• Published 23rd Jul 2017
  • 7,503 Views, 650 Comments

Kamen Rider Unicorn - Michael_Ravencroft



Items of power thought destroyed have found their way to a parallel world. And the only one who can stop the coming danger, is a masked rider.

  • ...
11
 650
 7,503

PreviousChapters Next
R: Requiem for a Dream / Something's not right

Alas summer vacation had ended, and school had started up once again. For many it was both the start of their high school life and the end of their high school life. Yes, the sad truth was that for the “Mane 7”, this was their last year Canterlot High School. But that was pushed to the back of their minds for the time being, there were still classes to be taken, and Kamen Rider business to do. Since the Injury Dopant incident, and Sunset’s finding of Kamen Rider Equal’s true identity, and Equal’s subsequent learning of hers, there hadn’t been any Dopant incidents to date.


The month of August had come and gone without incident, no reports of Dopant related activity from the police, or from what Twilight could gleam from her brother’s hacked computer files, an act that still made her feel dirty, violating her BBBFF’s personal computer and viewing his secure police files. But the occasional consoling and kisses from her girlfriend helped to ease the worry.


Classes went on, laughs were shared, groans of excess homework were made (along with excited glees from a certain nerdy genius girl), and of course Rainbow Dash excelling in every practice for every sports team she was on. It was the middle of the afternoon, not long before school let out. Sunset and Twilight shared a joint free period, so they decided to spend it together. The two geniuses took out their homework in the first 10 – 20 minutes of the period, and chilled for the remaining twenty-five. However, Twilight decided to bring up a certain matter up for discussion.


“Sunset?” Twilight tentatively asked.


“What’s up?” Sunset replied.


“I…I think we should come clean to my brother.”


Sunset raised an eyebrow. “I thought we did, you know, last month at your house when we made it official to your parents that we’re a thing?”


Twilight shook her head and said, “No, not that. I mean…that your Unicorn.”


Sunset nearly fell out of her chair upon hearing that. “Wha-What, why?!”


“Sunset, we know that Starlight Glimmer is Equal, and the one behind the Dopant incidents. We still don’t know what her objective is, why she’s in search of the T2s and is creating the T1s. While we can’t control what the T2s do or who they attach themselves to, we can get rid of one factor that we can control. And that’s destroying the place that creates them.”


Sunset knew that this was going to come up, honestly, she was surprised that Twilight had left it alone as long as she did, but still…


“I know that, but Twilight, the moment I do, your brother is going to throw me in jail,” said Sunset.


“W-W-We don’t know that for sure!” Twilight rebutted. “Will he be suspicious of you? Yes, but if you help to take down Starlight and expose her, then he’ll go after a bigger fish and might just sweep this under the rug! Besides, with everything that you’ve done for the city, the public would be behind you one-hundred percent, no way you’d be taken in!”


Sunset sighed, “That’s just wishful thinking, Twi. Look, say I come clean and tell him. Then what? I’m very much the definition of an illegal alien, emphasis on the alien part. Investigations would show that I don’t belong in this world, so even if – by some small miracle – I don’t get taken in by the cops for vigilantism, I’ll definitely be taken in because I’m in this world illegally, and then come the Area 51 experiments and dissections!”


Twilight deadpanned. “Sunset, you’ve been watching too many sci-fi movies. And this is coming from your girlfriend who loves them. There is no ‘Area 51’.”


“Until you came to CHS, you didn’t even know that other dimensions existed, and you’re currently dating a denizen from said parallel dimension. So how do you know, for sure, that that isn’t real, too?!” Sunset argued.


Twilight opened her mouth to counter but found Sunset’s arguments to have some merit. There was still a lot about this world, and others, that Twilight didn’t know about, and the fact that that there are other worlds out there with Kamen Riders battling against ancient, demonic, and sometimes extraterrestrial forces, it left the number of possibilities open as to what was truth and what was fantasy.


“I understand your wanting to tell your big brother what’s going on, I know you don’t like lying to him, but this is something that we have to play by ear.” Especially since Starlight’s the one who gave Shining Armor his Driver…


That was probably the one thing that worried Sunset the most. Starlight gave Shining Armor a Driver belt to fight against the monsters she created, and, possibly, as a way to keep Unicorn in check should something arise to the point of needing that extra bit of power. Sunset scooted closer to her girlfriend and draped an arm around her shoulders, bringing her closer so that Twilight’s head was resting on her shoulder.


“I know…I said I’d trust you, too…I’m a horrible girlfriend, I said I’d trust you and here I go doubting you…”


Sunset squeezed Twilight’s shoulder. “Hey, don’t go saying that, you’re the best. If anything, I need you to doubt me once and a while. I mean, it’s not like I have all the answers.”


“By the way, you said you were older back in Equestria, how much older were you? And do I need an adult?” Twilight asked with a smirk.


Sunset snorted. “Ha, ha, very funny. My mind is older here, my body is a different story. But after spending all this time here, and considering how I was acting before, I was practically a teenager.”


“Still didn’t answer the question…” Twilight pointed out as she turned to Sunset with half-lidded eyes.


Sunset grinned and said, “Just kiss me, Sparky.”


Both girls leaned in close, their lips about to connect, but before they could meet –


SLAM!


Sunset and Twilight scooted back a couple of feet, their hearts pounding in their chest, and Sunset looked about ready to fight, her hands balled up into fists. But she dropped them when she saw that it was Principal Celestia, with a perturbed look on her face. Upon looking at what made the noise, Celestia had used a heavy book and dropped it on the table the girls were sitting at.


“P-Principal Celestia, w-what the hell?” Sunset asked with an incredulous tone.


“I’d watch your language Miss Shimmer. Public displays of affection are prohibited on school grounds, please refrain from doing so in the future, this will be your only warning,” said Celestia in a no-nonsense-tone.


Both girls blinked in surprise, Principal Celestia was not usually so…high strung. Although, upon looking closer at her, Sunset and Twilight were able to see something was up. The Principal didn’t usually wear makeup, being a natural beauty, so it was odd to see that there was some heavy makeup around near her eyes, where they swore they saw bags. Celestia’s brow was knitted in agitation, and her normally well-kept hair was looking a little frazzled.


