• Published 21st May 2017
  • 5,759 Views, 173 Comments

A Dragon's Heart - NightShadow-z



Spike has loved Rarity since he first moved to Ponyville. But, what will he do if she ever breaks his heart?

  • ...
13
 173
 5,759

Chapter 5

Twilight lay on her bed as she silently cried, watching Starlight stare at her room wall, a thoughtful look plastered on her face. She wanted to go find Spike and tell him how she felt just to get it over with, but the logical side of her brain told her that Spike might find it as a cruel joke, so she decided to wait for Starlight's opinion. Glancing around her room, she looked at all the mementos she had gathered throughout the years to distract herself. Her bed was in the far right corner of her room, with her desk placed right next to the head. Along the right wall were a few posters of different plays the Crystal ponies had put on about Spike saving the Crystal Empire, she even got him to sign the one that has him looking like a big strong hero. She blushed at the picture before moving on to the front wall, where a few shelves of her personal books were located. The Elements of Harmony guidebook was among them, as well as a few dragon and pony romance novels. She hasn't told Spike about them yet, as she didn't want him getting embarrassed over her own interests.

Moving on to the left wall, she looked at the frame that held half of Spike's shell from when she hatched him. She and Princess Celestia shared the halves of his shell, as they both considered each other guardians of Spike. A bittersweet tear slid down her eye and she returned her eyes back to Starlight, knowing the only other thing on the left wall was the door that led to her personal bathroom, and Spike's old basket.

Finally breaking the silence, Starlight sighed. "Well, it's not surprising that Rarity would react that way. She has her muzzle stuck so far up the plots of the Canterlot Elite that she can't see the consequences of her words or actions." She commented, sounding annoyed.

"I know," Twilight started before pausing. She was actually feeling a bit of anger towards the seamstress mare, which she thought would never happen. Annoyed maybe, but never angry. After a bit of thought, she realized that she actually wanted to be angry at her for hurting Spike like that. "But that still doesn't give her the right to just destroy his heart like that. I don't care if she does idolize the Canterlot Elite, she should know better than that."

Starlight opened her mouth to agree when a purple flame flared up and deposited a letter right next to Twilight. Raising an eyebrow curiously, the lavender alicorn levitated it up and began to read. After a few minutes of silence, she let off a depressed sigh.

"Spike's with my brother in the Crystal Empire. Maybe being there for a few days is exactly what he needs." She told Starlight, looking up at her.

Starlight frowned but nodded. "Well... Then we need to get you ready for when he returns." She told her, suddenly smiling.

Twilight looked up at her friend with a worried expression. "What do you mean by that?" She asked cautiously.

Starlight just grinned at her before walking out of Twilight's room. "You'll see."

*****

Over in the Crystal Empire, Spike was sprawled out on the ground of the main guest room, just too tired to move. The cold had done a number on his body, sapping his energy until he had collapsed in the snow where Shining Armor had been leading a squad through training.

The door to his right opened and he looked up and over to see a crystal guard escorting a crystal pony who was carrying some hot soup and a mug of hot cocoa.

"I thought you could use some hot food, oh great and wonderful, Spike." The mare said, placing the tray of food in front of him.

"Oh. Yeah, I don't do well in the cold." He admitted sheepishly. "Thank you."

She smiled and blushed at his smile, even if it was a sheepish one. "Oh, uh, it's no problem." She answered before scampering out the door, leaving Spike confused.

"I'm sorry to bother you, oh great hero Spike." The guard finally spoke up. "But, Princess Cadence would like to speak with you."

Spike sat himself up and nodded. "Okay, I'm ready."

The Crystal guard saluted and walked off to get Cadence. While he waited, he started glancing around the room. There were two big beds sitting side by side in the middle of the far back wall, with a dresser on either side of each bed, each topped with a crystal lamp. Along the right wall was a desk and mirror for ponies to get ready in the morning (even though he didn't even need to do anything to get ready, due to not having a coat nor mane or tail). The left wall was plain, save for the different shades of blue that the whole room had, and a door near the back of the wall leading to a private bathroom.

Well... He thought to himself. It is a guest room. Even if it was the same guest room he's shared with Twilight for the past 2 years, given his new size.

As Spike took the mug of hot cocoa and began to gently sip at it, he heard a soft knock at the door, followed by Cadence's soft, caring voice.

"Spike? May I come in?" She asked him gently.

"Go right ahead, Princ- Er, I mean Cadence." He called back. Ever since he first found out he was a hero in the Crystal Empire, he's had trouble remembering to just call her Cadence. It just... didn't feel right to him.

"I felt something wrong with your heart, so I decided to come see if there's anything I can do." She explained.

Spike blinked, then sighed. There was no way he was hiding this from the Princess of Love herself.

"Yeah... there is something wrong." Spike answered uneasily. "And I wish it was over with already."

She gave him a puzzled look as her head tilted to the side, causing Spike to sigh. Biting the arrowhead, he resigned himself to just tell her what was going on in between bites of the hot soup.