• ...
103
 11
 1,145

Episode 18: Rising worries

Author's Note:

this ep may be short and the plot a bit dry, but I am getting freakishly bored of this fic (still several eps to go to make 26) plus, it's hard to juggle two separate plots at once

EPISODE EIGHTEEN

Lightning brought Zecora back to town, escorted by the police chief and his remaining team, straight to the hospital.

“We need some help here!” Lightning called out. The doctors and nurses came out with a stretcher. “What happened?” asked the doctor. “A tree-limb fell on her, it hit her really hard. I think she has concussion!”

The people got in closer, but as soon as they removed Zecora’s hood, and saw who she was, they backed away in fright. “It’s Zecora!” a nurse cried.

“Keep her away!” cried another one.

Lightning was livid and confused, “She needs help!”

The doctors and nurses hesitated, and naturally, because of their oath to help people, no matter whom they were or how they felt, they were forced to help her out. “Let’s get her settled in.” said the doctor.

Lightning stopped one of the nurses and asked, “What’s with everyone? Every time I so much as mention her to anyone, they all act as if they’ve seen a ghost.”

The nurse decided to tell him everything.

(Que intro)


At the Prison Tower, The Sirens were practicing their singing, which helped to test their new powers, by levitating a few simple objects on the table, and even levitating the table itself.

“Cool, it works!” cried Sonata, but by speaking, she broke the concentration, and the table and objects crashed down on the floor, “…Sorry.”

The others sighed, but they were content that their new magic was working out, but it still needed some work.

“I think you all sounded incredible.” said Keto. The Sirens felt flattered, “Thanks, I guess…” said Adagio “But in the meantime, you might want to send a monster out already?”

“Yeah, we need to keep the rangers distracted so they don’t get onto our big plans.” added Aria “And if the rangers get destroyed… whatever! Just let us practice.”

“You got it…” said Keto, “And I know just the one for the job.”

He left the chamber, and called down to Marla and Bronc, “Okay, let him out!”

His comrades nodded at him and then opened a cell releasing a new monster. He was called Float-A-Bob, and he seemed to be a rather weird looking monster. His head resembled that of a life preserve with a monstrous face, and his body, though it looked like a big balloon, it was solid like steel, for it was a giant air-tank.

“BOOYA! I’m ready to blow!” he chuckled.

Keto teleported down to the others and explained, “The bosses inspired me.

I did some research on this guy, and he’s got the power to make things rise off the ground like balloons. Think of it; how can the rangers fight if they’re stuck in midair?”

“Hmm… seems plausible.” said Marla “But we have all these super powers. Why don’t we just go and crush those pests ourselves?”

Bronc gave her a flick to her head with his fingers, “You dummy! You heard what the mistresses said: We need to keep our powers for what they’re really needed, it’s all part of their plan… whatever that may be. If the rangers get us in battle, everything could be ruined.”

“Ha!” scoffed Float, “You just leave those rangers to me. You won’t need any big plans when I’m through them with them. I’ll float them up so high, they’ll be helpless.”

Then he headed off, and Keto snickered “This is going to be fun.”

Bronc and Marla on the other hand, smelled another failure in the making.



When Float arrived in the city, “Now, let’s see. What would get the ranger’s attention?” and then he realized, “Ah… of course.”

He began to inflate smaller preserver-shaped, which were actually powerful explosives that he pitched into the streets. KAPOW!! KABOOM!! Explosions erupted all over, damaging the streets and frightening the people. “Talk about a blow up.” Float laughed.


The Rangers, already morphed, arrived on the scene in no time. “You there!” shouted Sunset “Whoever you are, knock it off or we’ll knock you out!”

“Ha!” snapped Float “You’ll have to blow your way through my friends first.” And he called forth a swarm of Lingos, “Attack!”

The Lingos rushed forth, and rangers lunged at them.


