• Published 12th Jul 2012
  • 5,905 Views, 284 Comments

Mommy Dash - Noratcat



A family story where Rainbow Dash is thrust with a new responsibility upon her life.

  • ...
14
 284
 5,905

Chapter 1

A sharp rapping knocked against Twilight's door. Slowly she trotted to it, but it seemed the closer she got, the sharper the rapping became.

“I'm coming! I'm coming!” Twilight snapped, mildly irritated about the noise.

A stern look crossed her face the moment she opened the door. The look faded the moment she noticed who was it was.

“Oh Rainbow Dash, I didn't know it was you. How are you?” She greeted her friend with an enthusiastic smile.

Just like her previous look of annoyance, her smile faded into an etch of confusion. Upon her friend's mane, a creature laid atop it. Twilight couldn't believe her eyes, but it was a baby griffon The youngster tussled atop Rainbow Dash's mane tossing and bitting into it with its beak. Rainbow Dash winced in pain as the child continued to rough house atop her.

“Twilight.....help.” Rainbow Dash pleaded.

The baby griffon was suddenly set aglow with a purple light that coated its entire body. The baby was lifted up but not before taking a few strands of Rainbow Dash's mane.

“Ouch!” Rainbow Dash cried as she felt every pluck of hair.

Even in mid air, the baby griffon played with the strands of hair. Twilight held a perplexed look upon her face as she looked to Rainbow Dash. She didn't say anything, but her expression clearly asked questions.

“Um Dash, please explain,” Twilight asked, “Are you babysitting?”

“No!” Rainbow Dash denied.

Twilight was taken aback by her friend's sudden outburst. “I'm sorry.”

“No it's okay Twi. It's just been a rough morning” Rainbow Dash apologized.

“If you're not babysitting, then why on Equestria do you have a baby griffon?” Asked Twilight.

Rainbow Dash took in a breath and exhaled before she began. “Gilda.”

“Gilda?” Twilight repeated. “As in your friend Gilda?”

“Former friend.” Rainbow Dash made certain to put extra emphasis upon the word “former”. “She showed up at my house last night. She looked terrible so I let her in. We talked and I let her spend the night. The next morning she's gone, and I find this on my table.” She pointed a hoof to the young griffon who was still floating in mid air (and not caring). Seeing her spell was still in effect, Twilight set the baby down. The moment the griffon touched solid ground it abandoned its strands and done right for Rainbow Dash's leg. Instead of attacking as it had done to her mane, the baby nuzzled up against her.

“Wark!” it trilled.

“Hey get off you!” Rainbow Dash moved her leg away, but the griffon just pounced again.

“Twilight, do you know anything about griffons?” Rainbow Dash asked.

Using her magic, Twilight scoured through the various books in her library. The magic glow coated the books as Twilight went through them one by one. She didn't open them for she knew their content's well.

“Well there is one book I was reading that mentioned them. I never finished the part to be honest with you.” After a bit of searching, Twilight found the book. “Here it is.” Flipping through the pages, she stopped at the part that mentioned griffons.

“Here we are, griffons.” Twilight searched through the pages fervently, looking up any information that could be useful to her friend.” It didn't take Twilight long to find the info, for she had stopped at the page entitled “Griffon Development”.

“Um Dash? Question.”

Rainbow Dash ignored the baby for a moment and addressed her friend. “Yeah Twi?”

“When the baby hatched, were you the first thing it saw?” Twilight asked

Rainbow Dash held a look of nervousness for a moment, as she sensed the slow repetition of her friend's words. “

“Y-yeah. Why?”

Turning to her friend, Twilight still held her face in a frozen nervousness. It was almost as if she was uncertain how to break some bad news.

“Rainbow Dash, when a griffon hatches, they imprint upon the first thing they see.” Twilight explained. “When they do that, they latch onto whatever they see for protection and nurturing.”

A feeling of dread welled up in Rainbow Dash's chest. “What are you saying?” She gulped.

Twilight sighed. Although she wanted to tell her friend, she didn't know how she would handle it. Looking to Dash though, she could tell that they were simply delaying the inevitable. Best to spit it out now.

“It thinks you're it's mother.” Twilight bluntly stated.

At that instant, Twilight saw Rainbow Dash's eyes widen.

“Uh Dash?”

“What did you just say?” Rainbow Dash asked.

Twilight suddenly felt nervous herself. With a wrinkled brow and a small smile, she repeated, “Well it imprinted upon you and now it thinks you're its mother.

That was all Rainbow Dash needed to hear.

“WHAT!!!???” The pegasus screamed at the top of her lungs.

“Wark!” The noise sent the baby griffon reeling back, but not before going back to its “mommy”. However, “Mommy's” mind couldn't take this bit of news so well. Rainbow Dash suddenly felt light headed and before she knew it, she was out like a light.

XXX

“Rainbow Dash!”

“Wark!?”

Rainbow Dash heard those voices intertwining with one another. They seemed distant and far gone, but their pull brought the pegasus out of the realm of dreams.

“Ugh my head.” Rainbow Dash moaned.

“Rainbow Dash! Are you alright?” Twilight asked concernedly.

Rainbow Dash managed a small smile. “Oh Twilight, I had this horrible dream. I dreamt that this baby griffon thought I was its mother.”

Twilight froze. “Dash?”

Rainbow Dash felt a sensation across her belly. Laying atop it, was the baby griffon, sleeping peacefully.