“Um, Principal Celestia, are you alright?” Twilight asked.


“I assure you, Miss Sparkle, I am. I just expect more from my brightest students when it comes to obeying school rules, well, one of you anyway,’ said Celestia offhandedly.


Sunset brow furrowed as she leveled her gaze with Celestia. “Excuse, what was that?”


Celestia raised an eyebrow. “Oh, please, Miss Shimmer. You weren’t exactly a saint back before the Fall Formal. You always found a way to either break, bend, or get around the rules each and every time. I would appreciate it if you didn’t spread your bad habits over to Twilight.”


“Hey,” Sunset walked from around the table and stood before the, tall, woman. “I know I used to mess up a lot, but I would never have Twilight be like that.”


“Watch yourself Sunset,” Celestia warned.


Twilight looked nervously between her girlfriend and her teacher, Principal Celestia stood a head taller than most of the male and female staff of the school, the word “Amazon” came to mind. But even so, that height and intense look in the Principal’s eyes didn’t scare Sunset, who glared up at the woman with a look as equally intense as her own. Which, compared to what Sunset had faced as Unicorn, staring down an authority figure was less intimidating than staring down a Dopant.


After a long, tense minute of glaring, Celestia sighed in frustration and picked up her book. “I am not in the mood to argue with a student, remember my warning, or next time I will place both of you in detention.”


Sunset opened her mouth, about to talk, but was cut off when Celestia said, “If you utter one more word, Sunset Shimmer, your detention will start this minute.” Sunset snapped her mouth shut but kept her glare on the Principal as she walked out.


Once she was gone, Sunset growled in frustration as she sat down back in her seat. “What the blue hell was that about?! Detention?! And she had the gull to bring up…dammit!”


Twilight rubbed Sunset’s shoulder. “It’s okay, I’m sure she just wasn’t feeling too well. She honestly looked a little disheveled. Principal Celestia’s probably having a rough day.”


Sunset snorted again, a habit from being a pony. “Fine, even I can have an off day when I’m snappy at people, she gets a slide today.”


Twilight raised an eyebrow. “Just one day when you’re snappy?”


“Okay, okay, I get snappy a couple of times a day!”

***_______________<U>_______________***

Unfortunately, that was only the beginning. In the week that followed, Principal Celestia had become stricter and often times draconian in her actions. Canterlot High had seen a spike in detentions for kids disobeying the rules, it had gotten so that most of the students had to be on their toes whenever Principal Celestia was around. This had started some rumors that the Principal, the warm, kind, motherly woman, had been replaced by some monster like a Dopant, or might have been touched by magic.


The seven girls of CHS had gathered at lunch, each looking worried.


“So, I take it that everyone here has been getting requests for us to, ahem, ‘rainbow beam blast’ Principal Celestia?” Rarity asked.


A round of nods came from every girl at the table.


“Yeah, like, pretty much everyone on my team is asking me to Pony Up and save the school,” said Rainbow.


“That, and Ah’ve heard that some students are trying to think of ways to get Unicorn and Nasca to investigate her, thinkin’ that a Dopant’s replaced our Principal,” said Applejack.


“It is strange…Principal Celestia’s normally sweet, kind, understanding, and of course firm when she needs to be with some students, but she’s never, um, ‘been on the warpath’ before,” said Fluttershy.


“I kind of want to throw her a party to help her out of her funk, but then she said she’d give me detention for a month if I did that…” Pinkie Pie had a bit of a droopy frown as she said all this.


Twilight adjusted her glasses and said, “Well, it could be that she’s just really stressed out. I mean, she is the Principal of the school. She probably has a lot of administrative duties that are weighing down on her. Not to mention making sure each student is getting the help they need and not falling behind and dealing with problem students. Although for CHS, problem students are more or less nonexistent in comparison to other public schools.”


Sunset sighed and added, “Well, let’s just hope that she’s having a nervous breakdown and not being controlled by Equestrian magic or is a Dopant with disguising powers, again.”


Lunch concluded, and the girls went their separate ways to their classes, Twilight’s class was on the same hall as Sunset’s so both girls walked together. Twilight stealthily maneuvered her right hand and slipped it into Sunset’s, the action brought a cute blush to Twilight’s face, and a wide smile to Sunset’s.


“Twilight Sparkle!”


Twilight and Sunset quickly separated and turned around to spot Principal Celestia storming towards them. Sunset moved Twilight so that she was standing behind her and stood her ground as Celestia stopped a foot from them.


“I thought I told you, no public displays of affection,” said Celestia.


“I…I was just holding Sunset’s hand, ma’am,” said Twilight in a timid voice.


“The fact remains I warned you, and now I will have you report to detention!”


“OKAY ENOUGH!” Sunset yelled loud enough for the hallway to echo her voice, loud enough that some students and faculty members peeked outside their classrooms, loud enough that other students who were around the corners had stopped to see what was happening.


“What did you say, Miss Shimmer?” Celestia asked as she narrowed her eyes at the young woman before her.


Sunset was undeterred by Celestia’s steely gaze, comparing it to that of her mother – who was a goddess of the sun – this version of her mother was far less intimidating. “Excuse my language, but since no one seems to have the balls to say this to you directly, I will. You’re out of control! You’re sniping at students for little things that wouldn’t have batted an eye at before, they actually hush up and move out of your way whenever your around, and I’m pretty sure some of the faculty is also getting stressed from whatever is happening with you!”


“Uh…S-Sunset…?” Twilight warned.


Sunset released a long sigh and looked up at Celestia again with understanding. “Look, I…I won’t pretend that I know what your responsibilities are, or how stressful they can be, but you can’t just lash out like this. Talk to Vice Principal Luna, or just take a couple of days to unwind and–”


“You’re suspended.”


“–and suspend me…………WAIT WHAT?!” Sunset shouted in shock.


“Principal Celestia,” Twilight intervened, “this is highly unprofession–!”


Celestia turned her steely glare onto the indigo haired girl. “Finish that sentence Miss Sparkle and you will also be suspended, do not let Miss Shimmer taint your record.”


