• Published 23rd Jul 2017
  • 7,660 Views, 650 Comments

Kamen Rider Unicorn - Michael_Ravencroft



Items of power thought destroyed have found their way to a parallel world. And the only one who can stop the coming danger, is a masked rider.

  • ...
11
 650
 7,660

PreviousChapters Next
U: Unicorn's Special Day / Sunset's Secret

It was December in Canterlot City, and all around the city was covered in a blanket of snow. The spirit of Christmas was alive in this city, decorations adorned the street lamps, Christmas trees, tinsel, wreathes, and the sound of carolers singing ran through the air. Santas were at practically every corner, ringing their bells as they asked for passersby to show their generosity for those less fortunate this time of year.

However, not everyone was in the Christmas spirit, no, for it seems there would always be a few scrooges –

GET ‘EM MILO!

“GET HER BURK!”

Or in this case, bickering couples armed with Gaia Memories.

On one side of the street stood a being made of diamond, held together by glimmering silver armor. Its head was diamond shaped, with sapphires that moved as if they were the Dopant’s eyes. Next to this Dopant was another, it had a humanoid body, but it definitely didn’t act like it. This creature had golden fur, with long fangs protruding from its mouth and equally long, sharp claws on its hands.

On the other side of the street was a being completely wrapped in burning flames, parts of his body were comprised of volcanic rock, if only to give an idea that this person was humanoid in shape. Next to him was a snarling, anthropomorphic dog. It had silver fur, with yellow, gleaming eyes, sharp teeth, and claws to match. The two animal Dopants charged for each other, slamming into one another as they met at the center. The saber-toothed Dopant’s fur began to spark as it released powerful electric discharges.

The Canine Dopant howled in pain as the electric shocks ran through its body, however, it was not deterred. The beast opened its maw and clamped its jaws around the Feline’s shoulder, causing sparks to fly as its fangs bit into its armor-like body. The Feline Dopant backed away, giving the Canine Dopant time to jump up, and roll up into a spinning ball. The Canine Dopant rammed itself into the Feline Dopant, bouncing off and then rebounding off a building to attack again.

Meanwhile, the diamond Dopant and fire Dopant were slinging long range attacks at each other. The diamond Dopant fired off several shards like a Gatling gun, the diamond hard shards tore through everything in their path, cars, cement, asphalt, metal, nothing stood in their way. The fire Dopant summoned a wall of intense flames that seemed to act as a good defense against the shards, the heat managed to melt the ice and snow that had accumulated.

Suddenly, a hail of laser arrows fell from the sky, causing the two animal Dopants to separate. Swooping down from the skies above was Kamen Rider Nasca, wielding Hawk in its Archer Mode. The diamond Dopant was blasted with several energy bolts at the same time as the fire Dopant, both stopped their attacks to see who was stupid enough to attack them.

On the left side of the street was Kamen Rider Trigger in his super form, Trigger SWAT. On the right was Kamen Rider Unicorn in her newest form, Unicorn Noir.

“You guys know it’s at least nine days until Christmas and you’re really doing this now of all times?!” Nasca asked.

Don’t look at me, it’s all HIS FAULT! The Diamond Dopant accused.

“ Ha! That’s rich coming from that gaudy thing! If anything, all of this is HER FAULT!” The Magma Dopant shot back.

Unicorn shook her head. “I’m sorry but did you two buy Gaia Memories for the explicit purpose of having some all-out lovers spat in the middle of the city?!”

“No, that’s what she’s doing! I’m here to – wait – why the hell should I tell you?!”

Because any other reason would be better than what you’re both doing right now, said Trigger.

The Diamond Dopant scoffed at Trigger. Please, what would you know about romance or anything.

A: I have a girlfriend, thank you very much. And B: she’s, like, the guru of love advice. So, I’ll tell you now, I KNOW.

Suddenly, the Magma Dopant had a flare go off over his head. “Okay, this works better. Why don’t we settle this with seeing who can take out the most Kamen Riders?!”

“What…?” Unicorn, Nasca, and Trigger uttered in confusion.

Wow, that’s probably the best idea you’ve had in a long time. Alright, I’m game!

“WHAT?!!” Unicorn, Nasca, and Trigger uttered in confusion, again.

“BURK!”

MILO

“GET TH E BIRDY!

The Feline and Canine Dopants glared up at Nasca. The speedster Rider looked at her fiery-electric wings and said,
“Ah crap, I’m the ‘birdy’!”

The two beasts jumped straight up for Nasca, but the winged Rider quickly ascended, narrowly dodging the beasts before they could get her. However, the Feline Dopant was already speedily running up the side of the building, and on the opposite end, the Canine Dopant was in his rolling buzzsaw ball form as it tore up the side the building on its way up. The Feline Dopant vaulted off the building and released bolts of golden lightning at Nasca, and once again, Nasca narrowly dodged the attacks and drew back on the bow to fire at the Feline. Unfortunately, the Canine Dopant used this chance to launch a sneak attack, hitting Nasca in the back as its metal-like fur scratched at Nasca’s armor.

Sparks flew from Nasca’s armor as she was sent flying into the same building that the Feline Dopant was on, smashing through a window and plowing through several desks before stopping. Nasca released Hawk, allowing it to transform back into its animal mode. The mech-animal looked at its wielder with concern before Nasca waved it off.

“Get out of here, if that thing’s electricity hits you, it’ll fry your circuits, and Twilight would kill me if that happened.” Hawk nodded and quickly flew up and away, finding a good vantage point for aerial recon. “Okay, sorry Shy, but these critters need some tough love!” Nasca declared as she took out the Accel Memory.

< ACCEL! >

{< ACCEL! MIMETIC DRIVE! >}

Crimson flames engulfed Nasca, transforming her into her super form, Nasca Full Throttle. The red armored Rider smirked as she watched the Feline Dopant enter through the broken window she was sent through. Nasca dashed towards the beast, her body catching fire and catching the Dopant off guard as she rammed into it sending both of them flying out the window. Nasca held out her hand and the sound of her motorcycle roared in the distance. In no time the motorcycle drove up the side the building and just as it neared Nasca, the bike revved up and charged towards her. As it did, the machine flipped and transformed, until it was now the Engine Blade. The speedster Rider caught the weapon and twisted the hilt.

<<<<< SPEED OF HEAT! >>>>>

The sword blade caught fire as Nasca flared her wings and flew at the Feline Dopant; she spun twice in the air and slashed the beast across its chest, creating a fiery gash that caused sparks to fly from its body as the Feline Dopant was sent flying down to the ground with a great BOOM. The Canine Dopant used this as an opportunity to attack Nasca from behind, but Nasca quickly revved the hilt again.

<<<<< SPEED OF SOUND! >>>>>

Nasca turned around and slashed rapidly at the spinning saw that was the Canine Dopant. Sparks flew from every rapid strike as the blows kept the beast at bay and gradually slowed him down. The Canine could no longer keep up that form and backed off to stand on both its legs, providing Nasca with the opening she needed. The winged Rider closed the distance between them and performed a spinout attack on the monster, slashing at the Dopant’s midsection at least five dozen times before sending the Canine flying to the other side of the street.

