• Published 13th Jun 2017
  • 1,806 Views, 23 Comments

My Brave Pony Starfleet Magic: Season III - DakariKingMykan



the Crystal heart is shattered, and it's a race ot gather the pieces, and protect Celestia from an assassin, and Lightning tries to propose to Starla

  • ...
88
 23
 1,806

Episode 7: Reason for Treason

EPISODE SEVEN

One night in the New Crystal Empire, all was quiet. Many of the civilians were at home and in bed and the Starfleet night patrols were out doing their rounds to help keep the peace.

Inside the crystal palace, Robot-Fratello was keeping his guard up for any signs of trouble. He had come quite of ways since he was first given to Cadance and already knew many things. Now as well as being Cadance’s personal servant, he was also programed as a royal guard. He was pacing round the throne room keeping everything copasetic. He suddenly stopped in his tracks and deeply yet softly proclaimed “The time is midnight, and all is well.”

While in the master bedroom Shining Armor was wide awake unable to sleep. Something had been greatly disturbing him lately; something other than Sombra’s forces.

Right next to him, his wife was tossing and turning in her sleep again. Moaning and groaning and hearing Fratello’s voice calling out to her as she had that same recurring nightmare about being unable to save her brother form the robots… only this time… she was face-to-face with Fratello before she killed him, and the time he was begging her to shoot him dead before he shot her as he struggle to hold his evil powers back.

“Sister, please! You must destroy me!”

“No! I won’t! I can’t!” cried Cadance.

“Sister, please…!” her brother begged, and then his evil side took over. “I will destroy you!”

Cadance suddenly found that her powers wouldn’t function, so she couldn’t fire on her brother, and she also found that she couldn’t move from where she was standing. “Cadance…!” shouted Fratello.

“FIRE!” shouted the robot.

“No…!”

The blast was fired and heading straight at the helpless Cadance. She braced for her end as everything went white, and then…

…the sound of the red alarms woke her up! “What? Huh…?” she groaned. “What’s going on? Shining Armor…!” then she noticed her husband was not there in bed beside her.

She got on her night-robe and dashed to the throne room where a terrible sight met her eyes. There was her husband gazing down upon the fallen and damaged Robot-Fratello, and Cadance’s throne had been smashed and tipped over, and the rug beneath it had been rolled up revealing one of her and Shining Armor many top secret safes. The one in question contained valuable information regarding the security works of the entire empire, and all the plans, papers and documents were gone!



The next day, Lightning looked pretty tired when he met up with Starla and Twilight for breakfast. He looked as if he had been up half the night. “Still studying for your leadership test?” Twilight asked.

Lightning yawned and shook his head “Twilight I took my test yesterday. In fact I just got the letter from Grand Ruler today. I passed with a perfect score.”

It was one of Lightning’s required trainings to also study leadership, just like Twilight. For the Starfleet code said that, if necessary, there would be times in which Lightning as one of Starfleet’s most superior and exalted officers would have to take over whole other units, possibly even take command over an entire country. Living with the Grand Ruler and growing up under his teachings for more than ten years on Unicornicopia and seeing him at work taught him a lot about ruling, but as of yet, he never truly had ever needed to properly take over anything really big.

“But that doesn’t explain why you’re so tired.” said Spike.

Lightning tried to speak, but his words were muffled by another yawn. “Pardon…?” Starla asked. Lightning snapped out of it. “It was my horn. It started blinking again. The light was so bright I couldn’t block it out, even when I shut my eyes. It didn’t stop until three in the morning.”

The others all felt confused. “What do you mean your horn was blinking?” asked Twilight. “You sure you didn’t just dream it?”

Lightning looked at her gruffly “No. If I was dreaming, that would mean I got some decent sleep.”

Krysta figured maybe Lightning was telling the truth, and told the others that this happened before. The others began to feel maybe Lightning was telling the truth, but not one of them had any idea of why his horn would just blink like that. “I think maybe it’s a kind of warning.” Lightning said “Like maybe something’s about to happen-- something big.”

That’s when Spike’s stomach began to grumble, and he belched out a letter from their majesties in New Canterlot. “Pardon me.” he said innocently.

Twilight read the letter, and it said that their majesties were requesting all of them to report to the palace immediately and it was an emergency!