Twilight was conflicted, she was raised to obey those in a position of power, however, she had also learned that even those with power did not always make good decisions. Her encounter with Principal Cinch helped to clarify that. On that note, suspension would mar her permanent record, colleges would see it and think she was a delinquent, all the top colleges she had carefully written letters and done projects for, it would all get thrown away. But, there was also a need in Twilight, a burning desire to protect her girlfriend against this injustice when all she was trying to do was help and address Principal Celestia’s odd behavior. The more she thought about how unfairly Sunset was treated, the more her heart burned to stand up for her.


But Sunset held out her arm, her own glare not faltering in the slightest. “Fine, have it your way then. Tell me when your mood improves.” Sunset turned her gaze back to Twilight, who was sporting a look of disbelief as her mouth worked to form words. “It’s okay, babe. Really.”


Sunset lowered her arm and shouldered her backpack as she walked past Celestia, the Principal’s gaze following her the whole way. She then spotted Ms. Harshwhinny coming around the corner and addressed her, “Ms. Harshwhinny.”


The blonde-haired woman looked up from her papers and gave Principal Celestia an inquisitive look. “Yes, Principal Celestia?”


“Sunset Shimmer is suspended as of today, please escort her to the front doors.”


Ms. Harshwhinny shook her head in disbelief, glancing between the Principal and Sunset. “Principal Celestia, I’m going to have to ask for an explanation as to–!”


“It’s okay, Ms. Harshwhinny!” Sunset interjected. “It’s fine.”


Ms. Harshwhinny did not like these state of affairs at all, but she trusted Sunset’s judgement and began her escort. When they were far enough away, the teacher walked up until she was side-by-side with Sunset and asked, “Are you alright, Ms. Shimmer?”


“I’m fine, don’t worry. Something’s just…off with Principal Celestia,” said Sunset with a concerned tone.


“‘Off’ is putting it mildly, that woman – in the time that I have known her – has never acted in such a manner, not even on her worst days, she would never snap at a student or be so harsh to anyone.”


“Yeah, that’s more your schtick,” said Sunset with a grin.


Ms. Harshwhinny rolled her eyes, but then rubbed her arm as she said, “I’m never strict without reason, and I do so only to ensure that you all are safe…you know that, right?”


Sunset smiled warmly at her teacher as she placed an arm on her shoulder. “You cried for me when I was going to fight the Sirens, of course I know how much you care about us. And I’m pretty sure most of the students understand where you’re coming from. So, don’t worry so much.”


Ms. Harshwhinny cleared her throat, retaining her air of composure, but unable to hide the blush on her face. Once they arrived at the front doors, Ms. Harshwhinny glanced to Sunset and asked, “Are you sure I can’t fight this on your behalf…” she paused for a moment and said, “You’re not putting up much of a fight, which means you think that there’s something else making Celestia act the way she is, don’t you?”


Sunset nodded. “If it’s Equestrian magic, my friends and I can stop it. If it’s…Rider related, then I need to start investigating from the outside in. Rule out external factors.”


The teacher sighed heavily. She knew Sunset was the only one equipped to do these kinds of things, still, it didn’t make it easier sending her off to do these things. “I’ll have Miss Sparkle bring you the homework for the lessons you’ll miss. In the meantime, I’ll see if I can also talk her down from this, and maybe get some insight as to what’s making her this way.”


“Be careful, if anything’s out of place, tell my friends immediately.”


Ms. Harshwhinny placed her hand to her forehead and shook her head. “I’m the adult, and yet the first ones I must turn to solve this problem are my young students.”


Sunset chuckled as she walked away stating, “Life is funny like that!”

***_______________<U>_______________***

[That was completely uncalled for! I know she’s the Principal, and yes, you kind of were speaking out of line, but it was the truth! A-And it wasn’t like you were saying something that was untrue or outright spiteful, you were speaking out of concern, and she should know that!]


“Sparky…”


[This is outrageous! I…this…GRRR! I’m just so mad right now!]


“Babe.”


[I know, I’ll talk to Cadance, I’ll take this up to the schoolboard! I’ll–!]


“TWILIGHT!” There was silence for a moment. “I love you, and I love that you’re mad for me, but right now we need to make sure that this isn’t some kind of magic messing with her or a Dopant.” I’m really hoping its either one because I don’t want to believe that Celestia would just act this way without a reason.


[Alright…sorry, I just…I just got so mad when she said you were suspended. I never felt that way before.]


Sunset smiled. “That’s part of what love is, feeling protective of the one you care about. And again, I love that you felt that way and wanted to give her your two bits, but we should rule out magic or monsters first.”


[I understand.]


Sunset smirked her pervy smirk. “Good, so the next time you feel that kind of fiery passion, use it in the bedroom.”


[Of course………WHAAAATT?!]


“Bye,” Sunset ended the call, she could practically feel the heat radiating from Twilight’s face from pure embarrassment.


Sunset hadn’t gone far from the school, she kept close, circling the outer perimeter of the school to see if there was anything from the outside causing this to happen, even checking the portal to make sure nothing had leaked out, as the statue was the only access point for magic from Equestria to leak out into this world, even when it was closed the statue still acted as a conduit for the magic.


So far, Sunset didn’t find anything out of the ordinary, at the moment. Since there was still some time to kill, Sunset decided to head to the house of Celestia and Luna, while she couldn’t get in, perhaps she could find something amiss from the outside. Sunset rode her motorcycle all the way to their house, it looked much more pleasant in the afternoon than it did at night, and thankfully Starlight’s company helped to pay for the repairs to the house. You could hardly tell that the front was blown out at all.


Sunset parked her bike on the sidewalk and looked around, thankfully most of the residents were out at work, and the children who occupied the houses were still in school. So, it allowed Sunset time to mill about, although she kept her helmet on just for precaution. She made her way around the side of the house where the backyard was, noting that they had a pool in the back. No fair, probably doesn’t get much use.


