• Published 3rd Aug 2017
  • 767 Views, 375 Comments

Elements of Heroism: Season 4 - Bahamut0



Burst and the other Elements of Heroism have been enjoying their peace so far. However, the future is full of surprises. And they'll soon realize just how much they can live up to their elements.

  • ...
9
 375
 767

Episode 20: A Magnetic Resonance

North was going about his usual routine at Sweet Apple Acres. Kicking trees and collecting apples. Helping out with the heavy lifting or putting his magic to practical use through his chores. However, his wake-up call consisted of Applejack walking over to where he slept, and kissing him. North let out a happy sigh. 'That lass is what makes living here worth it all.' North wiped the sweat from his brow as he finished hauling in the buckets of apples he'd collected. Sure enough, he saw Applejack waiting for him outside. "All done lass?"

"Sure am." Applejack said with a nod. "Care to head into town? Me and the rest of the family were on our way."

North smiled. "No place I'd rather be if it means I'm with you Applejack." North cleaned himself up, and left with the Apple Family. However, they soon found their path obscured by a large crowd. "What's going on?" They all scouted ahead, and North instantly frowned upon seeing whom the crowd's attention was focused on. "Those two crooks again." North's frown was soon copied by the entire Apple Family when they saw Flim and Falm.

"Ah thought you ran those varmints off!" Applejack noted.

North sighed. "If nothing else, they're tenacious. The last time they were here, they tried to push you out of your business. Wonder what sort of scam they've concoted this time." From the looks of things, the group saw that Flim and Flam were selling a cure-all tonic. 'What a load of rubbish.' North thought. Things then took a surprising turn when Flim and Flam singled out Granny Smith from the crowd for a demonstration! Not a moment later, Granny Smith had a new spring in her step! But North still wasn't buying it. "Applejack? I think we should pay a visit after-hours. Something about this stinks."

"I hear ya sugarcube." Applejack said with a nod. "We'll scout it out tonight." Night soon fell, and North and Applejack snuck into where the "miracle tonic" was made. And sure enough, they found out it was a fake! "Ah knew it was too good to be true! C'mon North! Let's go!" The two were almost on their way out, but ran into Flim and Flam. "Outta our way varmints! Or yer gonna be sorry!"

"Now, now Applejack!" Flim said with a dismissive wave. "We're not going to get in your way. In fact, you're welcome to leave right now. But..."

Flam smirked. "It'd be a shame if poor Granny Smith were to find out that her newfound vitality was all a big sham. Wouldn't it? Just a little something for you to think on." The two con men let North and Applejack leave. However, North noticed how doubtful Applejack was. And he stopped in his tracks.

"North?" Applejack asked. "Is somethin' wrong?"

North sighed. "There is. You. I can tell you're torn up about telling the truth." North took a deep breath as he put his hands on Applejack's shoulders. "I know your family's happiness means everything to you. But think! You're the Element of Honesty lass! How could you live with yourself if you knew that their happiness was built on a lie?! How could you keep on going knowing you let other people be preyed upon by crooks like Flim and Flam?! Be honest with yourself Applejack. Is this lie, this false happiness, worth betraying who you are?" North was surprised when Applejack pulled him into a tight hug! North looked up, and saw tears falling from Applejack's eyes. North closed his eyes, and wrapped his arms around Applejack. Stroking her back to comfort her. "Easy lass. Easy. I'm here." North then tightened his hug. "Nothing in the world could pull me from your side."

"Yer right North." Applejack said as the tears began to cease. "Ah almost did something completely stupid. Ah can't lie to myself. Thank you." The two loosed their holds on each other. But not separating an inch from each other. "Ah don't think Ah've ever said this. And if Ah have, Ah haven't said it enough. Ah love you North."

North smiled as he caressed Applejack's cheek. "I love you too. Long as your arms are open, I'll always be pulled in because my heart pushes me towards you." North and Applejack shared a tender kiss before heading home and breaking the news to Granny Smith. However, Granny Smith was relieved with the fact that Applejack stayed true to herself. "Well now. I'd say it's time to wrap up this little incident. We're paying Flim and Flam a visit tomorrow." The next day, Applejack and North went forth and exposed the sham that was Flim and Flam's cure-all tonic! Adding to the exposure was a young man who had been helping to sell the lies about the tonic! He'd seen Applejack's honesty, and backed-up her claims with the fact he had witnessed Flim and Flam disclosing that the tonic was nothing more than water! Once Flim and Flam were ran out of town, the young man gave Applejack his first, and only, honestly earned bit.