“We better go.” Lightning said.

The others nodded and Krysta formed a portal immediately and warped them all off to New Canterlot…



Upon arriving, Twilight was happy to see her brother, and Cadance. They hugged and did their happy dance…

“Sunshine, Sunshine, ladybugs awake
Clap your hands and do a little shake”

Also, they hadn’t come for a pleasant visit, but brought Fratello to Professor Brain to repair the damages done to him. The good professor came out from his workshop. “Give it to us straight prof… is he okay?” asked Shining Armor.

“Oh, satisfactory, most satisfactory. He is as well as well as can be… er… aside from the fact that he is after all a machine, but I am afraid that his memory banks have been blanked out of the events of last night, am I right sir?”

The robot blipped twice “Affirmative. I have no information containing recollection of the events of the previous night. I do not recall even being deactivated.”

“Gosh… whoever knocked him out knew exactly what they were doing.” said Spike.

Goldwin gazed out the window “I don’t understand. Who would want to steal the security plans?”

“…Anyone who would want to weaken the New Crystal Empire’s defenses.” Grand Ruler said “You mean a traitor.” Twilight said.

“Exactly right.” added Celestia “Unfortunately this couldn’t have come at a worse time. Celesto and I were due to leave for a conference in New Cloudsdale to discuss further matters of dealing with Sombra.”

“We won’t be back for a couple of days and emergency or not, this conference is almost too vital to pass up as it concerns other safeties as well. So we want you all to go and investigate this case. There is a traitor somewhere in our midst, and I want he, she, or they found, even if you have to turn the place inside-out.”

The team accepted their orders, and made their preparations to leave. An investigation such as this was likely to take a bit of time. Grand Ruler gave them all final orders. Lightning would be in command of the investigation, and both Cadance and Shining Armor would continue their basic duties of their empire, but not bring deviation of their uncle’s orders.

After leaving Princess Luna in charge of the palace, the team saw their majesties off on their mission and then prepared to leave themselves.

“Good luck everyone.” Goldwin said “I wish I could come with you.”

“We wish you could too, Goldwin.” Cadance said.

“Yeah, but you remember, you have to stay in the palace, or you’ll turn back into a statue.” added Shining Armor. “Just let us know if anything shows up here that could be of help to us.” said Starla.

Goldwin agreed, and watched all his friends warp out. “Boy… I wish I could go off with them and see what the New Crystal Empire is like, or any place at that.”

Luna place a comforting hand on his shoulder “Don’t be sad. Someday your dreams will come true.”

“I hope so.”



Once back at the Crystal Palace, the Captain of the royal guard, Captain Mison-- a golden yellow unicorn with a cuite mark picture of a coat of arms on his armor-- saluted to the team and bowed to Cadance and Shining Armor. “Security has been doubled, but we have no further leads.”

Shining Armor read the reports. “I see. Well, Admiral Lightning, Captain Starla, and my sister will be joining and leading the search now. I want that traitor found.” his voice sounded pretty gruff, and he apologized. “I’m just so worried.”

Cadance calmed him down “We’re all worried, my love.”

Twilight approached her brother “Besides, we’ve been in tougher situations. This should be a snap.”

The others nodded, and Shining Armor smiled. “You always knew how to make me smile Twily. Come here you!” and he grabbed her and pulled her into a noogie, and the two of them wrestled a little bit. Lightning thought of butting in and reminding them about the mission, but decided to let them have their moment.

Soon after that, it was mission time. Lightning supervised the searches around the palace while Twilight and Starla interviewed guards and civilians around the empire if they had noticed any strange activities. Spike and Krysta were helping Shining Armor and Cadance around the palace; of course every now and then they all caught Spike trying to find his way into the royal treasury to peek around at the jewels, only to give him the look. “What? I wasn’t going to eat any.”

Shining Armor was alone in the throne room, and ordered all the guards to search elsewhere. As soon as he saw there was nobody at all about, he moved to a corner away from the doors and windows, and reached behind his throne and pulled out a piece of strange green parchment with a red pencil attached to the parchment on a thread.