Sunset did a tornado kick, and knocked one of them down easily. Then elbowed another in the guy and flipped it by the arm and flat onto its back.

Three more Lingos charged and Rainbow and she began to act like a sports commenter and a soccer-player. “The field’s wide open! The offense is closing in…!” she called it right as the Lingos attacked, and she gave a single a dramatic soccer-kick, knocking them all down in one shot.

Buddy brawled the Lingos that came at him, “You’d think with all that power they absorbed, they’d improve their fighting styles.”

“Guess they never learn.” said Rhymey, and he bonked two Lingos’ heads together, “Which is why they burn!”

Fluttershy was surrounded by several Lingos, but she waited until they all lunged at her at once and then leapt up high, causing them to crash into each other.

“Got’cha!” hissed Float, and he tossed two special preservers straight at her, which ensnared her and bound her tightly, and cuffed her legs together. “Help…! I can’t move!” she cried.

“Fluttershy!” shouted Sunset, and before she knew it, the monster ensnared her as well, and the others.

“What is this?” snapped Rainbow.

“Man, these things are snug tight!” added Buddy.

Float laughed at the helpless rangers, “What’s the matter? Feeling a bit down? Well, let ME give you a lift!” and his head began to glow brightly, along with the binds around the rangers.

“Uh-oh!” cried Sunset “I know what this is! I recognize the glowing.”

“What is it then?” asked Fluttershy, but she suddenly got her answer as she began to rise up off the ground like a balloon, followed by each of the others.

“We’re rising off the ground!
We’re air-bound!” cried Rhymey.

“It’s levitation magic…!” said Sunset “We’re just going to keep going higher and higher!”

The monster laughed at them as they continued to rise, “That’s right, until I decide to let you down that is… which I will… from way high up, and you’ll plummet to your doom!”

The rangers whimpered behind their helmets as they rose higher and higher into the air. They couldn’t reach for their morphers, and even if they could break out of the binds, they’d just fall anyway.

“Whoa! High… High… Very high!” cried Rainbow. Much as she loved flying, she didn’t like being suspended high up over things!

“Sunset, can’t you use your own magic?” asked Buddy.

“I don’t think so…” said Sunset “These hoops are too tight, I can’t concentrate!”


The rangers continued to rise, and Float laughed wickedly. “Now, I think I’ll do more. I think I’ll lift this entire city way up into the sky and smash it down hard!”

He unleashed more hoops, giant ones that fit perfectly around the many large buildings in the city and lifted them weightlessly into the air, with so many people stuck inside them, panicking and yelling out for help as the buildings went higher and higher.


At the ranger’s base, the alarms were going off like crazy. “Sir, are you seeing this?!” cried Twilight. Celesto nodded, “If those buildings come down, it’ll make the biggest mess we’ve ever known, maybe even damage to the island to the point of sinking.”

Spike gulped nervously at such a thought, “What are we going to do?”



Meanwhile, at the hospital, Zecora was being treated to, and Lightning was aghast to hear of why people were so freaked out over her…

It turned out that many conspiracies about Zecora were spread throughout the land, that Zecora was more of a wicked witch rather than a witchdoctor-- the way she would live deep in the jungle, gathering strange ingredients like spider legs, or ivy plants and things like that.

Then one day, there was a fire in the jungle where her hut used to be, and it was believed that she started it, as she was tired of people seeking her out asking for her to help them with her powers to communicate with spirits and nature, and she just disappeared, and was only seen every so often by passersby who had seen her in her robe as she crept through town at night.

“Well, that’s just silly.” said Lightning. He didn’t believe for one minute that Zecora would do such things, not the way he knew her.


The doctor came out, and Lightning looked at him with anxiousness on his face wanting to hear the results. “She’s got a little bruising on her head, but she’s stable for now.”

Lightning was relieved, “Will she wake up?”

“She should, but it will take time.” replied the doctor, “I’m surprised you brought her here, of all the people. Some of the other patients are feeling creeped out.”

