• ...
103
 11
 1,145

Episode 15: Gift from an Old Friend (Part 1)

EPISODE FIFTEEN

Lightning and Krysta had explored the vast jungle for a few days, with what camping gear and supplies they had. Krysta even flew overhead for aerial search.

Eventually, they found a small clearing deep within the jungle center, which they both recognized well. “This is the place…!” cried Lightning “I remember this is where Zecora had her hut.”

Krysta looked around at all the trees and brambles, “Yeah, I recognize it too, but I don’t see any hut anywhere.”

They looked all around, and the area was completely clear, as if the hut had been moved. There was not a trace of it to be seen anywhere. “I don’t believe this.” said Lightning “We came all this way and she’s not here anymore. Then again, it was anticipated.”

“What do we do now?” asked Krysta. “We keep looking, that’s what.” replied Lightning “We’ll have to keep asking people if they know what happened.”

Krysta blinked once, “Um, I don’t mean to sound discouraging, but we tried that before, and everyone just ran off like cowards.”

Lightning knew this, but he still wasn’t willing to give in.

Suddenly, he heard the sound of twigs snapping, like being stepped on, which startled him and Krysta. “Who’s there?” Lightning called, but neither he nor Krysta could hear or see anyone.

Suddenly, Krysta got struck by a tranquilizer dart and she flopped into Lightning’s hands, “Krysta!” Lightning cried, and then he himself got shot in the neck by another dart, and he fell unconscious too.

There was a rustling sound from the bushes, and three sinister looking men loomed over Lightning. He was a skinny bald man with a big blag mustache, and his two goons were big and burly men.

“Lightning Dawn, we meet again.” the man hissed, and he told his goons, “Put him in the cage, and his bird in the little cage. I won’t have them interfering in my plans this time!”

One of the goons scooped Krysta up in his hands, and the other picked Lightning up and held him over his back hauling him away.

(Que Intro)


Sunset found herself standing in a strange place, a kind of special void with stars, comets and planet dancing all around her. “Um… Oooo-kay…” she said to no one in particular.

Suddenly, there came a flash of white light, and there before her appeared someone she knew from long ago, “Flash…!” she cried “…Flash Sentry!”

“Hello, Sunset.”

It was him, but in his normal human shape. He didn’t appear to her in his Crystallite Alien form.

“What’s happening? I thought you were dead?” asked Sunset.

“I am indeed…” replied Flash “But this is the only way I am able to communicate with you, for I wish to give you something special that will no doubt help you and your friends battle your enemies.”

“Help us?” Sunset asked with great interest. Flash nodded and explained to her, “Sometime ago, while my mother and I were plotting treachery to the human world, I had hidden a small portion of my alien powers within a secret place. I had never told anyone this not wishing for unscrupulous people to get their hands on it, but I feel it shall serve you and your friends well.”

Sunset asked almost excitedly, “Well, tell me where to find it.”

Flash shook his head, “I haven’t time to reveal the entire puzzle, but I can tell you where to find the first clue: Look behind my old locker at Canterlot High.”

He began to fade off. “Wait, don’t go!” Sunset called to him, but everything suddenly faded out to white…

…And she woke up! She rubbed her head as she came to her senses, yet that dream felt so incredibly real. She almost didn’t know whether to believe it or not.


She rounded up the other rangers and Twilight, and they met at the outdoor café for a quick breakfast. She told them all about her dream…

“You’re sure about this?” asked Twilight. “I’m positive.” replied Sunset “In my home-world, when ponies have dreams like that it’s usually for a reason, like a message.

Look, I know it sounds crazy, but I think we should trust in what Flash had to say.”

A moment of silence followed, and Rainbow broke the silence saying, “I believe you…”

“So do I.” added Buddy.

Sunset felt a little flattered, “You do?”

Rhymey nodded and explained,

“For three years we’ve had strange powers and fought evil beasts,
After all that’s happened, nothing seems impossible to say the least.”

Fluttershy agreed, “How can we not believe you, Sunset. Besides, if it’ll help us beat The Sirens, who are we to question?”

Sunset smiled warmly was most thankful for her friends, but neither she nor the others realized that Keto was hiding behind the corner and listening to everything they said. “Wait until I tell The Sirens this!”


