• ...
103
 11
 1,145

Episode 8: Animals on Show

EPISODE EIGHT

Even between school hours and cramming for exams, the rangers still had their jobs, and Fluttershy was at good work at the Animal Shelter. She fed the animals, tended to them, and as a Vet in training, in was part of her work-studies to give them checkups, supervised by Dr. Fauna of course.

Spike and Krysta were two of her patients that day as well, but they had to be careful not to speak for fear of breaking cover, as well as gaining unwanted attention from unscrupulous people.

“There we go…” Fluttershy said as she finished fluffing Krysta’s feathers with a special comb. “Your feathers are all nice and healthy looking.” She looked up at Lightning, “You must take really good care of her.”

Lightning teased along to keep up the act, “I don’t know. Sometimes I think she takes care of me.”

He winked at his little bird, and she actually winked back at him.

Dr. Fauna was most pleased with Fluttershy’s performance, and checked her list. “Now, all that’s left is to give the dog his shot.” she said aloud. Spike heard the word “shot” and like most dogs, he began to shudder in fear in Twilight’s arms.

“Come on, Spike. You know you need this.” Twilight said, but that didn’t make Spike feel any better, especially when he saw Fauna preparing the needle.

She handed it to Fluttershy, “I think you should do this.”

Fluttershy, though a little scared of the needle herself, took it and approached Spike. “Oh, I know how you feel…” she said soothingly to the frightened dog, and she stroked him softly, “Everyone gets scared sometimes…”

Then she began to sing a very soothing song, which actually helped all animals she helped to treat.

Everyone gets scared here and there,
We’ve all felt like that, we’ve all had our share
Whether getting your shot, or from some bad dreams
We all get scared time-to-time as it seems
Everyone gets scared here and there,

The little dog looked up at her, actually sensed the sincerity n her soothing voice.

Everyone knows how to feel fear,
When you get that bad feeling that danger is near
It’s okay to feel like you just want to hide,
It’s just one big feeling we all feel inside.
Everyone knows how to feel fear,

Spike began to feel a little less afraid, and smiled softly, and Twilight and Lightning joined with the song.

[Twilight]

If you want to know courage, the fear must come first.

[Lightning]

And soon you’ll find you can stand up to the worst.

[All Three]

Everyone gets scared here and there.

As the song ended, Fluttershy gave Spike a little peck on his head. Then she stood back holding up the empty syringe which she injected into him during the song. Spike never felt a thing, and he licked Fluttershy’s hand thankfully.

Dr. Fauna was most pleased with the results, so were Lightning and Twilight, but Fluttershy felt the most pleased herself.


(Que Intro)


At prison tower, Keto came before Nacluv with an idea, “I’d like you all to meet my new partner, Tamer!”

This monster represented a ring-master with the face of a lion. He wore a top hat and an overcoat. His left arm was that of a chair that had sharp knife blades for its legs, which could also be shot out like bullets, and in his right hand he held a magical whip.

He even spoke like a ring master.

“Ladies and gentle-monsters, prepare for the performance of a lifetime.” He cracked his whip at two of the Lingos, and suddenly, they both transformed into animal; one Lingo was a dog, chasing its tail, and the other acted like a cat, licking its paw.

Tamer tipped his hat to everyone, and they applauded to his power, and began to catch onto the idea as Keto explained, “Thanks to him, we’ll turn the rangers into harmless animals so they won’t be able to get in the way this time. What do you think?”

Nacluv snickered, “I think I like it. Those rangers are in for the performance of their lives.”


Sunset was getting off her volunteer shift at the hospital, and she found Rainbow just pulling up along the sidewalk on her motorbike. “Pizza Delivery, at your service.” she joked. “I didn’t order pizza.” said Sunset, “Well, good, I’m all out anyway.” Rainbow teased.

“Well then, let’s get the others and get some.” said Sunset. “Ah, yeah, I’m up for that.” agreed Rainbow.


They were about to head off, when suddenly a dog came running up to them. “Whoa! Someone’s excited today.” said Rainbow.

The dog jumped up at Sunset, very hyperactively, almost panicking. “Whoa! Easy boy! What’s with you?”

The girls noticed that the dog didn’t have a collar, yet he was too clean to be a stray.

Suddenly a cat came running up the road as she was chased by another unlicensed dog.

A swarm of birds came flying very low to the ground, almost as if they were afraid of flying too high.

