• ...
103
 11
 1,145

Episode 16: Gift from and old Friend: Part 2

EPISODE SIXTEEN

Those hungry lions continued to roar at Lightning’s cage, trying desperately to get at him. If they kept this up, the chances were they would shake the bars down and maul him to death.

Suddenly, Lightning began to smell something, like fresh meat, filling the cave and leading outside. “What is that?” he wondered. Whatever it was, it seemed to be subduing the lions, making them follow the scent and out of the cave, thinking there was some wild animal nearby that they couldn’t resist over Lightning.

Lightning was most surprised and couldn’t understand it in the least… until he saw, at the entrance of the cave, someone was standing there, wearing a big burlap cloak and hood concealing their entire body and features. Lightning couldn’t recognize who it was, but the person then slid a small sharp knife all the way along the ground and right up to the cage where Lightning grabbed it and realized he could use it to cut through the bars of the cage.

He looked up to thank the person, but found whoever it was had already gone. “Hey! Wait! Hello?!” he called, but no one answered.

Much as Lightning wished he knew who that person was, he decided to free himself quickly before the lions came back, “Hang on, Krysta! I’m coming!”


Meanwhile, the four, super-powered villains stared the rangers down. “Take a look at us now, Power Pests…!” hissed Marla. “This time you won’t escape!” added Bronc. Keto and Prospector snickered.

The rangers, though still a little pooped from their Able-Boost giving out, knew they couldn’t give up. “Let’s get ‘em!” shouted Sunset. The Rangers agreed, and everyone got out their weapons.


“Summon Weapons.”


Sunset: “Star Scepter!”

Buddy: “Plasma Whip!”

Rainbow: “Sonic Cannon!”

Rhymey: “Raid Blade!”

Fluttershy: “Strong Shield!”


The villains only snickered, and rushed forth. Their newly acquired powers gave them great speed, allowing them to rush right past the rangers, knocking them all down as sparks flew all over.

“Call that the quick-draw.” Prospector teased.


Twilight, Spike and Celesto, still watching from shrubs, didn’t like the look of this.


The rangers bolted up onto their feet. “Come on…!” shouted Buddy, and he and the others lunged forth, attacking like crazy, only to get punched, kicked, and slashed at really hard by the villains new super strengths.

Fluttershy raised her shield, but Keto took one swing with his mace staff, hitting the shield and making a huge explosion, and then he kicked her back hard.

Rhymey then jumped in to fight for what happened to his girlfriend, swinging and slashing his sword while Keto countered with his staff, like a skilled warrior, and actually getting the best of Rhymey.

He struck the sword hard and then blasted him with magical blast, without even shouting out a mugic spell.

“Take this!” Rainbow shouted as she fired a huge blast from her cannon at Bronc, but Bronc merely stuck out his huge hands actually intercepted the blast and sent it back at her, hitting her hard.

Buddy gave a shout as he tried to whip at Marla, only for her to effortlessly catch the whip in her hands and yanked him towards her, “Heee-eeey…” she hissed in his face, and then slashed at him and his whip with her super sharp claws.

Finally, Sunset and Prospector battled. She swung her scepter, but Prospector, thanks to his newly restored youth, he swerved and dodged her every attack with ease. “That the best you can do, Lil’ Lady?” he taunted her, and then he swiftly grabbed his pick and slashed hard, hitting Sunset and knocking her back hard!


“Sunset!” cried Rainbow as she and the others rushed over to her side and helped her up, “You okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.” replied Sunset, but when she looked at her Scepter “Whoa! Look!” she cried. It was all dented, chipped and charred. All the rangers’ weapons were in the same state.

“Our weapons!” cried Buddy.

“They’re all busted,
Charred and rusted!”

“This is SO not good!” grumbled Rainbow.

“What do we do now?” cried Fluttershy.

The villains snickered and Prospector called to them as he lit up two sticks of dynamite, “That’s easy, just sit back and be blown sky high!” and he tossed the two sticks.


“Look out!” cried Sunset, but as the sticks flew in closer, Spike leapt out of Twilight’s backpack. He jumped up high and snatched the two sticks in his teeth like fetching.