He got back to the tower, and was about to enter The Siren’s room. He could hear them singing from within.

Suddenly Bronc blocked him off. “And where do you think you’re going?” he asked “The mistresses have requested they not be disturbed. They are in the process of perfecting their singing powers.”

It was in vain that Keto could try and get through, plus, now that he thought, even he didn’t wish to interrupt the beautiful singing he heard. “Fine, I’ll tell you what I heard. The rangers are going on a little treasure hunt to find a hidden power which they plan to use against us.”

Bronc winced once, “Oh, are they now?”

Marla poked into the room, “Treasure? Power…? Sounds like something maybe we could use as well. We’ll just have to find it before they do.”

“…And I know just the monster that can help us.”

He led his comrades to a cage where a monster named Prospector sat. He looked very much like his name, a plump yet strong looking monster, with a shaggy beard and a bent up cowboy hat. He was armed with sticks of dynamite on a sash, a strong shovel and a sharp pick on his back.

His weapons couldn’t help him while he was locked up, but he was very surprised when his cell was opened. “What in tarnation is goin’ on?” he asked.

“Get up, Prospector!” said Bronc “You’re coming with us on a little treasure hunt.”

At first, Prospector didn’t seem interested, “I’ve been in this here cell for over a-hundred years, and I ain’t about to leave for…” he suddenly snapped upright, “…“Treasure” did you say? Well, saddle up and let’s ride! YEE-HAW!!”

Marla and Keto were starting to feel unimpressed.


Meanwhile, the rangers contacted Celesto and asked for him to unlock the school. When he was told of Sunset’s dream, he, too, was rather enthusiastic of seeking this power Flash had left for them.

It was rather dark inside the school; then again Summer Vacation had only started a week and a half ago. All the lights were out, and all the windows were covered with shade flaps to keep the sunlight out of the building and heating things up over the holidays.

It was still bright enough to see where to go anyway, and everyone took a moment to pass Flash’s memorial plaque in the school entrance hall. It read…

“Dedicated to the memory of Flash Sentry.
A strong-minded individual who showed us all the true meaning of honour, and that sometimes, life and people’s actions are not actually carved in stone, but you can choose how to shape it.”

The rangers and Celesto held their heads low, taking a moment to remember him, and though Twilight didn’t know him that well, she bowed too.

Spike poked his head out from Twilight’s knapsack, “Um, remind me what happened again?” he asked. “I’m not trying to be disrespectful.”

Rhymey filled in everything with his rhymes.

“The real human called Flash had died long ago
And this Flash took his place, this we did not know,
Until he and his mother revealed who they were,
…Evil aliens or wickedness and power!

They sought to control our world as it was,
And Lightning Dawn came to stop their cause
It was there that we first gain our powers and might,
And we confronted they aliens and engaged in a fight.

In the end, Flash’s mother had been destroyed,
While her son was attacked, turned humanoid,
His evil power had gone, they were no longer there
But Flash lost his memories, and his mind was bare.

So he lived the life of a normal Earth boy
There were many things that he did enjoy.
Then, a while back, while we were all at camp
The Sirens and the Demonites did tramp,

These evildoers reawakened Flash’s mind,
The memories of his evil ways he had left behind.
His powers crept forth, and while he became very strong,
He chose not to be evil, he knew that was wrong.

He could never betray the goodness he had come to great terms
So he fights on our side against the evil worms!
The battle was won, and victory was claimed
But Flash had been struck, he was badly maimed.

He died right there, he had met with his end.
We were all heartbroken to have lost our dear friend.
So we made this plaque to honor his memory.
And that brings me to the end of this summary.”


Rhymey clutched his chest, feeling deeply moved by his own poetry. The others all felt deeply moved. “That was beautiful, Rhymey.” said Celesto “Very moving.”

Fluttershy held her boyfriend’s hand to calm him, and Rhymey caught hold of himself.

“Okay, what was it that Flash told you, Sunset?” Rainbow asked. “He told me to look behind his old locker.” replied Sunset.

Flash had had several lockers in his time at Canterlot High, like most students would get a new locker every year. So the team decided to visit the locker he had from his first year when he was still originally evil.

There was no lock on the door, but the locker was completely empty inside. “Great! Nothing at all.” groaned Spike, “Maybe it was just a dream after all.”