He then pulled the seal off of the parchment; it magically glowed along with the pencil…

This was known as I.M-mail-- Instant Magical Mail. Unlike sending regular letters, all you did was write down whatever it is you wanted to say onto the parchment with the pencil, and the message would magically disappear and then reappear on the receiving end of the other party that had the other parchment. It was almost like a telephone conversation.

Shining Armor wrote down “Are you there?” The words disappeared as promised. He waited a moment and then a responding message appeared saying “What have you to report?”

“Everything is going according to plan. Phase two of the operation begins tonight.”

“Make certain you do not fail. Failure would mean disaster for your friends and loved ones.”

Shining Armor didn’t realize that Krysta was fluttering by a window nearest to him, while doing her rounds, and she could see what he was doing and could tell what he was writing by the way he was muttering softly and reading his lips.

Suddenly, he stopped and he looked up. Krysta quickly zipped around the corner out of sight. “Hmm…” Shining Armor had his suspicions. He packed up his magic parchment and hid it away.

By the time the gang gathered together for dinner, they went over all the reports, and all they could conclude was the traitor had to be someone either in, or close to the palace itself. “Whoever it is must have a wide knowledge of where everything is and how to get to it and everything.” Lightning said “And I think they’re going to strike again.”

Cadance knew he was right. Even though the security plans were stolen, there was more to them. She explained that ever since the crystal heart had been shattered, she had been doing her best to keep the empire safe from invaders with her spells and the guards and patrols going about. “Whoever has those plans and documents and deciphers them, they’ll be able to bust us wide open.”

“What do you mean “decipher?” Spike asked with his mouth full.

“Spike, don’t you remember…” said Twilight “Very big and important spells are always written in secret languages and texts to ensure those who are uneducated in such fields won’t be able to read them, but there are ways of making the text readable, even without magic.”

“Just like our visors…” Starla said “They can translate languages and texts in our Starfleet database.”

“And that’s just what’s liable to be next.” added Shining Armor, and he motioned everyone in closer to explain that underneath his throne was safe box containing Starfleet equipment for emergency supplies for those who needed them. The traitor obviously had left in a hurry the other night to avoid getting caught and didn’t have time to even try to steal the equipment, but it was rest assured they were bound to strike again that night, and if they succeeded, with the equipment and the plans, the New Crystal Empire would be in even more mortal danger than ever. All their enemies, especially Sombra would virtually have a free hand, and none of the citizens would be able to perform the most simplest of tasks outdoors without being exposed to danger.

“No!” snapped Lightning as he pounded the table “We won’t let that happen. I won’t let it happen.”

Starla and Twilight agreed, and Cadance and Shining Armor were proud to have them helping, but for now, dinner was getting cold. As they all ate, Shining Armor noticed Krysta wasn’t eating very much. “Are you feeling okay?” he asked her, and Krysta decided to come clean. “I saw you in the throne room using the I.M-mail.”

Cadance looked up from her plate “…The I.M-mail?”

Shining Armor rolled his eyes from side to side… almost nervously. “Well, yeah, haven’t you ever seen anyone use it before?”

“Not the way I saw you doing it.” Krysta said. “It looked as if were talking to someone strange on the other end.”

“Oh, that… it was just me writing to myself. You see, I’ve enchanted the parchment so it answers back to whatever I write to it, like I really am talking to myself. See, sometimes used I like to write letters and instant mail to myself whenever I’m all alone and it helps keep my spirits alive, still do actually, but it’s all just in good fun.”

Even Twilight wasn’t sure she bought that. She never knew her brother to pull gags like that, not even when they were growing up together. “You promise…?” she asked.

“Ah, Twily, would I ever lie to you?”

Twilight believed him, and so did the others, except Lightning “It’s not like him to just goof off like that, especially in an emergency.” he thought deeply. “Something doesn’t add up here.” but he decided not to get any further into it, at least not without more evidence.



That night, security was doubled. Twilight even helped Cadance to put a force-field around the palace that was the traitor wasn’t likely to get through, but night watches were still being carried out. The guards were everywhere, and Lightning was standing guard patrolling the throne room near Shining Armor’s throne; it was still intact.

Suddenly, he heard the sound of footsteps. “Who’s there?” he called out.

Shining Armor stepped into the moonlight, “Easy, Lightning. It’s just me; I came to take over the watch.”

