• Published 14th Jul 2012
  • 3,033 Views, 49 Comments

Hunter's Story - Horatiojones



A child in Equestria, whatever shall be done, he can't go back, so where should he go

  • ...
8
 49
 3,033

Brand New Day-Chapter 2

Hunter woke, yawning loudly, he reached up to place a hand over his mouth, when he encountered a large, moving mass of fur, Hunter screamed, causing the mass to stir, and then say “Hunter shh, it’s going to be alright”. Hunter recalled the events of the previous day, and smiled, as he now remembered that his new mother had allowed him to sleep in her bed.

The human child then proceeded to get up, scratching his face as he did so, after having given his new mother a big “good morning” hug, relishing being able to do so. Then Hunter felt the morning chill, and shivered quite noticeably, before grabbing a blanket of the nearby bed and wrapping himself in it. He stood stretching as Fluttershy got out of the bed, slipping quietly out from under the covers and joining him at looking around her room, the sunlight streaming in thanks to Celestia, painting everything in a bright, cheerful light.

Hunter looked at Fluttershy, who was smiling radiantly back at him, her small stature for an adult, in his experience at least, made him smile, as he realised that it would not be long before he was more than equal to her in height, which was always a goal of his, to be taller than authority figures, no matter how sweet and caring they were.

A knocking woke Hunter from his thoughts, so he wandered down to the door of his new home, greeting Angel, as he passed the rabbit’s bed. Upon opening the door he saw his new dragon friend Spike looking at him, while panting loudly, having, it appeared, just run all the way from his house. When Spike got his voice back, he said “everypony that Twilight thinks you should meet is coming in an hour, where going to have a picnic in the park nearby, you’ll get to meet all of her friends, as well as the cutiemark crusaders, who are always good for some fun, but anyway twilight got me to bring you these”, and produced some clothes from a bag he was carrying, the clothes matching what Hunter had described to Rarity the previous night almost perfectly, except the shoes, which he saw were made out of cotton, and were very similar to Vans, a brand of shoes he had seen lots of older kids where.

Lacking any modest, mainly as Spike was already naked in front of him, he dropped the blanket he had been using for warmth, and placed the clothes on, glad when the fit well. Spike then said “do you wanna play Frisbee”, and took a plastic disk out of the same bag, to which Hunter nodded eagerly in response, before thinking and saying “yeah definitely, but I think I might have to ask my mum first”, Hunter smiled inwardly, happy to have been able to call Fluttershy his mum in front of somebody else. Spike just looked confused, right up to when Fluttershy walked up to the two boys, and said “sure Hunter, you can play with Spike, just remember to not get to dirty”, at which point a look of comprehension appeared on his face, as he realised who Hunter had been referring to, and smiled, happy his new younger friend was happy.

They both walked out to Fluttershy’s garden, where Spike threw the Frisbee to Hunter who caught it deftly in his hand, on seeing this Spike said “oh Celestia, you have no idea how good it’s going to be having someone else with thumbs to play with”, they chatted like this for a little while, describing their worlds to each other. When Hunter asked “do you guys have guitars here” he was very excited when Spike nodded in the affirmative, and explained “I’ve been playing since I was six, my dad taught me, but I was worried you guys didn’t have them here”.

Spike told him about Ponyville’s music store, which he was sure would be able to provide him with a guitar, and was about to ask him whether he thought Fluttershy would let him get a guitar, when lo and behold, who should walk out of her house, but that very mare. Hunter turned to his new mother and said “do you think I could get a guitar, I played with my dad all the time, and he said I was good”, Fluttershy replied “yes, that should be fine, and I'm sure we could find somebody to continue your lessons”.

After she said this, Twilight and Rarity arrived, with lots of ponies hunter didn’t know, three fillies, and three adult mares, all six of them stopped chatting, and just stared at Hunter, who meanwhile stared at a, what he thought was very pretty, orange and purple Pegasus, having only given the rest of them a quick glance. The six new pony’s thoughts were summed up by one of the fillies, a yellow coat one with a big red bow on her neck, who said “what in tarnation is that Fluttershy, and why have yah got it all dressed up, frou frou like”. Hunter was insulted, fairly sure that he had just been called an animal, by the smaller pony, so he took it upon himself to introduce himself to them, and exclaimed “why, I am human, an alien creature, who has been stranded in this strange land, (he was pretty much stating word for word, the way an astronaut had introduced himself to little green men on mars, in a book his father once read him) all alone, I wear clothes, because, unlike you, I have not got a coat, and so require it for warmth, and protection”, and bowed respectively, then he and spiked started giggling, which caused the rest of the group to start laughing, surprised by the way this unknown creature had introduced himself.

