• Published 12th Jul 2012
  • 5,905 Views, 284 Comments

Mommy Dash - Noratcat



A family story where Rainbow Dash is thrust with a new responsibility upon her life.

  • ...
14
 284
 5,905

Chapter 4

Twilight awoke the next morning, same as always. Yet to her it wasn't a usual morning; the events of last night played a prominent role within her mind. There was the matter of the baby griffon and what Rainbow Dash intended to do with it. Obviously, motherhood was the best route for the little one, species barrier besides. Of course, there was the matter of Rainbow Dash's capabilities. Twilight knew her friend had dreams and ambitions. Those dreams involved the Wonder Bolts, not parenthood. Adoption was the only considered route for the pegasus, but honestly it would more than likely cause trauma to the young child. Yet in a way, it was what was best for the hatchling. Rainbow Dash being a mother played an odd scenario within her skull. Although as much reservation Twilight had on the matters of the matter of raising the baby, ultimately it was up to Rainbow Dash.

“Come on open up.”

A rather soothing voice reached her ears. Next came a garbled sound emanating from the throat (if Twilight had to guess). Following that, there was a squish plopping to solid ground which only ended with a gulp. Curious, Twilight trotted down her stairs to find a sight that absolutely surprised her. The baby griffon sat with its beak wide open. Multicolored mush entered its mouth disappearing down its throat. It's deliverer was a certain rainbow maned pegasus.

“Rainbow Dash?” Twilight asked curiously.

Rainbow Dash turned her head at the sound of her friend's voice.

“Twighlighghbt?” Rainbow Dash spoke with a mouth full of fruit mush.

Twilight backed away with a disgusted look upon her face. Seeing her mistake, Rainbow Dash dropped the rest of the mush into the baby's mouth.

“Sorry about that Twi,” Rainbow Dash said whilst twirling her tongue to wash out the bad taste, “I didn't have any baby food so I borrowed some fruit from you.”

“It's alright.” Twilight noticed a serene look upon her friend's face.

“Are we full?” Rainbow Dash asked in a playful tone.

The baby griffon trilled as the pony tickled its tummy slightly with her nose.

Twilight couldn't believe the sight, quite a change from the previous night. Twilight just had to ask, “Are you alright Rainbow Dash?”

Rainbow Dash pulled away from the baby, noticing the tender moment she presently displayed. “Uh yeah! Everything's cool.” The mare attempted to play off her behavior. “Just hanging with Little G here.”

“Little G?”

“Yeah the baby.” Rainbow Dash pointed a hoof towards the youngster who proudly puffed out its chest. “I mean I had to call him something right?”

That was a valid point. Up until now the baby had remained nameless. Twilight had her own opinions of the title “Little G”.

“What happened to not wanting to be a mother?” Twilight asked.

A slight flush crossed her face as Rainbow Dash remembered her earlier demeanor. Putting back on her cool collected self. “Oh that. Well I mean I aint a quitter and besides, what kind of pony would I be if I gave this little guy up. After all, he imprinted upon me like you said.”

Twilight noted the hypocrisy of the statement, but kept silent for her friend's sake. “I guess that is true.”

Rainbow Dash then smirked. “Besides, seeing as I'm his mother now, he's going to need somepony to look up to, a hero.” The pegasus puffed out her chest as she envisioned herself as a role model. The thought of having somepony look up to her was something that intrigued her greatly. It's wasn't as if she had anyone who was like that at the moment.

XXX

Scootaloo opened her eyes greeting the new dawn. Or rather the picture of Rainbow Dash she hung upon her wall. Yep, it was great to have an idol such as she.

XXX

“So what are you going to name him?” Twilight asked.

“Huh?” Rainbow Dash responded.

“Well you can't just call him Little G.”

Twilight had a point. Throughout the time of this forced parenthood, Rainbow Dash had neglected to name this child. It wasn't as if his biological mother left him anything. Rainbow Dash felt she owed the kid at least something for some reason.

“I guess you're right.” Rainbow Dash agreed.

The child continued to stare at his adoptive mother, before hopping down to greet her. The griffon purred, rubbing his head against her leg. On reaction, Rainbow Dash almost moved her leg away, yet this time she didn't. The child continued to rub affectionately, while Rainbow Dash found a growing smile forming upon her face.

“Well I guess we do need a name for you huh?” Rainbow Dash asked the child.

“Wark!” The child responded.

“Hmm, now what can we call you? Captain Awesome?” Rainbow Dash suggested.

“Wark!” The griffon trilled happily.

Twilight on the other hand wasn't so excited, frowning at the idea. “You really want him to go through life with a name like that?”

“What's wrong with it?” Rainbow Dash inquired, a bit offended that her name choice met with some criticism. “He seems to like it.” The baby griffon stuck out his chest proudly. Just the sound of “Captain Awesome” seemed to bring some sense of pride.

“I just think you could come up with a better name. Like perhaps Archimedes or Icarus?”

Rainbow Dash formed her own frown, perplexing the unicorn. “Uh no offense Twi, but those sound incredibly dorky.”

“They're not dorky! Those are very intelligent sounding names.” Twilight resigned herself.

“Well I don't want my boy sounding like an egghead.” Rainbow Dash declared.

Twilight was suddenly surprised. “Your boy?” She said with a slight smirk.

Rainbow Dash was surprised at her own words. Her boy? By all means that much was true now. Grinning, her cheeks went red from the sudden attention Twilight was giving her. But, she merely held her head up with pride, her mane tossing backwards. The griffon looked up at his parent and did the same, imitating or rather emulating. There was no time to dwell on that, as Rainbow Dash and Twilight had quickly forgotten.