“Oh? I thought Twilight was going to do that?”

“I talked her out it, she’s been working just as hard and she’s tired herself out with the force-field. Besides, you’ve been working hard too, you should rest.”

Lightning felt he had been working a lot, and thought maybe some rest would do him good, but there was still that little part of him inside that hadn’t forgotten about the I.M-mail, and he had been gathering more and more evidence since.

“Lightning…?” Shining Armor called, snapping Lightning out from his trance. “Oh! I zoned out there. Maybe I am overdoing it.” so, he left the throne room and Shining Armor. The second he was gone, Shining Armor glared at his throne sinisterly!



As Lightning walked down the hall to his room, he stopped at one of the windows and saw Starla on one of the higher terraces with her telescope and looking up at the sky. She was off duty for the night, and couldn’t sleep so she was stargazing; as she was an astronomer.

She then turned and saw him gazing up at her, and she smiled at him. Lightning fluttered out the window and up to join her. “What’s a pretty mare like you doing out on a night like this?” he flirted. Starla gave him a teasing look “I’ll have you know sir, my colt-friend won’t take a good liking to you flirting with me.”

“Oh, and I suppose her really wouldn’t mind if I did this as well…” and he softly brought his lips to hers. She slowly curled her arms around his neck and pulled him closer.

For that glorious moment, they felt as if nothing was wrong, despite they were still on a mission, and Lightning began to consider proposing to her right then and there. It was a beautiful night, and the stars were shining like the diamond on the ring he wanted to give her.

“Starla…?”

“Hmm…?”

“I… know we’re supposed to be concentrating on the mission right now, but… well… I…”

“Yes, what is it?” Starla asked with her eyes twinkling like the stars.

Lightning slowly reached behind him, ready to pull out the ring in the box “Starla… I want to ask… if you’d--” but he was cut off by the alarm sounding, and the two of them bonked heads in sudden shock. “Oh…!”

“Ow…! Come on, let’s hurry…!” cried Starla as she ran downstairs. Lightning just couldn’t believe he got interrupted again. “…I can’t take this!” he growled. Nevertheless, he dashed off. When he and all the others got to the throne room, they found Shining Armor’s throne tipped over, the safe beneath it was broken into with the Starfleet equipment missing including the visors to translate the text on the missing plans, and Shining Armor lying on the floor looking as if he had been in one heck of a fight. His mane was all ruffled, his armor was dented, and his left leg seemed hurt.

Everyone helped him up, and got him on crutches. When asked what happened, “I was watching the place and all of sudden I got jumped on from behind.”

“Did you see what he looked like?” asked Krytsa.

“I couldn’t tell. It was pretty dark in here when it happened.”

“Well, I’m not going to hear another word of this.” said Cadance “You’re going to straight up to bed for a rest and give your leg a break.”

“I’m fine, really.” claimed Shining Armor “My leg should be better in the morning.”

“Oh, no; I’m with Cadance.” said Twilight “Now I’m talking you out of your watch. So, go and rest.”

Shining Armor could see he was outvoted. “Okay, but I’m going under protest.”

Starla and Lightning helped him along the way, leaving the others to examine the mess. On the way Starla couldn’t help but feel very concerned. “Now everyone in the palace is under suspect.”

“I don’t like it any more than you do.” said Shining Armor.

Lightning was silent most of the way, and then he asked “Tell me, Shining Armor, what do you suppose would make someone want to turn traitor?”

“Oh, a lot of things-- Money, ideas, power, vengeance, politics, maybe even duty.”

“Duty…?”

Shining Armor nodded “Like duty to one’s self, for satisfaction. Maybe even the protection of friends and loved ones. It one of the first things I learned before I became captain of the Canterlot guards.”

Both Lightning and Starla took that strongly, but not just to heart. “You mean it’s like…. If someone you really love or care about is threatened?” Starla said.

“… Yes, even that.”

They reached the master bedroom and said their goodnights, and Lightning was starting to find it difficult to ignore now, and he told Starla what he had been thinking…

While downstairs in the throne room. The mess was cleaned up, and the others were running questions back and forth with one another. They even asked Fratello for answers. “My memory banks contain the information that Shining Armor was the only one present in the throne room. There was no detection of any other presences leaving or entering with the exception of Admiral Lightning Dawn within the time period.”