Lightning sighed, “Look, I don’t know what you people think, but that woman saved my life earlier, and years ago as well, and she even helped me out. I think I know her better than any of you do.”

The doctor and the nurse didn’t know what to think now, but they promised to do all that they could for Zecora. Then they went off to tend to other patients, leaving Lightning with nothing to do but wait until Zecora would awaken.

Suddenly he could hear a tapping on the window in the hallway. It was Krysta, she, like all pets, wasn’t allowed in the hospital. Lightning made sure no one was watching, and opened the window.

“How is she?” Krysta asked.

“They say she’s alright…” he paused.

“But…?” Krysta asked.

“Well… I can’t watch her every single second. Visiting hours will be over soon anyway. So I want you to watch outside her window.”

“You think she’ll try and make a break for it?”

“She might. There are a lot of stories going on about her, but we can’t let her get away. Remember, she’s the only one that can help us.”

Krysta agreed to keep watch.


Meanwhile, the rangers were flying higher and higher still, and were now over-one-thousand feet high.

Some of them were shivering…

“Ooh, it’s getting colder as we go higher.
And it won’t be long before magic will expire.” said Rhymey.

“He’s… right…!” chattered Fluttershy, and she motioned with her head at how the hoops were starting to lose their light.

“The magic…!” cried Sunset “It’s fading...!”

The rangers all looked down, and what a drop it was. Not to mention all the buildings that were rising up beneath them, all full of panicking civilians.

“I feel sorrier for those peeps than for us.” said Rainbow.

Buddy struggled and pulled, “It’s no use! These hoops are too tight! We can’t break free.”

“Even if we could, how can we possibly save all those people and the buildings?” asked Fluttershy.


Down below, Float-A-Bob was snickering wickedly, “I think they’re just about high enough. Any second now, they’ll start falling like rocks, and then I’ll send the buildings to crash down right on top of their remains!”


Unfortunately for him, back at the rangers’ base, “I’ve got it!” said Twilight “We’ll send out the Star-Jets and fly them on remote. We’ll catch the rangers in the cockpits and use the tractor beams to hold the buildings.”

Celesto thought it over, “It’s feasible, and it just may work.

Alright! Do it!”

Twilight nodded, “Launch Star-Jets!”

“Summon Zords!”

The jets were launched…

…And not a moment too soon.


“Now!!” shouted Float, and his floatation spell ceased on the rangers, their hoop binds vanished, and the rangers began to plummet down, down, down…!!

“It was nice knowing you, guys!” Rainbow called to her friends.

“Ah, man! This is it!” cried Buddy.


Float could see them falling from the ground and he laughed at the sight, “Happy landings, Rangers!” but suddenly the Star Jets came soaring in up over him, “What the--?!”

“Look! The Star Jets!” cried Sunset.

Celesto then called over the radio, “Rangers, try to fall into the cockpits of your jets.”

“I don’t think I can make it!” cried Fluttershy.

“Yes you will,
Just keep still.” said Rhymey.

Fluttershy did as she was told, and didn’t flail around…


…while at the base, the others were controlling the Star Jet’s moments. “Steady! Steady on!” said Celesto.

Twilight and Spike were feeling sweaty and nervous. They had to aim the jets exactly right and keep the approach steady. “If we’re off even by so much as inch, we could end up hitting the rangers hard!” cried Twilight “It’ll slice them in half like bananas!”

“Here they come!” cried Spike “The cockpits are open.”


The jets hovered softly beneath each ranger, and every slowly began to rise up, catching each ranger so they each landed safely in their seats. “Whoa!” cried Sunset “What a catch!”

“Talk about a wicked aerial stunt!” said Rainbow.


Fluttershy didn’t know if she’d ever feel the same again, but Rhymey was glad she was safe.


“Hey! That’s not fair!” wailed the monster “Rotten Rangers, you cheated somehow!”