Sunset shook her head; “Flash said to look BEHIND the locker, which may mean…” she reached out for the coat-hook on the back of the locker and just as she thought, it was a fake wall that fell forward revealing a hole in the solid school wall.

“Incredible.” said Celesto. He examined the hole, “This alcove has been carved out of this solid concrete, and yet it was here all the time and no one noticed.”

“Can you see anything?” asked Fluttershy.

Celesto switched on the built-in flashlight in his walking-stick to see. The alcove was very small, but there was a small metal box inside it.

“What is that?” asked Buddy.

Nobody could tell, but Celesto opened it, and inside was nothing more than an ordinary white stone with a hint of blue.

Twilight scanned it with her alien-tracker, “It’s definitely not of Earth origin, but I can figure out what it is.”

“I know what it is.” Sunset said as she took the stone, “I used to study these things back in my world. This is a location stone. It acts like a sort of radar whenever you’re near something magically linked to it. Flash must’ve hidden his power away and enchanted this stone to help him find it.”

“Well that’s fine and all, but how do we use it to find the power?” asked Rainbow.

Sunset said nothing, but instead she just held the stone out in front of her and began to walk downt he hall. “Sunset…?” Fluttershy called.

The team followed her to the front-doors and out of the building. That’s when the stone gave of a dim pulse of light. “It’s flickering…” said Twilight. Sunset nodded, “As we get closer to the power, it’ll glow brighter and faster. Let’s go.”

The team began to wander off following Sunset, unaware that their enemies were peeking around the corner of the building.

“They’re off!” said Keto “Let’s get them and take that stone.” He began to rush, but Bronc held him back sneering “Not yet, idiot! First we’ll let them lead us to the power, and then we take it right from them and use it to destroy them.”

“We can conquer the world for all I care,” Marla sneered, “Just as long as I don’t have to stand next to this ugly guy much longer.” she hinted at Prospector. “Well, you ain’t no pleasant company yourself, missy!” he scoffed at her.

The two glared at one another growling fiercely. “Stop bickering!” snapped Bronc “Let’s go!” and off they went to pursue the rangers.



Meanwhile, Lightning began to slowly awaken from his knockout. “What happened?” he groaned “The last thing I remember… I was in the jungle… and Krysta…

…Krysta!”

He finally awoke fully to realize he was locked in a steel cage with thick strong bars hanging from the ceiling of a big cave. “Krysta…?” he called.

“I’m here!” she called, revealing she was in little birdcage also hanging on the ceiling away from his.

“Aha! So she can talk…” said voice.

“That voice!” Lightning snapped, and he looked down and saw the very man whom he recognized all too well, “Kasko!”

The man snickered, “That’s right; Jo-Jo Montgomery Kasko: Prospector, treasure hunter, oil-driller extraordinaire.”

“…And drug smuggler, thief, embezzler, and international eco-terrorist!” Lightning added “I remember, every time you come up with a scheme I always end up trouncing you.”

Kasko’s features hardened, “Well you won’t be this time. I’ve made sure of it. He held up Lightning’s backpack, “I’ve confiscated all of your belongings and weapons. You and your little feathered friend won’t be lucky this time.”

Lightning clenched his fists, and then realized his morpher was gone too. That’s when he saw it clipped onto his backpack. Kasko had obviously confiscated it, but he didn’t seem to realize what it was.

“What do you want, Kasko?” Lightning demanded to know.

Kasko snickered and didn’t see much harm in explaining, “I want the oil that’s hidden somewhere in the jungle.”

“Oil? There’s no oil in the jungle. There isn’t an oil-well within miles of here.”

“You’re wrong!” shouted Kasko “And I have proof it exists…” he reached into his jacket and pulled out a small vial of black liquid. It sure looked like oil, but Lightning couldn’t believe it was. “Where did you find that?”

“That’s of little concern to you now.” said Kasko “I know there’s oil somewhere in that jungle, and I’m going to find it, even if it means I have to drill right through it!”

Lightning and Krysta gasped. “You can’t just drill through the jungle! You’ll poison the environment, and you’ll endanger the animal life.”