“That’s exactly what Captain Mison and the other guards told Me.” added Cadance

“But that doesn’t make any sense.” Twilight said “My force-field is still up, and security was foolproof. So how did the one who hurt Shining Armor get in here?”

“Maybe no one did.” Lightning said upon entering the room with Starla.

“What do you mean?” asked Twilight.

Lightning gazed at her and Cadance. “It’s difficult for me to say this to you both, but I’ve been doing a lot of thinking and… well… I think that Shining Armor is a bit more involved in this whole ordeal than we think.”

“You mean he knows something we don’t?” asked Spike, but both Cadance and Twilight both felt insulted and angry. “No, Spike, that’s not what he means.” Cadance said “Go on, Lightning, say it! You think Shining Armor is the traitor.”

“Now, Cadance, I’m not fully sure. I’m just saying that it’s possible.” said Lightning “Now I know you’re upset, but let’s just try to look at this calmly.”

“Calmly?!” snapped Twilight “You accuse my brother, the co-ruler of this empire of being a traitor and expect us to take it calm?!”

Starla walked up to defend Lightning. “Twilight, we’re only looking at the facts.”

“What facts?” snapped Cadance “…Tell us one thing that even remotely makes him look guilty.”

Lightning spoke calmly and didn’t raise his voice. “Krysta, you saw Shining Armor using the I.M-mail, but let’s all be honest now. Do you all honestly believe he was joking? Well not me… Shining Armor doesn’t kid around like that, and he wouldn’t especially in times of emergency. Besides, whoever heard of the I.M-mail working so you can talk to yourself?”

Starla agreed with Lightning out of factual proof. “I agree with that” said Spike.

The others couldn’t seem to back it up. “But that’s not proof that he’s a traitor.” said Cadance. “No, I agree with that.” Spike said.

“No, you’re right, it’s not.” said Lightning “But how about tonight? He was alone in here. The guards and Fratello saw no one else come in or leave here; yet Shining Armor said he was jumped on from behind and attacked.”

“But… you saw him.” said Twilight sound slightly tearful. “I mean, he was hurt!”

“He sure was…” Spike said as he switched sides again.

Starla shook her head “Did you see any bruising, any wounds, or how about his leg. He says he’ll be fine tomorrow yet he’s in crutches now, and he wasn’t even acting like a hurt fighter.”

Lightning agreed with her “No, it’s no good. I figure he was faking it.”

Spike switched sides again. “Yeah, he had to have been.”

“You figure!” snapped Twilight “It’s just your opinion. You have no proof.”

“No proof at all.” Spike added, again switching sides.

“Your brother’s no fool, Twilight. He may have covered up his tracks well.” said Lightning, and Spike took his side yet again. “Okay, Spike! Stop switching sides!” Twilight angrily snapped.

Spike quivered nervously “I’m just trying to fit in.”

“Oh, stop it, all of you!” growled Cadance trying to fight back her tears. “I can’t believe any of this. I won’t believe it!” but Lightning was not through yet. “What about the other night, when Fratello was knocked out and the plans were stolen? Was your husband in bed with you?”

“Of course he was!” shouted Cadance. She cleared her throat trying to calm herself “We both got off duty together. He was with me when I reenergized the spell around the empire. We both went to bed together. I awoke when the alarms sounded, and--”

“…And?”

Cadance remembered “He… wasn’t there! He was here in the throne room!”

“Yes!” snapped Lightning “He found Fratello knocked out, or maybe he was the one who conked him out. After all he knows as much about him as you do.”

Fratello calculated it. “Probability of Shining Armor’s guilt complied with building evidence; Ninety-eight point two-seven percent.”

Krysta objected “But… if he was already awake, then maybe he could have gotten down here before anyone else did.”

“But that’s just it!” snapped Lightning “If… he was awake. If… it was a gag. If… he was jumped on. If… he was hurt. If this and if that-- There’s just too many ifs, Krysta.”

“Correction!” cried Fratello “Probability of Shining Armor’s guilt, now Ninety-Nine point Nine percent.”