Meanwhile, Trigger was having a hard time damaging the Diamond Dopant; his Chrome Ultimatum was barely making a scratch on the Dopant’s dense body, the energy bolts deflected off in different directions, making him have to stop shooting at the enemy. Unicorn had used her Phantasm ability to try and sneak attack the Magma Dopant, but the Dopant ended that plan by releasing a fire wave that roared through the fog and struck Unicorn. Both Riders were pushed until their backs met, causing them to look over their shoulders to each other.

“Wanna change dance partners?” Unicorn asked.

Why not, Trigger answered.

Unicorn dashed towards the Diamond Dopant and swapped out her Gaia Memory.

< METAL! >

{< METAL! MIMETIC DRIVE! >}

Unicorn’s body shined with silver light, transforming her into Unicorn Iron Heart. The diamond Dopant thrust both of its arms forward and fired a barrage of diamond shards at Unicorn, to which she quickly responded by pressing the left hip port button twice.

\\ ARMOR UP! //

Unicorn’s armor doubled up and shined bright silver as the shards struck against her, all of them shattering like fragile glass. The Diamond Dopant continued to fire her barrage hoping that one of the shards would stop the hero, it didn’t.

\ METAL RING! /

Unicorn summoned her weapon, twirling it around on her arm before launching it at her opponent, the ring whizzed as it cut through the air and struck the left arm of the diamond Dopant sending sparks flying. The Dopant stopped her attack, looking at her left arm as cracks began to form on the surface and seemed to go deeper. The distracted Dopant realized too late that Unicorn had gotten much closer as the hero began to initiate her unique fighting method with her weapon. The Diamond Dopant made her arms form into blades as she attacked Unicorn, but the quick spins and fluid movements of Unicorn’s ring twirling made it impossible for the Dopant to land a damaging blow as the ring deflected and blocked each of her attacks.

On the other end, Trigger was battling the Magma Dopant, the creature slammed its hand against the pavement, causing the asphalt to boil and rumble as a stream of lava came rushing towards Trigger. The law enforcer Rider quickly jumped into the air, doing a back flip before landing on the opposite side. Trigger quickly pressed the “4” digit and then the “Enter” button.

/#\ SUPPRESSOR! /#\

The barrel of the Chrome Ultimatum began to glow as a construct formed around it. A blue light muzzle formed, attached to it was a hose that was connected to a light construct canister at the top of the weapon. Trigger smirked under his helmet as he took aim and fired; the Chrome Ultimatum launched a slushy substance that sailed as fast as a bullet at the Magma Dopant, hitting it in the face hard enough to make it topple over onto the street.

The substance spread downwards and began to cool off his fiery form. The Dopant looked at his body, panicking as he tried to shake off the slush. “W-What is this c-c-crap?!

Whenever I use the Suppressor, my helmet analyzes my opponent and deduces the best suppressing countermeasure for them; in your case it’s super extinguishing coolant.

The Magma Dopant focused his energy and made his flames erupt from his body, trying to overpower the coolant. But Trigger wasn’t giving him that option, taking aim once again and firing off several shots at the Dopant. Again and again the Dopant was hit, covering more of his body in the extinguishing substance, the flames were valiantly trying to overcome the coolant, but the constant barrage was proving to be too much to fight against as the flames were soon dying out.

“Let’s finish this!” Unicorn announced.

Roger that! Trigger affirmed.
“Oh yeah!” Nasca exclaimed. “Dillo!”

The robotic armadillo spun onto the battlefield, bouncing like a ball against the pavement and cement walls as it approached Nasca. The two animal Dopants merely entered defensive stances as they waited to see what was going to happen. Nasca took ‘Dillo into her left hand, taking out her Accel Memory, she swiftly inserted it into ‘Dillo’s port and closed it.

>} ACCEL! MAXIMUM DRIVE! {<

Nasca began dribbling ‘Dillo like a soccer ball, the two animal Dopants began following its movements, like a cat would see a ball of yarn or dog when it saw a ball. The winged Rider kicked ‘Dillo into the air and flared her wings to zoom up after him. Nasca’s right foot caught fire, burning a crimson color, at the same time, ‘Dillo spun out until he was a ball of scarlet red energy.

“BLAZE SHOOT!”

The winged Rider gave a mighty kick to the glowing sphere, setting it ablaze with crimson fire as it roared towards the Canine and Feline Dopants. The Feline Dopant released a lightning discharge but the attack was just parted down the middle. The Dog Dopant rolled up and tried to intercept, emphasis on tried as the moment they made contact the Dog Dopant was overpowered and taken away by the attack as both Dopants were hit with the fiery energy ball, ending in a bright red explosion as Nasca floated down to the ground. ‘Dillo popped out of the explosion, rolling up to Nasca as it ejected the Accel Memory back to her and looked at her with a happy expression.

“Good work, little buddy,” said Nasca as she petted the mech-animal. She then looked to where the Dopants fell and watched as they shifted forms, changing into an actual cat and dog as their Gaia Memories rose up from their bodies and shattered as soon as they hit the ground. “Ah man…Fluttershy’s going to give me an earful for this one…”

Unicorn continued her assault with her ring, pushing back the Diamond Dopant after causing several parts of her body to crack. The magic hero dismissed her ring and called out, “R0V3R!”

The Canine mech-animal ran in from, practically, out of nowhere and stood next to his master. “Sword and Shield Mode, go!”

The mech-animal barked as it jumped up and began transforming, detaching part of its body to act as the shield, while the other became a sword. Unicorn took the Metal Memory and inserted into the sword hilt.

>} METAL! MAXIMUM DRIVE! {<

Unicorn held her sword up high as it began to shine silver, creating a construct blade with several segmented teeth. After a second, those teeth began to move as it turned out the blade became a chainsaw.

“METAL DESTROYER!”

With one swing, Unicorn brought down the chainsaw sword, striking the Dopant on the head. The gnashing sound of metal cutting diamonds rang out as the blade cut straight down the Dopant, leaving a glowing gash before exploding in a brilliant sparkling explosion.

Trigger dialed a triple 4 and hit “Enter” on the Chrome Ultimatum.

}<^>{ 4-4-4, ENGAGE! }<^>{

}<^>{ SUPPRESSOR! MAXIMUM DRIVE! }<^>{

Azure light began to gather at the muzzle of the construct; Trigger ran at the Dopant and jumped as high as he could until he was right over the suspect.

SUPPRESSION BURST!

A flurry of light and foam roared out of the muzzle of the construct and bathed over the Dopant as he released the last torrents of flame he could muster. But it was all for nothing as the foam washed over him like a tidal wave, snuffing out the flames as it hardened. In the next few seconds, the foam shattered, and the Dopant’s body released several sparks before falling to the ground, reverting back to his human form before the Magma Memory exited his body and shattered.