Kasko naturally didn’t care, “That’s hardly, my problem is it? Besides, I need to know where to dig, that’s why I was out there seeking that old hag, Zecora.”

Lightning was surprised to hear he knew of Zecora.

“I’ve heard the stories of that witch. If anyone can find where that oil is, she can. So I searched the jungle all over looking for her, but instead I found you… lucky me.

I’m not letting you get in my way this time, Lightning Dawn!”

Lightning suddenly heard the sound of growling, and Kasko’s two goons brought in two huge cages from outside the cave containing man-eating lions they had captured in the jungle. Kasko planned to release them from their cages while he and his goons escaped. “Even if you manage to break out of that cage, you’ll be just in time for these cats’ dinner.”

Lightning gripped the cage bars tightly.

“Oh, and one last thing…” said Kasko, and he snapped his fingers instructing one of his goons to lower Krysta’s cage down to him, “I’ll be taking your little bird pal. I’m sure I could interest people in a talking bird for a fortune.”

“Why you…!” Krysta thundered as she flapped furiously.

Lightning pounded angrily on the bars of his cage, “You won’t get away with this, Kasko!”

Kasko scoffed, “This time… I think I will.” And he laughed as he left through the cave entrance taking all of Lightning’s belongings and Krysta with him.

“Lightning…!”

“Krysta…!”

One of the two goons then placed a small explosion on the locks of the lions’ cages, while the other goon cut the ropes letting Lightning’s cage fall to the floor.

“Let’s go!” Kasko called to his goons, and the two men dashed outside into the jeep, and Kasko pressed on a remote control detonating the charges on the cage locks, freeing the lions. The foul creatures began to move towards Lightning’s cage and they roared at him.

Kasko and his men had already driven away, feeling they had seen the last of Lightning Dawn and any trouble he could give them. “No!! Lightning! Lightning…!!” Krysta screamed.

Kasko merely rattled her cage, “Squawk all you want, feather-head, it’s just going to make me richer.” he laughed.


Meanwhile, the rangers had been walking a lot, following the stone’s guidance. They were now all walking in the park and the stone was blinking very fast and very brightly. “I think we’re almost there.” said Sunset.

“I hope so! The suspense it killing me!” said Rainbow.

Suddenly, the stone was no longer pulsing but rather glowing very brightly. “This is it!” cried Sunset “This must be the place.”

Everyone looked down by their feet and deduced the hidden power had been buried under the ground. “I guess we start digging.” said Buddy “Um… did anyone bring a shovel?”

A moment of silence followed as the others all felt very silly. “We were so wrapped up in excitement, we forgot to bring any tools.” said Fluttershy.

Rhymey suggested,

“Maybe morphing will do.
We can blast our way through.”

“You leave the blastin’ to me!” shouted a voice. Everyone turned just in time to see lit sticks of dynamite flying straight at them. “Look out!” shouted Celesto, and everyone ducked down hard as the sticks flew past them, exploding as they hit the ground.

That’s when everyone looked and saw the minions and the monster. “Ah, shucks, I missed.” said Prospector. “Well just don’t miss again!” grumbled Marla.

“What are you colds doing here?!” Sunset sneered. “Duh…We came to take the power, and you just led us straight to It.” replied Keto.

“Your choices are simple, Rangers.” hissed Bronc “Either hand over the power, or we’ll plow right through you and take it!”

The rangers all nodded at one another, knowing their answer and Celesto and Twilight ran aside and out of the way.

“It’s Morphin’ Time!” shouted Sunset.

*Morphing Sequence, Ready!”

“STARFLEET MAGIC… POWER ON!!”


Spike poked his head out from Twilight’s backpack hollering, “Go get ‘tm, guys!” only for Twilight to shove him back inside where he’d be safer.

“Alright, let’s rumble!” said Ssunset, and the others agreed with her while the villains snickered and Bronc instructed the monster, “Prospector, leave the rangers to us. You just get that power.”

“You got it.” said Prospector, and he grabbed his pick and his shovel.


“Go!” Sunset shouted, and she and the rangers charged forth, while the minions rushed in as well, giving Prospector his opening to run through to the spot.

“Don’t let him dig it up!” shouted Buddy.