“Whoa did you see that?” cried Rainbow.

“Hey, ya little mutt…!” snarled Keto, and before anything else, Spike hurled the sticks back towards the villains, and the exploded right at them, making a cloud of dust.

“Good boy, Spike!” said Twilight.

“Rangers… come! Hurry…!” Celesto shouted. Even he could see that the battle could not be won, and it was best they all retreated.

“Let’s go, guys!” snapped Sunset, and she and the rangers began to retreat.

“Oh, no you don’t!” shouted Bronc, and he began to fire multiple super laser blasts from his helmet in random spots through the smoke, and Keto helped by using his staff to fire more shots.

“Hold it! Wait!!” snapped Marla. Her comrades stopped firing, and when the smoke finally cleared, the rangers were nowhere to be seen. “Dag-Nabit!” grumbled Prospector “Them varmints made a clean getaway!”

As outraged as the villains were, they actually didn’t mind all that much. “We’ve already toasted their weapons.” said Keto “And we didn’t even break much of a sweat doing it.”

“Precisely.” said Bronc “With these new powers we can quite literally flatten this whole city, and the rangers won’t have anything strong enough to battle us this time!”

Marla snickered, “It sure feels nice to be on the winning side for once!” The men all looked at her with strict expressions. “What?”


The rangers made it safely back to base, but their weapons were complete wrecks. “My poor cannon.” cried Rainbow, “When I get my hands on those creeps, I’ll break them limb-from-limb.”

“Unless they broke us first.” said Buddy.


Professor Brain examined the weapons and assured everyone, “Your weapons will be online again very soon. I must set to work now.” And he went off with his team of scientists to fix the busted weapons, but the rangers didn’t feel too optimistic.

“Even if our weapons get fixed, they’ll just get busted again.” said Sunset “Now that those creeps have Flash’s power there’s no telling what they’re capable of.”

Rhymey stomped his foot in frustration,

“If we’d had only gotten the power sooner,
Things could’ve been great,
But we didn’t…
… We were too late.”

“Is there anything we can do at all?” asked Fluttershy.

Celesto thought it all over, “Much as we can repair the weapons, I really don’t know it’ll do any good. As you said, we don’t know what the aliens are really capable of with that power now.”

A long moment of silence fell. They all needed a plan, or even a miracle!



Meanwhile, Kasko and his goons had retreated to their hideout, a deep underground warehouse, away from the towns and villages where he couldn’t be seen. Here, he put Krysta, in her cage, down on a table where he had a lot of blue-prints of the jungle spread out, and that he was going to setup a huge drilling operation.

“You’ll never get away with this, Kasko!” said Krysta. Kasko only chuckled, “And just who’s going to stop me this time? Certainly not Lightning. He’s lion chow by now.”

Krysta felt very worried about Lightning, and she couldn’t bear to think of the worst!

“Oh, don’t worry...” teased Kasko, “I’m sure those lions will keel over anyway, once I’m through with my plans.” and he showed her his plans to bulldoze down the jungle in order to setup drilling.

“You can’t do that!” snapped Krysta “The animals won’t have a place to live, and besides, you’d just be wasting your time. There is NO oil in the jungle!”

“Of course there is!” snarled Kasko, and he held out the vial of black liquid. “There must be a whole well out there, enough to make me richer than all those tycoons out there.” He paused and looked down at Krysta “And I’ll make much more when I present a talking bird to the carnivals. I’ll be richer than richer!!”

“Yeah…? And What if refuse?” asked Krysta. Her answer was Kasko pointing a gun at her threatening to shoot. “Oh, sure; like you’ll really shoot me. Then you won’t have a talking bird anymore.”

Kasko growled and lowered his gun, “I’ll worry about you later. Right now I have a project to deal with and oil to claim!”

That’s when one of his goons came in, “Sorry to bug ya, boss, but the team’s all set up.”

Kasko grinned at that news, and he picked up the cage “Come on then. It’s time you saw me actually get away with a plan.”

He then left for the exit, leaving his blue-prints behind on the table, feeling than no one would possibly find them, and he had extra copies.