After checking around the house a few times, Sunset headed back to her bike, but paused when she spotted a car parked out front on the sidewalk. Sunset hugged the fence, keeping herself just barely visible as to not be spotted. A man was leaning against the car, staring up at the house. He had black hair that was at least shoulder length. He had wicked long sideburns, ashen colored skin, and intense ruby red eyes. He wore a black leather jacket, and Sunset had to admit she liked it, under which it seemed he wore a white shirt. Black denim jeans with a silver interweaving, almost tribal markings were sewn in, and a pair of black steel-toe tipped boots. He looked to be somewhere in his thirties, mid to late. The man took out a cigarette and lit it, taking a puff and blowing out as he grinned toothily.


Sunset didn’t like this, every part of her was screaming this guy was bad news, even her old bad girl side was warning her this guy was trouble. And more than likely had a weapon on hand. He continued staring at the house until he finished his cigarette and went back in his black sports car and drove off down the road. Sunset released a breath she didn’t she know she was holding and went back to where her bike was, revving it up and heading back to the school.


By the time she got back, school had let out, and everyone was filing out. Unfortunately, Sunset couldn’t leave just yet, she still needed to wait until Celestia headed back home before she could call it quits. Hours passed by with Sunset just sitting on her bike, nearly nodding off here and there. She was awoken later by Twilight, asking where to leave her homework or if she should just keep it at her house until she comes by and picks up.


I really need to make a key for her, we already said the “L” word, might as well make it official.


Filing that away for a later time, Sunset watched as eight ‘o clock rolled around, and the teachers were finally leaving. Sunset spotted Celesita getting into her car, and parked next to her was Vice Principal Luna, who had entered her own vehicle. Sunset took off as soon as she saw this, deciding to beat them to their residence. Her speedier mode of transportation got her back to the two sisters’ house before they arrived, with Sunset waiting around the corner.


Sunset spotted Luna’s car pull into their driveway, watching as Luna got out and went inside. Sunset waited another hour, but still no sign of Celestia.


Probably out getting groceries or something…?


Another hour passed and the only other car that arrived was a pizza delivery guy. Thirty more minutes past and it was now officially ten-thirty. Sunset drove over to the house and parked her bike in the driveway behind Luna’s car. Taking off her helmet and stowing it away, Sunset walked up to the house and knocked on the door.


There were sounds of shuffling coming from inside until the door flung open and Luna nearly shouted, “It’s about time you came back! Do you – oh! Um…Sunset Shimmer?”


Sunset looked at her Vice Principal up and down. Boxer shorts, and a loose-fitting shirt, and never mind the fact that both sisters were pretty much natural beauties. Sunset couldn’t help but blush. “Um, hi, VP Luna…you look hot – I mean, whoa, it’s hot out here!”


Luna deadpanned. “It’s sixty-five degrees outside.”


Sunset’s eyes darted about, trying to find a way around this situation.


Luna sighed. “I know it can be a staunch thing to understand, but contrary to high schoolers’ believes, faculty members don’t always wear suits and dresses. Drink it in, get over it, and please explain why you are at my house. And if you tell anyone at school about how I dress for bed, I will end you.”


“Don’t need any of the boys fantasizing, do you?” Sunset asked as her trademark smirk was appearing, only to die out at the glare she was getting from the youngest of the two siblings. “Ahem, I promise. Actually, I was wondering if I could talk to Principal Celestia, but…from your reaction I take it she’s not home.”


“Yes…I…I heard of what my sister did,” said Luna said solemnly. “She’s, well, she’s…”


“Miss Luna, if there’s something,” Sunset glanced about and whispered, “magical, at work, then my friends and I can look into it.”


Luna chuckled dryly. “I wish it was that, then I could just simply ask you girls to fire a rainbow laser and zap my sister back to normal…however…”


Before Luna could say anything the obnoxious sound of a muscle car roared down the street and following behind it was Principal Celestia’s car. Both pulled in, Celestia’s went in first and the muscle car behind it. Celestia walked out, giggling and smiling, however, when the occupant of the muscle car exited, Sunset’s blood froze. It was the same man that she saw hanging around outside of their house. He walked up next to Celestia and wrapped an arm around Celestia’s waist, the tall woman giggled like a school girl at the action.


Sunset’s blood boiled, while this wasn’t her actual adopted mother from Equestria, it was still irritating to see some guy glob onto the woman who had acted as a pseudo-mother while she was here on Earth. Unfortunately, the happy laughter from both of them ended when they spotted Luna, and Celestia’s old glare returned when she saw Sunset standing on her porch.


“What are you doing here, Miss Shimmer?” Celestia asked.


Sunset snapped herself out of the mini rage she was in and focused on Celestia. “I was hoping we could talk, I mean, really talk and not as a student and teacher, but more like a concerned person checking on her kind of mother-figure.”


The man looked to the girl and then back to Celestia. “Babe, who is this girl?”


Celestia sneered. “That’s just one of my problem students. I had suspended her today, but apparently she feels it necessary to come and harass me at my own home.”


Sunset sputtered at that, trying to form a coherent sentence.


“You want me to take care of her, Celly?” the man asked.


“No!” Luna stepped in, putting herself between Sunset and the man. “Thank you, Sombra, but I have already told Miss Shimmer that we will review her suspension. She was just leaving, right Miss Shimmer?”


Sunset looked up at Luna’s eyes, there was a warning in those eyes, not one out of anger like her big sister, but of concern for Sunset’s wellbeing. In the end she relented. “Yeah, I was…just leaving.”


As Sunset walked to her bike, she heard Celestia say, “If I spot you around my house or at school again, Miss Shimmer, I will call the police.” That stung a bit, but Sunset made sure that they didn’t notice as she hopped onto her bike up and took off into the night.

***_______________<U>_______________***

Sunset saw a world of darkness, which was a far cry from what she normally saw in her dreams. Her dreams mostly consisted of Equestria, having fun with her friends, or in the rare occasion, a rather saucy dream about a certain glasses wearing genius girl. But not this night, no, her dream was steeped in darkness, everywhere Sunset looked she was met with a void of complete nothingness.


This unsettled Sunset very much, the last time her dreams were like this was after the Fall Formal, when all her ambitions had been shattered and she was left to remain on Earth to learn the error of her ways. Despite having the assurance of the girls whom she had once bullied and divided that they would be her friends, there was still a soul crushing loneliness that she couldn’t escape, and in that dark void, she could sometimes hear…her.


