• Published 16th Jul 2012
  • 4,441 Views, 145 Comments

Surrender - Saekwaka

  • ...
9
 145
 4,441

Ch. 2: Rarity

I saw her that day. She was practically shining - like a glittering star presented to me. Twilight did not see. I'll tell of how that day went, and how it started my heart's drum - the steady beat. I compose a rythym for her with the beating of my heart and the pulsing of my blood. Let it be known that I was, and still am, hopelessly lost inside of the trials and dungeons of love.

When I was young

Rarity walks up casually to Twilight's library, and greets us with a "hello." Twilight greets her with a smile, then says, "Well hey there, Rarity! What brings you here today?"

Does it matter? She's here; for the moment, at least.

"I am here to borrow that book we talked about a few days ago. You remember, yes? The one about the stallion?"

"A stallion?" I sigh. If a stallion is what she wants, then so be it. "What's the title?"

"Leaping Further. Thank you, darling."

"No problem..." I whisper this as quiet as can be. She never seems know about the storms raging inside of me. I'm no stallion, I'm no knight. I'm a librarian's fire-breathing assistant; not much else. So, with a weight in my stomach, I trudge to the "L" shelf, take several minutes to search until I finally find the book she desires. I hope she enjoys the book. I hope this will make her happy. Perhaps, someday she'll see that being a stallion isn't everything. Once again, I sigh and walk towards the front. Before I open the wooden door, however, I hear Twilight and Rarity speaking.

"... Just isn't plausible, my dear. They're two completely opposite beings! You can't expect me to believe that they might actually be compatible living together. It's just not sensible to believe that the two of them, being so differently composed, are able to maintain a stable, friendly relationship - it's just not right."

"I'm telling you, Rarity: they're fine together. They've been away from eachother for so long, I guess they both eventually started missing eachother. And anyway, they're sisters; of course they're going to argue. They're family, they can live with eachother."

"But they're so different!" She practically squeals the last word.

I hear Twilight heave a long, heavy sigh. "Everypony is different, Rarity."

"Yes, but not completely opposite!"

Looking at the book in my claws, - not hooves - I can feel tears welling in my eyes. I mustn't cry; not in front of Rarity. Biting my lip, I step out into the sunlight and bring the book to Rarity. She beams at me, and thanks me graciously. I smile back, then turn to go back inside. Different. Opposite. Incompatible. Claws, fire, scales and greed. Those are the only words I manage to think while my heart drops into the pit of my stomach. It hurts; I bet the acidic fluids are dissolving it.

Before I reach for the door, Rarity stops me. "Wait, Spike!" I do as she requests, then turn my head curiously. She clears her throat, then continues. "My sincere apologies for that little out-burst, my dear. I was simply wondering if you would assist me and Twilight with a little project we're working on?" Twilight giggles, an action that confuses me. For now, I'll ignore that. I turn to Rarity and nod. Silently, I wonder if the internal grin is visible to them.

"Splendid! I cannot thank you enough! Come along you two; I didn't come here for just the book, you know."

The tears are trying to fight their way out again.
No. I tell them inside. Miss Rarity can see me smile, Miss Rarity can see me laugh. She can even see me blush if she likes. Today, however, she is happier than I've ever seen and her eyes are vivid and bright. I can't take away her enjoyment with my sorrow, I just can't...

So, as if my tears have complied to save themselves for tonight, they stow away in the back of me; waiting the way preditor waits for his prey. I climb aboard Twilight's back, and while atop, I sit and think about how Miss Rarity might see me if I were a stallion instead of a monster.


Rarity's Boutique

Here we are in Rarity's clothing store. She has led us both to her bedroom in order to show her new design to Twilight. Twilight smiles, and says, "It's amazing, Rarity. I think it'll look great!"

"Why, thank you, Twilight! Spike, darling, would you like to see?"

I look up from my claws to see Rarity's design page thrust into my face. Neatly drawn on the page, I notice a pony - that looks a lot like Twilight - covered in a white sundress; pure white. The sleeves are short and simple. "Looks perfect for Twilight," I say.

"Oh yes, dear; of course it does now. I plan on adding to it after discussion. That being said, I may need you to gather a few materials. For now, Twilight and I will be talking for a bit. Oh, and Spike?"

"Yeah?" A request already?

"I've made you a little something, too. Twilight helped me scrape up that little bit. If you go downstairs, it should be lying on the kitchen table." From behind Rarity, Twilight smirks.

What caused her to create an outfit for me? What's the special occassion? I walk downstairs to look for the outfit she'd made me.

Upstairs, there was a discussion going on that I hadn't heard at the time. It wasn't until much later that Twilight informed me of what they were really saying.