Suddenly, Rainbow felt something crawling along her shoes-- a whole load of stray hamsters. “Okay, did something go wrong at the pet shops?”


“Not really, little rangers…” hissed a menacing voice. The girls turned and saw Tamer, along with a swarm of Lingos dressed in circus attire. “Now, for your amusement, I shall now make two rangers disappear.”

“Not if we can help it!” snapped Sunset. She and Rainbow charged to attack, but Tamer gave one crack of his whip. The girls screamed, and in a flash, they had transformed! Sunset was an orange spaniel, with red streaks on her furry ears, and Rainbow turned into a rainbow-colored condor.

The two little animals couldn’t believe it and acted frightened, but they had lost their ability to communicate normally.

The monster laughed, “That’s two down. Take them…!”

The Lingos rushed forth with nets and small cages to catch the two animals.

Sunset and Rainbow were unable to fight due to their new shapes, but Sunset managed to run about and avoid being caught, while Rainbow flapped her wings hard, flying upward and out of harm’s way as well. “Get them! Don’t let those critters get away!” thundered Tamer.

He cracked his whip, forcing the Lingos to try harder. “Maybe a little knife throw will help.” And he launched his knifes from his chair-launcher. Sunset and Rainbow managed to evade the knives and outwitted the Lingos, by making them crash into one another as they dove in to catch them.

Then they headed down the street and were gone.

“G’argh! We’ll deal with them later. There’s not much they can do the way they are anyway. I’ll turn this entire town into my personal circus zoo!”

He laughed wickedly as all the many animals that used to be people.


Meanwhile, Fluttershy was still busy at work at the shelter tending to all the animals. Dr. Fauna took over all the patients and checkups for the rest of the day, so Fluttershy was doing basic chores.

-Cleaning out the cages: “Oh, my!” she groaned with a clothes peg clipped on her nose, and cleaned out all the litter and dirty newspapers.

-Giving the animals baths: “There you go, all nice and clean.”

-Feeding time: “Aw, you must’ve been very hungry.”

Suddenly, Dr. Fauna came into the backroom, and she looked a little frazzled, “Um, Fluttershy, I could use a little help up front.”

“What’s wrong?” Fluttershy asked, but when she got up to the front desk, she gasped softly! There was a long, long, LONG line of people carrying so many stray animals that had no collars and no apparent owners.

“These two dogs just rushed right up to me and acted all hyper.”

“A flock of birds just landed right near me.”

“All these hamsters were walking all over my mechanic joint.”

It was the same story for everyone: More stray animals just kept popping up all over the place, and all them were acting hyper and fussy. The people had no idea what to do with them, so they brought them to the shelter, but the lineup was already going well out the door and down the street. The shelter wouldn’t possibly be able to take in all those animals.

Suddenly, two more animals came rushing into the shelter, unescorted-- Sunset and Rainbow, they dashed right in behind the counter and Sunset jumped into Fluttershy’s arms, knocking her down.

“Oh, my…!” she groaned “You’re a really excited dog.”

She then noted how much the dog looked exactly like Sunset, and the Condor that landed on the floor next to her had colors just like Rainbow Dash.

“Wait a minute…!” she got an idea to prove it, since the animals couldn’t talk. “If you’re Sunset, bark once, and if you’re Rainbow Dash, flap your wings twice.”

Sunset barked as told, and Rainbow flapped her wings twice. Fluttershy gasped, “Oh, my goodness! What happened to you two?”

“Um… Fluttershy…?” asked Dr. Fauna. She couldn’t understand what was happening, but suddenly, the people screamed and panicked, for there stood Tamer and his Lingos. Fluttershy screamed too at the sight of the monster.

“It’s show time…!” thundered Tamer, and he cracked his whip about turning more people, including Dr. Fauna into animals. Now the shelter was becoming over-crowded with animals all over the place.

Fluttershy had never seen so many before, and suddenly, she turned round, and the monster was there looming over here hissing, “Hello, my dear ranger…”

Fluttershy whimpered nervously, but in a weird twist, her features hardened, and she kicked the monster hard, sending him crashing into the Lingos.

Fluttershy then shouted to her two friends, “Quick, out the backway!” and she Rainbow and Sunset dashed out into the backyard.

“After them, you faceless morons!” shouted Tamer.


Outside, the backyard was surrounded by a huge metal fence, five feet tall. Rainbow just flew right over it, and Fluttershy, grabbed Sunset in her arms and leapt up high over the fence, like the skilled ranger she was.

