• Published 7th Apr 2018
  • 4,698 Views, 303 Comments

Sly Cooper: Family of Thieves - Blackdrag-rose



Gilda and Derpy grow up with Sly, Bentley, and Murray as their brothers, where they work towards restoring the Cooper Legacy to its former glory by bringing the Fiendish Five to justice... and run from the law at the same time.

  • ...
26
 303
 4,698

Chapters Next
Prologue: The Paris Heist

Paris was a large city and anyone not familiar with it could become lost rather easily, but that wasn't true for people such as Sly Cooper, his gang, and his sisters, as they had a talent for finding their way around a city and locating exactly what they were searching for. Sly was a male raccoon with gray fur and brown eyes, with his tail having the signature black rings on it, though he usually wore the same colored shoes, jacket, gloves, and hat, as they were all dark blue, but to complete his look he had the raccoon mask around his eyes and carried his family's cane with him. In addition to all of that he also wore a small red backpack, a common one so he couldn't be identified easily in a public setting, that he usually stuffed his stolen goods into before leaving his calling card... the same that his family used all the time.

Sly came from a long line of master thieves, the legendary Cooper Clan, who had thieves stretching back all the way to Ancient Egypt, or at least that was what he remembered from the large number of times he was allowed to read the Thievius Raccoonus, the ancient tome that was passed down throughout his family line. Ten years ago, when he was only eight years old, he was supposed to have inherited the book from his father, but then five strangers arrived unannounced at their door. His father hid him inside a closest while he went to investigate what had happened, only for Sly to see the shadowy outline of his father being attacked by someone and, ultimately, falling to the ground in defeat, before the strangers ransacked the house and found the tome... which they separated among themselves before disappearing to different parts of the world to commit crimes with the knowledge they had just stolen.

All Sly could remember from that night, including the attack, was that someone found him sometime later and dropped him off at the Happy Camper Orphanage, where he met the people that would not only become his friends, but also his family as well. The two guys that he met went on to become his most trusted friends and part of the new Cooper Gang; Bentley, techno-genius and strategist supreme, and Murray, part-time driver and full-time burden, though that second part was something that Murray was trying to get rid of. The two girls he met, who became his sisters, were Gilda and Derpy Hooves, or, as they were more commonly known as these days, Gilda Cooper and Derpy Cooper... though the reality was that neither of them were raccoons like Sly was.

Gilda was a griffin, meaning a mix between a lion and an eagle, and she had white feathers on her head that were supposed to be her hair, while at the same time she had a beak that was actually her mouth, her fingers had the shape of an eagle's talons, and she had a pair of wings, eagle wings to be exact, that grew out of her back. Those were the parts of her that belonged to the eagle side of her DNA, though for her lion side she had lion paws for feet, along with the leg structure to match, and had a lion's tail where Sly had a raccoon's tail. What Sly though was funny was that many people, those that had met Gilda, said she was intimidating because of how she looked, while others said it was because of her amber colored eyes... though he, personally, wasn't too intimidated by his sister.

Derpy, on the other hand, had bluish gray colored fur, her hair was light grayish apple green colored, which her tail had as well, and her eyes happened to have the same coloration as her hair, though what sent her apart from everyone else was the fact that she had crossed eyes. Derpy's left eye was almost always looking ahead of her while the right one was either looking at the ceiling or the floor, but never the same thing as her left eye, which had caused some of the other children to tease her while they were in the orphanage. She, like Gilda, was a different species, as while Sly was a raccoon and Gildra was a griffin, Derpy was a pegasus, though instead of walking on four legs like her species' namesake, the one that a hero rode into battle, she walked on two legs like everyone else... though her legs ended in hooves, while she had a pair of wings that grew out of her back, and had pony ears and a pony tail.

Sly sighed for a moment as he briefly recalled meeting the two of them in the orphanage, as that had been the start of something great for all of them, before they met Bentley and Murray... which eventually gave way for the new Cooper Gang, and his new family, to form.