Instead of taking their jeeps, Kasko actually had a chopper which would get him to where he needed to be much quicker. “Let’s go!” he thundered, and off they went, unaware that they had been seen by that stranger in the ragged robe and hood.

This person knew what they had to do and set off back towards the jungle.


As for Lightning, it took him a bit to cut himself through that cage, and then it took him even longer to make it through the jungle, following the tire-tracks Kasko and his goons left on the grounds. Finally, he reached his own jeep, in a clear, just outside of the jungle, where he got a long drink of water from one of his canteens. “Good thing, Kasko didn’t find my jeep.” He said to himself, but he knew he had no time to rest, Kasko still had Krysta and his morpher, plus he couldn’t let him foolishly dig up the jungle for some non-existent oil.

He continued to follow the tire tracks as best he could, and one the way, he thought back to the hooded stranger that saved him from the lions and helped him escape from the cage. He still had the knife that the stranger gave him. “Who was that?” he kept wondering.

He was so lost in his wondering, even for that brief moment, his jeep hit a small blew out his tire, and his jeep began to spin out of control. “Whoa!!” he cried as he fought for control, but he ultimately had to jump for it, getting out just in time as his jeep fully tipped over. It didn’t explode, but it was now useless to him.

“Ah, man!” Lightning groaned, but fortunately for him, he could see another jeep parked twenty yards away from his own by a small rocky building. Figuring it was Kasko’s hideout, he crept over quietly in case of anyone guarding the place lurking nearby.

When he discovered the place was completely unguarded, not to mention the door wasn’t even locked, “Typical, Kasko; he never thinks anyone will break into his hideouts.” Lightning said to himself, and he let himself in.

Unfortunately, once inside, he couldn’t find Krysta, or anyone for that matter. “I must’ve just missed them!” he grumbled. Then he noticed the blue-prints left behind and was onto Kasko’s plot.

“It’s ingenious… set up operations on the fa-side of the jungle where no one can see them, and the authorities won’t be able to get anyone out there, and they dare not fire and gasses for fear of hurting the plants and animals.”

It still burned him up that Kasko was going to needlessly wreck up the jungle and endanger so much animal life for some non-existent oil.

Of course, he had no time to alert the authorities himself. He had to get to Kasko and figure a way to stop him himself. At least there was a jeep outside he could use, and he didn’t even have to use a key, but just crank it up at the front, and off he went.

“I hope I can figure out how to stop them!”


Meanwhile, Twilight tried inputting so many computer simulations of many ways to stand up to the villains and their super powers, but not one of them would succeed; every single scenario was a guaranteed failure and would only result in the rangers being destroyed. “Ugh!” she groaned and began to bang her head against the keyboard, “Come on! There’s… got… to… be… an… answer!”

Spike stopped her banging, “Well breaking your skull isn’t going to help much.”

Twilight sighed and patted her dog’s head, but this didn’t help anyone come up with any ideas.

“Man!” groaned Buddy “This should be easy. I mean, it’s Flash Sentry’s powers, and Rhymey, you and I faced them before.”

This made Rhymey suddenly realize,

“Yes, we did face it before,
But now I’m thinking of something more.”

He and Buddy both thought back and remembered that Flash was a Crystallite, and his alien form-- Crystal Armor, strong sword-- didn’t look a thing like how the villains looked now.

“Hey, they’re right.” said Fluttershy “I remember Flash didn’t look a thing like those creeps did. Of course I was almost too scared to look at Flash in his alien form.”

Rainbow remembered as well, but now she felt her head spinning, “What are we trying to think here?” she asked “We saw them… they absorbed the power. They have it now.”

Sunset thought really deeply and even remembered a lesson she once learned as Celestia’s student back in Pony World, “Remember one rule of Magic and Friendship, Sunset: Things are not always what they seem.”

“Things are not always what they seem.”


She was so lost in her thoughts; Rainbow was calling to her and waving her hand in front of her face. “Sunset…? Yo’…! Earth to Sunset…! Are you okay?”

Sunset bolted up out of her chair, making everyone jump. “I want to go back to the digging spot.” she said “I think there may be something we overlooked.”