“Rangers…!” Twilight called to the team “Use your tractor beams to grab the buildings. Hurry before they fall!”

“Got it, Twilight.” said Spike “You heard her guys. Let’s help those people.”

“Firing tractor beam!” said Buddy.


All the jets beams caught each and every building, steadying them out just as the levitation magic ceased, much to the monster’s annoyance!

“That’s it! Blow up my plans? I don’t think so!”


Keto saw everything from the tower monitors. “I couldn’t agree more.” he said, and he decided to call upon one of his old tricks. He stepped up to the window and held his staff out, “FORTISSIMO!!”

The magical mugic flew to Mystic Island and worked its spell on the monster, making him grow to a giant size.

“Whoa! Look!” cried Rainbow.

The giant monster stood tall and laughed wickedly. “Now let’s have a REAL airshow!” he taunted, and he unleashed more of his explosive hoops at the jets. The explosions rocked the jets hard, and shook their rangers about in their cockpits. Worse than that, the buildings were all shaken about, and the poor civilians inside were rocked about hard!

“Hold it steady!” cried Sunset “We can’t drop the buildings!”

“Oh! Those poor people!” cried Fluttershy.


Buddy whirled his jet round to face the monster, just as he unleashed more explosives. “Fire lasers!” shouted Buddy, and he blasted two explosives to bits, but the force of the explosion still caused the tractor beams to wave softly, and rock the buildings about.

“Ah, man!” cried Buddy “We can’t even fight to defend ourselves. We’ve got to keep that monster distracted so we can set the buildings down!”

“But how?” asked Rainbow “We can’t form the megazord, not with the buildings in tow.”


Twilight heard their concerns, “It’s okay, we thought of this.” She said to the rangers, “I’ve sent the Comet Striker.”

“That’s great,
But we can’t wait.” said Rhymey

“We must set these buildings where they were at the start,
If we don’t… then soon they’ll shake apart.”

“Let’s hurry!” said Sunset, and the jet’s all veered off to put the buildings back where they belonged.

“You can’t fly away from me!” Flat called to them, “I can shoot you from this far!” and he suddenly was rammed hard as the Comet Striker crashed right into him and sent him rolling along the ground.

The Striker stood ready, punching its fists together, and the monster got onto his feet, “Okay you oversized tin-can! Now I’m full of hot air!” and he rushed forth, punching and attacking like crazy.


“Try me, Air-head!” Twilight sneered, and she hammered on the controls while keeping her eyes on the monitors, making the Striker fight back.



The Striker punched and blocked the monster’s fists, and socked him hard in his metal chest, but didn’t cause him much damage, while the monster kicked the Striker back, making sparks fly.

The two then collided in a great big fist struggle and pushed against one another.

The monster laughed, “Now take this!” and he socked the zord hard in the face, knocking it back a few paces. “Now for my next trick, the flying explosives!” shouted Float, and he fired his explosives right at the zord, creating many explosions, and the Striker fell over on its back.


“Oh, no!” cried Twilight.

“Come on, Twilight! Get it back up!” cried Spike.

“I’m trying!” yelled Twilight as she hammered the controls. “Come on! Come on…!”


Float approached the fallen zord, “Looks like someone could use a little lift. Or in your case, a big thrash…!” and he raised his arms to strike the zord hard, when suddenly he got slashed at by the Jet-Star Megazord and its sword.

“Looks like your problems just doubled.” Sunset called out.

The megazord then gave the Striker a hand and helped it upright onto its feet.

“Ha!” scoffed the monster, “Try these on for size!” and he bound the two zords in large hoops, holding them tightly in place. The megazord even dropped its sword to the ground.

“The legs, I can’t move them!” cried Rainbow.

“The arms are stuck too!
What’ll we do?!” added Rhymey

“Going up!” hissed the monster, the hoops glowed just like before, and the two zords were lifted right off the ground. “He’s lifting us up again!” cried Fluttershy.

