell right now is that you weren't born in this age, but before I was imprisoned."

Twilight's face was a bit of a mix of shock, curiosity and a slight hint of fear. "W… What do you mean? I was born over a thousand years ago? But how is that possible? I grew up as a little foal, I'm only sixteen right now."

Luna sighed as her face darkened a little bit. "You were… Stillborn." Twilight seemed both surprised and afraid before Luna continued. "Your mother was filled with grief, your father however refused to just let it go, so he went to his lab and looked through all thee books he had, all the studies he did, until finally he found a spell, a very ancient and forbidden spell that used magic nopony should use."

Twilight swallowed from what she had guessed that her real father had likely done, while Luna continued the story. "He changed it a bit to prevent the worse from happening, but even he couldn't remove all of the side effects of the spell, as he returned to you and started to add the runes." Luna took a deep breath as she tried to calm herself a bit. "I found him just as he was about to initiate the spell, he explained what he did briefly and then asked me to always keep you safe, before he then gave up his own life to save yours."

Twilight had tears in her eyes, she didn't expect to be able to ever see her real father even before Luna told her about it being so long ago and didn't expect it after hearing that, but this just made reality hit her even more, there really wasn't any way he'd still be alive now, she started to cry and Luna wrapped her wings around her in order to comfort Twilight.

After a bit of comforting and calming down, Twilight looked back at Luna. "So… What happened next? Why didn't my mother take care of me? And how come I didn't grow up in that age?"

Luna sighed and looked outside the window, at the day time. "She would have likely wanted to, but the… Staff thought I had killed him and tried to conceal that you were alive from the moment you were born, so I had to escape with you in my hooves… You see, the alterations he made to the spell prevented too many lives from being taken, normally a whole town at least would be needed to fuel the spell, but instead he had opted to encase you in a sort of chrysalis and keep you in that state for a thousand years as you gained the life you needed…"

Luna hadn't lied, that was how it went, she just left out the part where the spell had taken at least a few more lives at first and taken life energy from those about to die over the years, she figured it would be better for Twilight not to know just yet, lest she were to think badly of her father who only did all he could to save his only daughter.

"My sister however found out I was keeping you safe, as she found the hidden room I was keeping you at and misunderstood, she thought I had taken the egg of… Some 'dangerous' being, she then decided to hide you and act like she destroyed it, I'm still not sure why, but that pretty much made me go over the edge and I turned into Nightmare Moon." Luna explained.

"Huh, wait, wait, wait just a moment there." Twilight then suddenly said. "You mean to tell me that the whole night eternal thing isn't what made you do it in the first place? It wasn't because you were jealous of her day as ponies shunned the night as it's written?"

"Is that how history remembered me? No wonder ponies back at Canterlot all looked at me so fearful, I'm surprised there are so many ponies here to just accept me then." Luna mused. "I'll have to have a talk with Celestia next time I see her again about this." She then sighed once more, calming herself a bit. "No, while it is true that I wanted to bring night eternal, it was more of a revenge thing then my actual goal, at this point I felt that Celestia had taken everything from me that I loved, so I decided to take everything she ever loved, in a way I wanted to turn her dreams into nightmares as payback… Which is kinda what made me pick the name Nightmare Moon."

"So much of what I thought to be true is wrong… I wonder why she never told me?" Twilight asked herself out loud.

"Likely because the story was already so well known, had she simply said so, you would have known something was off, and likely just went straight for the castle rather then make friends first." Luna replied, knowing Twilight didn't ask her and also not really feeling like she wanted to help Celestia with this, but she had taken care of Twilight for all this time afterall.

She then continued. "When I was defeated my sister also likely realized her mistake and decided to take care of you in my stead, she's also likely the one to have brought you to your current family once you got out of the chrysalis, which brings us to this age… Though I am surprised she at least remembered the name I had told her before I turned into Nightmare Moon, if only I had said your full name however."

"I can't believe I'm from a different time period completely, I can't believe I even considered that other possibility, I feel so silly now." Twilight looked down, slightly disappointed with herself, before raising an eyebrow. "Wait, full name?"

"I only mentioned the name Twilight at he time, the Sparkle part is something my sister added, your actual last name… Actually, perhaps it's best I keep that for another day, I do not intend to take away a name you loved for this long." Luna said before she raised an eyebrow out of curiosity for the rest of her sentence. "So another possibility huh? Does this mean you already made a reason for this in your mind?"

"Ah… Yeah… But it's a silly one." Twilight said slightly blushing.

"Well, let's hear it, it must be quite something if your reacting like that." Luna said as she smiled warmly.