All three Riders returned to their default forms and joined at the center, looking over their handiwork before nodding to each other. Nasca and Unicorn took off down the road, heading off back to their daily lives.

***____________<U>____________***

Back at Canterlot High, the girls were sitting at their usual table, with Sunset and Rainbow regaling their friends about their latest exploit. As expected, Fluttershy gave Rainbow Dash a verbal accosting for attacking the poor cat and dog, even though said cat and dog were not the cute little animals they turned back into when she fought them.

Trying to change the subject, Rainbow Dash blurted out, “So, who’s ready for the holidays?!”

Pinkie Pie was the first to pipe up. “Ooh, ooh, me! I am! My Mom, Dad, and sisters are all getting things together! I can’t wait!”

Applejack shrugged. “Same here, we really decked the halls at the house and barn, Ah can’t wait for Christmas dinner, goin’ to be a real feast.”

“Yes well, this year, I’m going to have a guest. Sunny Flare’s going to be spending the holidays with my family and I, apparently when your mother is Abacus Cinch, the spirit of Christmas was…shall we say…less than strong with her,” said Rarity. “But I’m looking forward to changing that!”

“Um, what are you doing for the holidays, Sunset?” Fluttershy asked.

Sunset looked as if she had tuned out during this part of the conversation, for when Fluttershy addressed her she shook her head and said, “Doing what now?”

“Christmas, she was asking what your plans are,” said Twilight.

“Oh…well, nothing really.”

The table went silent.

“Wait, what do you mean, ‘nothing’?” Rainbow asked.

“I mean nothing, I’m not really celebrating…actually, I haven’t at all since I’ve been here,” said Sunset in a matter-of-fact tone.

Pinkie Pie shook her head in disbelief. “W-What?! Why? Is it because Equestria doesn’t have Christmas?”

Sunset waved off that notion. “No, no, we have something similar. It’s called Hearth’s Warming. Actually, aside from the origins of the holiday, most of what you guys are doing as far as decorations is very similar.” Sunset looked around the table, seeing the concerned faces of her friends and knowing that she wasn’t going to get off easy after. “Look, the holidays are supposed to be a time where you’re with those you love, family and friends. I grew up an orphan back in Equestria, and since most of you here remember how I used to be when I came here, I didn’t have any family – or friends – to celebrate with.”

Sunset saw the increasingly sad looking faces of her friends but pressed on anyway. “When Princess Celestia adopted me and made her protégé she would throw Hearth’s Warming parties, I remember her inviting some foals from the orphanage to join me in celebrating for both the holiday and – EEP!” Sunset quickly slapped her hand over her mouth.

Twilight raised an eyebrow. “And what?”

Sunset groaned, having let that slip even a little. The amber girl sighed in defeat, knowing their next reaction would not be pleasant, for her. “It’s…Hearth’s Warming – Christmas here – is also the same date as my……brrrdrr.”

“Buh what?” Rainbow asked.

“My brrdrr.”

“It sounds like she’s saying, ‘her brother’?” Fluttershy asked.

“Ugh, it’s also my birthday, alright! Celestia used a spell to determine my actual age and found out I was born on Hearth’s Warming Day! Until she adopted me the orphanage never knew what my actual date of birth was…so she made those days a little extra special to celebrate the day and me…but of course, as I got older and became the power hungry, egotistical bitch that I was, I started to celebrate less and less, and again, when I came here, it was even less so.”

Every jaw dropped as they heard this stunning revelation, but out of the group, Pinkie Pie seemed the most shocked. She was the premier party planner of CHS, she knew every student’s birthday by heart, even the faculty birthdays, but out of all the students, Sunset Shimmer’s was the most elusive, and hidden. Now, after all this time, she’s missed out on planning one her bestest friend’s birthdays, and on such a special day, for the last couple of years.

Twilight was the first to regain her senses after that bombshell, realizing after a cursory glance of the table that no one here knew this either. “B-But, why wouldn’t tell anyone, or tell me?! I mean I was already going to get you a present, but now that I know it’s also your birthday?! How…I need to rethink my gift, what should I get, was there anything you had your eye on?!”

“Personally, I think you should just show up to her house dressed in nothing but a big red bow, with a card on next to her bed that says, ‘Merry Christmas/Happy Birthday’ on it.”

“Rainbow Dash!” Rarity scolded.

“Oh please, like you wouldn’t want Sunny Flare doing that, too!”

Rarity’s face blushed and found it hard to argue further. Twilight on the other hand seemed to be blushing hard as she turned to Sunset, who was also sporting a bright red blush.

“Um…i-if that’s something that you’d like then…” Twilight gulped. “I-I could…uh…”

Sunset shook the image of her girlfriend doing such a lewd thing for her, as clearly the idea of doing such a thing was making Twilight uncomfortable. The fiery redhead leaned to her right and hugged Twilight while nuzzling the top of her head. “Don’t worry, I won’t ask you to do anything like that. And the rest of you, don’t worry either. I don’t need anything extravagant, you’re all going to be spending time with your families, that’s what the holiday is about. Just enjoy your traditions and whatnot, it’ll just be another day like the past ones.”

Before any of them could offer protest, the bell rang.

“I got a class on the other side of the building, gotta run,” said Sunset as she picked up her tray left.

Leaving the rest of her friends to continue to wrestle with the idea that their friend has been spending the holidays and her own birthday alone.

***____________<U>____________***

Principal Celestia was busy with some paperwork, happy that winter break was about to start soon. Just then, six girls entered her office, causing her to look up at them as she glanced over at the clock. “I assume this is important, as you all should be in class right about now?” As she said that, Celestia’s expression grew serious. “Is this concerning you-know-what?”

“No, Principal Celestia, it’s not concerning anything hero related,” Twilight assured.

“Oh, well then, what is it?”

“It’s about Sunset, see, we just found out that she’s been spendin’ the holidays alone,” said Applejack.

Celestia’s expression began to sadden, but she did not look surprised.

“You knew, didn’t you, that Sunset was alone?” Rarity asked.

“Unfortunately, yes. I had offered before to have her over to our house for Christmas, hoping it would lighten her mood and make her feel included. However, each time she declined. I haven’t asked her recently because, well, now she has all of you, but judging from your expressions, she’s still planning on being alone, again,” said Celestia in a solemn tone.

“Yeah…well, apparently there’s something else that makes it even worse,” said Rainbow.

Celestia’s eyebrow raised as she asked, “How much worse?”

“IT’S ALSO HER BIRTHDAY!” Pinkie Pie screamed.

Celestia blinked in shock. “Oh…I…Oh my…I had fudged a date of birth based on her age, but…I never…”

“Yeah, so now you see why we came here, we gotta do something about this,” said Rainbow Dash.

Applejack sighed as she crossed her arms. “That’s goin’ to be harder then we think, Sunset can be a mite stubborn about certain things. We may just end up annoyin’ her if we try and push somethin’ onto her that she’s not comfortable with.”

