• Published 12th Jul 2012
  • 1,981 Views, 56 Comments

Silver's New Beginning - Silver The Hedgepony



Silver was alone for almost a year. But soon he meets a voice who will show him a new world.

  • ...
7
 56
 1,981

Chapter 8: Taking Off

Silver had finally finished reading the book that Twilight had let him borrow. He had successful mastered almost all the tricks in that book. And now that he had finished getting the hang of magic (Which was quite ease due to him being an alicorn) it was time to start getting his share in work. And pay.
Big Mac had soon finished his meal and went outside to tell Silver what his job was. "Well you see." He started. "We have a problem with some of the clouds around here. Were afraid some of the darker ones will be raining down on the land. Normally that would be a good thing but we haven't finished plowing everything yet. So ah need you to fly up there and move all the clouds away from here."
Silvers heart sank hearing this. He didn't know how to fly. He didn't even know how to expand his wings. But Silver reluctantly smiled and tried to udder the words "No problem..."

Big Mac nodded and turned around before looking back at Silver. "Don't worry if you think it's to much for you to handle. Rainbow Dash will be here soon to help you out. She's another pegasus." He said before leaving Silver.

Silver soon tried to steady his nerves. "Okay.... Flying... I was able to do it before... I gotta be able to do it again...." He said trying to get his own hopes up. He tried for almost 2 whole minutes to just get his wings untucked but with no success. He was getting worried thinking he wasn't going to be able to hold up his part of the deal. That is until he saw a peculiar figure in the sky.
It was quick and had a rainbow trail behind it. It also uddered out the words "Rainbow Dash is here to help!!" At this Silver felt his face go red. He realized how stupid he was going to look not being able to fly. As he saw the figure approach he saw that it was yet another mare. Short rainbow mane and tail. She was blue and Silver was able to see she had the cutie mark of a rainbow lightning bolt and a cloud above it. "Woh..." She said staring at Silver as she flew closer to him staring at him. "So your that new alicorn everypony is talking about. Well I hope you know who I am!" She said expecting some sort of red carpet. Silver only shook his head. "Dangit... I was hoping my fame was growing.. My name is Rainbow Dash! Fastest flier in all of Ponyville! Maybe even Equestria!" She exclaimed.
"My name is Silver. And uhh... I suppose you have heard of me...?"
"Well of course! I think you might be the most talked about pony around here so far. Makes me kinda jealous actually... But I think it's just because we haven't seen an alicorn like YOU ever!" Rainbow replied. "It's pretty rare an alicorn comes to Ponyville but an alicorn with a horn like that must be special you know?" She said. "Anyway. Enough about that. We should probably get to work now. Let's go!" She said flying off as Silver sat there looking at the ground slightly red at the embarrassment. Rainbow Dash turned around and called out towards Silver. "Hey what are you doing? Get those wings flapping let's go!"
"I can't...." Silver said quietly. "I.... Don't remember how...." He said getting quiet. "What do you mean you don't remember?" Dash said sounding slightly annoyed. "Boy your strange." She said as she flew down landing next go Silver as he had explained everything he did to Big Mac and Twilight. "Well that's pretty strange I gotta say... But a flightless alicorn is of no use. You gotta learn how to use those wings again Silver. Otherwise you could be the laughing stock of the whole town!" She said as a smile spread across her face at this thought.
Silver looked at her slightly annoyed giving her that "Haha very funny" look. "Ok ok. Flying is easy Silver. All you have to do is just let yorself feel the extension of your wings." Rainbow said as she expanded her wings. They looked nice and had measured up to her size. Silver stood up and decided he would try as well. He tried feeling to movement of his own body. His front hooves, his back hooves, his stomach, and his back, and the magic in his horn and head. He pictured himself in the air flying gracefully yet fast and nimbly. He opened his eyes and soon after he felt his wings shoot open. They were fairly sized up to match Silvers size as Rainbow Dash let out a short "wow." And at this Silver smiled widely. "Well now that you got the hang of that." Dash said. "Your gonna have to start flapping." She said as she started to flap her wings and uplift herself a little above Silvers head. "Flapping... right..." He said looking at his wings slowly moving them trying to find a steady beat to flap them at. To Silvers surprise he was actually flapping. But not getting anywhere off the ground.Rainbow Dash let out a laugh at Silver. "Ok your wings can't do ALL the work you know. You have to help it out too! Your body has to share the work when flying otherwise you could end up crashing." She said and she started flying around in circles around Silver as though she was examining him.

"I can do this... " Silver thought to himself. "I just won't give up..." He said as he continues to flap as he jumped up in the air and hovering for some time. "Ha! I did it! I did it!" Silver said with a great big smile on his face as he kept rising slowly keeping his mind steady on not falling. He looked down and saw that he was quite some ways off the ground and he was close to the top of the apple tree.