"Oh, it's really nothing grand." Twilight responded. "It's just that with the familiar hoofwriting, after you said the whole godmother thing and me thinking that if anypony would have a way to communicate with you while imprisoned on the moon… I thought that perhaps…"

Luna blinked a few times, before bursting into laughter. "You actually thought that my sister could be your mother?" She kept laughing as Twilight puffed her face. "Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not laughing at you, it's just that… My sister? Getting together with somepony and having a child? Oh wow, now that's rich, she would never even consider having children of her own, she'd be too afraid it would interfere with her 'royal duties'."

It was getting late after Luna had told Twilight some of the stories she had with her sister in the past as examples for this, aswell as some other stories mostly where Celestia had messed up and Luna had to clean up after her, with Twilight then telling one or two stories herself, though she admitted that she had thought them to be assignments Celestia had made on purpose, and not actual incidents till just now.

Luna raised the moon as the time came, still talking with Twilight about some of her old adventures, but when Twilight asked about her real mother and father Luna had simply said that she would like to tell her, but that it was likely best to keep it for another time as she needed to think about how to tell her about them without telling her things she should find out on her own.

Twilight didn't fully understand why she had to find out some parts on her own first, but she did understand that Luna had her reasons for saying so at least, so she decided to just leave it for another time.

Spike came back a bit late, who apparently had spend the day with Pinkie and had only just escaped, as she had asked him to sample pancakes for her as she tried to replicate the recipe without him telling her, Spike had simply thought of the free pancakes he would be getting, not the amount he would actually have to eat however and was a bit sick from it all.

Which means it really wasn't that unexpected for him to run of for the bathroom when Twilight had mentioned she made some pancakes for Luna earlier on, Twilight just grimaced a bit as she asked herself if she was really that bad at it, before later on realizing the truth when Pinkie had burst into the room asking where Spike was since he never gave her an answer on if those last ones tasted any good.

It was however late and Twilight noted that besides breakfast, she herself had not yet eaten and Pinkie had already left, she also realized that there's no way she could ask Spike to prepare anything right now and she herself… Might not be the best choice, she briefly considered eating out.

It was then that Luna had offered to make her something if she was that hungry, she would just need to get some ingredients from her place is all and left before Twilight could say anything, in her mind she wondered if Luna could cook, seeing as she herself couldn't and royalty normally don't make their own meals.

She was pleasantly surprised when Luna had returned with a few ingredients she hadn't seen before and started to prepare the meal, they looked a bit like pink hayburgers she noted to herself before Luna started to bake them, she couldn't help but think the smell that came from them was amazing though.

Once finished, Luna put down two plates with two of these burgers on them, as they ate Twilight said that they taste amazing and asked what their called, Luna told her these were called cheeseburgers, as Twilight then finished the first one she said 'so their made of cheese? I didn't know cheese could taste so good.' To which Luna looked at her and said that that was just the name, they were actually made of montre, Twilight wondered what montre was, but was sure she'd find out eventually, and she would be sure to eat with Luna more often now.

A few weeks later a griffin by the name of Gilda visited Ponyville, Pinkie had seemed upset for a while but had in the end organized a party to make up, certain pranks were made during the party however and since Pinkie had been guiding Gilda all the while it had looked like she was doing it on purpose, at least to Twilight it seemed that way, so when Gilda blew up at Pinkie, Twilight didn't find it so odd, but when Dash said she had been the one that made the pranks and they weren't all meant for her, Twilight thought that it was still quite odd that Pinkie kept making Gilda do all the ones that had pranks, like she had known in advance, which was surely possible with her Pinkie sense.

Gilda had just left the village after that and had seemed mentally hurt by all this, though everypony but Twilight had seemingly failed to notice this, Twilight also didn't want to bring this up right now, so she left and headed for Luna's place, since she was invited for dinner anyway and felt like she wanted to talk to somepony she could trust about this.

Imagine her surprise when Gilda suddenly showed up as they were eating some burgers, she had decided to get some payback before actually leaving, when she smelled a certain smell and decided to follow it, only to find Twilight eating at Luna's place and couldn't help but ask if she could have a bite with them, Twilight had thought Gilda didn't really like ponies besides Rainbow Dash at this point and she might not even do that after today's events, but she decided to give her a chance since it was awfully unfair to her how things ended and wanted to make her feel better at least, Twilight even told her how unfair she had thought her friends actions were during the meal.

As Gilda was about to leave though, Twilight asked what had made her come back, to which Gilda had simply replied. "Well, I originally wanted to play a giant prank on you all as payback… But after I smelled that delicious smell I got hungry… And hey, any pony that eats meat, is alright in my book." And then took off, for real this time, though she did wonder if she had actually overreacted a bit after having spend some time with Twilight.

Twilight however had frozen in place, Gilda just told her she just ate meat? Did that mean that burgers were made of meat which Twilight had been eating for a while now? And she'd been liking it all this time?


Author's Note:

For those that are interested, I got the name Montre in the same way stuff like beef, pork, mutton and so forth were originally named, as I found out their names originated from the french language, so I turned Monster into Montre.