Rarity meanwhile, was looking on with a smile, quite happy with how her good friends new son presented himself to others, Twilight however was somewhat surprised, unable to understand that it was a joke, she started to think that this was how he always acted, and yesterday he had just been suffering from shock. Twilight’s thoughts were soon proved wrong, when the young boy threw his Frisbee, missing Spike in a obviously purposeful manner, and instead hitting Scootaloo, who looked in confusion at the disk which had just hit her, but then Hunter cried out, “tag your it”, and ran off, with Spike in tow, The CTC looked after them and then quickly gathered in a group and whispered quietly to each other, before disbanding and shouting “Cutiemark Crusader Human Hunters, Yay” and ran after the rapidly fleeing human and dragon.
The adult ponies watched this with some amusement, before, finally, Applejack said “Fluttershy, I think you have some explaining to do, to which Fluttershy agreed, and told them all of what had transpired yesterday. As her friends listened closely, when they heard that Hunter was now her legally adopted son, they all reacted differently. Pinkie Pie, needless to say, immediately started talking about a party; too introduce Hunter to the town. Applejack just nodded, accepting it as something Fluttershy would do. Rainbow Dash however acted differently, saying “so you just met, and you adopted him, just like that?”, Fluttershy responded “yes”, to which Rainbow Dash said “look, you’ve given me a lot to think about, I’ll introduce myself to him at the party”, and she flew off.

When Rainbow Dash flew off, the friends remarked at how strange this was, except for a certain Stetson wearing Earth Pony, who was fully aware of what Rainbow Dash, was talking about, and where she was probably going. The five mares wondered over to the meadow in which the five children were playing chasey, with Hunter now running after the three fillies, and spike lying exhausted on the ground. The adults gathered around a picnic basket that Pinkie had brought, filled with baked goods from the bakery, Cupcakes, cakes, muffins, and all other baked deliciousnesses, as well as some warm hot chocolate. Hunter turned on seeing this display and ran over to the picnic basket, and went to Fluttershy, saying “mum can I please have a cupcake, it’s for scientific reasons” while smiling in a reassuring manner, “scientific reasons?” she replied. “Yeah, I figure that I should probably find out if you make them like they do where I came from” he responded, in what he hoped was a knowing way. Fluttershy said “ok” so he grabbed the nearest chocolate flavoured desert, and ran back to his friends, holding his cupcake in his hand.

Her friends all cooed at the adorable manner in how Hunter was really treating Fluttershy, like his mother, but then Rarity spoke up, saying “he is really quite delightful dear, but I fear those citizens with less open mindedness will find it hard to accept him into their society”, to which Fluttershy replied “I guess we really should have that party, what do you think Pinkie Pie”. Turning to her pink friends, who, meanwhile, was setting up her welcome wagon, then Pinkie turned to her friends and said “oh, I'm sure it will be fine, everybody should get along, even that grumpy donkey and everything, just because he’s different doesn’t mean they won’t accept him, I'm sure a lot of them learnt their lesson after what happened with Zecora” and then continued with setting up her wagon.

By now the other young creatures, had all seen the food that was on display, and had run over with Hunter, begging for food. Fluttershy asked the three fillies “did you guys introduce yourselves”, to which they shook their heads and turned to Hunter, Scootaloo said “hi I'm Scootaloo, it’s nice to meet you”, then Applebloom introduced herself “it’s awful nice to meet you, your pretty fun for a strange creature” and finally Sweetie Bell introduced herself saying “it brings me great joy to make your acquaintance” in a prim and proper fashion. And then they all sat down, and had cake.

Twilight watched this interaction, which gave her some hope for the future, and then decided to see if she could find out any more about where Hunter came from. She asked him “so did you have ponies where you came from”, to which hunter replied, after swallowing a mouthful of cake, “yeah, kinda, we had ponies, but they were a lot bigger than you, and coloured normally, but they didn’t have wings or horns, or both, by the way, whats up with that” what followed was a quick explanation by Twilight, in which she explained, how they all had magic and how they used it differently.