“But we can’t just not celebrate her birthday or let her be alone on Christmas!” Pinkie stated.

“But, Sunset did have a point,” said Fluttershy. “When the break starts, we’ll all be with our families…it’ll be hard to really celebrate with her.”

Twilight remained silent as she pondered over a solution, when she looked to each of their friends the solution became clear. “Well…if we can’t individually go to her, why not bring her to our homes and celebrate with us?!”

“Oh, oh! Like a slumberparty?!” Pinkie asked.

“Sort of, we’ll let Sunset spend a day at each of our homes and let her join in our family traditions!” Twilight explained.

Everyone smiled at the idea, even Principal Celestia. Rainbow Dash walked over and draped her arm over Twilight’s shoulders as she said, “Well then, I say we save the best for last. On Christmas Eve, Sunset should spend it with you and your fam.”

“That’s actually a brilliant idea,” said Celestia.

“I’m in!” Pinkie chimed.

“Me too!” Rarity answered.

“Mm-hm,” Fluttershy nodded.

“Ah have no problem with it, but we still gotta run it by Sunset. It’ll all be a flop otherwise,” said Applejack.

Twilight pushed her glasses up and said with a confident smile, “Leave that to me.”

“Oooh, you’re going to go with the naked ribbon thing, aren’t you?” Rainbow asked.

“NO!”

***____________<U>____________***

It was the end of school, and today marked the start of the winter break. In a way, Sunset kind of disliked this break. Before she didn’t much care, it just meant not having to deal with the stress of keeping her iron fisted grip of the school and just relax. Of course, that was before her change of heart, now though, she kind of disliked it. School had been a place where she could see her friends, she drew comfort from being around them. And although Sunset could hang out with them outside of school, during this time frame, they were deep into their own celebrations with their families, or some were away visiting relatives and spending the holidays with them.

Now though, it was just her in her home. Get a grip Shimmer, you already decided that this was how it was going to be.

Just then, Sunset heard activity down below, she sat up in her bed and watched as Twilight entered her home. Sunset smiled as she saw her girlfriend make good use of the key she gave her. “Wow, just waltz right in why don’t you. No call or text? I could’ve been walking around naked for all you know.”

Twilight stopped in her tracks. “Oh dear, I’m sorry! I-I really should’ve called you before just coming over and barging in here! I mean, I know you gave me a key and told me to regard your home as my own, but–!”

“Sparky,” Sunset called out as she descended the stairs, “relax, I’m teasing. You don’t need my permission, when I told you to consider this place your home too, I meant it. Which means you don’t need to ask permission to enter your own home.”

Twilight smiled as she approached Sunset and gave her a kiss on the lips, an action that Sunset reciprocated as she wrapped her arms around Twilight and held her close. After a few seconds, the two separated and Twilight said, “I want to talk to you about something, and I’d like you to hear me out before you say anything, alright?”

Sunset sighed, she had a feeling what that “something” was about, but in the end, she sat down in the couch alongside Twilight. “Okay, shoot.”

Twilight took a breath and looked Sunset in the eyes. “I’m sure you know what I’m going to talk about, and before you say anything, I don’t like knowing that my girlfriend is going to – willingly – spend Christmas, which is also your birthday, alone! Principal Celestia told us that you decline her offers to spend Christmas with her, I can understand your reasoning before you changed, but not after. Please tell me, why?”

Sunset looked down at her hands for a moment before looking back at Twilight. Before telling Twilight her true feelings was kind of hard, but now, it was more comforting. “Alright…the truth is I feel as if I don’t deserve to celebrate either…” Sunset leaned back in her seat as she stared up at the ceiling. “All I’ve ever done was hurt those around me, mock and scorn them, humiliate and degrade, manipulate and threaten, my pride and my anger grew to the point that I believed I deserved everything that I ever wanted…and when I got the power I thought I so richly deserved…it turned me into a monster.”

“So then, after I realized all my mistakes…celebrating the holidays, my own birthday, felt wrong…who was I to celebrate and be happy when I caused so many people misery…? Even when things started to get better and people finally saw that I was changing myself and the way I acted around others, I still felt like celebrating was wrong…all that guilt…it stayed with me.”

Twilight looked as if she was going to cry, she reached out and hugged Sunset close to her as she spoke, “You don’t need to carry that guilt anymore. You’ve made peace with your adopted mother, you saved your home world, you saved, this city, and a lot of people, Sunset. Not to mention you saved this world twice before ever becoming a Kamen Rider. Sunset, I can’t make you not feel guilty, but I like it if you’d finally let some of it go. Because I want to spend the holidays with you, and I want to celebrate the day when the most important person in my life was born.”

“Twilight…” Sunset sniffled.

“Not just me either, all our friends want to too. They want you to spend a day with them at each of their houses, share in their family traditions. Because the truth is, Sunset Shimmer, our friends consider you family.”

Sunset eyes began to water as she bit her lip, trying not to let the emotional weight of that statement crush her, but the dam was breaking as she let out soft sobs, crying into Twilight’s shoulder as the bespectacled girl rubbed Sunset’s back soothingly. After a minute, Sunset wiped her eyes and smiled at Twilight.

“Will you do that? Will you let us celebrate the day of your birth? Will you spend the holidays with all of us?” Twilight asked.

Sunset sniffled a bit more and wiped her eyes. “Geez, when you lay it on that heavy, I kind of have to.”

“Thank you,” said Twilight.

“Do you mind staying a little while longer? I kind of want to be cuddled,” said Sunset in a bashful tone.

Twilight smiled broadly. “Sure.”

Sunset nuzzled into the crook of her girlfriend’s shoulder as Twilight embraced her. The amber girl sighed in content as a grin graced her lips. “You know, I wouldn’t mind if you did do that ribbon thing that Dash said earlier.”

“You really are a pervert.”

“And you love me for it.”

“Debatable.”

“I didn’t hear ‘no’~”

“I said debatable!”

After about half an hour of cuddles, Twilight bid her girlfriend farewell and headed home via the bus. Before that, she made a note to contact Starlight Glimmer, it helped that the CEO seemed to drop everything whenever any of them called.

[Hello, Twilight.]

“Hello, Starlight.”

[Sunset, Shining, and Rainbow made quick work of those Dopants today. Not the best, but I wasn’t really looking to create a long-term problem this close to the holiday weekend.]

“Speaking of, that’s why I’m calling. It’s about Sunset.”

[What’s wrong, is she okay?]

It made Twilight a little sick to know that despite Starlight’s distribution of the Gaia Memories to dangerous people, she still cared for the safety of both herself, Sunset, and their friends. What made it worse was the fact that Starlight did seem to care about them, which was what she was banking on right now.

“She’s fine, but I’m calling to ask a favor.”

[Okay.]

“For one: please refrain from distributing anymore Gaia Memories, the last thing anyone needs is to worry for their life on the holidays.”

[I can abide by that, I wish to celebrate as well so that last little batch was the last I’ll be letting loose until after the new year or so.]