Twilight and Cadance couldn’t try to deny the facts anymore, or fight back their tears of fear. “Oh, my!” cried Twilight.

“What are we going to do?” added Cadance. There was still the slight and only slight possibility that it was all a mistake, but Lightning suggested that everyone keep a close watch over Shining Armor the next day.



The very next day, Shining Armor was up and out of bed, fresh as a daisy and eager to resume his duties and help with the case. He was acting very smug considering his throne had been busted and both the equipment and the plans were gone.

Once again, he ushered all the guards to leave him as he wished to be alone to think. The guards obeyed, and left him alone in the throne room. Once all alone, he snuck to the back and got out his I.M-mail parchment, unaware that he was being closely watched...!

Lightning and Starla were hovering outside away and Starla used her telescope to spy on Shining Armor, and at such an angle she could see what he wrote and what he received on the parchment. The conversation went…

“Are you there…?”

“Was the operation a success?”

“Yes. Everything has gone according to plan.”

“And what of the others…?”

“They have said and done nothing of any concern, but their suspicions are aroused. It won’t be long before they find out what I’m really up to.”

“If you are discovered, you are on your own!”

At that moment, Starla lowered her telescope. “I guess that’s all the proof we need.”

Lightning agreed, but he had been hoping dearly that it didn’t have to come to what he was about to do next. Still, he had no choice. He dashed through the window held out his capture blaster. “Hold it, Shining Armor!”

Shining Armor looked up and glared at him as everyone else came into the room. “I’m sorry about this, but it looks like you’ve asked for it. In the name of Grand Ruler Celesto and Queen Celestia, I’m putting you under close arrest.”

Shining Armor, knowing he was licked and wouldn’t stand a chance against Lightning’s more advanced Starfleet training, surrendered willingly and calmly. “Okay, put your gun away. I won’t give you trouble.”

Lightning approached him still pointing his gun at him. “I… I’m sorry about this, Shining Armor, but… I… I have to throw you into the dungeon.”

Twilight ran over to her brother. “No!” she cried “Can’t he just come to his room? I can look after him.”

“Sorry, Twilight, but I have my orders. It has to be this way. He’s a trai--”

“DON’T SAY IT!” shouted Cadance. Her tears were falling rapidly now. “It’s so horrible. Do what you have to, but please… I beg you… don’t say that awful word.”

Twilight hugged her brother almost not willing to let him go. “Easy, Twily, Cadance… let Lightning do his job.”

Lightning sighed miserably. “Starla, Krysta, Spike… will you three take Shining Armor into prison, and then get Twilight and Cadance to their rooms. They’ve had a nasty shock. They need a rest.”

“Sure, Lightning.” Starla said, and Shining Armor willing went with her and the others to the dungeon below the palace. Cadance and Twilight followed sadly and slowly behind. They were visually in no condition to do any royal duties, which meant Lightning now had to do what he had hoped he didn’t have to.

He walked out onto the main terrace where many of the civilians and the royal guards could see him. “Attention! Attention everyone! This is Admiral Lightning Dawn. As from now, under Starfleet regulations and by orders of Grand Ruler Celesto and Queen Celestia, I have taken over command of the New Crystal Empire. Refer all matters to me.”

The citizens down below were very concerned and confused by all this, but royal guards understood. “Very well admiral. As you say.” said Captain Mison.

“And alert the supreme Crystal Empire Council. I want all their supreme members here to attend a conference in thirty minutes.” Lightning ordered.

“Yes sir.”



Shining Armor, not being a too dangerous and violet criminal, instead of being shrunk down and imprisoned in a sphere, he was merely locked behind bars, chained to the walls, and magical manacles were wrapped round his horn preventing him from using any magic.

Cadance and Twilight kept staring sadly at him. “Why? Just tell me why?” cried Cadance.

“It’s a long story, honey. Right now, you and Twilight get to your rooms and rest. Take them along, would you, Starla?”

“Sure. Come on girls.”

Lightning came in as they exited, wearing an official royal sash and gold epaulets on his shoulders, as he was now officially in temporary command of the entire empire. “I’m sorry about this, girls, but I had no other choice. I don’t like this anymore than either of you do.”

“It’s all right, Lightning.” Cadance said.

“Believe us, we understand.” added Twilight.