Rainbow Dash let out a sigh of relief as she saw Silver not crashing into anything. "Well now that you got the flying part down. Here comes the tricky part. We gotta start moving these clouds." She said flying closer to him. "But.... How are we going to move the clouds?.. Wouldn't we just go right through them?" Silver asked a little puzzled. "Well to a unicorn and an earth pony maybe." Rainbow Dash replied. "Beut to Pegasus and alicorns it's not a problem at all!" She said flying over to a cloud. "Come here I'll show you." Silver tried to make his way over to Rainbow Dash. He was a little wobbly moving foward and nearly fell down as he saw Rainbow Dash with a huge smile on her face as though she was waiting for him to fall. Silver blushed up a little. Gathered himself and moved to Dash with no trouble. "Ok." Dash started. "When you see these dark clouds you gotta give it a kick. But you have to put force into the kick or you'll just end up pushing the cloud or making water come out of it. And that's not what we want." She said. "Need an example?" She said looking at Silver as he seemed to have a look of 'I have no clue what's going on.' "Yes... Please." Silver said looking at Dash as she prepared herself. She turned around and with her back legs let a mighty buck to the cloud as it poorer into small clouds and into nothing.
Silver opened his eyes wide at this. "Amazing..." He said. Dash laughed a smiled a little. "Now it's your turn." She said as they flew over to another dark cloud. "Remember." She said "Not to little force or else it'll just fly off and let water out. And Big Mac doesn't want that." Silver nodded at her and looked at the cloud. He stared at it intensely and then turned and readied himself to buck it.

Silver had kicked the cloud with some force trying not to use all his energy and as he turned around he saw the cloud poof into smaller clouds and then nothing. He smiled as though he accomplished something big. "Not bad. Not bad at all. Im hoping you didn't use all your force on it though. You only use all that for the bigger clouds around here." She said.
"Don't worry. I suspected as much and didn't." Silver said nodding. "Great! Then let's get these clouds out of here!" She said with a big smile on her face.

It was almost sundown when they finally managed to finish the work Big Mac gave them. Silver and Dash were kicking up the last few clouds. And as Silver kicked up the last of the clouds he let out a sigh of relief. "Hey Dash I think were done here!" Silver said calling out to Rainbow Dash but with no response. "Hey Dash?!" Silver called again. He sighed thinking that Dash had left as soon as the job was done. He had wanted to thank her for helping him but guessed she didn't really care. Just as Silver was about to fly back down he saw another cloud that was sitting there amongst the others. "Oh your a sneaky cloud arncha?" Silver said flying over to it. "No clouds can escape from me though! The all might Silver! Cloud destroyer!" He laughed at this and turned ready to buck the tree.

Just as he was ready to buck it though the cloud exploded into a puff of nothingness and Dash popped out yelling "AHA!!" As she jumped on his back and grabbed him by the neck.
At this Silver nearly jumped out of his skin and and freaked out. He lost control of his wings and started plummeted to the ground. Silver closed his eyes and and his horn started to glow as a white protective bubble surrounded the ponies as they hit the ground and landed in a pile of hay nearby. "Well jeez what did you have to go and do that for?!" Silver said clenching his chest as though he had a panic attack. Rainbow Dash was to busy laughing at how Silver reacted "You shoulda seen your face!" She said laughing uncontrollably. Silver nearly threw some hay at her turning a little red as they jumped out the hay stack and walked towards a large apple tree. "So... What's it like to be a Pegasus Rainbow Dash?... I would like to know..." Silver said as he used his magic thisbis pluck off two apples from the tree and gave one to her and one for himself. "I love being a Pegasus!" She exclaimed happily. "There isn't anything I would rather be! We get to live life in Cloudsdale and help with the weather around Ponyville. And there are a lot of other cool Pegasai around too!" She said.
"Cloudsdale? Where is that?" Silver asked curiously. "It's just above some of the clouds in Ponyville. If a little far flight but very worth it." She said as she began to explain life there and how the weather was made and talked about how she planned to join the Wonderbolts one day.

It was sundown as the two talked for quite a while. "Well I'm glad I was able to meet you today miss Rainbow Dash. I really appreciate the help you gave me today." Silver said smiling warmly. "It really helped." Dash had just smiled and said "Anytime. As long as one day you get fast enough to try and race me! I would love to beat an alicorn in a race!" She said grinning widely laughing. Silver mearly looked at her and laughing alongside her. "It's a deal. But don't expect an easy win." Silver said.

At this Dash looked back up at the clouds and back at Silver. "See ya around!" She said as she trotted to him and hugged him and flew off. Silver sighed happily seeing as how he made a new friend and trotted back to the house to rest up and collect his pay.