Unfortunately, that gives me only a mild sense of comfort. “Okay, second…well…we just discovered that Sunset’s birthday is coming up.”

[Wait what?! Her birthday, and you just found out?!]

“She’s been keeping it a secret from everybody, mostly out of guilt for her past actions. But now she’s willing to let us celebrate it, and it’s on the twenty fifth.”

[That’s Christmas! Oh, wow…uh…I need to think a good gift then…]

“Part of that would be no Dopant attacks. So, I thank you for that, and I just thought you should be aware. For whatever reason, you seem to care about us, despite everything that you’re doing. So…as a friend, I thought you should know,” said Twilight.

[……Thank you, Twilight.]

***____________<U>____________***

Sunset revved her bike as she drove down the long highway. According to Twilight, Sunset would be spending the day at each of their friend’s house, ending with Sunset spending Christmas Eve and Day at Twilight’s home. Truth be told, Sunset was giddy at the idea of spending time with her friends like this, being allowed to share in their family traditions and welcomed as part of their families, it almost made Sunset cry, again.

The first part of this journey would be spent at the Apple Family Farm. Sunset got off the highway and onto the street where Applejack’s farm and home was. She passed through the gate which was already decorated with gold and silver tinsel and had a large wreathe hanging from the top of it. Sunset continued her drive in and saw the house was completely decked out. Lights were strung all around the modest farm house, with a scarecrow dressed as Santa Claus, a sleigh, and few reindeer cutouts to round out the image.

Sunset pulled up to the house and parked her bike, she dug through her saddle bags and pulled out some additional supplies for her overnight stay and slung her backpack over her shoulders before she walked up the porch and right to the front door. Taking a deep breath, Sunset raised her right hand to knock at the door, but was beaten to the punch when the door swung open and Sunset suddenly found herself in the midst of a bone crushing hug.

“Howdy, Sunset! Heard that bike a yers comin’ a mile away!” Applejack exclaimed happily.

Sunset, having been lifted off the ground by AJ’s natural strength, wheezed as she struggled to say, “T-Thanks AJ – gasp – but if you – oomph! – don’t let me go – gasp – I won’t live long enough to see Christmas Eve!”

Applejack released Sunset, letting her boots hit the ground as she backed up a bit and rubbed the back of her neck in embarrassment. “Oops, sorry there, got excited and all.”

“It’s no big deal, when you’re friends with Pinkie Pie, you better expect a hug of that caliber or higher, right?” Sunset asked.

“You can say that again,” Applejack concurred, having been on the receiving end of such powerful hugs herself. “Well come on in then, Ah got the guest room all set up fer ya.”

Sunset had been to the Apple Family house a few times in the past, but this was her first time seeing it all decked out for the holidays. The weather was cold, so the fireplace was already set aflame, giving the inside a nice warm and toasty feeling, Sunset had to take off her leather jacket upon entering as she could already feel the heat. Off to the side she noticed there was a box filled with ornaments, glittering from the light of the fire. Red, blue, silver, and gold spheres, along with tinsel and a few little figurines of Santa, reindeer, turtledoves, and other knickknacks.

“Um, AJ, I’m not sure if it’s the same here, but isn’t there supposed to be a tree?” Sunset asked.

“Oh that, yeah, we’ll gettin’ to that here soon,” Applejack informed, a grin split her face as she explained this.

Sunset was led to the guest bedroom where she was able to unload her luggage. “Um, AJ, thank you, for all of this.”

“Ain’t no thanks necessary, Sunset. This is somethin’ that we shoulda been doin’ with ya a long time ago. Ah’m just sorry that we didn’t see it sooner,” said Applejack.

“To be honest, I wasn’t being very forthtelling about it. Really, when I think about all I’ve done in the past, I didn’t think I deserved to be a part of any of this, a celebration of family, love, and friendship, it didn’t seem right for someone who shunned all that to join in its celebration,” said Sunset with a somber tone.

Applejack walked up to Sunset and gave her a hug, although this one was less pain inducing and more on the warm and comforting side. “Never think that, Sunset. We meant what we said back at the Fall Formal, sure you didn’t show that, you worked at it, and now everyone looks to ya as someone they can aspire to be. So, stop doubtin’ yerself, ya hear?”

Sunset gently broke the hug and nodded. “Okay, I’ll try, but you’re talking to a girl who has a lot of emotional baggage.”

“Eh, we can manage, now come on downstairs. Granny’s got a meal ready fer us and y’all will need yer strength,” said Applejack.

***____________<U>____________***

After a hearty meal from the matriarch of the Apple Family, Sunset, Big Macintosh, Apple Bloom, Applejack, and Granny Smith went on a little trip in the family pickup. Granny sat upfront with Big Mac driving, while Applejack, Apple Bloom, and Sunset rode in the back. Sunset breathed in the deep scent of the orchard as the headed down the dirt path, looking at the trees that were barren of their leaves.

“So where are we going?” Sunset asked.

“We’re headin’ to a spot on the farm where we’ve been growin’ some pine trees. Once in a while, we all head out as a family and go and pick out the best lookin’ one, chop it down, and haul it back to the house where we decorate it.”

“Wow, and you do this every year?” Sunset asked.

Apple Bloom shook her head. “Nah, not every year, we’d probably have cleared all the trees out by now. We only do this on special occasions, like if we had a good harvest year, or if somethin’ special happened and we wanted to make it with a homegrown pine.”

Sunset nodded. “That makes sense, so was it a good harvest year for you guys?”

“It was good, but that’s not why we’re cuttin’ one down this year,” said Apple Bloom.

Sunset raised an eyebrow at that. “Oh, well then, what’s the occasion? Big Mac finally get proposed to?”

“Nope!” Big Mac called out from the front.

Applejack chuckled as her friend failed to see the obvious reason. “Sug, it’s you.”

Sunset’s eyes widened with surprise. “W-What?! Me?! I – why?”

“Considerin’ everythin’ ya’ve done as our friend, and some other things, I figured you were long overdue, birthday girl,” said Applejack. “After today, consider yerself an honorary member of the Apple Family.”

Sunset’s heart swelled, she tried to look away to not let her friend see her crying, but in the back of a pickup, that was easier said than done. The strong redhead sniffled as she said, “Thank you, Applejack.”

Apple Bloom looked to Sunset and then to Applejack, and then she got a mischievous grin. “Now, Big Sis, what do ya mean exactly by ‘other things’?”

Applejack looked at Apple Bloom quizzically as she unscrewed a bottle of water. “Just some things between friends that
don’t need to be said aloud and are private, alright?”

“Uh-huh……So does Twilight know that Big Sis is yer mistress?”

Applejack’s reaction was expected, she spit out her water which made Sunset and Apple Bloom cover themselves as the wind carried it away. After composing herself a little, Applejack glared at her little sister and said, “It ain’t like that! We’re friends AB! ‘Sides, Sunset wouldn’t ever do that to Twilight!”