"C'mon sugarcube." Applejack said with a smile as she took North by the hand. "Let's head home. That apple pie is calling our names."

North smiled. "I thought we'd never get around to finishing it."

One week later. Trottingham.
Flim and Flam were struggling to peddle their lastest sham products. However, Applejack's testimony about their scams and North's account of them trying to muscle-in on the Apple Family's business, they were avoided like the plague! "Gears and grease!" Flim groaned. "This is just like Magnet North all over again!"

"Inded." Flam sighed. "Not even throwing a fist, and he's beaten us so throughly!" However, the two con men were unaware that their moping had caught the ears of a noble. One who seemed particularly interested at the mention of North's name. The young noble had grey skin, platinum blonde hair (style: Dio Brando from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure). He was wearing a dark grey shirt and pants with black boots.

"Pardon me gentlemen. But I heard you mention the name Magnet North."

Flim and Flam caustiously acknowledge the stranger's inquiry. "What's he to you mister? A friend of yours?"

"No." The man shook his head. "But I've had an encounter with him. And since we seem to both have business concerning him, I'd think it best if we discuss how to deal with him."

Flam grinned. "Well sign us up Mr.?"

"Ignoble. Lord Ignoble Cause." Ignoble answered. "Now. I believe this conversation is better suited at my estate." Ignoble led the twin con men to his mansion. "Now. Tell me where your troubles began." Flim and Flam then recounted their encounters with Magnet North. What Ignoble took of note was how North always seemed to come to the side of the Apple Family. "Interesting. Well then gentlemen. I believe I've arrived at a solution to our common dilemma."

Flim nervously posed a question. "Um, your lordship? If you don't mind me asking, what's your stake in all this? What's Magnet North to you?"

Ignoble's memories flashed back to one night a few years ago. He was just returning from a grand party. However, his mood soured when the security system had picked up an intruder. Ignoble was quite skilled with a blade, and brandished a sword hanging from one of the many walls of his home. He then saw the thief. Carrying a sack of valuables and food as well. "Well, well. It appears we have a vermin who came to fill his gut." Ignoble sneered at the youth before him. He had red and blue hair, and his clothes were in oddly decent condition. "Clean or not. Vermin are still vermin. And they must be exterminated!" The young theif leaped back as Ignoble swung at him, and then used his magic to send Ignoble flying into a wall! The young thief then made his way to the window and looked back at Ignoble.

"Who said anything about filling my pockets? Or my stomach for that matter?" The thief said with a smirk as he used his magic to slow his descent from the window! Landing safely on the ground! In a rage, Ignoble ran the security footage of the thief's face through a record. A name showed up under the search that matched the description. Magnet North.

'Humiliated...by street trash?! UNACCEPTABLE!' Ignoble thought as his mind slowly returned to the present. "Unfinished businees. But now, I suppose we should move on to constructing our solution." Ignoble pulled out a device, and searched through a spellbook. "Ah. This should do quite nicely." Ignoble cast the spell into a chamber in the device, and the chamber sealed shut with the spell inside! "This herbicide device should put the Apple Family in the palm of your hand."

"But...how do you expect us to deal with North?" Flam asked.

Ignoble smirked. "From what you said earlier, the two of you have expertise in the field of mechanics and engineering. Tell me. Are you familiar with the concepts of golems? Or...automations?" Ignoble then led Flim and Flam to a chamber that housed parts that could be used to make mechs. "Shall I leave you two gentleman to it?" Flim and Flam just nodded blankly. "Excellent."

Three days later. Sweet Apple Acres.
The Apple Family and North were working away happily. However, their usual day was rudely interrupted by Flim and Flam showing up. A squadron of mechs behind them and a strange device in hand. North narrowed his eyes and marched his way over to the intruders. But Applejack stood in his way. "North stop!" Applejack protested. "Ah know yer thinking of taking them on, but yer outgunned!"

"Applejack." North said as he took hold of Applejack's hand. "Those things are made of metal. And I doubt that even with your strength, you'd be able to make a dent. But you're more than welcome to join the fight." Applejack then summoned her Harmony Keeper. The twin crossbows called True Aim. "You keep reminding me why I love you lass." And with that, the couple marched right up to Flim, Flam, and their mech minions.

"We've a new proposition for you." Flim said with a smirk. "An all-or-nothing deal!"