Sunset jumped out of her arms, and she and Rainbow dashed off, but Fluttershy couldn’t run as fast as they could, and Tamer’s wipe managed to strike her from that far off, turning her into a yellow cat.

Fluttershy flipped out, and gave a loud cat-screech!


Tamer came into the yard, “That’s it, pretty kitty cat, scream!” He and the Lingos rushed forth to try and chase her and the others, but they all ran off, much to the monster’s frustration. “Run while you can, little beasts. This show’s just getting started.”


The girls managed to make it a few blocks away from that monster and his comrades, and, able to speak to each other, they assess their situation.

“We’ve got to stop that monster, before he turns the whole island into animals.” said Sunset.

“Well how are we supposed to do that?” asked Rainbow “There’s no way we can fight him like this, and we can’t even communicate with the others.”

This gave Fluttershy an idea, “Maybe we can. After all… who do we know can communicate with animals and humans?”

“Spike and Krysta…!” cried Sunset, “Lightning and Twilight usually take them to the park on a day like this.”

“Well, let’s shake our tails already!” said Rainbow, “…Did I just say “Tails?”

Nevertheless, the girls dashed off.


The streets were flooded with so many animals and not as many people. It almost would be as if the people were pets to the animals.


The girls found it hard to navigate through the streets due to all the other animals, keeping in mind that some of the animals WERE actually real animals, and due to their instincts, that began to cause trouble.

Alley cats spotted Rainbow and tried to jump at her, forcing her to fly up higher, while dogs barked at Fluttershy and would have given chase had Sunset not barked back at them, scaring them off.

Then a little mouse trotted by and took one look at Fluttershy, and hilariously… the both of them screamed and ran from each other.

“Oh, look at me: acting like a scardy-cat.”

Rainbow almost chuckled at that, but the trio still carried on their way.


While in the park, Lightning and Twilight were there as promised. Twilight let Spike roam about, and Krysta was already flying amongst the trees and hunting for seeds and worms.

Buddy was also there planting some flower beds, as well as checking the trees, to see if they weren’t getting sick or hurt. Rhymey was there too, enjoying the sunny afternoon and using this as inspiration to make more poems for his class at the library.

Not one of them was aware of what was happening…Yet!

Rhymey just wrote his poem…

“In the park in the light,
In the warm sunlight,
Feel the trees in the breeze,
And things are all right.”


Buddy finished planting his flowers, “There you go, little ones; plenty of sunlight and fresh air for you.”

Suddenly, he began to notice how quiet the park seemed; not many people were around on a beautiful day as this, but he did hear the faint sound of many barking dogs and other animal noises in the distance, and they sounded like they were getting closer.


Spike was digging the ground for bones, when his ears perked up. Being a dog and having a sixth sense for such thing, he could already tell what was coming! “Whoa! Animal Stampede!” he shouted.

The rangers and Twilight gasped, and Krysta fluttered up higher to see out further, “He’s right!” she shouted, “RUN FOR IT!!”

The animals busted into the park forcing the rangers to all take refuge! Lightning and Twilight stood on a bench. Buddy and Rhymey leapt up into a tree where Krysta was, and Spike dove into the park fountain.

Animals everywhere! They ran through the park stirring up a lot of dust, making the gang cough a little.

“What was that all about?” asked Lightning. “I’ve heard of rough animal behaviour, but this is ridiculous.” added Twilight.

Spike jumped out of the fountain and shook himself dry. “I hate getting wet!” he groaned. Just then, he noticed another dog-- Sunset-- standing next to him. “Hey, you look just like Sunset Shimmer.” he said, but the other dog gave a few barks and growls, making him gasp, “Say What…?”

“Spike…!” Twilight called as she and Lightning dashed up to him. “What’s the matter?”

“You guys aren’t going to believe this, but this dog says she’s Sunset!”

As expected, Lightning and Twilight gawked at one another, and before they could protest. The other boys joined them. Rhymey held Krysta, and Buddy held a condor that had a strong resemblance to Rainbow Dash.

“Wait… Don’t me…” Lightning said “That’s supposed to be Rainbow?”

Krysta nodded “It is her. She told me so.”

Then there was the cat, and the animals didn’t have to translate. Rhymey recognized the color, and her eyes anywhere.

“Oh, my, my…
…Fluttershy!”

His girlfriend responded by cuddling up to him and purring, further confirming this.