Sunset looked to AB and the two shared a conspiratorial glance. “I don’t know, I wouldn’t mind exploring my options, and I always did find that southern drawl of yours sexy.”

Applejack blushed as she turned her glare onto Sunset. “Oh, now don’t you start that too!”

A series of laughs and giggles could be heard as the truck continued down the road. After a good thirty-minute drive the truck stopped at a little clearing, a smaller dirt path led further into the grove of trees, showing the contrast between the pine and apple trees.

Big Mac and Applejack carried the axes as the group walked down the road, Sunset could already smell the strong scent of pine wafting through the air as they approached, coming to the end of the road where a grove of pine trees stood healthy and tall.

“Wow…” Sunset spoke in awe. “Which one are we cutting down?”

“There’s one in particular I think would be good fer this occasion, but consarnit meh memory ain’t what it used to be. Ah know it’s in there, but exactly where, eh,” said Granny Smith with a shrug.

“Why don’t we walk around a bit, maybe it will jog your memory?” Sunset suggested.

“Sounds like a plan to me, Sunny girl! Let’s head out, but be careful in there, easy to get yerself turned around,” Granny Smith warned.

The four teenagers entered the grove, with Granny Smith tagging along with Apple Bloom. Sunset entered the dense pine grove, making sure she kept the others in her sight and trying not stray too far. Worse came to worse Sunset could always transform and fly above the trees or teleport everyone out of the grove.

As Sunset headed further in, she could’ve sworn she saw someone up ahead. “Hey, Applejack, I think there’s someone…” When Sunset looked to her right where she had been keeping her friend in earshot, she noticed she was gone. “Oh great, already got lost.”

Sunset looked up ahead and noticed the figure was still there. She hoped it was Granny Smith, judging by the height, but she still remained on guard. The former unicorn slowly advanced towards the being, coming to a small clearing where the sunlight pierced through the canopy enough to light up the figure.

It was an elderly woman, her complexion was mint green, she had wrinkles, but this woman had aged gracefully. Her hair was curly, and was a light-pink color, her eyes were gentle mauve color, with thin framed yellow glasses. The elderly woman had a maroon colored shawl draped over her that had a bell hooking it, with a simple cream-colored dress, and a cane that looked to be carved from a tree branch.

“Hello? Are you alright? I’m–”

“Sunset Shimmer,” the old woman interrupted, “‘bout time you got her girl, I was gonna catch a cold waitin’ for ya.”

Sunset blinked. “Um, do I know you miss…?”

The old woman blew a raspberry. “None of that ‘miss’ stuff with me, you can just call me Aurora.”

“Oh, okay, um, may I ask why you’re out here? Although this is a large area, it’s still private property,” said Sunset.

“I know that, that young Apple girl’s taken care of this land with her family for generations, probably out live even me, heh, heh!” Aurora cackled.

Sunset scratched her head at Aurora’s words. “Wait, you know Granny Smith?”

Aurora began walking further into the grove, the old woman waved for Sunset to follow, and, without much else to do, she followed. “Heh, oh indeed, well, her and many others. Sadly many of them have passed away, gone on to rest after a long life.”

“Oh, I’m sorry to hear that,” said Sunset.

“Ah, don’t be, life is the greatest gift of them all, Sunset! Fragile, powerful, and finite. But all are remembered, because that life is not just a gift to the that one person alone, no ma’am, it is a gift to everyone, for all the other lives that one can touch.”

Sunset understood the wisdom of Aurora’s words. “Unfortunately, part of my life was spent either shunning or making others lives miserable.” Without warning Aurora struck Sunset’s shin with her cane, making the amber girl yelp in pain. “OW! What the hay! Why did you do that for?!”

“Take it from me, Sunset, if ya get too hung up on the past, ya never learn anything. Just like that little thwap I just gave ya. You can either gripe and moan at how much it hurt, or ya can learn from it!”

Aurora took another swing at Sunset’s shin, but Sunset was quick enough to move her leg out of the way and allow the cane to whizz by. The elderly woman gave a smirk of satisfaction at seeing this.

“See, the past can give us many gifts, so long as you’re willing to learn,” said Aurora sagely.

Sunset smirked at the old lady, understanding what she was getting at. “Alright, alright, I get it. My past is my past, I should learn from my mistakes and work to never repeat them.”

“Eh, kinda hard not to, the past often repeats itself, but sometimes you can change it a little and come out on top, as you have, my dear.” Aurora stopped walking and pointed her cane straight ahead. “Ha, there it is!”

Sunset followed to where Aurora was pointing and saw that there was a pine tree standing proudly in small clearing up ahead. But when Sunset looked back to her right, Aurora was gone. Suddenly, Sunset felt a hand touch her right shoulder, making her immediately jump up and enter a fighting stance.

“Whoa now, simmer down Sunset, it’s just me!” Applejack stated.

“Oh…sorry, I just…” Sunset looked around, but could find no sign of Aurora. “AJ, did you see anyone with me a second ago?”

“Nope, Ah’ve been lookin’ fer ya fer a minute now, you went and disappeared on us and Ah was gettin’ a little worried you’d gotten lost in here.”

“Ya find, her Sis?!” Apple Bloom called out.

Applejack turned in the direction of her little sister’s voice. “We’re over here, she’s okay!”

A few seconds later, Big Mac, Granny, and AB entered their field of vision. Granny Smith gave a loud, triumphant yell as she pointed straight ahead. “There she is! That’s the one Ah was lookin’ fer! Grew up into nice big one too!”

The group gathered around the tree seeing it in all its splendor, however, Sunset couldn’t help but look over her shoulder, wondering who that old woman, Aurora, was?

“Ya got good luck on yer side, Sunny. Ya found the tree!” Granny Smith exclaimed.

“It was just…dumb luck,” Sunset lied nervously.

“Well then, guess that means you take the first swing,” said Big Mac as he handed Sunset the ax.

“Try not to cut it down in one shot! AJ and Mac always do that, and Ah never get a turn!” Apple Bloom whined in annoyance.

“Oh, hush now, if Sunset does, then it just means she’s a strong girl is all, and ‘sides, that only happened once,” said Applejack.

“Right and it just so happened to be the year Ah was old enough to swing the ax.”

“Now you two, enough of yer gibber jabber, let’s let Sunny here take a swing!” Granny insisted.

Sunset looked at the pine tree as she set herself up. She hefted the ax up and took a good swing, hitting the base of the tree and making it shake from the impact. Big Mac whistled when he noticed how deep the cut went, Sunset almost cut the whole thing down in one swing. Sunset looked at her work and was dumbfounded at how strong she had gotten recently. But after seeing the damage she did, there was no way it would stand up for more than one more swing, and with Applejack and Big Mac, either one would be able to finish the job. Then again…

“AB,” Sunset held out the ax to the youngest Apple, “you wanna finish this? Oh, unless, there’s an order to this or something?”