Flam smirked in kind. "If you can beat our mechanized associate, the timer on this device will halt. And time begins....now!" Flam activated the timer on the device, and North and Applejack rushed the mechs before them! Applejack's stun bolts shocked the systems of the mechs! Causing them to fall where they stood! North's magnetism magic allowed him to bash the mechs into each other! But while North and Applejack held the edge in skill, the mechs had the advantage in numbers! The more mechs they sent to the scrapyard, more marched forward like they were fresh off the assembly line!

Despite the fight going well, Applejack was starting to tire out. Just as she was about to be surrounded by the swarm of mechs! But North shoved her out of the way and prepared to fight off the remaining mechs alone! "NORTH!" Applejack cried out!

"Applejack! GO!" North cried out! He then looked at the mechs surrounding him. "All right you rustbuckets. COME AND GET SOME!" But despite North's spirit, the mechs quickly turned the tide in their favor as North was starting to tire due to how frequently he'd used his magic! Almost on his last legs, North was panting heavily. 'So. This is it.' North thought with a small smile. 'That's fine. If I don't win, at least I know I gave it my all for those who gave me so much.' North then glanced at Applejack and her family. 'I'm proud...to have been a part of their family...' Suddenly, a blinding light appeared in North's hand! North shielded his eyes and the mechs backed away!

When the light faded, North saw what looked like a shot blaster in his hands! But the top of the base looked like it had the face of some kind of robotic warrior. And what was more unusal were the twin attachments at the sides. They looked like the halves of a horseshow magnet. Both ends, one red tipped and one blue tipped, were facing North. And the barrels of the blaster were two different colors. The top was blue and the bottom was red. Both had a silver ring at their muzzle. Wasting no time, North fired the blaster, and a blue blast came out! The blast then pulled in a few nearby mechs, and exploded! Sending their parts flying everywhere! North smiled. "Now it's my turn to push back!" North fired several more shots! Each exploding as they pulled any mech unlucky enough to be nearby! With their numbers dwindling, the mechs changed tactics! They began to try rushing at North! North looked at the pump of the blaster, and used it. The magnet halves on the sides blaster then switched forward! As the mechs inched closer, North fired! This time, a red blast came out that shredded through the mechs advancing on him! "Now THIS is my kind of weapon! Pushes and pulls like a magnet. Think I'll call it...Polarity." North then continued blasting holes in the remaining mechs! Soon, the orchard looked like it was a junkyard with all of the mech remains littered about.

Flim sighed. "Well, a deal's a deal. Turn it off Flam."

"Uh...brother?" Flam said nervously. "There's no timer on this thing!"

"WHAT?!" Flim screamed as he rushed over to confirm! His eyes went wide with terror. "Then how do we stop it?!"

North rushed over, and inspected the device. His suspicions were confirmed when he saw the spell chamber. "It's a spell bomb! It can only be disarmed by performing a nullification spell or by a bomb diffuser! Last I checked, we don't have any bomb squad members here. What spell was cast on this thing?!"

"An herbicide spell! But that wouldn't ha-!" Flim froze at the realization of the bomb's target. "It would decimate all of Sweet Apple Acres! This wasn't supposed to happen!"

Flam nervously eyed the spell chamber as it glowed ever brighter! "We don't know any nullification spells! Ths thing's gonna blow and put a serious dent in Ponyville's food supply!"

"Not if I've got a say in things." North said as he narrowed his eyes. "You two toss it as high as you can!" North then readied his blaster! "I'll take care of the rest!" Flim and Flam chucked the spell bomb as high as the could, and North fired! Destroying the bomb before it had a chance to unleash the destructive spell within! North smiled as he looked at Flim and Flam. "You two blokes aren't all bad." Flim and Flam smiled a little before North clocked them on the head. "But you're still in a heap of trouble." Flim and Flam nodded as they got to work cleaning up all the mech remains. North levitating the pile to a cart. "You can at least get a few bits off of what can be salvaged. Now off with you!" As soon as Flim and Flam left, North felt himself being tackled to the ground by Applejack. Her hat flying off of her as she tackled North!

Applejack was smling as tears fell down her face. "You idiot..." she began as she touched her forehead to North's. "You noble, cute, idiot..."Applejack then tightened her grip. "Don't you dare get me scared like that again!"

"I love you too." North said with a smile as he and Applejack kissed on full display. The Apple Family only smiling proudly as they saw the young couple hold each other. Their hard-fought battle over. It was a time of rest now.

Author's Note:

Ignoble Cause is owned by me.