• Published 16th Jul 2012
  • 4,439 Views, 145 Comments

Surrender - Saekwaka

  • ...
9
 145
 4,439

Ch. 5: Zecora's Brew

I can never tell why Twilight does the things she does. Every day for the past couple of months, her routine has been the same: eat, sleep, study. Don't get me wrong; she used to do this a lot - but never for several months. She's neglecting everypony she knows besides Zecora and Rarity. I never know what those three do, since Twilight only tells me where she's going, and not why. Whenever she leaves to go over to their houses, I'm left to clean up any messes Twilight might've made. Like I said before, though; cleaning isn't the only thing I do.

Right now, I'm sitting next to the "L" bookshelf, wondering if there's an extra copy of Leaping Further, the book Rarity wanted a while back. No; "wanted" is the wrong word... A better word would be "enjoys," since she hasn't come back to return the copy. I assume she likes it, and I'm glad she's enjoying it. Scanning the bookshelves, I continue searching for the book. None.

I sigh, and sit back down, suddenly remembering Hearts Warming Eve and how we stood together in the snow. Silently, I scold myself for never giving Rarity a gift. Pathetic, aren't I? Several months after the holiday, and I still haven't managed to buy her a gift. I amble upstairs to my bed. Inside my pillowcase (where I always store it), I dig for the locket she gave me.

She gave me a heart, didn't she? It's beautiful, but, why do I ache so much? This locket holds a taste of bitter-sweet.

That night when I'd released almost every source of emotion weighing me down, she ignored it entirely. To her, I'm a great friend, but; I don't want to be a friend. Twilight is a friend, but Rarity, she's the reason I breathe. If it weren't for her existence, I'd never know happiness, and I'd never know what it means to actually live. I mean, sure, I'm breathing, but honestly, before her, I never had anypony take my breath away.

Before Hearts Warming, I spent my time heavily alone. Every step was hindered by at least one desire left unspoken. When she's around, I feel light, and even a bit fluttery.

Still, I can't let go of how she ignored my call to her; my incomplete confession. When we stood there together in the snow, she was halted by my words with her mouth agape. I know she heard each word, and I know I said them because at that moment, I remember my heart taking absolute control of what I did while my mind went blank. She brushed off how I want to be with her. Am I such a pest that she doesn't want anything to do with me?

I'm glad for her locket, and I'm glad she gave me her heart; but I still am not entirely sure why mine hurts so much. It's screaming in agony, almost as if a frozen shard of itself has sliced an opening into it. Revolting, isn't it? Honestly, I'm finding it even more revolting how much I'm wanting to set this library to flames and reduce every last printed letter into ashes.

I want to, but I don't know why. My conscience tells me that this will bring only misery, and since misery seems to love me, I won't. Even though I won't for Twilight, I still want to; but I can't explain why. I guess it's just a dragon thing - and another waste of time.

So much time wasted on thinking of her, wanting her, loving her. So much of it was wasted on one bad moment; a moment too early. I should have waited. I always thought about how much waiting hurt, but this is far worse. Rejection is what is partially aching me, but as for the rest, I'm not entirely sure.

But maybe, just maybe, if I wait longer, she'll change her mind. Maybe my begging will be heard by somepony and she'll finally be mine. Maybe, just maybe...

I shouldn't spend this time second guessing. It's unhealthy. I should wait, let the actions unravel before me in a diagram so that it can be read as a story that only Time will be able to tell.


Twilight's Blunder

"Zecora, have you found it yet?" Twilight asks, leaning over the zebra's bubbling cauldron. Zecora, who stands no more than a few inches away, glances at Twilight with annoyance.

"This potion will take a lot of time to brew; but, as for the ingredients, I'm missing a few." Zecora says, still stirring the boiling contents.

"What ingredients? I'll get them if you need them."

"It appears that you do not understand," Zecora continues. "The last few ingredients are the kind that can not be harvest from the trees, dirt, or sand."

"Where can I get them?" Twilight silently prays that Zecora knows.

"Take this vessel colored of blue. Perhaps the answer will come to you. The book tells me you will need words spoken true, along with a heart beating for her; a heart composed entirely of pure. Where to find these, and how to harvest them, I am not entirely sure." She says, not chancing to look at the transfixed look on Twilight's face. She gives Twilight the blue little bottle shaped as a heart that seems to be split into three parts.

"The first one here says that you will need a source of DNA from the lover's head. That way, the potion can, for a second, connect their thoughts. Though, taking a piece may seem a little odd; if I were you, I would try not to be caught."

"So you mean hair."

"If it is a stallion that beats for her, then, yes, that is correct."

"What do you mean if it's a stallion?" Twilight asks, tilting her head.

"Twilight, you ought to think more with an open mind; love is not limited to just ponies. Look hard enough, and perhaps her soul-mate you will find."

Twilight pauses, then allows concern to line her face. Looking inside the cauldron, she notices that the bubbling brew has turned a bright yellow.

"Lucky for you," Zecora continues, "years must pass before finishing the brew." When Twilight doesn't respond, Zecora goes on with her explanation. "This potion must sit and allow time to pass so that the love is no longer able to break. Only then will your friend be able to continue her life without your mistake." Twilight blushes. "The spell you casted was very strong, so I'm creating several in case something goes wrong. But do not misunderstand my words, because there is no hurry in retrieving the last; the ingredients will only take effect if enough time has passed."

"How will we know how long it will be?" Asks Twilight.

"The one you find and your unfortunate friend will be the ones to let you in. Do not tell them of this plan; otherwise, they will rush the truth. That never goes down well, I'm sure a lesson that has been taught to you." Zecora finishes her sentence, then watches Twilight place the vessel into her saddlebag. Zecora turns away into a compartment to pull out several potion vials, then returns to fill them each with the potion. "I will keep these safe for Miss Rarity, but even though years will have to pass, you can not neglect your responsibilty. I hope now that you have learned that sometimes even our most full-proof plans can take a wrong turn. Perhaps next time, instead of rushing, you will wait; that way, nopony else will suffer an unfortunate fate." This time, Zecora takes a moment to stare firmly into Twilight's eyes. In response, Twilight closes hers, and lets go of a single tear. "I will, I swear. I've learned my lesson now; I just want all of this to end." When she continues to cry, Zecora only smiles, then wraps her hoof around the shoulder of her friend.

"I'm sure your friend Rarity wishes the same. Of course, you'll have to tell her to wait a while. Though, I think it'd be best for every pony if you kept your chin up; I'd much rather have you continue to smile."