Granny Smith shook her head. “Nope, Deary, the one holdin’ the ax gets to decide who takes the next swing, so have at youngin’!”

“Thank you, Sunset!” Apple Bloom exclaimed as she rushed over and hugged the amber girl tightly.

After that fierce hug, Sunset gave the ax to Apple Bloom, and as predicted, the tree fell after the final hit from Apple Bloom. Big Mac and Applejack went to work getting the tree ready to haul back to the truck, and while she waited, Sunset stood beside Granny Smith and asked, “Um, Ms. Smith?”

“None ah that now, yer an honorary family member, ya can call me Granny, child.”

Sunset’s cheeks reddened as she fought to keep another round of happy tears from falling. “Um, Granny, I think I saw someone out here…it was an elderly woman, she said her name was Aurora…do you know someone by that name?”

A small grin appeared on Granny Smith’s face. “Huh, said her name was ‘Aurora’, huh?”

“Do you know her?”

“Oh yes, and no. She’s always around, comes to folks when they think they’re lost,” said Granny Smith.

“Wait…is she a…a ghost?” Sunset asked.

“Not quite, Sunny girl, she ain’t yer typical spirit, that’s fer sure.” Granny cackled lightly as if she had just told a joke and she was just waiting for Sunset to get the punchline.

Sunset wasn’t sure what to make of this, she knew there was magic rising in this world, but, maybe it was already there and was just waiting for the moment to surge back into the world? The amber girl took one last look over her shoulder and saw Aurora standing at the tree line. Aurora gave a kind smile before vanishing in a wisp of mint colored light.

With the fact that she may have seen a spirit out firm in her mind, Sunset helped Applejack and Big Mac haul the tree to the pickup, it was up to Applejack, Sunset, and Apple Bloom to make sure the tree didn’t jostle around too much. Once they got back, Granny Smith went to work making dinner while the teens began trimming the tree. Unboxing the ornaments and hanging them upon the tree with care and threading the lights through the branches and around it to make it glow.

The whole thing took a few hours to do, especially when you take into account the hauling of the tree into the house then the decorations on top of it. When all was said and done, the tree was standing tall in their living room, lit up nice and bright. Although, Sunset couldn’t help but notice one spot was vacant.

“Um, aren’t you supposed to have a star or something at the top? I know back in Equestria we usually have a star or the Fire of Friendship burning over it, but I’m not sure if you do something different,” Sunset asked.

“Nah, we do put a star up, it’s one that’s passed down through the Apple Family, and it’s right here.” Big Macintosh pulled out the topper in question. It was a golden star, plain and simple, with a red apple at the center of the star.

Big Mac handed the star to Apple Bloom, who proceeded to get on her big brother’s broad shoulders as he hoisted her up to the top where the youngest Apple was able to place their family heirloom on the tree. Sunset smiled as she looked upon the completed tree, and only one word came to mind. Perfect.

Once she was back on the ground, Apple Bloom walked up to Sunset and asked, “You really do come from another world right, a pony one?”

“Yeah, I do.”

“And you said yer world has a Christmas too?”

“Eh, sort of, it’s called Hearth’s Warming Eve, it’s one-part story and another part history,” Sunset explained.

Apple Bloom tugged at Sunset’s sleeve as she asked. “Can ya tell us?”

Sunset was caught off guard by that. “W-Wha, you want to hear a story from my world?”

“Truth be told, ya haven’t really told any of us a whole lot about Equestria. Ah’m curious too,” said Applejack as she sat down in the couch.

Big Mac followed suit as he pulled up a footrest and sat ready to listen.

“Gonna be a few minutes before the main course is ready, so Ah reckon Ah can listen in, should be interestin’,” said Granny Smith as she sat in her rocking chair.

Sunset looked around the room at the expectant faces of the Apple Family, all of them waiting to hear the story of Hearth’s Warming Eve. A wide smile formed on Sunset’s lips as she sat back and took a breath. “Okay…This is tale not only of how the land of Equestria was founded, but also how the warmth of unity and friendship won over the bitter cold of hatred. A long time ago there lived three tribes the Pegasi, who controlled the weather, the Unicorns who changed the seasons with their magic, and the Earth Ponies who harvested the land…”

***____________<U>____________***

After spending time at Applejack’s, Sunset was then moved to another of her friend’s houses, that being Rarity’s. The fashionista was ecstatic to have Sunset spend a day in the life of her holiday family cheer. Of course, that meant a never-ending parade of Rarity’s parents, Hondo and Cookie, embarrassing their eldest daughter by doting on her and their youngest, Sweetie Belle, and generally embarrassing their daughters. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on your point of view, Sunny Flare was enjoying the embarrassing doting of Rarity’s parents along with Sunset, both girls getting a giggle at their antics.

Their holiday tradition was a shopping spree, apparently Rarity’s family was wealthy, although not obscenely wealthy, more like well-off compared to others. So, they could afford to shop for more expensive gifts, and afford to renovate one of their garages into Rarity’s own work studio.

Closer to the afternoon hours, in a rather surprising act of charity and generosity, Rarity’s family would volunteer at soup kitchens buy gifts for families who were having hard times and couldn’t afford something nice for their children.
After making the second trip to another shelter, Sunset said, “I didn’t know you guys did this every year?”

“Oh of course, my father and mother’s families weren’t exactly on stable financial ground growing up, so when they both got good jobs and good money, they decided that they wouldn’t forget how that felt and made sure that Sweetie and I didn’t either. I guess they didn’t want us to grow up to become snobs and look down on others because they weren’t as well-off as us,” Rarity explained.

“I can see that, I mean, you do exhume the air of a girl who’s used to the finer things. Some people might think that you’re spoiled,” said Sunset.

“Oh, I am, Darling, but I make sure not to let it go to my head. After all, we’re not rich like Diamond Tiara’s father or…ahem…Starlight Glimmer, but we definitely live in luxury for sure. Besides, showing generosity to those in need is never to be seen as something below someone, it’s something that we should all strive to do.”

***____________<U>____________***

After spending the day with Rarity’s family, her next stop was Fluttershy’s home. The reception was…mixed. When she arrived, Fluttershy greeted her with all the warmth and kindness one would expect from her, Mr. and Mrs. Shy on the other hand greeted her with a bit of a nervous smile. Really though, Sunset couldn’t blame them for being nervous around her. Fluttershy had essentially invited her former bully to come and spend the day with them.

How many times had their daughter come home crying because of her bullying of Fluttershy? How many hours had they spent comforting their daughter because her? How many times did they have to rebuild Fluttershy’s already low self-esteem only to have it all torn down the following day? From what Sunset could recall, too many times. To this day, Sunset still didn’t know why she picked on Fluttershy a little more than the other students, there was just something about Fluttershy back then that infuriated her every time she looked at the shy girl that just made Sunset want to go over to her and tear her down.