So, while I found a black cap on the kitchen table along with a note scribbled lightly on a piece of paper, (instead of the "outfit" she'd prepared) they were "discussing about the dress."


Upstairs

"Twilight, I'm only saying that Luna and Celestia are two completely different ponies. I'm not sure I'd believe that they're entirely free of conflicts. The same goes for every sister; no, every sibling in Equestria. Why, one is Night, and the other is Day! Not only that; Luna is trapped inside of the past. Certainly Celestia would get a little annoyed with Luna if she'd accidently... Say, caused a small town of ponies to run in terror?"
Says Rarity, pulling out different colors of ribbon to flash before Twilight's eyes for input.

"Yes, but Luna is still the same Luna that Celestia knew so many years ago. Don't you think they're just happy to be together again? They seemed all right last time we saw them."
Responds Twilight, rejecting a sparkling, pink ribbon with a shake of her head.

"Twilight, darling!" Rarity lets out a small chuckle. "A relationship between two ponies is sort of like matching colors together." She smiles, opens her drawer, and pulls out a giant, red ruby surrounded with a gold plate in order to fit around her neck. Then, she puts it on. "If both ponies have a red, firey personality, then the match will work; but not as well as two colors that highlight eachothers' good points. But if one pony has a relaxed, green nature while the other," she pauses to show Twilight a dark-blue ribbon and an orange ribbon, then continues, "has a tendency to be, shall we say, impatient, then it simply won't work!"

Twilight goes off topic. "Rarity, isn't that the ruby Spike gave you? Why did you just put it on?" Rarity glances down to her jeweled beauty.

"Perhaps I just wanted to add an additional color." When Twilight remains silent in her confusion, Rarity adds, "How would you and Spike like to stay for a lunch?"


Spike's Reflections

That day was one of the best I'd ever had. Rarity had already prepared an emerald meal for me, and she went far with her design. She and Twilight called me up after I got my hat and note: the note with her slim, cursive writing. All day, she asked me to bring up materials, and instead of thanking me without even sparing a glance, she took the time to give me an appreciative smile and say, "Thank you, my dear - this is just what I need!"

I loved it when she smiled. She was so happy, she let me wear my cap that she'd given me at the table. "Oh, it's fine, dear; you've worked so hard today. One little manner doesn't matter right now! We're all friends, aren't we?"

Before that day, I'd never heard her be so lenient about manners. That didn't matter as much to me at the time, though. What I really set my head on was: the prepared jewels, her asking Twilight what I'd like, taking the time to make me the baseball cap, the constant smiles, the note, the ruby I gave her wrapped around her neck. Amazingly, her good mood affected both me and Twilight.

I mustn't dwell so much on what I'm thinking now - I want to reflect on my thoughts as I was walking home that evening with Twilight.


Dusk
Rarity smiled all day today. When she smiles, it seems to affect me somehow. I really can't explain it better than this:
When Celestia's sun rises to absorb the night's serenity, all the creatures open their eyes to "new."
"New" clings to every being; it spreads across every hill, every mountain top.
Bright and colorful, the blades of grass sway in sync with the Pegasi's conjured wind; creating an illusion.
Only, I can spot the differences between a dream and reality;
but that's because I've spent my time perfecting my illusions.
So, singing a song in the gentle breeze, they rotate back and forth into uncertain, manipulative waves.
Somedays, I think they're swimming. Others, I think they're passing new ideas and thoughts to places farther away from here.
The passings of day, and the whispers of night always tell of tales to help create the "new."


When I bring forth Rarity's smiles, I feel like I've created something new. Even now as I walk home beneath the darkening sky, I can feel a warmth rising from my throat and into my cheeks. As I walk home, I reread the note she gave me in my head over and over. Like a broken record, I replay her words and blush.Dearest Spike,

I didn't add any particular design on this one. Twilight told me you'd prefer it that way; but just in case, I embroidered the inside of the cap. Certainly is is no ruby, but I still thought you'd find it fun to wear, hmm? Also, I'm preparing the rest of the outfit for you. I apologize for the delay.

Yours Truly,

Miss Rarity.

Mine truly. My Rarity. Twilight trots beside me and takes note of my smile. "You're certainly in a good mood. What's up with you and Rarity today?"

"I don't have a clue what you're talking about."
I reply, then cast my gaze back to the orange clouds floating just above Celestia's falling sun. Soon, Luna's peaceful stars and mood would create the night again: a different night. Tonight is my night. I hope Luna doesn't mind; I think I'm falling into a crimson pleasure. A gentle heart like hers will surely catch me before I hit the floor. Surely, tonight was a sign. Surely, she doesn't believe we're so different, does she? Does she?