• Published 21st May 2017
  • 5,765 Views, 173 Comments

A Dragon's Heart - NightShadow-z



Spike has loved Rarity since he first moved to Ponyville. But, what will he do if she ever breaks his heart?

  • ...
13
 173
 5,765

Chapter 8

Spike flew through the warm air above Canterlot, glad to be out of the snow of the Crystal Empire. He was feeling much better than when he had arrived there two days ago and was ready to start helping Twilight around the Library again. He reminded himself that he shouldn't avoid Rarity, but at least move on from her. Her point of view stung, yeah, but at least he knew how she felt now.

There was a sudden gust of wind, knocking him off course for a bit, as he slowly started to spiral down before he managed to correct himself and get back onto his previous flight course. He sighed in relief, before opening his eyes to look back into two aquamarine ones staring right at him.

Giving off a yelp of surprise, he stumbled in the air a bit and had to catch himself before he fell again.

“We are... I mean, I am sorry Dragon Spike.” Princess Luna apologized. “But my sister has requested your help in a personal matter.”

Spike sighed, knowing nopony can say no to a direct summons from Princess Celestia, unless you either have a banishment wish or just feeling ballsy.

“Alright. But, can you send a letter to Twilight, explaining this? She's expecting me to get home today.” He replied, resigning himself to helping.

“Of course,” Luna replied, with an impish smile on her face. “In fact, she's been summoned to come to Canterlot as well for the same reason you are.”

“Oh... well, okay then.” He shrugs. “Alright, well, I'll head down to the throne room then.”

Luna gave him a single nod in return before watching as he made a lazy loop and flew down toward the Castle of Canterlot, most of the city flashing past him as he flew. Making his final approach to the castle, he used his wings to slow his descent before gently landing in front of the main gates, the guards looking at him in shock, before getting ready to charge.

“Seriously? I know I haven't been to Canterlot much since moving to Ponyville with Twilight, but that doesn't mean-”

Sadly, he didn't get to finish his sentence as one of the guards charged at him, knocking him flat to the ground, his armored hoof pushing down on Spike's throat, making it hard to get breath into his lungs.

Just before he passed out from lack of oxygen, he heard a very pissed off Princess Celestia charging at them.

*****

Twilight sat with her friends in one of the many passenger compartments of the train as they rode up to the great city of Canterlot, from a direct summons from Princess Celestia. Of course, she was a little sad that she wouldn't be able to give Spike his little surprise, even if he was also going to Canterlot.

“So, she didn't give any reason at all as to why we were all summoned?” Applejack asked, sounding confused.

“No. All the letter said was that she needed us all in Canterlot as soon as possible. I just hope it's nothing major.” Twilight replied, sounding just as confused, if not a bit frustrated over the whole ordeal.

The rest of the train ride was uneventful as the train slowly made it's way past the Canterlot mountain range, and into the royal city itself, where they found that Princess Luna was waiting for them.

“You must come with me to the castle immediately.” She informed them. “Spike is in the castle infirmary.”

“What's wrong with Spike?” Twilight asked immediately after hearing that Spike had been injured.

“Unfortunately one of our guards did not know who he was, and attacked, mistaking him for a rogue dragon.” The Lunar Princess informed them. "Thankfully, Celestia saw this and saved Spike before taking him to the infirmary.”

Twilight was furious. As they all followed Princess Luna up to the great Canterlot Castle, she couldn't help but growl out little threats about if she ever caught who hurt her Spike.

“Twilight, um, please calm down, um, I mean, if that's alright with you, that is,” Fluttershy spoke up. “B-but I don't think Spike would want you to be mad while he's resting in the hospital.” She continued, causing Twilight to sigh, calming down a bit.

She was right of course. Spike would try to calm her down, let her know that he was alright, even if had a bloody bandage around his torso. Actually, come to think of it, he did have a bloody bandage around his torso once. That had been a bad time for all of them, not just her.

“You're right, thank you, Fluttershy,” Twilight replied, smiling at her.

“Before we enter, I must ask that you do not cause any outburst,” Luna told them as she turned to face them. “Even if he wakes up, he is going to be a little sore. The guard that attacked him was a unicorn and knew a spell that would allow his hooves to harm Spike through his scales.”

Twilight grit her teeth at the news, but kept her anger in check as much as she could, nodding to Luna while the others voiced their agreement.

Luna nodded in reply to them before opening the door and walking into the infirmary, only to see Spike sitting up, wide awake. But something still felt off about how the drake was acting. Celestia stood near Spike, two slices of birthday cake floating in her magic while she magically fed Spike like she used to when he was younger, seeing as she still considered herself his mother.

“Spike!” Twilight called in relief as she as she quickly made her way to the side of his bed. “I’m glad to see you’re up.”

“Yes, I was concerned as well for a while there,” Celestia commented. “But thankfully he’s doing better. I’d hate for him to have to spend all day in the hospital on my birthday.”

Twilight gasped at the news. “Happy birthday, Celestia!” She called, before giving her old mentor a hug.

Spike gave a quiet snicker at the scene, causing Applejack’s eyebrow to raise in suspicion. “Why ain’t ya sayin’ anythin’, Sugarcube?” She asked.

That’s when they all realized what was wrong with Spike. He opened his mouth to answer, but no noise came out of it at all, even though his lips and tongue were moving.

“Spike, unfortunately, has gone temporarily mute due to how hard the guard was holding his windpipe down.” Celestia finally revealed, causing every mare present, including Princess Luna, to gasp in utter shock.

Twilight quickly looked over at Spike and saw his head droop, tears starting to fall from his eyes, said tears quickly crystallizing into the rarest gems possible, Dragon’s Tears. And she knew that he rarely cried, only when he was truly afraid of losing somepony, or when his heart or trust was damaged in such an irreversible way. Spike was afraid that he’d lose the support and love of his friends until his voice returned.