"Here you go," a voice said, to which he glanced to his side for a moment and found Gilda, dressed up in tourist clothing, standing near him with a baked good from one of the nearby bakeries, though he had to resist the urge to chuckle when he stared at the muffin that he ended up taking as Gilda sat beside him, "So, did you find the building?"

"Yeah, it was easier to find than I thought it would be." Sly commented, though at the same time he lowered his voice so that only Gilda could hear him, because he didn't want anyone else to hear what they were talking about, before noticing who was missing, "Say, where's Derpy?"

"Believe it or not, she's inside Police Headquarters at the moment," Gilda replied, though as she spoke she lifted the muffin she was holding up to her face and took a bite out of it, where she smiled for a few seconds after she swallowed the bit she had taken off, "Oh, now that's a good muffin... Derpy is really going to enjoy these."

"WHAT?!" Sly nearly shouted, though he caught himself before he shouted the word out and composed himself, since he and Gilda, along with Derpy for that matter, were supposed to be acting like tourists at the moment, "Why is she inside the Police Headquarters?"

"Getting information!" another voice said, to which Derpy, also dressed up in the same tourist clothing that both Sly and Gilda were wearing at the moment, landed near them and took a seat to Sly's left, though as she took a muffin from Gilda she dropped something into Sly's lap and ignored it, "Yummy muffin!"

Sly glanced down at the small packet of papers that Derpy had 'accidentally' dropped into his lap, though he carefully looked around the area and found that no one was staring at them, to which he picked the packet up and nearly let a big smile appear on his face. This was a notice to all of the officers inside the Police Headquarters detailing the days that the building would be completely empty for the night and the hours of when each officer would be available, but what caught his attention was that in two days the building would be vacant without anyone working that night. The only concerning aspect about it was that there wasn't anything special going on that day, but he decided to shelve that thought as he decided to get the information to Bentley.

Derpy, after acting like a lost innocent searching for the park they were sitting in, swiped the schedule for all of the employees that worked inside Police Headquarters... and, in the process, just got them one massive step closer to completing their mission.


Two days later, or more like three since it was four twenty in the morning, Sly carefully moved across the rooftops of Paris as he made his way towards the Police Headquarters, all while mentally sighing as he realized that, in his eagerness to get this operation over with, he had forgotten about the custodians that worked inside the building. As a result he nearly missed his window to get inside the building before someone showed up for work, but since Derpy and Gilda were near the building, and could fly away at a moment's notice, they opted to recon the building until the custodians had left. Sure, he could have gotten one of them to come and give him a lift to the building, but he didn't want to do that since none of his ancestors had wings like his sisters did... and it made good practice for him, if he did this all the time, to which he mentally chuckled as he remembered that Gilda and Derpy did this from time to time as well.

Still, it didn't take him long to reach the part of the Police Headquarters he had been aiming for the entire time, one of the light poles that rested near a water container, though as he landed on it both Gilda and Derpy, now dressed in their thief attire that matched his own, and came complete with their own Cooper canes, landed nearby... only for them to falter for a moment as a loud screech erupted from all three of their binocucoms, which they all pulled from their pouches and held up in front of their faces.

"Sly! Gilda! Derpy! Come in!" Bentley exclaimed, sounding desperate to reach them at this point in time, though they knew that he was still making sure that their communications couldn't be intercepted by the police or anyone else, "Do you read me?"

"Yeah. We read you." Sly replied, though at the same time he shook his head for a moment, which his sisters did as well, before he focused on the binocucom and Bentley, "Loud and... very loud."

"Sorry, I'm a little nervous." Bentley stated, though at the same time the image in all three of their binocucoms rubbed the back of his head for a moment, showing they exactly what Bentley was doing in his chair at that moment, "Trying to break into Police Headquarters does that."