Thankfully, the darkness seemed to give way to light, albeit a small corner of it. Sunset swam…? Flew? Ran? Well, she made her way towards the light as best she could. Eventually she made it to the light and her vision was blinded by it. Soon the world came into being, and Sunset was standing on a school campus of all places.


It wasn’t CHS, the buildings were bigger, more ornate, and spread out. Sunset believed this was a college campus, and her suspicions proved correct as people began to materialize, students in their early to mid-twenties roamed about, either sitting around in a circle discussing classes or other social topics, or some who were just loitering about. Sunset walked up to a few of them but found out that they didn’t acknowledge her. She waved her hands in front of them to gain their attention, and even yelled at them. Finally, she resorted to pushing one of them, only to pass through them like a ghost and ended up face planting on the ground.


Sunset rolled over and groaned as she rubbed her nose, “Ow…wait, ‘ow’? Ow can’t happen in a dream!”


All the books and movies that Sunset had gone through all stated same thing, “you can’t feel pain in a dream”. So that begged two questions, was Sunset’s mind trapped in some sort of magic that allowed her to feel pain, or…well, she didn’t have a second idea, not yet anyway.


“Okay, Shimmer, let’s assess the situation. This is clearly not your dream, pain is real so no doing anything stupid like jumping off a building. So long as I remain invisible to these people and I suddenly don’t end up in one of those cliché bits where I’m in front of a class naked or in my underwear, then I should be alright.”


With that established, Sunset began searching the area. After a little bit of time, Sunset as able to determine that the school was Canterlot University, and from what she could tell from the bulletin boards and school newspapers, it wasn’t in the present, but a few years back in the past.


As Sunset kept walking around, she found herself being tugged in a certain direction. It wasn’t so much as something was physically pulling her in one direction, but more like nudging her there. It showed when she had decided to go down one hallway but stopped as a tingling feeling in the back of her head told her to not go that way, but when she looked down the correct hall, it went away. Having little to go on, Sunset used that feeling to navigate the halls.


Her travels eventually brought her to a dorm room, she didn’t think she’d be able to go through it as it obviously had a key lock. However, when she turned the knob, it opened. Sunset entered the room and blinked. Sitting in bed with her legs crossed and wearing a baggy shirt, and hopefully something else under it, was Luna. Although, this Luna was much younger than the one she knew, and cuter too.


Sunset raised her right hand slapped herself across the face. Stop thinking dirty thoughts about your Vice Principal! Sunset decided to see if Celestia was in the adjacent bed, because knowing her, Celestia would be dressed more moderate – HOLY FLYING HORSESHOES!


Sunset quickly slammed the door shut and braced herself against the wall, her heart racing and her cheeks flushed at what she had seen. The fiery haired girl brought her hands to her face and shook her head. “Of all the things I didn’t need to see in my life, that was something I could do without! Oh man, seeing them is going to be sooooo awkward now.”



Her psychological trauma would have to wait, however, as Sunset became acutely aware of the sound of thudding of boots against linoleum. Sunset looked down the hall and spotted the man she had seen earlier that night, Sombra. He was younger, his black hair was slicked back compared to the shaggy mane he had when he was older, and his sideburns were cut to a reasonable length.


The moment that he got close to the room, Celesita opened the door, now fully dressed, and made Luna screech as she fumbled the game controller in her hand and dove under the sheets.


“TIA! Why the hell did you open the door when I’m dressed like this?!” Young Luna looked to the door and frowned. “Oh…it’s you.”


Young Celestia gave her little sister a frown of her own. “Lulu, be nice!”


“Hey, hey, it’s no problem Celly, she’s just a little jealous that I’m stealing away her big sis so much,” said Sombra in a cool tone.


Luna huffed. “I am not ‘jealous’! I just don’t like it when my sister swings the door open when I’m half-dressed!”


Celestia playfully slapped Sombra’s shoulder. “You better not get any ideas about my little sister, you!”


Sombra held up his hands and said, “Nah, babe, you know you’re the only sun in my sky.”


At that moment, both Young Luna and Sunset shared the same deadpan expression.


“Don’t wait up Lulu!”


Sunset watched as Celestia and Sombra walked away, leaving Luna alone in her room.


I should have said something to her…


Sunset looked around hearing Luna’s voice, she looked inside the room and saw that the younger sister was crying, and beside the bed was her older self, a look of regret prevalent on her face.


I never liked Sombra, just being around him made me uneasy. Tia was too kind hearted, no…it’s that he offered her something I couldn’t…freedom. When our parents died, she had to step up and be the adult when she should’ve still been a child like me.


The world shifted around, showing a younger Celestia and Luna standing before two headstones where they’re parents rested.


I acted out, I hated the world, I hated that it took our parents away. I wanted to make the world pay however I could!


The scenes switched around again, now showing Luna in a back alley surrounded by thuggish looking teens. The way they stood around her, it wasn’t as if they were cornering her, no, they were standing next to her, for she was the leader. She wore a black leather jacket, purple lipstick and indigo eyeliner to exaggerate her eyes and give her a menacing appearance, she wore a helmet, almost like a crown, that was a midnight blue. As the punk version walked on, Sunset spotted wings that were molded into the back the black jacket.


I called myself Nightmare Moon, on the streets of Canterlot, I could lash out, and it wasn’t hard to find other likeminded individuals who shared in my hatred of how the world treated us. Before I knew it, I had a gang, and I was its leader. But Tia…Tia wouldn’t have it…


The scene switched again and showed “Nightmare Moon” and Celestia in a house, the elder sister standing defiantly before the younger.


“Out of my way sister!” Luna warned.


“I’m not letting you go back out there! For what?! Some kind of gang turf war?! If Mom and Dad were alive–!”


“Well they’re not!” Luna shouted. “They’re dead…They’re dead and they’re not coming back! We’re alone, and no one’s going to help us! We need take what we want, Tia!”


Celestia shook her head. “Are you listening to yourself?! What good is all this gangbanging doing for you?! Except hurting your grades and messing up your future! Do you think I want to visit my little sister in jail?! Because I don’t! I have to be the adult here, and as such, you’re not going out!”


Luna scoffed at that. “Please, you know I’m stronger than you.”