Now on the flipside, there was Fluttershy’s younger brother, Zephyr Breeze. Despite being the little brother, puberty had hit him like a ton of bricks. A massive growth spurt put him as the tallest member of the family, standing a head above Sunset. For a boy of fifteen he was already sporting the shadow of a shaven face, although he was a lanky looking boy, that didn’t seem to dent his confidence in the least. As evidenced when Sunset walked in.

“Well, Sunset Shimmer, it’s been a while,” said Zephyr.

“Hey Zeph,” Sunset greeted plainly.

“Spending the day with us, heh, heh, I guess my animal magnetism was too much to resist,” said Zephyr with a wiggle of the brow.

Fluttershy groaned loudly as she gave her little brother a glare. Sunset liked seeing this side of Fluttershy, while she wasn’t that assertive with some things, when it came to her little brother, she became the definition of a big sister. Scolding him when he did something stupid – which was every time, dragging him away when she felt he was going overboard with something.

“I thought you were after Rainbow Dash? Did you give up?” Sunset asked.

“Oh no, I haven’t, but that don’t mean I can’t play the field and keep my options open y’know?” Zephyr asked as he slid up beside Sunset and draped an arm over her shoulders.

“Zephyr Breeze!” Fluttershy scolded.

Sunset picked Zephyr’s arm up and ducked under it. “Thanks, I’m flattered. But I’m currently off the market, and I wouldn’t want to hurt Twilight’s feelings.”

Zephyr blinked. “O-Oh, you, uh, ya, sure! Heh, heh, completely slipped my mind that you two were a thing.”

Fluttershy reached up and pulled her little brother’s ear and brought him down to her level. “Oh please, you knew she was with Twilight, you seriously have no tact! She’s a guest here, so behave yourself!”

“Ow, ow, yeah, sure, whatever ya say Sis! Ow!” Fluttershy released the poor boy as she rubbed his earlobe. “I’ll just, go and make sure the guest room’s all done up for ya!”

Zephyr scurried away upstairs, prompting Fluttershy to follow after him. When Sunset asked where she was going she said, “I’m just going to make sure he doesn’t do anything stupid-er.”

Now that the two were away, Sunset sighed and decided to address the elephant in the room. “Um, Mr. Shy, Mrs. Shy, may I speak with you?”

“S-Sure, dear,” Mrs. Shy answered as she led them to the living room.

Fluttershy’s parents sat in the couch across from Sunset, this was something that Sunset had always meant to do but was afraid to. Out of all her friends, she caused Fluttershy the most misery, she half expected them to flat out deny the amber girl entry into their house, or possibly use it as an excuse to release their pent-up frustration about everything she put Fluttershy through. But, she knew she had to get this out there.

“Mr. Shy, Mrs. Shy, I should’ve done this a long time ago…Saying I’m sorry for everything that I did to Fluttershy is not enough, and I know it will never be enough. I cannot imagine the number of times Fluttershy’s come home crying because of my actions…but I have been trying to make up for it, I’ve tried to be a better person and a better friend to her and everyone around me. I know Fluttershy probably told you why she wanted me over, but I’ll understand if you want me to leave.”

The two adults looked at each other and then back at Sunset, they were surprised to see genuine remorse from this girl. Fluttershy had told them of how Sunset Shimmer had changed since the Fall Formal, but they never imagined this much. Although there was one burning question they had.

“Sunset Shimmer, why did you target out daughter?” Mrs. Shy asked.

Sunset felt heart hurt at hearing Fluttershy’s mother ask that question, she made to open her mouth and answer, but was beaten to the punch.

“I know.” All eyes moved towards the stairs were Fluttershy stood, smiling at them kindly. “Although, Sunset may not have realized it herself after so long. I think I understand why you singled me out so much more.”

Sunset shook her head in confusion. “You do…?”

“Yes, in your own, ahem, twisted way, you were trying to make me be more assertive.” Fluttershy walked into the living room and sat down next to Sunset as she looked her in the eyes. “I was always a crybaby, soft-spoken, a practical doormat for others. Although you were mean back then, I think you wanted to make me stronger.”

“Honey, that’s…” Mr. Shy began.

“No, Daddy, that’s what I’ve come to understand. Yes, I cried, and yes, my feelings were hurt, but I knew that I needed to be stronger, because there may be worse people I would have to deal with in the future wherever I go, or someone like Sunset. I remember, it was one time, but after we had one of our… ‘talks’…you looked over your shoulder at me and you looked sad. You wanted me to fight back, to at least show some resistance.”

Sunset rubbed the back of her neck as she looked down at her knees. “I think you’re giving me too much credit there Shy, I wasn’t a nice person back then, even less so back in my original home…”

“Can’t you defend yourself even once?! You’re such a doormat, are you going to let everyone just walk all over you? You really are a loser! Try it sometime and maybe I get bored of you!” Fluttershy yelled, making everyone look at her in shock. “Those were the words you spoke to me a long time ago, I always held onto them, analyzing them. It was different from the usual things you had said, and that’s when I understood. You wanted me to be stronger.”

Sunset thought back, back to the day she remembered saying those words. It was after she saw Fluttershy fail at another attempt at recruiting volunteers for her animal shelter, Sunset was practically fresh to the human world, and while Sunset had nothing against animals, neither did she see a reason to do anything positive in this magicless world that she’d soon leave. Still, she didn’t see why others couldn’t spend a little time taking care of some small creatures. Sunset attributed it to Fluttershy’s lack of confidence, it wasn’t any secret that the boys of the school found her cute, and hot, but apparently Fluttershy didn’t look to use her natural allure to her advantage, so much potential and all of it wasted.

That’s when Sunset started bullying Fluttershy, yes, she wanted Fluttershy to become stronger, to finally stand up to her, the true meaning had just gotten lost under a mountain of anger, pride, and ego. “I’m sorry, Fluttershy…”

Fluttershy reached out and held Sunset’s hands in her own, “Christmas is the time of kindness and forgiveness, where we open our hearts to others. I forgave you a long time ago, I think it’s time you did as well.”

Sunset started to cry, feeling like a total fool bawling in front of her friend’s parents. Fluttershy brought Sunset close and hugged her tightly, letting the normally strong girl show some weakness. Mr. and Mrs. Shy couldn’t help their own tears from falling as they watched this, Sunset had truly felt bad about her actions, and they saw firsthand how much of a saint their daughter was.

“Thanks, Shy.”

Fluttershy patted her head and said, “Anytime.”

Sunset sat back up and wiped her tears away before she addressed the two adults. “Again, I’m sorry for all I did to her, good or bad, it was no excuse to make her feel that way…”

“We understand,” said Mr. Shy.

“You’ve seemed to have been through a lot of self-reflection, haven’t you?” Mrs. Shy asked.

“Yeah, a whole lot,” Sunset answered.

“Well…” Mrs. Shy stood up and walked over to the couch, and in a surprising gesture, brought Sunset into a hug. “You’re definitely quite the young lady, Sunset Shimmer. I’m glad my daughter is friends with you.”

Sunset hugged Mrs. Shy back and spoke softly, “Thank you.”

PreviousChapters Next