Then Hunter asked something that had been nagging him for a while “why do all the adults have tattoos in the same place on their butt”, to which Twilight replied “firstly, it’s called our flank, but anyway, those are our cutiemarks, they tell us what were good at, you only get them once you’ve found out what it is”. Scootaloo was shocked, thinking she knew what this meant, and asked “Hunter, do you mean to say that humans never get their cutiemark, no matter how many things they do”, Hunter nodded his head, and said “yeah, why is that a bad thing”.

Fluttershy was worried about where this was going, and so decided to change the subject back to where Hunter came from, and she asked “so Hunter, did they have magic on earth”, hunter shook his head and said “no but our technology was a lot more advanced, and we invented machines that could allow us to fly”, this last part earned a look from pinkie, who was an amateur enthusiast in the area of flight technologies, having created a helicopter-like device that she used to fly through the air.

Pinkie then began to sing her welcome song, and then shot tons of streamers into the air, and produced a cake, which said “Welcome to Equestria” on it, from her wagon’s oven. All the ponies, Spike, and Hunter, took a piece, and they all sat on the large picnic rug eating, Spike and Hunter using their fingers to put the cake in their mouths, while the ponies just ate with their mouths. Hunter finished his cake quickly, and watched his new friends eat, then started laughing when Fluttershy looked up at him, as her muzzle was completely covered in cake. The other ponies all looked up at him, all of them with cake all over their face, which just made Hunter laugh louder, before he eventually gasped out “sorry, but watching you guys eat cake is hilarious” and then started laughing again. The others just looked at each other, before realising he was talking about the cake on their face, and started laughing to.

After this, Applejack and Pinkie Pie introduced themselves to Hunter, who was throwing the Frisbee with Spike again, while the cutiemark crusaders looked on with utter fascination at how easy they made it look, as the ponies where used to playing the game with their mouths, which made it a lot more difficult. Eventually the group decided it was time to go, so everybody but Twilight and Spike left, with the three girls promising to come over the next day, and Pinkie Pie saying that the party would be three days from now, deciding a surprise party would be a bad idea, as the people who were aware of the party would probably be the most surprised, not Hunter.

While Spike and Hunter played Frisbee, Twilight began speaking quietly to Fluttershy, saying, “would you mind if I asked Hunter some questions, I really need to find out what happened with his father”, Fluttershy said “ok, do you want to spend the night, I think if we played a game or something he would be more likely to open up to us, and I'm sure he would love to have Spike sleepover,” she asked hopefully “I have a spare bed, and the couch folds out, so it would be no trouble” she continued.

Twilight agreed that it was probably the best idea, so she nodded her head. Meanwhile, Spike and Hunter had begun listening to their conversation, and high fived each other when Twilight said yes, they both looked at their hands after this, having just realised what they had done, before eventually Hunter spoke “that was awesome, I just high fived a dragon”, at which Spike chuckled, and agreed. They walked back to Fluttershy’s house, where Angel was standing out the front, tapping his foot expectantly, then pointed to his wrist, and then to his stomach, Hunter walked into the house and started making the rabbit a salad, and once finished walked out and gave it to him.

Hunter walked over to the draw filled with games that Fluttershy had gotten Monopony from the night before, and pulled out Cluedo, surprised again by the similarities between his world and this one. When he turned around, Cluedo in hand, Twilight gasped, while Spike chuckled and explained “that’s her favourite board game, I think it’s mainly because it’s the one that’s least about luck”. Happy that his choice had been right, Hunter placed the game on the floor and began setting it up with Spike’s help.

Fluttershy walked over to Hunter, Twilight alongside her, and asked “could you please write down what foods you can eat, I don’t think it would be healthy eating fish and cake all the time”, handing him a piece of paper with a pen on it, Hunter responded, “well actually, I eat most things, in fact, the only thing I can’t really eat, is grass and leaves, the rest, unless its poisonous, is fine, but yeah, some meat would be nice tonight, but I don’t have to have any, it’s just , I think that I can’t just live on fish alone”. Fluttershy and Twilight looked at each other, wondering what they should do, Fluttershy was thinking of the few times she had nursed carnivorous creatures, and how she’d had to find recently killed animals, and take meat from them, while Twilight was thinking about the fact that they knew so very little about the actual act of cooking with meat.