Celestia glared at Luna. “Try me, Luna, I dare you.”


Luna narrowed her gaze and moved towards the front door, but Celestia blocked her path and even pushed her back, making Luna stumble a few seconds before regaining her footing. “Did you just seriously push me?!”


“I did.”


Luna made for the door again, but Celestia pushed her sister away. This continued for a minute before Luna became really agitated. “Don’t make me knock you out, Tia!”


Sunset could see it in Luna’s eyes, there was a rebellious fire in them, a similar fire that once burned in Sunset’s eyes. That kind of fire blinded her to what was important, allowing her only to see what was before her, everything else around fell to the wayside. Luna lunged at her big sister, and soon both of them were entangled in a brawl. They thrashed around on the floor, knocking over several items from tables. Curses and insults were thrown around as their fight continued.


Sunset tried several times to break it up but was reminded each time that this was a dream, and that she had no power over it and could not interact with these events. Eventually, Celestia managed to pin her sister on the floor, glaring down
at her as her eyes stung with tears.


“DO YOU THINK I WANT TO BE THE ADULT, LUNA?!”


Luna stopped her struggling as she looked up at Celestia.


“I want them back too! It’s not fair that they died and left us alone like this! But I’m the oldest, and I didn’t want them to put us in some kind of foster care with strangers! That’s why I stepped up! I promised that whatever it took we’d stay together as a family! You and me, because that’s all we have left now! But you go out and do these things, like your fervently hellbent on going to jail or dying in some gods forsaken gutter!”


The younger sister looked away for a moment, unable to meet her sister’s gaze. Celestia lowered herself and rested her head against her younger sister’s shoulder as she began to cry. “I want things to go back to the way they were…just…you and me being sisters and having fun, sniping at each other from time to time…but now, I have to be the parent and make sure we can make it…


The teenage Luna let tears fall from her eyes as she reached up and hugged her big sister.


Sunset felt her eyes water at the scene, but she then startled when the older version of Luna appeared next to her.


That was the night I came to a realization, as strong and stoic as Tia was, she was hiding her fear and sadness from me, believing she needed to be strong for the both of us. I think she was afraid that if I saw her cry or look afraid, then I would be afraid of everything that was to come out of our situation. And instead of helping her, I made it harder on her. I stopped being Nightmare and quit sneaking away into the night and I was just Luna.


Suddenly, the world around them became dark, a deep rumbling shook beneath their feet. Sunset could feel something in the darkness moving, or, more like the darkness was a living thing.


“You could never be there for her, can never offer what she needed! She needed to be free, but she couldn’t do that because of you!”


The voice emanated from every direction, but soon, the darkness seemed to ooze out something, a being walked out of the darkness and stood before Luna. It was her, but her as if she continued to be Nightmare Moon. Her skin was black as night, irises crystal blue with slits for the pupil. She wore a leather jacket that had a silver crescent moon emblazoned on the shoulders, and black wings that flared from her back.


“YOU ARE LIKE A PARASITE! You can’t exist without someone else to drain!” Nightmare accused.


“No…I…I’m not like that, I love my sister, I don’t want to be a burden to her!” Luna shouted as she hugged herself.


Nightmare began stalking towards her, her right hand morphed until it was wrapped in shadows and changed into a large claw. “Then do the sisterly thing…and end your existence!”


Before Nightmare Moon could get close to Luna, Sunset had stepped in between them. With a fierce gaze, Sunset held out her right hand and from it a turquoise glow of magical light erupted from her hand. Nightmare Moon backed away as the light shined brighter and brighter. The rays of turquoise light pierced through Nightmare Moon, causing her to shriek in agony until her entire body shattered like fragile glass.


The world around them transformed, becoming a field of flowers and a night sky with the aurora borealis flowing through it. Sunset released a sigh of relief, thankful that she was able to do something to stop the evil doppelganger before it could reach her Vice Principal.


“Sunset Shimmer…?”


Sunset turned around and saw that Luna was staring directly at her with wide eyes. “Um…Ms. Luna?”


“How are you –?!”


Suddenly, Sunset awoke with a gasp. Blankets were strewn all over the place, and her brow was beaded with sweat. Sunset looked to her right hand, feeling it clutched around something. When Sunset opened her hand, she saw that the Unicorn Memory, glowing slightly and fading as the seconds ticked by.


“Did I just…” Sunset looked over at her clock and shot up. “OH, CRAP I’M GOING TO BE LATE and I won’t because I’m suspended…right.” Sunset flopped back onto her bed and released a sigh. “Either I just tapped into VP Luna’s dreams or this is just another one of those weird Kamen Rider things.”


Just then a knock came at Sunset’s front door. Curious, Sunset cautiously went down the stairs from her bed, into the living room, and carefully looked through the peephole of the door. Sunset blinked for a moment, looked again, and then opened the door, revealing Luna.


“Vice Principal Luna? Um, what – uh – what are you doing here?” Sunset asked.


“Sunset Shimmer, I need to know, do you think my sister is under the influence of magic?” Lunas asked in desperate tone.


Sunset fidgeted, keeping her right hand held behind her back to hide the Unicorn Memory. “I’m…I…well…”


“I saw you.” Sunset’s eyes widened. “I saw you in my dreams, you…you saved me from that monstrous version of myself! It has to do with your pony magic, right?”


Sunset scratched at her head. “Why don’t we talk inside.”


Luna walked into Sunset’s loft, taking a seat on the couch while Sunset made some coffee, believing that she was going to need a good amount of caffeine to process whatever was happening. After offering and pouring a cup for Luna, Sunset sat down on the adjacent loveseat and asked, “Okay, why do you believe it’s dark magic?”


“It has to be, doesn’t it? I know you know, Tia – er – Principal Celestia isn’t acting right.”


Sunset raised her hand in a stopping motion. “I think we need to establish something first, if it isn’t too personal, can I call you Luna? It’ll get to be a mouthful for the both of us to use titles. Also, I won’t tell anybody what nicknames you guys use.”


Luna blushed a little but her stoic expression returned quickly. “Very well, that sounds reasonable.”


“Anyway, before we can even rule this to be dark magic or any kind of magic, I need to know when she started to change. If I’m right, it looked like this started about a week or so ago?” Sunset speculated.