“Oh, no he’s not! Not this time.” said Sunset “Ultra-Star Megazord, Now!”

“Zords Combine!”

The transformation worked, and succeeded in breaking the bindings as the zords combined together.

“Ultra-Star Megazord, Ready!”

And the since the megazord was capable of flight, it used its rockets to soften its landing, and Float-A-Bob’s magic wouldn’t work on it like the others! “Now I’m really steaming up!” the monster growled, and he meant that quite literally as hot air seemed to burst through him.

“Well, here…! Let us cool you off!” said Sunset. With that, the zord raised its fists, fired its rockets, and thrust forward, punching Float hard in his metal tank, puncturing it and letting all the air out in a huge burst of clear smog.

“My air tank…!” Float cried out “My beautiful tank! Look what you’ve done!”

“Now’s out chance!” shouted Sunset “Charging energy blast!”

“Energy Charge, Ready!”

Once the charge was ready, the rangers shouted, “STAR BLAST WAVE… FIRE!!” the wave was unleashed, enveloping the monster. “I’M FEELING A LITTLE AIRSICK!!” he screamed, and he exploded, was imprisoned and beamed into the cockpit.

The rangers cheered and rejoiced, and Sunset declared, “Monster Captured! Mission Complete!”


Back at the Prison Tower, the villains sulked. “Well, that didn’t go very well at all.” said Marla.

Keto angrily slammed his staff into the wall in outrage. “If only I could’ve been out there, then they and that city would be in ruins!!” He kept on smashing and pounding the wall in his tantrum until The Siren started singing, and their magical voices actually soothed him.

“Feel better now?” asked Adagio.

“Yes… as a matter of fact I do.”

The others all sighed, “I can understand his frustration as well.” said Bronc “The rangers seem to be getting stronger, more clever all the time!”

“Well so are we…” said Aria “And keep in mind, these pitiful loses don’t mean that much. It just helps us to get them to expose more of their resources and maybe even their weaknesses, which helps bring us closer to beating them!”

“Yeah!” said Sonata, “Uh… how exactly?”

Everyone groaned and just walked away.

“No… really-- What?”


The rangers delivered their capture to the base, where Celesto was just getting off the phone with the construction foremen and authorities on the buildings. He was careful not to let them know HE was the rangers’ manager, “Thank you… and yes I wish I knew more about those rangers too.” and he hung up.

“Well done, Rangers. The Foremen informs me all the buildings are perfectly set down again where they should be. Some of the civilians were hurt, but nothing too serious.”

“I’m very relieved to hear that.” said Fluttershy.

Sunset then stepped forth and explained, “With the Comet Striker keeping the monster at bay. We were able to return to buildings to their proper locations, and then used our Crystal-Battle Armor healing to secure them all in place.”

Buddy cut in, “Once the buildings were all safe we headed straight back to the battle, and a good thing too.”

“Still…” said Rainbow “Even though we came close, that was a pretty lame monster they sent after us. I mean, they have all that power, why didn’t they come after us themselves again?”

Rhymey thought it over and said,

“This is just a thought
It’s all I’ve got.

They may have much power, but do we,
Perhaps they’re testing, observing us closely.”

“It’s possible...” agreed Twilight “There’s no way of telling what The Sirens are really up to.”

Spike felt a shudder crawl up his doggy back. “I hope Lightning’s having better luck in his own mission.”

“So do I, Spike.” said Celesto and he checked his watch, “It’s well after nightfall in Africa now. I wonder what’s going on over there.”


Visiting hours had ended long ago at the hospital, and Lightning had left prior to, but he remained within close vicinity and kept a careful watch outside of Zecora’s window, which was on ground level.

Krysta remained perched in the tree near the window itself.

“I really hope she doesn’t try to flee.” Lightning said to himself, all he could do now was continue to watch.