Hunter saw the two concentrating on their thoughts and began to believe he had done something wrong, and said “look it’s alright I will eat fish, I'm okay with it,”, Twilight responded “no, it’s fine dear, we just had not really thought about this yet, I’m sure we can think of something, in fact I have an idea, in Canterlot, they have a griffin butcher, who’s customers are all the visiting dignitaries of others countries, I'm sure he could easily supply us with meat, especially if we get the princesses to ask him”. Fluttershy nodded, then realised “Hunter, you eat cooked meat right?” She asked, to which he said “yes”, and Fluttershy continued “it’s just; I don’t think that I can cook meat, the very idea makes me feel sick”. Hunter responded “that’s alright, I can actually cook pretty decently, my dad always said that a person should be able to cook for themselves, so he taught me how, in fact how about tonight I make dinner, and from now on, unless I want something you can eat, I’ll cook for myself”. Fluttershy responded quickly “no you can’t possibly do that, I'm your mother, I should cook for you” but Hunter just reassured her, saying “no it’s fine really, I like to cook, it’ll be fun”.

Having sorted out this, Fluttershy relaxed, as it had actually been worrying her since the night before, cooking the fish had really not been easy, as she kept thinking how she was cooking something that had been alive only a small time before, but now she was relaxed. Hunter had walked into the kitchen, and began putting together vegetables for a roast, while cutting up some fruits for dessert, and then he placed the vegetables in the oven.

He wandered back into the living room, where he saw Twilight and Fluttershy talking quietly, and looking at him, at which point spike came over and said “they want to talk to you about something serious, but they don’t want to ask, as they don’t want to make you sad”. Hunter nodded, and walked slowly over to them and said “look whatever you want to talk about, I'm okay with, I trust you guys, and if it’s something you need to know, it’s something you need to know”, Twilight responded “Hunter, I'm sorry but I have to ask, what do you remember about what happened with your father”.

Hunter looked sad for a moment, but straightened up and said “okay, a few days ago, it was take your kids to work day, at the laboratory my dad works at, and so he had let me come, we were in this big room, filled with machines, when one of them turned on, suddenly, and started shooting around the room, hitting people, it was about to hit me, when my dad jumped in front of me, but he just disappeared and it hit me, and then I found myself in the gardens” the last part about his father he said haltingly, “well your father sounds like a hero, why are you so sad” Twilight asked, noticing Hunter’s saddened demeanour. Hunter said, sitting down, “it’s just, I think my father could have survived if I just moved out of the way, but I didn’t and now he’s gone, and it’s all my fault” and started sobbing. Fluttershy came over and hugged him tightly, and said “no hunter, it wasn’t your fault, it was somepony else’s fault, and even then it was an accident, and besides, sometimes people make mistakes, but when you do, you just have to get over them”, Hunter nodded, still crying but not sobbing any longer. Twilight and Spike joined in, with Spike saying “anyway, if that hadn’t happened, I wouldn’t have a new friend”.

They stayed like that for a while, enjoying the comfortable warmth the closeness brought, when Hunter remembered the vegetables, and burst out from the middle of the group hug, raced into the kitchen, and pulled out the vegetables, which much to his surprise, were cooked perfectly.

They ate, with everybody commenting on Hunter’s cooking ability, which caused him to blush slightly, before saying “see I told you I could cook”. They all agreed, before finishing the fruit salad he had made. Hunter saw Twilight move the spare bed out of the cupboard and set it up in the living room, with her magic, needless to say, it blew his mind, this being the first time he had seen a unicorn use magic, while everybody else just laughed at his reaction.

Spike and Hunter went to bed, while Twilight and Fluttershy went outside, saying they wanted to see the stars, and smiled at each other, as if sharing a joke. Hunter and Spike became suspicious, so they snuck outside, where Hunter gasped loudly, as he swathe unexpected sight before him, Twilight, Fluttershy and Princess Luna, nuzzling each other, with Fluttershy and Twilight either side of Luna. Fluttershy, used to looking after small animals, and therefore always listening out for very soft sounds, heard the gasp and turned around, then said “oh, oh my” and fainted.



Second Chapter, Better than the first? Again, first story, still learning, so any advice is good. Plus, I'm pretty happy with how this chapter turned out as it's my main explain each other's worlds chapter, which is why it took me ages, lots of things to decide. If you guys like this chapter say so, I'm thinking of redoing the first, so any thoughts on what is good in either, stuff like that