“That goes double for me, Lightning.” said Shining Armor “You’re doing the whole empire a good favor by taking over. Celestia and Grand Ruler would be proud as I am. You’re credit to everyone, and good luck with the council.”

Lightning smiled sadly. “Thanks. You’re making a messy job a lot easier. I’ll do all I can to help… at the trial I mean.”

Soon, the ponies of the council arrived and were ready in the conference room. Lightning gave strict orders that they were not to be disturbed on any account, and he left Starla to take over watch in the throne room.

Twilight and Cadance were very worried. “What will they do to my brother?” Twilight asked.

“Well, I guess there’ll be an inquiry, and a court martial, and possibly a world-high trial.” replied Starla.

“We know all that…” said Cadance “But, I’m worried! What if he’s found guilty?”

Krysta griped her scepter nervously. “You know the penalty, Cadance, but don’t think about it. There’s still the chance it could all be a mistake.”

Spike shook his head “Wake up, Krysta. You heard all the evidence, and we caught him red-handed with the I.M-mail.”

The two princesses couldn’t deny that either. “Look, you two better get some rest.” Starla said “I’ll have to get back and watch over the throne room for Lightning.”

“We’ll be okay, Captain.” sobbed Cadance as she dabbed her eyes with a hankie.

“Yeah, thanks, Starla.” cried Twilight as sadly they closed their doors and went for a long rest.

The others sighed softly.



Lightning’s conference proceeded smoothly. He gave his report, and explained of his actions and the council ponies understood completely. “Very well, Admiral. It’s a rough business, but you’ve done the right thing.”

“…Thank you gentlemen. Now to conclude this conference, I request swift, immediate action. I don’t want Shining Armor to be kept in detention too long.”

The council ponies were almost staggered. “You show great loyalty to a traitor, sir?”

“Perhaps, but try and see it from other views. Shining Armor is my friend, and he’s beloved by many and despite his actions, he has served his country his planet and the entire galaxy valiantly in the past.”

“Quite so, Admiral, and that’s what makes his crime all the more serious, but we commend you for your loyalty.”

With all that settled, there was a lot to do before Shining Armor’s trial, but hopefully it was to be done before the next evening. Until then, Lightning had lots to do himself, apart from dealing with Shining Armor; he had bills and documents to look over, decisions to make about the empire. His first day on the throne really seemed boring and the work never ended, but he had to keep going.

Fortunately for him, luck was in sight…!

That night, down in the dungeon, Shining Armor was sleeping in his cell, when he suddenly woke to the sound of his cell being opened by Captain Mison. “What’s going? Don’t tell me I’m being released.”

Mison smiled at him. “Out you come, Shining Armor. Looks like we’re both on the same side, but I never would have figured it.”

“So you were the one who stole the defense plans.”

“Yes sir; and you took the equipment. Looks like our diamond dog friends found a good contact in you, and to think, all this time I thought I was working alone. We may have to fight our way out so take this weapon.” he passed him a small sceptre. “I take it you won’t be afraid to use it.

Shining Armor pointed it right at Mison and sneered “You bet I won’t, Mison. You’re under arrest!”

Mison was confused “What is this? Stop playing around.”

“I’m dead serious, you traitor!” growled Shining Armor “One move and I’ll fire.” But he forgot that he was still in chains and powerless, which gave Mison the chance to knock him at the wall forcing the scepter out of his hand. Mison grabbed it and pointed it back at Shining Armor “Tut-Tut...!” he said “You almost had me there, or I would’ve been in for the hi-jump.”

“More like a hanging by the neck, Mison!”

“Yeah, too bad your little plan didn’t work. Now you’re the one facing death, not me.”

Shining Armor inched softly to the side so he was right beneath the ventilation shaft inside his cell. “I’d just like to know one thing, Mison. Why?”

His voice echoed along the shaft and could be heard in the throne room. “Guys… listen!” cried Spike. Everyone, even Twilight and Cadance listened. They could hear Captain Mison explaining why he would betray his empire…

He had been Captain of the guards for almost two years since United Equestria was formed, and all he ever got was the same old pay for all the pain, suffering and anguish he put himself through just to save others. He felt he deserved more, but he was never permitted to get a raise. “You always scoffed and shouted at me, and denied me everything for all the hard work I gave, and then one day, I was contacted by a group of diamond dogs who promised me all the treasure I could ever want if I helped them get what they wanted; all the diamonds and treasures kept in the Crystal Palace treasury.”