“I don’t like this at all.” said Buddy.

“Me either.” agreed Twilight, “Let’s get them to the base.”


Once there, the animals were put under a scanner, and the DNA results confirmed they were indeed the other three girls.

“The resemblance is so uncanny.” said Celesto “All-in-all, they seem to be unharmed, and they still seem to retain their human intelligence.”

Rhymey couldn’t help but stroke Fluttershy’s soft cat fur.

“So adorable,
Even as an animal.” he cooed.

Fluttershy blushed and licked his finger soflty.

Lightning then questioned Spike and Krysta, “You say they told you a monster did this?”

“A monster with a magical whip.” replied Spike. “He’s turning all the people in the city to animals.” added Krysta.

“Sounds like this monster needs to be put down before we can try to help them.” said Buddy.

Suddenly, the alarm went off, and Twilight dashed into the lab, “What’s wrong?” Celesto asked.

“Signs of alien activity detected in the town-square.”

The boys stiffened. “It’s got to be that monster.” said Lightning, and he and the others agreed to after him.

“Be careful, boys. Don’t let him turn you into animals as well.” said Celesto.

The boys agreed, and left for the jump-tubes.


Just then, Celesto smelled something strange, “What is that?”

Twilight gawked at Sunset, and the big wet yellow spot on the table under her hind-legs.

“Sunset…!” Celesto sneered. He scolded her almost the same way a master did to a pet, and even the others were grossed out. Sunset felt very embarrassed.


Meanwhile, Tamer had already turned so many more people into animals with the power of his magical whip. “And the crowd goes wild!” he joked “And the best of it is, not a power ranger insight.”


“How about three then…!” Lightning called as he and the others, already morphed, appeared on the scene.

“Show’s over, you…!
And we’ll save the people too!” shouted Rhymey.

Tamer laughed, “Pretty good words there. We could use a rhyming creature in my show.”

Rhymey growled.

“This guy is already starting to annoy Me.” said Buddy, “Let’s get him!”

The others agreed.

“Attack them!” Tamer shouted to the Lingos.

The Lingos rushed forth, and the three rangers fought back valiantly, flipping them over, kicking them into one another. Lightning even gave them a few good blasts with his comet fire-power.

“So much for them!” he said.

“Now for our next act…!” Tamer shouted, and he launched his knives at Lightning, hitting him and making sparks fly.

“Lightning!” cried Buddy as he and Rhymey dashed towards him.

“I say,
Are you okay?”

“I’m fine.” replied Lightning, “Let’s get him!”

The three boys charged forth. “So, you want an encore, eh?” snarled Tamer, and he rushed in as well, swinging his whip and thrusting his blade-chair-arm to block their every attack, and strike them hard, sending them all flying back.

“Show’s over, Rangers… time for you to join the troupe…!” he held his whip ready, ready to turn them all into animals.

“Oh, no you don’t!” shouted Buddy, “Plasma Whip!” gripping his whip tightly, he flung it out, ensnaring the monster whip in his own. “Hey! Let go!” shouted Tamer. “Sorry, you didn’t say please!” Buddy teased.

“My turn,
Now you’ll burn!” said Rhymey, “Raid Blade!” his sword appeared.

“Sorry to cut this short!” sneered Tamer, and he launched more knives at them, but Lightning skillfully leapt in and blasted the knives to bits. “Guess you need more practice.”

The monster growled, and suddenly… Rhymey leapt high over, and gave huge slash with his sword, cutting the monster whip, to Tamer’s horror! “…No…!! My magical whip…!”

With the destruction of his whip, his evil spell was broken, and all animals turned back into humans instantly.


Even the girls changed back to their normal selves at the base.

“They did it! The boys did it!” cried Sunset.



“No!! My greatest show is a bust!” cried Tamer.

“Don’t feel bad, we still want you.” said Lightning. He and the others stood together and charged up their weapons for their finisher.

“Comet Gauntlets… Engage!”

“Plasma Whip… Engage!”

“Raid Blade… Engage!”

“Go!” Lightning shouted, and he and the boys fired their finishers straight at the monster, but suddenly, music could be heard, and the monster was shielded by a powerful barrier. Their attacks couldn’t hit him.

Quick as it came, the barrier ceased, and Keto snickered. “Did you like my little trick Rangers.”

The boys grunted angrily.

“Thanks to my “Prelude of Protection” your pitiful attacks were reduced to nothing for that one instance. Now I’d like to perform my next act that I’m sure you all know well…

…FORTISSIMO!”