Before anyone could reply, the alarm sounded. “Whoa! Mega trouble!” cried Twilight, and everyone could see for themselves; the villains were causing much havoc in the city-- breaking up the streets, blowing up buildings, and all kinds of wickedness!

“But, our weapons aren’t ready yet!” cried Fluttershy.

“Oh, yes they are…” said Professor Brain as he came from the lab, pushing a small trolley cart with all the weapons lying on top, fully repaired.

The team was astonished that he got them fixed in such a short time, “Well, I always had anticipated they would need fixing, and I did always work best under pressure. I’ve even given them… eh… er… a special formulated coating so they shan’t burn too easily, but I must say, we haven’t had a chance to test it.”

“Never mind, we’ll have to do what we can.” said Rainbow.

“Come on, let’s go!” cried Buddy, and the rangers all dashed for the jump-tubes, but Sunset stopped at the last few feet and asked Celesto, “Please sir… just check out that spot again. I’m sure there may be something there.” then she was off.

Celesto thought it over, and while it was crazy to leave at a time like this, “Twilight, takeover. Spike, you come with me.”

“Huh?” asked Spike.

“But sir…” said Twilight. “Just come!” Celesto said to Spike, and he told Twilight, “Monitor the fight and keep me updated.”

Spike complied with his wishes, and the two left Twilight alone at the monitors.


KABOOM!! Prospector blew up a brick wall that lead straight into a bank in town, exposing all the gold inside. “YE-HAW!” he shouted “My first mother-load! Now I feel even younger!”

Several citizens gawked at what he had just done. “WHAT ARE YOU LOOKIN’ AT?!” he thundered at the people, and the trio of minions began to terrorizing them all and the city more, forcing the people to run away.

“Who’s next…?” shouted Marla.

“You’re next!” snapped Sunset, and she and the rangers all leapt onto the scene.

“You again!” snarled Bronc “Don’t you rangers get it?! We’ve won this time!”

“You guys will never win!” said Rainbow. “Not as long as we’re still around!” added Buddy.

“Well, we can fix that!” shouted Keto, and he fired a blast from his staff, forcing the rangers to dodge. “Get’ em!” shouted Sunset, and the rangers all lunged into battle!

“Let’s ride!” hissed Prospector, and he got out his shovel and pick and charged with his comrades.

The rangers fought valiantly as best they could. Their weapons proved to be much stronger, like Professor Brain promised, but even still, the villains fought more fiercely than ever, still having the upper-hand.

“We were just toying with you before.” hissed Marla “Now have a taste of our full-powers!” and with that, she slashed hard at Fluttershy, knocking her shield away again. She didn’t break it, but now Fluttershy was left exposed, and got slashed at hard by Marla’s claws.

“Hey…!
You’ll pay!” shouted Rhymey and he lunged at Marla, swinging his sword like crazy! Marla parried his attacks with her claws swiftly, but Rhymey actually managed to hit her hard in the face, making sparks fly!

“A’RGH!!” Marla groaned. She couldn’t believe he actually hit her, but she was completely outraged, and kicked him hard in his chest, and knocking him back hard.

Buddy lashed his whip catching hold of Keto’s staff. “Got’cha!” he thundered. “Who has whom?” Keto sneered, and his staff began to glow as he sent a wave of magical energy from the staff, along the whip and right up to Buddy, shocking him hard and making small explosions go all over, and poor Buddy was knocked off his feet and sent skidding along the ground.

“This isn’t working!” cried Rainbow, and she fired her cannon straight at Bronc. The explosions did hit him and he did growl as he brushed the smoke off him, “Now I’m mad!” and he lunged straight at her, tackling her to the ground and knocking her cannon away.

“Hang on, Rainbow!” cried Sunset and she ran her way over and jumped up high for a high-jump kick. “Oh, no ya don’t!” shouted Pospector, and he threw two sticks of dynamite at her, blowing her down.

Sunset landed with a crash and then bolted upright as the monster came at her with his shovel and pick. Sunset defended herself by parrying his moves with her scepter, and blasted his shovel out of his hand away, but he struck her hard with his pick, making sparks fly and sending Sunset rolling on the ground.