“It wasn't a dream.” Twilight answered.

Rainbow Dash nearly bolted to her feet, but not wanting to wake the youngster, she carefully picked him up, setting it down with the utmost care.

“This can't be happening!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed. “I can't be anypony's mother! I'm supposed to be training to join the Wonderbolts! I don't have time for this!” Suddenly, Rainbow Dash felt a tug against her tail. Behind her, the baby griffon played with his “mother's” tail.

“Come on Twi, you have to help me!” Rainbow Dash pleaded.

“Rainbow Dash I'm sorry but I don't know what to do.” Twilight admitted.

“Well can't you use some sort of spell to change it's memory. You know? Give it something else to imprint on.”

Twilight was aghast as she gasped. “Dash! Even if I knew a spell like that I wouldn't use it on a baby! And just to let you know, it's a boy........I checked.”

Rainbow Dash felt a pang of guilt for even thinking up such a thing, but she was feeling desperate. She had to find a way out of this. There had to be somepony, anypony who would just take in a sweet, adorable, baby griffon. Wait a moment; Sweet? Adorable? Had she just thought of those words? Never mind that. Dash had to think up a way out of this mess. Then an idea hit her. There was one pony would would just love a sweet little baby such as this.

XXX

“Fluttershy!”

The timid pegasus was momentarily startled by the sound of her own name. To her relief, it was only her dear friend Rainbow Dash.

“Hello there Rainbow Dash. How are-” Fluttershy trailed off the moment she noticed the creature riding atop her fellow pegasi's back.

“Oh my.” Fluttershy put a hoof to her mouth.

The cottage air stood still as Fluttershy noticed a certain familiarity about the baby griffon. It almost looked like a miniature version of Gilda. Oh she had bad memories about that griffon. Not that she would be one to hate another, but the poor thing remembered how frightened she was when the griffon roared at her. Honestly, she had felt some relief when Gilda had left the room.

“Rainbow Dash, why do you?”

“Have a baby griffon on my back yeah I know.” Rainbow Dash didn't want to go into another explanation as to why she had a baby now. Not that he was her baby. “It's a long story. But that's where you come in my friend.”

“I do?” Fluttershy asked.

Rainbow Dash grinned. “Let's step inside your cottage shall we?” Without giving her friend a chance to speak, she pushed Fluttershy into her home. Shutting the door, Rainbow Dash began her pitch.

“Fluttershy. My dear, dear, dear friend.”

Fluttershy suddenly felt nervous for a moment. She didn't like the way Dash was looking at her. “Y-yes?”

“You like animals right?” Rainbow Dash inquired.

“Yes.” Fluttershy squeaked.

Rainbow Dash just knew this plan would work. “How would you like to take care of a sweet, kind, adorable, widdle baby griffon?”

With big eyes Rainbow Dash presented her question to Fluttershy. They were looks of pleading mixed in with sweetness. Fluttershy couldn't deny such a request; Rainbow Dash was sure of it.

“I'm sorry Rainbow Dash, but no.”

That was not what Rainbow Dash was expecting for an answer.

“What!? But why Fluttershy!?” Rainbow Dash asked with dismay.

Looking around her cottage, Fluttershy answered. “W-well I have a lot of animals already and besides he's a baby.”

“So? You handle baby animals all the time.” Rainbow Dash argued.

“But not baby griffons; besides, he seems attached to you.” Fluttershy pointed out.

The baby settled upon his imprinted mother's back. Rainbow Dash growled in irritation.

“Come on Fluttershy! Can't you do this for me? As a friend?”

Fluttershy found a “no” coming, but just looking at Rainbow Dash's pleading face just made it sink back into her throat. Rainbow Dash needed help with this, that much was certain. Though still a part of her wanted to deny this request. She knew nothing about griffons, let alone how to take care of them. But, then again, she couldn't turn down a friend in need.

“Well.” Fluttershy began.

Rainbow Dash's grin grew steadily wider. This was it. Her burden would be lifted!

“Wark!”

All of a sudden, the baby griffon cried. Rainbow Dash at last noticed that the baby had left her back, and was now currently upon the floor. The baby was running across the floor chasing after somepony. Or rather, somebunny.

“Leave my Angel alone!” Fluttershy cried chasing after the baby.

Just then, something was knocked over. Rainbow Dash stood there and watched as she watched carnage unfold. The baby would chase after the fleeing Angel as fast as he could. Everywhere they would go, something would break. Each time that would happen, the chase would resume and something else would break. Rainbow Dash winced as she saw the chaos unfold throughout the tiny cottage.

“Wark!”

The baby griffon cried again. A bundle of fur and feathers bolted to Rainbow Dash. The youngster cowered beside the adult pegasus. Angel stood by his mistress with a triumphant look across his face. Fluttershy's look was one of dismay as her cottage living room was in a state of disarray. Rainbow Dash knew it was time to leave.

“I'll just be going then.” With that said, she walked out.

Hearing a purring noise beside her, she looked down to see the baby rubbing up against her leg. Rainbow Dash grimaced as she was faced with a cold hard fact.

“I'm stuck with you aren't I?”

The griffon looked up at her with its big old golden eyes. “Wark!” It trilled happily.

Sighing, Rainbow Dash trotted back to Twilight's house. She would need to borrow that book. After all, one needed to know how to take care of a baby griffon, and she was currently stumped on griffon genealogy.