“I’ll get him!” said Rainbow, and she grabbed her Sonic Cannon and was ready to shoot at the monster, but suddenly, Bronc fired his eye-beams at her, blasting her over, “Looks like I got you!” he sneered and he leapt straight at her to brawl with her.

Marla battled with Buddy and Sunset, punching and kicked them hard, and while they blocked her attacks with their arms and legs, she tripped them up with her long hair. “Have a nice trip?” she teased, and then she launched her nails at them. The two rangers barely managed to roll out of the way, but as they looked ahead, they could see Prospector…!

“Well ol’ girls…” he said to his pick and shovel “…Let’s dig in!” and he began to hack and plow at the ground, quite skillfully for an elderly looking monster.

“Rangers, stop him!” Celesto thundered from the bushes.

Rhymey and Fluttershy saw the monster and dashed for him, “Oh, no you don’t!” Keto sneered, and he raised his staff shouting, “Surge Song!” casting his mugic upon himself, his comrades and Prospector, increasing their strengths and speed.

“Nice!” hissed Marla, and she punched Buddy and Sunset hard in their chests making sparks fly.

Bonc Blasted Rainbow hard and Keto took one swing of his staff, like a bat, and sent Rhymey and Fluttershy soaring off and crashing onto the ground.


“Oh…!” Celesto groaned with his hand against his head. “This is so not good!” cried Twilight.


The minions were now stronger than ever, and Prospector was able to dig harder and faster. “We can’t let them get the power!” cried Fluttershy

“Let’s go Able Boost!” suggested Buddy.

“Good idea.” said Sunset “Activate!”

“Able Boost Mode… Engage!”

The minions grunted and stood strong and tall, as they and the rangers lunged at each other. With their enhanced speeds and strengths, their attacks flew more furiously than ever, and the sparks turned into small explosions; the attacks were so forceful!

While they brawled, Prospector continued to dig, and he was now up to his waist in a deep hole, and he suddenly found something, “YE-HAW!! I’ve struck it rich now!” he shouted, and he pulled out was appeared to be another metal box like the one found in Flash’s locker.

“Oh, no!” cried Rhymey.

“He’s found it!” said Fluttershy, and at that moment the rangers’ able boost ran out, leaving them rather exhausted, and the minions gave them all a strong shove sending them all tumbling into a big pile on top of one another.

“Rangers…!” Twilight called.

The effects of Keto’s mugic wore off too, but unlike the rangers, Keto and his comrades were not exhausted. “Too bad, rangers…” Keto mocked, “Looks like our little plan worked out after all. Yeah…!”

Bronc and Marla snickered, and then they and Keto regrouped with their monster. “Open the box, Prospector.” said Bronc. “I’d be obliged to.” replied the monster, and he did as he was told.

As soon as the lid was flicked open, the inside of the box began to glow brightly. “What is that?” wondered Rainbow.

Out from the box came a small glowing ball of light. This was obviously that small bit of power Flash had buried away, and now the villains had it, and they were all snickering wickedly. “All together now…” Marla said, and she and her comrades all lay their hands on the orb of light. All at once, they were all enveloped in the light and began to take on bigger, stronger and fiercer shapes!”

Marla’s muscles were bulging, and her eyes glowed red. Her teeth became sharp fangs while her pink hair turned dark red. Her voice was now raspier and more sinister than ever.

Bronc’s huge arms were glowing with a dark light, and his armor and robe had changed in color, from blue, silver and white, to black, red and purple, and our from his helmet spring a pair of bullhorns.

Keto has actually grown taller, and was now the same height as Marla. His troll-like appearance had changed, he now seemed much more handsome, but wicker as well, and his staff was now covered in spikes with a large mace atop the point.

Prospector had also changed. He now appeared to be more youthful, and his beard was gone. His clothes had all changed as well. He looked more like a dashing young cowhand, rather than a crusty, chubby prospector. “Well I’ll be gall darned.” he hissed “I feel like a fresh gold nugget dipped in polish!”


The villains all snickered and gazed at the rangers. Though they were starting to gain their strength back and stood to their feet, “I think we’re in big trouble.” said Buddy.

“Really…? I didn’t notice!” whimpered Sunset.



As for Lightning, he was still trapped in the cave and with the lions roaring and clawing at his cage! He had no idea how he was going to escape this one!


To Be Continued…!