"Bentley, not to sound rude or anything, but can you please get over it?" Gilda commented, to which she sighed for a moment, because despite the fact that Bentley was a genius he still got frightened easily, even if he wasn't in the field like she, Sly, and Derpy were, "You're safe in the van. We're the thieves here... We've got to steal that file from Inspector Carmelita Fox's office, before she gets back."

"Well, the three of you can count on me to be your eyes and ears." Bentley said, where Gilda noticed that he sounded more confident, though that was only because he was in his element and was letting them do their thing, "I've got their security system totally scoped. To get inside, you're gonna have to go through that air vent."

Sly, Gilda, and Derpy found their binocucums zooming in on the large air vent that was on the other side of the roof, the one that appeared large enough for all three of them to walk through, before the three of them smiled, as it appeared that things would go their way this time around.

"Alright, we're going in." Derpy stated, echoing what was going through both Sly and Gilda's heads at the moment, though before they moved there was a switch in who they were talking to.

"And don't forget you've got me at the wheel, Sly." Murray spoke up, though for the most part he usually spoke to Sly first before remembering that Gilda and Derpy were there, which was followed by him correcting himself, "All the three of you gotta do is grab the file and get back to the van. We'll do the rest."

"Just keep that engine running, Murray." Sly said, to which his sisters put their binocucoms back in their pouches, as they both knew what was coming next, "We'll be down in no time."

Sly remained standing on the light pole he had landed on for a few seconds, using this as a small test of recollection for both Gilda and Derpy, as he had taught them everything he could remember from what his father taught him before the night he was supposed to inherit the family tome. His family, which was made up of master thieves, could tell when there were opportunities to sneak around, something that Bentley called 'thieving opportunities', and he was seeing if they could remember what he taught them. Sure enough Derpy found a path around the water tower's exterior that allowed her to jump on some antennas to get at the vent, to which he and Gilda smiled and followed after her, while at the same time he knew that Gilda had let Derpy impress him first.

Sly knew that Derpy learned things slightly slower than her sister did, but she was still smart and often used her appearance as a disabled person to fool people they were trying to steal from... though he quickly shelved the thought as they entered the air vent and discovered a series of alarm beams waiting for them, with the alarm horn resting at the bottom of the elevator shaft.

Gilda looked at the alarm beams and tucked her wings in close to her back, where she jumped to the right and landed on a small platform that happened to be attached to the wall, before finding one on the opposite side of the shaft they were in and jumped towards that one. Sly and Derpy followed after her, as Sly made his way towards the first one his sister landed on, which prompted her to move onto the third platform that was further below the one he was standing on and made him jump towards the second one. That, in turn, allowed Derpy to jump to the first one as Gilda reached the bottom of the elevator shaft, where she watched her siblings descend down to where she was standing and landed around her, to which she grinned as she broke the alarm horn and unlocked the door to the main hallway.

From there the three of them quietly made their way through the hallway, where Sly once again marveled at how his sisters had adapted to using his family's techniques, as he could barely hear the sound of them touching the floor, before they came to the door that would allow them to enter Carmelita's office. The problem was that it was locked, but for Sly and his sisters they knew there there was always a second way into every location, which happened to involve walking through the open window on their right and carefully sneaking their way across the exterior of the building. At the end of it was another open window that allowed them to enter Carmelita's office, where the siblings noticed that there was a fair amount of pictures and notes about their heists that happened to be attached to a map... which made since considering that Sly had helped Carmelita bust another thief some time ago, helping her out and giving her a 'relationship' with Sly.

Of course by relationship they meant that Carmelita was constantly hunting their gang, generally showing up late every time they stole something from their targets, though Sly chuckled as he approached the large vault near the corner of the room and knelt before it as Bentley told him the combination. A few seconds later the vault door opened and found the file they were here for, detailing everything about Sly and the attack on his family ten years ago, to which Sly grinned as he carefully pocketed the document and left their calling card.