Luna put her coffee down on the table and rubbed her temples. “About right, but if I’d wager a guess, it started when Sombra came back.”


Sunset narrowed her eyes at that name. “Who was that guy, and why was her globbing onto Celestia like they were a thing?”


With a frustrated sigh, Luna said, “Because they are…were…once a ‘thing’. Back in college, Tia was dating Sombra, he was brilliant, to a degree. Had great potential but he fancied rebelling against everything and anything, causing trouble, and dragging my sister along for the ride. Tia had to be the adult in our lives after our parents died…so she didn’t allow herself to indulge in the normal things that most teens or young adults like yourself would…she had to be our parent, and Sombra gave her that freedom…”


Sunset scrutinized Luna for a moment before saying, “There’s something else to Sombra, maybe it’s my magic or pony nature, but I keep getting this sense of danger coming off of him. What aren’t you telling me?”


Luna leaned back into her chair and placed her right hand over her eyes. “He was a criminal, Sunset. He knew how to manipulate people into getting whatever he wanted, either through coercion, blackmail, or threats. Problem is, he had the tenacity to follow through on his threats with violence. He was a dark person, Tia often attributed it to his loss of his first love, and maybe that’s true, but the person he is now is not what he once was. If anything, he was like me if I had continued down the path I was on.”


The midnight blue woman sat up and rested her elbows on her knees. “One night, he had told Tia to meet him, she never told me where. So, I did for her what she did for me…”


“You stopped her from going, and had a fight,” said Sunset.


Luna smirked. “So, it seems that you saw more than what I thought.”


Sunset blushed. “Um…maybe…”


“I’ll chalk it up to involuntary, for now. But yes, I did. Turns out that Sombra was orchestrating a robbery, one that had gone awry and landed him in jail. I thought that was the last time we’d seen him. But just about three weeks ago he popped up out of nowhere. And right around the same time, Tia began having nightmares, getting less sleep. However, on the times she went to go and meet with him, that following night she’d slept peacefully.” Luna tightened her fists.


“I, at first, gritted my teeth and bared it, because I couldn’t stand seeing my sister thrash about and in pain when gripped with a nightmare. But steadily, she’s been changing. When she suspended you, I knew I had to do something, and after last night, I’m more than certain of it.”


Sunset was starting to feel a little more confident in what was going on, although she disliked the idea of the mirror version of her adopted mother being under control, it was a load off her mind, she didn’t want to believe that Celestia was just secretly spiteful and irate. “Okay, I’ll use this suspension to my advantage and take a look into this. But, if possible, could you find a way to make sure that this doesn’t get into my record?”


“I can do that much, if you want, I can possibly try and get it reversed?” Luna asked.


“No, don’t want to tip off Celestia, for now, try and talk her down. I have some leads I want to check out, and see if you can help my friends, Twilight and the girls can investigate the magic side to see if there’s anything at the school that did this.” Sunset stood up and asked, “If at all possible, I want to look around Celestia’s room and your house to see if there are any items that dark magic could’ve attached itself to. If you’re comfortable with that…I mean…”


Luna stood up, reached into her pocket, and took out a key. She walked around the table and placed it into Sunset’s right hand. “Had you suggested something like this a couple of years ago, I would’ve suspected you had some dark ulterior motive.”


“Oh, I do, I want to see what your night clothes consist of.” The moment Sunset said that, Luna snatched the key back. “Kidding! Kidding! I won’t go snooping through your dressers! I promise!”


The older woman raised a suspicious eyebrow but returned the key. “Very well, please be careful and be quick.” Luna walked towards the door with Sunset right behind her. Before Luna exited, she turned her head and showed a devious smirk. “I know I am alluring, but don’t cheat on Twilight Sparkle this early in your relationship, it just wouldn’t work out…at least until the end of your senior year.”


Sunset was left standing there with mouth agape, all while Luna walked away with a smirk of satisfaction that she managed to stump the brilliant girl.


Note to self…give Twilight a guilty gift.

***_______________<U>_______________***

True to her word, Sunset headed to the two sisters’ house, parking her bike on a sidewalk about a block or so from where the house was, just in case a certain someone popped by. With the key, and a quick text on how to disarm the alarm system, Sunset started her investigation. She first checked around the house, remembering the ground floor layout from when she made her entrance to save them from the Injury Dopant.


After going over the entire floor, Sunset couldn’t sense or find anything that radiated magic. So, she took her investigation upstairs. It wasn’t hard finding Celestia’s room, she had a large queen-sized bed, with an oak head board, and a white comforter with pink flowers that looked as if they were painted on with water colors.


Sunset ran her hand over the bed, the moment she did, she jerked her hand away, feeling a stinging, almost electrical shock running through her hand. “Something was here…rather, something occurred here.” Sunset looked around a little more before deciding on a course of action, something she hadn’t tried in a long time since her days a unicorn. “Guess I’ll give it a shot.”


The former unicorn mare took out the Unicorn Memory and sat down on the floor, crossed legged, in a mediation position. Sunset held the Unicorn Memory in her hands and used it as focal point to channel her inner magic. Closing her eyes, Sunset focused on the hostile energy she felt emanating from Celestia’s bed.

~|~***~|~

Within her minds eyes, her body was cloaked in the form of her alter ego, Kamen Rider Unicorn. “Well, at least I don’t have to worry about whatever’s causing this to know who I am.”


It was a strange feeling being back in the void of darkness again, she didn’t like it. It felt alive, like the darkness was sentient.


“Who enters my domain?”


The voice reverberated in the darkness, rumbling through everything, even through Unicorn’s ethereal body. Unicorn steeled her nerves and responded, “I am Kamen Rider Unicorn! I’m the protector of this city and its people! Who or whatever you are, if you seek to endanger anyone, you’ll have to contend with me!”


The darkness began giving way to a new landscape, showing a gray and barren wasteland, with dark storm clouds that roared with thunder and spat lightning. Unicorn found her feet touching solid ground, but her time to analyze the situation was not given as a being appeared before her. Clad in silver armor, with dark smoke acting as the body, and helmet adorned with a single red horn crest, was the being in control of the realm. His eyes burned with violet wisps coming from the corners of its eyes, the sclera of the eyes was a dark green, while the irises were blood red.