“Sunset!” cried Rainbow, Bronc only sat on top of her, pinning her to the ground, “Never mind that, and worry about me!” he hissed at her and he began to ram numerous punched into her.

“Hang on!” Fluttershy called as she and the boys rushed over and all kicked at once, actually shoving Bronc off of Rainbow. “Thanks guys!”

The trio were glad she was safe, but they each felt like they had kicked a solid rock wall, and their feet hurt a little.

“What’s wrong, Rangers? Can’t take the power!” taunted Bronc.

“Well, let us put you out of your misery!” shouted Keto, and he and the others all stood together and unleashed beams of energy through their eyes, making a big explosion and sent the rangers soaring all about and crashing down hard.


Twilight couldn’t bear to watch this on the monitors too much longer. “Rangers, are you alright?” she called into the radio.

“Yeah, in a matter of speaking.” replied Sunset.

“These guys just won’t go down.” said Buddy, “Our weapons are holding out, but I don’t think we can handle them like this much longer.”

“Try to stay strong.” said Twilight. “Use your Able Boost if you have to, but not all at once; just one of you at a time.” She just hoped she had suggested the right thing, wondering what happened to Celesto and Spike.



Celesto and Spike had revisited the digging scene. The hole was still there and so was the empty box the villains got their powers from. “Okay, remind me… what are we doing here again?” Spike asked. “We’re going to test Sunset’s theory.” replied Celesto “Maybe we did miss something. So you go in the hole and sniff around a bit for anything unusual.”

Spike sighed, “The things I do for the team.” but he complied and slid his way down into the hole where the box had once been buried.

No sooner had he gone in did Twilight contact Celesto via his cane-radio. “What is it, Twilight?”

“The rangers are in trouble. They can’t hold against the villains much longer.”

“Keep monitoring the fight, and if things get serious tell the rangers to retreat. Out…” Now he was deeply concerned, and was actually hoping Sunset’s theory was correct and that they would find something useful.


Meanwhile, Kasko had a full load of bulldozers, shredders, and even a few wrecking-cranes all setup and heading towards the jungle, and even a couple of drilling vehicles for digging once they had broken through.

Kasko stood, wearing a big golden hardhat and held copies of the plans while snickering. “This is sweet!” he snickered “This Jungle’s about to go bye-bye, the oil will be mine, and no authorities in sight or even that pest, Lightning.”

His goons chuckled, “Hey, Boss. Looks like one of your plans is finally gonna work out after all.”

Kasko took offense to that, “I accept your resignation!”

“But Boss…!!” cried the goon, and the other goon laughed at him.

Krysta was still stuck in her cage in the chopper, and her cage sat right next to Lightning’s backpack which had much of his tools and his morpher clipped on the front, and though she couldn’t see through the door or windows what was about to happen, as she was too low and on the floor, she didn’t like the sounds of those roaring machines getting all prepped up to take out the jungle.

Kasko and his team were so busy preparing, and due to the loud sounds of the machines, they couldn’t hear or see Lightning pulling up and hiding behind a rock-formation.

Using a pair of binoculars he found inside the jeep, he could see the machines, Kasko, and his chopper. He could see inside, “Krysta!” he cried softly, “And my backpack!” he could see his morpher too. “Ah!” he groaned, realizing he could never get close enough with Kasko so close, and all the other workers. Plus, Kasko and his goons were still armed with heavy shotguns and jungle weapons. “If only I could morph, then I’d been bulletproof and I could take them all out.

If only I had some kind of distraction.”

Alas, he had no weapons, no tools; except for the knife that stranger had given him. Other than it, he had nothing to distract the men.


Little he or the men know, that the very stranger who gave Lightning the knife, was lurking at the forest edge, and was armed with large coconut husks with tissue cloth sticking through them.

The stranger then rubbed two branches together to make them hot and burn, which they then used to light the clothed fuses!


“Okay, let’s do it!!” Kasko shouted, signaling for the demolition to begin.

To Be Continued...!