• Published 21st May 2017
  • 5,773 Views, 173 Comments

A Dragon's Heart - NightShadow-z



Spike has loved Rarity since he first moved to Ponyville. But, what will he do if she ever breaks his heart?

  • ...
13
 173
 5,773

Chapter 12

The door to Spike’s room slowly opened, light from the hallway illuminating his resting form on the bed, his breathing slow and calm. Twilight Sparkle gazed at her number one assistant, a smile gracing her lips.

Already asleep. She thought as she watched him sleep. I envy his ability to fall asleep so fast sometimes.

Closing his door, she slowly entered his room and gently climbed into his bed next to him, using her magic to lift up the blankets and snuggle up against his chest. Once she was comfortable enough, she set the blanket back down around them and closed her eyes, smiling as she breathed in his comforting scent.

He always manages to keep the nightmares away. She thought before her mind succumbed to the relaxing feeling, using her magic to turn off his alarm as she fell away into dreams.

*****

Spike stared up at the clear night sky as he rested on a grassy hill, his hands folded behind his head and his ankles crossed. He couldn't remember the last time he felt so relaxed, or even the last time he fully relaxed. Twilight was a mess without him, as she couldn't cook a thing without almost burning down the castle, nor did she remember to put books away after she was done with them, though, that was more a bad habit she picked up when they used to live in Canterlot.

"Old habits die hard." He muttered to himself with a slight chuckle.

"Indeed they do, Dragon Spike." Was suddenly spoken from above him.

Yelping a bit in surprise, Spike's eyes shot open as he watched the Princess of the Night descending toward him, an impish smile on her face. "Though, I think you know that better than anyone." she finished as she landed next to him.

Sitting up Spike sighed in relief. “Jeez, you scared me,” he told the moon princess, trying to calm his rapidly beating heart. “Wait, shouldn’t you be in Canterlot right now?” he asked her, suddenly remembering Princess Celestia’s and Discord’s wedding a few days ago.

“I am in Canterlot,” she answered. “We are currently in your dream.”

As if to prove her point, it started raining gemstones, all of Spike’s favorites, emeralds, rubies, and even diamonds. Upon seeing such delicacies falling from the skies, his mouth started watering, salivating over the pile of gems that was beginning to form. Then what Princess Luna finally registered with him.

“Wait, this is a dream?” he asked, looking over at the dark alicorn in surprise.

“Yes, Dragon Spike,” she answered. “It’s sort of my birthday present to you, as I was told by Twilight that I shouldn’t get you physical gifts.”

Spike chuckled a bit nervously, scratching the back of his head. "Yeah, that was a bad time for everyone involved," he replied, the memory of spending time in Canterlot and singing about wanting to die coming to mind rather easily. Then, something Prince Blueblood once told him came to mind. "Oh, yeah, what's number five?" he suddenly asked her.

If Luna had been drinking something she would've spat it out at Spike's question. As it was, she nearly choked on her own saliva.

"I heard that you had to put Prince Blueblood through a number five while I was staying in Canterlot after my greed growth incident," he explained. "Though, he himself refused to elaborate what a number five was."

"Trust me, Spike," Luna started, sounding how she normally did when it was just her, Celestia and Spike. "The less you know about it, the better," she promised, making Spike more curious, but also dreading the answer.

"Alright. Anyway, you said this was a birthday gift. May I ask why?" he asked the Lunar Princess.

"It is because you have been suffering from nightmares for the better part of a week," she answered, sounding concerned. "Twilight is growing increasingly worried with each one you have."

Spike sighed, looking back up at the night sky, watching as two shooting stars flew across the starry backdrop. "I know. Unfortunately, I think only time will help me." he finally replied after a few moments of thinking.

Luna nodded before her ear twitched a bit. "Ah, it is time for me to lower the moon so Celestia can raise the sun," she told Spike. "I hope you enjoy your birthday."

And with that, she spread her wings and flew off into the night sky, flying through the moon and out of Spike's dream.

*****

As Spike slowly woke up, he couldn't help but smile at the fact that he finally got a good night's sleep thanks to Princess Luna. Resting in his bed, he kept his eyes closed until his alarm was to go off.

Wait a minute… He thought to himself, suddenly realizing an issue. I never wake up before my alarm. Nor do I ever sleep through my alarm.

With his mind now fully awake, he became aware of several things. First, it was brighter in his room than it should be when he wakes up. Second, Twilight wasn't breaking down his door to wake him up. And third, there was another body in his bed with him.

Quickly opening his eyes, he pulled the covers off him and looked down at the sleeping form of Twilight Sparkle curled up against his side, her head resting gently on his chest.

As the light hit her still closed eyes, she scrunched them tightly closed, trying to stay asleep, but, she was already awake. Slowly opening her eyes, she lifted her head off of Spike's chest to look straight at him.

"Oh," she muttered, not surprised to find him awake. "Morning, Spike." she yawned out, staying curled up against him.

"Uh…. What are you doing in my bed?" he asked, sounding very confused.