With the power of his mugic, Tamer grew huge. He still didn’t have his whip back, but he laughed manically, “Now we’ve hit the BIG TOPS!”

Before anyone could say or do anything else, the monster got blasted all around. “What?!” snapped Tamer, and the five Star Jets flew overhead.

The girls were already morphed and in their cockpits. “Hope we didn’t miss the show.” Sunset called.

“Great timing girls…!” Lightning called back to them.

Keto saw this was going to get ugly. “They’re all yours, Tamer! Destroy them all!” then he vanished.

Tamer roared ferociously, while Buddy and Rhymey beamed into their jets.

“Time for me to hit the big time.” said Lightning “GIGANTIFY…!!”


“Giant-Mode… Engage!”


Then he grew large and tall.

“Ultra-Star Megazord!” Sunset shouted.


“Zords Combine!”

“Ultra-Star Megazord, Ready!”

Tamer laughed at his opponents, “Now, for your viewing pleasure, I shall make these rangers and their zord disappear… by cutting them to pieces!” and he launched his knives at them. Lightning rolled one way, and the Megazord zipped the other way, missing the shots.

“Not to worry, I’ve got plenty!” he fired more knives.

“Yeah, well we’ve got plenty too… plenty of guts!” shouted Lightning, and he leapt in and actually grabbed the knives in his hands.

“Hey, you can’t do that!” shouted Tamer.

“Sure I can, and I also do this…!” and he threw the knives back at him, making sparks fly, blinding the monster.

“Now, it’s our turn!” said Sunset “Charging energy blast!”

“Energy Charge, Ready!”

Once the charge was ready, the rangers shouted, “STAR BLAST WAVE… FIRE!!” the wave was unleashed, enveloping the monster. “SHOW’S OVER FOLKS!!” he screamed, and he exploded, was imprisoned and beamed into the cockpit.

“That was for the animals, and humans!” Fluttershy called.

Sunset nodded, and made the call. “Monster Captured! Mission Complete!”


Back at the tower, Keto was strapped to the wall by Lingos, and Nacluv held a regular whip in his hand, and patted it threateningly at Keto for failing him again. “No, boss… please!” he whimpered.

Nacluv just sniggered at his fear, “And now, Ladies and Gentle-monsters, presenting the biggest failure about to be reprimanded. Will he ever learn his lesson and BEAT THE RANGERS WHEN HE’S TOLD…?!!

…Let’s find out!”

With that, he began to mercilessly whip at Keto, making sparks fly, while Marla and Bronc just ate popcorn and enjoyed the show. “Now this is what I call entertaining.” said Marla. Bronc merely nodded as he reached for more popcorn.


Later on, the rangers and Twilight all met up in the park, which was now bustling with people playing with their pets.

Fluttershy sat with Rhymey, and he couldn’t help but stroke her arm. It wasn’t like it felt when she was a cat, but her skin was just as soft and lovely as ever.

“You were quite cute when you were a cat,
But I’m glad you’re you again, and that’s that.”

Fluttershy blushed softly, and then cuddled against him and purred like a cat, just for kicks.

“Go long, Spike!” Sunset said as she threw a Frisbee, and Spike caught it in his teeth. “Too bad I didn’t try that when I was a dog.” Sunset joked.

Twilight giggled, “Better than using the lab bench as a bathroom.”

Sunset felt embarrassed.


Rainbow then witnessed Krysta digging up a worm from the ground and she ate it. “Eww…!” Rainbow gagged “If that’s how I had to eat, I’m glad I’m not a bird anymore, but I will miss the flying.”

“…To each their own.” Krysta said with her beak full.

The three ranger girls still felt a little more understanding of animals now form their experiences, even if it was short.

“Animals sure can have it tough, especially when they can’t always communicate clearly with others.” said Sunset.

“Well, I still think they’re all special. Every one of them…”

Buddy couldn’t help but prank her at that one, and placed a little rubber mouse on the bench next to her. “Hey, Fluttershy…” he said and pointed next to her. She saw the mouse, and leapt up off and behind the bench.

The others couldn’t help but laugh a little, and Buddy revealed the prank.

“Still think all animals are special?” Lightning teased.

“Well, yes… I think…” Fluttershy squeaked “As long as they don’t prank me like that.” and she gave Buddy a straight look, and Buddy shrugged softly but playfully.