“I see…” said Shining Armor “You were out for your own greedy reasons.”

“Call it what you want. My friends promised me, and they’re nearby in the city for me to deliver what they want; the equipment to decipher the plans so we can all break in without breaking a sweat.”

Hearing this, Lightning quietly dispatched the guards to search the city.

“Now, then…” said Mison “Before I do away with you, I’d like to know something myself, and that’s what all this double dealing of yours is about? You ransacked your own throne, and faked your own injuries.”

“Celestia, Grand Ruler and I knew for some time that a traitor had been plotting against the New Crystal Empire in attempt to pass secrets out. So we decided to lay out a plot to catch you and force you out into the open. We figured that if I posed as a traitor, the real spy would confront me, and we were right.”

“My, my, but that’s quite a plan.” Mison snickered “You had everybody fooled, even your sister and your own wife went for it.”

Shining Armor looked down a bit “That was what hurt me the most, having to deceive them, but it had to be done. I couldn’t tell anyone. One of them could have been the traitor.”

“Too bad it was all in vain. I’ve wasted enough time with you already.”

Shining Armor was completely defenseless and couldn’t escape. “Go ahead, Mison, but you won’t get away with this.”

“I’ve done okay up to now. I’ll take my chances.”

He powered up the scepter ready for the kill, and a loud shot fired… from Lightning who fired a projectile knocking the scepter away. “It’s all over, Mison. You’re licked!”

“Not a moment too soon, Lightning.” Shining Armor said while grinning, and he was released from his chains and they both locked Mison up to await his fate, which would most likely be fifty years hard labor and jail.



The guards returned and informed Lightning that all the Diamond Dogs were found and captured, and the defense plans were recovered, every one of them.

Cadance and Twilight were so relieved and happy; they couldn’t stop hugging Shining Armor. “But wait…” said Starla “Who were you talking to over the I.M-mail?”

Shining Armor snickered and decided to show them. He got out his I.M-mail set, and informed the other party that the mission was completed and they could reveal themselves now. At that moment, two bright flashes of light shone near the way to the big terrace, and Celestia and Grand Ruler appeared, much to everyone else surprise.

“Well done, everyone.” Grand Ruler said with pride “I knew you’d be able to help us solve this mystery.”

“But what about the conference in New Cloudsdale?” Twilight asked.

Celestia chuckled “Twilight, there was never any conference. It was all part of our plan.”

Her husband nodded and explained that everyone had to act exactly as they did, “Especially you, Lightning. We wanted to congratulate you personally.”

“I… I don’t understand.” said Lightning.

“Well, like I said, you acted exactly as you should have. You followed your orders regardless of personal feelings. You took responsibility and did a noble thing by taking over the New Crystal Empire when Cadance wasn’t able to perform her duties.”

Celestia nodded “And most of all, you showed great courage and initiative. You arrested Shining Armor when you suspected his treason, even though the two of you are good friends. Any less of a pony would have avoided this responsibility. Well done, Lightning.”

Lightning proudly bowed to their.

“How did it feel having rule over an entire empire for one day, Lightning?” Shining Armor asked.

Lightning chuckled “I’m not going to lie to you, it was terrible.” he reached up and removed his royal sash “… And in my last official act as ruler, I’m renouncing my royal command and handing it back over to you and Cadance. It’s good to have you back.”

Twilight and Cadance hugged Shining Armor again.

(Promo)

In our next episode, Rhymey and Fluttershy suddenly become frightened of one another after accidentally sharing their first real kiss, and it couldn’t come at a worse time when Frost-Eye comes to retrieve a heart shard located in New Cloudsdale, and captures Fluttershy as well. Now Starfleet has a choice to either hand over the heart shard, or kiss Fluttershy goodbye.

Will they surrender? Will Fluttershy and Rhymey have a chance to work out their problem?

Don’t miss the next exciting episode of “Starfleet Magic”

(Next Episode: “Kiss the Bridle!”)