"I had a nightmare last night, and you always have a way of calming me down," she explained, blinking the sleep out of her eyes. "But, when I came in here, you were already fast asleep. So, I turned off your alarm and climbed into your bed to keep any other nightmares away."

Well, that solved all three mysteries for Spike.

Sighing a bit, he placed a hand over his eyes for a few moments before removing it. "Alright. Well, good morning, Twilight." he finally replied.

She smiled at him before stretching out and sliding out of his bed onto her hooves. Using a burst of magic, she opened his bedroom door before walking out into the hall. "By the way," she told him, stopping just inside the hallway. "Happy birthday, Spike," she said with a happy smile before heading down the hall.

*****

As Spike made his way into the main hall, he was suddenly blasted by a few bursts of confetti, temporarily blinding him from the impact. "Happy Birthday!" Was suddenly shouted by a group of ponies, with Pinkie Pie, unsurprisingly, being the loudest.

When he could see again, he saw Twilight, Pinkie, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Fluttershy, Rarity, Starlight Glimmer, Trixie, Big Macintosh, Granny Smith, Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, Derpy and Doctor Whooves standing around the room and smiling at him.

Blinking a bit, Spike chuckled softly before walking the rest of the way into the main hall of the castle. "Thanks, everyone," he told them as he looked around at all the purple and green balloons, streamers, and party hats. "Though, you do know that I would've been fine with just a cake."

Pinkie gasped as if the idea itself offended her.

"But that would mean we couldn't throw you a party!" she lamented. "And we want to throw you a party because you're an awesome dragon, and you always help us out whenever we need help, even when you have things that you want to do, and I know that it makes you sad, and no one should feel sad, especially not on their birthday, and today is your birthday, and I wanted to make you happy, so I had to plan a party and-"

"Pinkie, ah think ya need ta breath." Applebloom reminded the pink mare.

"-get all the decorations and make sure that you were here." Pinkie blinked as Applebloom's words suddenly thank in. Taking a deep breath, she sagged a bit with a slightly dopey smile on her muzzle. "Oh, that's better."

Everyone laughed a bit as derpy flew up to Spike with a green party hat that read "Birthday Drake" on the front in purple letters. Smiling, he took the hat from her and placed it on his head, his topmost head spine being covered by the hat.

"Thank you, Derpy." Spike thanked, smiling at the grey pegasus.

"No problem, Spike," she replied happily.

For the next few hours, Spike talked with his friends, playing party games, like pin the tail on the dragon, musical chairs, and even spin the bottle truth-or-dare. Spike had gotten dared to eat a whole cupcake, wrapper included (which he did easily), use his tail like a spatula with a cookie (a little harder, but, doable) and to spin around in a too-too (which was very embarrassing).

Once the party started to wind down, Trixie and Starlight used their magic to blindfold Spike and lead him to the town square.

"With the way you're leading him, it looks like you all are going to play a round of Blind Man's Buff." Doctor Whooves spoke up as they walked.

"Blind Man's Buff?" Spike asked, not bothering to turn his head toward the Doctor.

"It's a children's game where one pony is blindfolded and has to try and find the others. Barnable used to love that game." Doctor Whooves explained, a bit of a wistful undertone to his voice.

Derpy giggled somewhere behind Spike. "Doctor, they don't know about your adventures." She reminded.

"Oh… Right…" The brown stallion replied, sounding a bit embarrassed.

Spike was suddenly stopped, causing him to nearly trip, if not for a familiar feeling magic surrounding his torso.

"Thanks, Twi."

"No, problem, Spike."

After a few minutes of waiting, the blindfold was finally taken off him to reveal that he was standing in front of the stage that Trixie and Starlight were performing on.

"Fillies and Gentlecolts, Stallions and Mares of all ages!" Trixie's voice suddenly sounded out from the stage, as lights shined onto the closed curtain before them. "Welcome to Trixie's and Starlight's birthday bash magic show! This show is a special birthday present for our good friend, Spike."

The curtains opened up and the Magic Show commenced.

As the show went on, Twilight gently tapped on Spike's arm. "Hey, Spike? There's something I want to talk to you about." She told him a bit nervously.

Turning to face her, he smiled kindly at his oldest friend. “You know you can talk to me about anything, Twi,” he told her, smiling.

Fidgeting a bit, the lavender alicorn, looked up at Spike with her eyes hiding behind her bangs slightly, before she looked back down at her hooves. “Can… can you kneel down? I don’t want everyone to hear it right now.”

Tilting his head a bit, he gently knelt down in front of her and nodded, smiling kindly at her, hoping to help her relax.

Everything seemed to grind to a halt as Twilight leaned up to him and pressed her lips against his, gently cupping his cheek with her hoof as she did. As the two kissed, Spike felt like the fireworks for the magic show were set off early, even though he knew they weren’t.

Once Twilight pulled back, too soon for either of them, she had a soft blush gracing her cheeks.

“I love you, Spike.”