“Oh, the hero, I’ve heard so much about you. Unfortunately, you have no power here. This is my world, and in here, I make the rules!”


The Shadow raised his right hand and slammed it against the ground, a surge of power coursed through the dreamscape, and immediately responded. The “earth” began to jut out into sharpened granite glaives that roared towards Unicorn. The magical hero jumped into the air, avoiding the earthen glaives, and fired off several magic bolts in rapid succession straight for The Shadow. The Shadow raised his left hand and created a barrier, all the shots either exploded off its surface or ricocheted off into the distance.


The Shadow raised his right hand towards the cloud ridden sky and clenched his fist. The lightning arced wildly across the clouds, culminating into a single point in the sky. Unicorn, in anticipation of the incoming attack, created her own barrier bubble, just in time before a huge bolt of lightning crackled across the sky and struck her shield. The protector of harmony was forced back to the land with a tremendous explosion that left a scorching crater.


Unicorn jumped out of the crater as fast as she could, stumbling a bit when she touched back down. “That all you got?!”


The Shadow’s eyes narrowed with irritation. “Y’know, nobody likes stubborn women who don’t know when to lie down.”


Unicorn glared at The Shadow. “Really? So, you’re not just a dream monster, you’re a sexist, dream monster. Thanks, just one more reason to motivate me!”


The horn on Unicorn’s helmet flashed and Unicorn vanished from sight. The Shadow widened his stance as his eyes looked around for his opponent, however, he was not ready for Unicorn’s teleportation assault. Unicorn appeared behind him and delivered a spinning roundhouse to his back, sending The Shadow flying forward. Unicorn teleported again, this time on an intercept path, she then dashed towards him, holding out her right arm as she drew near, and let The Shadow’s momentum carry him forward.


The Shadow’s neck struck against Unicorn’s armored bicep, causing him to gag. Unicorn felt his momentum almost carry her with him, but with a little burst of magic, she was able to shoot forward and follow through. The Shadow, having been effectively clotheslined, spin in midair for a few seconds before falling onto the ground unceremoniously.


“Ha! I’ve always wanted to try that move!” Definitely need to thank Rainbow Dash for sitting me down and watching that anime. “Now let’s end this!”


The Rider of friendship took out the Unicorn Memory and placed it into the right hip port.


>} UNICORN! MAXIMUM DRIVE! {<


Unicorn jumped into the air, spun once, and descended with her right foot forward. I spiral cone formed around her right foot, preparing to deliver the finishing blow of Spiral Breaker.


However, The Shadow had other plans. The apparition’s body suddenly grew five times his size, becoming a giant that spread out across the landscape. Unicorn, upon seeing this, tried to cancel out her attack, but it was no use. The Shadow reached out and grabbed ahold of Unicorn in midair, now rising until his body had broken through the clouds above, revealing an even more tumultuous storm raging overhead.


Unicorn could feel the giant hand squeeze her body, tighter and tighter, without any sign of relenting. Unicorn had formed a full body barrier to protect herself, but even that was showing cracks with each passing second. The Shadow raised his fist up and brought Unicorn to his eye level, even though this being lacked a mouth, she could tell that he was smirking at her.


“No one defies me, this is my world! I have all the power!” The Shadow titled his head in curiosity for a moment. “I wonder, are you just someone who dreams of becoming Kamen Rider Unicorn? Or are you actually the Unicorn?”


Unicorn grunted as she struggled to get free from The Shadow’s grasp. “That’s for me to know and you to never find out!”


The Shadow shrugged. “Oh, I like a challenge!”


At that moment, dark tendrils rose up from his fist and struck against Unicorn’s chest, right over where her heart would be. The tendrils coiled together and formed a makeshift drill that began to bore into the barrier that Unicorn had created. Cracks began to fissure from the point of contact as Unicorn tried putting more energy into the shield, but doing so meant taking energy away from other parts of the shield that were protecting her body.


Soon the drill broke through and struck at her heart, Unicorn cried out in pain as she felt the cold darkness creep over her, little by little.


“Yes, we’ll see who’s under that mask,” The Shadow mocked.


Suddenly, a bright light began to push back against the tendrils, the light grew brighter and brighter until it released a powerful explosion of turquoise, gold, and crimson. The Shadow’s right hand was completely erased from the power of the light, along with the storm clouds. The light eventually faded, and when it did, The Shadow saw that he was alone, Kamen Rider Unicorn, had vanished.

~|~***~|~

Sunset released a terrified cry as she fell on her back, now staring up at the ceiling as her heart hammered in her chest. Speaking of which, Sunset scrambled to a seated position and felt around her chest, and with a thankful sigh, was relieved to find that there was no hole or anything that showed what the creature had done anything to her. However, her body was sore like she had been in a fight, and when she pressed a little more over that spot there was soreness. Sunset looked down her shirt and noticed a bruise had formed over where her heart was.


No…No way…that dream, whatever that was, it actually affected me here? Sunset thought.


Sunset looked at the clock and realized that barely a minute had passed since she entered that state. It didn’t surprise her as much, time moves faster in the dream world, the brain’s unconscious state can’t grasp time in a relative sense, so what felt like an hour, more likely was a minute or less in real time. Sunset stood up on unsteady legs, as she made her way towards downstairs, Sunset noticed a figure outside the house and ducked back up the stairs and stealthily made her way into another room. Once in, she gently separated a section of the blinds and saw that it was Sombra again.


The man was just standing there, dragging on his cigarette as he gave a none-too-pleased look at the house. Thankfully it wasn’t long before Sombra got back into his car and drove away, Sunset waited an hour to be sure that he wasn’t there anymore and left the house as quickly and silently as possible.


As she walked back to her bike, Sunset started contemplating what had just happened to her. She battled some creature in the dream world, who had complete control over it, but as Unicorn, she was able to deal some modicum of damage to him. Sunset unlatched her bike from the lamppost and revved the engine, at this point, she wasn’t sure if this was Equestrian magic or a Dopant.


Sometimes though, it’s better to go straight to the source.

PreviousChapters Next