As the siblings exited Carmelita's office, however, they all heard the sound of a shock pistol being primed as the Inspector jumped out from where she was hiding and landed on the top of a sign. Inspector Carmelita Fox happened to be wearing some tight fitting blue jeans, with a blue shoulderless top that was combined with an open jacket for equal parts warmth and freedom of movement. She also had long blue hair that moved in the morning breeze, same with Derpy's hair, though Carmelita had orange fur, as was common among foxes in this world, though Sly knew it was Carmelita because of the intensity in her brown eyes.

Sure enough Carmelita had her pistol pointed at the fire escape that Sly and his sisters were standing on, though he knew that she was actually aiming at the three of them and suspected that his sisters knew what the Inspector was aiming at as well.

"Criminals!" Carmelita declared, though at the same time a small smile appeared on her face for a few seconds, which disappeared a few seconds later as she focused on the trio in front of her, "You foolish raccoon! I've caught you, and your sisters, red-handed!"

"Ahh... Carmelita." Sly said, to which he smiled when he noticed her standing up there and changed his tone to a more friendly one, as he was sure that there might be something between them and was constantly seeing if he could bring that to life in her, "I haven't seen you since my sisters and I gave you the slip in Bombay."

"Which reminds me, you need to return the Fire Stone of India to its rightful owners." Carmelita stated, referring to the stone the trio had stolen earlier, something that they weren't planning on returning, despite the fact that Sly was already planning on mentioning it during their conversation.

"Aw, and I was going to give it to you as a little token of my..." Sly stated to say, though he played it off by noticing Carmelita's weapon, something that his sisters had been staring at since Carmelita appeared, "hey, you know that bazooka really brings out the color of your eyes. Very fetching!"

"You think?" Carmelita asked, though she barely moved as she stared down at the trio, indicating that this time around Sly wouldn't be able to talk his way out of this situation, "This pistol packs a paralyzing punch. You and your sisters ought to try it. Might snap the three of you out of your crime spree."

"And give up our little rendezvous?" Sly countered, though he knew that a suggestion like that meant that this conversation was going south and that they had better get out of here, where he noticed that Derpy and Gilda were ready for his signal.

"Plenty of time for that once the three of you are safely behind bars." Carmelita calmly stated, to which she flipped a small switch and turned the safety off, as she knew that the three Coopers were getting ready to move out of the area and she wanted to be ready to catch them.

"I'd love to stick around and chat, but we just dropped by to pick up this case file." Sly replied, though at the same time he prepared himself for the first shot to be fired, as he knew that Carmelita would be aiming for him first in order to make his sisters surrender to her, "I think you've had it long enough."

Carmelita pressed the trigger and loosed a blast at the fire escape, shaking the entire thing in the process, to which both Gilda and Derpy opened their wings and took flight, where Carmelita surprised Sly by firing at his sisters, who were better at maneuvering in the air than she was. Sly smiled as he made his way to the bottom of the fire escape and raced across the terribly arranged parking lot, indicating that Carmelita had done this to trap them on purpose, but Bentley had prepared for such an event as Murray backed up to the exit of the parking lot. As Carmelita realized what was going on, and turned to fire at him, Sly jumped into the van and Murray got them moving, though as they started moving Gilda and Derpy changed their course and flew into the back of the van... though Gilda let Derpy do it first before doing the same thing.

Within the next few minutes they were racing down the streets of Paris and Sly glanced into the mirror to his right, just in time to see Carmelita disappear into the distance behind them, before pulling out the file they had stolen and smiling... because now it was time for them to find the Fiendish Five, defeat all of them, and recover the pieces of his family's most sacred artifact. He only hoped that all three of them were ready to tackle the Fiendish Five, otherwise his family name was going to bite the dust after so many years of enduring hardships and other rival thieves... and he hoped that he, Gilda, and Derpy could make all of his ancestors proud by the end of this.

Chapters Next