“Well in any case, I'm not giving him those names.” Rainbow Dash reaffirmed.

Before Twilight could argue the exceptional sophistication of those names, but those were put on hold.

“Look Twi, I know this is last minute, but could you watch him for a moment?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“What? But Rainbow-” Twilight argued.

“I really have to get to my weather duties.” Rainbow Dash explained. “I'd take him with me but you know?”

Twilight didn't need it explained to her. Rainbow Dash did have her job and couldn't very well take a child with her.

Reluctantly, Twilight had no choice but to concede. “Fine. It's no trouble.” She sighed.

Grinning, Rainbow Dash nearly left when she felt a nudge. At her leg. Looking downward, she saw the baby griffon. The child looked up at her with its big golden colored eyes, wide and brimming. Rainbow Dash found herself being drawn into it.

“I'll be back soon okay?” Rainbow Dash put a comforting hoof upon her charge's shoulder.

The griffon reached its head up with a nuzzle which Rainbow Dash returned. Twilight watched the scene, her heart warming at the sight of it. Goodbyes were said, and Rainbow Dash was off. The door shut blowing air at the small griffon. The brief disappointment of his adoptive mother's absence vanished the moment he turned his gaze to Twilight.

As Twilight felt the griffon's stare, a sudden feeling of uneasiness washed over her. Yet, she didn't know why.

XXX

Normally Rainbow Dash would find a nice cloud to sleep on after she finished her duties. That was her routine for the most part, although changes occasionally occurred. It was a testament to her care free lifestyle, and that is how she liked it. However, a new little cog had worked its way into her metaphorical machine; the machine being her life.

A cloud here, a cloud there, Rainbow Dash could do this in her sleep. Per usual, she attempted to finish her job as quickly as possible. If only to get back to her “boy”. That word still rang a foreign taste upon her tongue. Quite frankly she had never planned on being a mother, nor even considered it. She didn't find it odd, lots of mares in the world went through life without a husband or children. Those things weren't of any interest to this particular pegasus mare. Yet, here she was.

The air around her blew her coat and mane around. To the ponies below, she was merely a blue streak nearly matching against the sky. The only indication it was a pony was her multicolored mane and the cutie mark upon her flank.

“Almost done.”

Just a few more clouds and she would be finished. With a twirl and dive she cleared away the last trace of stray weather and sure enough, the skies were clear. Well, clear enough that is. A few clouds still remained, but they were ones that were inconsequential to her work.

“There, job done.” she congratulated herself.

With her duty completed, there was no other choice but to return to the library. Hastily she flew until the sight of the tree. Once her hooves touched solid ground, she rapped against the door. Behind it, a series of stomping hooves could be heard followed lastly by the creak of the opening door. Twilight Sparkle stood in the doorway with a disgruntled visage. Tussling her mane about was a familiar bundle of golden grown feathers.

“Wark!” The bundle trilled and leapt from its perch to it's “mother's side”. Twilight winced in pain as the baby momentarily dug into her skin with its talons.

“Heh. Sorry Twi. I know he can be a handful.” Rainbow Dash apologized.

“Tell me about it.” Twilight replied dryly. “So you think up a name for him yet?”

Rainbow Dash pondered for a bit before answering. “You know, while I was up there, I was making sure I finished the job fast. It kind of reminded me of the little guy here.” Rainbow Dash said whilst patting the griffon's head with her hoof.

“I'd say so. My entire book shelf is on the floor thanks to him.” Twilight mentioned with a slight hint of bitterness. More so at what had happened, not towards the child himself. “He's a little whirlwind if you ask me.”

“More like a gale force.” Rainbow Dash joked. “So that's what I'm gonna call him, Gale Force Wind. Gale for short.” Rainbow beamed down at the newly christened child. “You like that name don't you?”

“Wark!” Gale trilled, clearly liking the sound of his new name.

Twilight was impressed; that name was indeed clever. “I'm a little surprised you came up with that.”

Rainbow nearly said something, finding the statement mildly insulting, but lacking a true implication.

“See? I told you this was fate.” Twilight reminded her friend.

“I gotta agree with you, this motherhood thing is going to be tough, but I'm me after all,” boasted the pegasus. “I can handle this thing no sweat.”

It was good to see her friend so confident, especially when she was so frustrated yesterday.

“Well I'm glad things have worked out for you.” Twilight admitted with honesty.

“That's not all. I got big plans for this kid.” Rainbow Dash suddenly declared.

“Plans?” Twilight inquired.

Rainbow Dash's eyes rose to the sky, visions and fantasy's playing out within her head. They were such grand dreams, and they all had one thing in common: they involved young Gale.

“Since “I'm” his mother, he's going to need somepony to look up to; a hero; dare I say it an idol.”

Twilight could tell her friend was already gaining a swelled head as her ego rose.

“I'm going to teach him lots of things, but most importantly, this kid is going to be the fastest thing in the Equestrian skies!” Rainbow Dash then rubbed her nose in Gale's face. “Who's going to be fast? You are! You are! Yes! You are!”

“Wark!” Gale trilled once again.

“Well he is a growing griffon after all, so you have plenty of time.” Said Twilight.

“Oh I'm not waiting.” Rainbow Dash smirked. “The first lesson starts today.”

Twilight blinked in sudden shock and surprise. “What!?” She exclaimed.

Rainbow Dash on the other hand merely smiled and thought of the future. Soon Equestria would cheer the name of Gale Force Wind, son of Rainbow Dash.