• Published 21st May 2017
  • 5,765 Views, 173 Comments

A Dragon's Heart - NightShadow-z



Spike has loved Rarity since he first moved to Ponyville. But, what will he do if she ever breaks his heart?

  • ...
13
 173
 5,765

Chapter 4

Spike stayed quiet as the train continued on towards Ponyville, the memories of what happened at the train station still fresh. He was just surprised that Twilight didn't blast him. Of course, after the whole mess with the misunderstanding of Spike, he couldn't really blame her if she had.

*****

The stallion stared at Twilight with a guilty expression on his face. "Oh. Um, sorry. I thought dragons stayed one way forever." He told them, to which she just smacked her face with a hoof. "I was wrong, I'll admit that now!" He rapidly added.

Spike sighed, standing up and rubbing his jaw. "It's fine. Next time, when a dragon tells you something about dragons, you should listen, as we're the experts on Dragons, not whatever books that ponies have written." He told him. "By the way, you never really told us your name."

"Oh, I'm just an Alchemy Student." The stallion told them, waving a hoof.

"Then do you mind if we just call you Alchemy Student?" She asked.

"Oh, um, of course!" Alchemy quickly agreed. "Uhm, anyway, I have a spare room. If you two want to wait a night to go home, you can..."

"That's OK. I actually have preparations to continue tomorrow." Twilight replied. "And besides, I can just stay with my parents or in the Canterlot Castle if I have to stay the night in Canterlot."

Alchemy's ears lowered and he looked down at his hooves. He opened his mouth again, no doubt to offer something else to her, but the train finally pulled in to the station.

"All aboard!" The conductor called out.

"That's our train, Spike," Twilight said as she turned and walked on, paying for hers and Spikes tickets without another look to Alchemy.

*****

Spike looked down at the gently sleeping Twilight, who was currently using his lap as a pillow, silently wondering how she didn't just blast the stallion. But, she seemed to have gotten a bit more patient since becoming an Alicorn.

The train suddenly slowed down, causing him to lurch forward in surprise, holding Twilight close to him so she didn't fall on the floor of the train cabin. Why she elected to sleep on his lap rather than one of the beds was beyond him.

Suddenly remembering that they slowed down, he looked out the window and saw the darkened buildings of Ponyville coming into view, and he realized that they were arriving at their stop. Spike didn't think he should wake Twilight up just yet, so he gently scooped her up in his arms once the train had stopped and started carrying her back to her castle.

The streets were dark and empty, which was just fine to Spike. He didn't feel like having another run-in with another crazy pony. Which was really saying something given where he lived. Chuckling at his own stupidity, he slowly opened one of the massive blueish purple doors of Twilight's castle, careful not to jostle the sleeping Alicorn.

Making his way up the stairs, he tried to figure out why Twilight was defending him so much at the train depot. She could've just told Alchemy Student that dragons age much slower than ponies in a calm tone, but, she seemed close to blasting him instead. Was she...?

Spike shook his head, dispelling the thought. "No... Ponies should be with ponies..." He muttered dejectedly.

Coming to Twilight's door, he quietly pushed it open and gently tucked her into bed, turning out her light on the way out. He took one last look at her before walking away, and passed his own room, needing to be alone for a while.

Waking out onto the balcony, he passed a sleeping Starlight Glimmer, who was atop a pile of books, the image reminding him of one of Twilight's long study nights.

Entering the cool night air, he spread his wings and, with a few mighty flaps, ascended into the air.

*****

Twilight sat on her bed crying. She messed up, big time. This was even worse than the time she freaked out when she forgot to send Princess Celestia a friendship report. She had hurt Spike with her careless words. Spike, the oldest friend she'd ever had, the one who was always there for her.... and the one she was falling in love with. How she wanted to tell Spike how she felt, but, the fear of her friends, namely Rarity, disliking them being together weighed heavily on her mind.

A sudden knock on her door brought Twilight out of her thoughts and back to reality.

"Twilight?" Starlight asked from the other side of the door. "Can I come in?"

Twilight quickly wiped her tears and ignited her magic, opening her door for Starlight to enter. "Yeah, come on in." She replied, smiling sadly at her.

"Is something wrong?" Starlight asked, sharp mind quickly coming into play as usual.

"Yeah... It's Spike." Twilight answered. "I... Said some things I shouldn't have and I hurt him greatly. I... I just...." Her voice cracked as she fought back tears yet again.

"Tell me what happened. I'll see if I can help out." Starlight offered with a patient smile, sitting next to Twilight on her bed.

Twilight smiled back and began to tell her everything, starting from when Spike came back from Rarity's boutique.

*****

Spike screwed up and flew too far north, the wintry winds of the Crystal Empire battering his wings with enough force to destabilize him a few times.

"This is bad..." He muttered to himself. "If I don't land soon I could be stranded out here."

It was all pointless, however, as a strong gust of wind suddenly blew in from the west, knocking him out of the sky and causing him to land in a snowy outcropping. Pulling himself out quickly, he tucked his wings in as to not damage them any more than they probably were.

Looking up, he was relieved to see the Empire's Arora shining brightly in the night sky. He smiled and started to follow the lights, knowing that the Crystal Empire would welcome their hero with open hooves, even for just a night or two. Plus, he would be able to get some advice from Cadence, the Princess of Love herself.

With newfound determination, Spike placed a burning ball of spit into his right claw and walked on, glad his dragon's fire was magical enough to withstand the high winds of the far north.

"I'm sorry Twilight. Please be patient." He whispered, hoping she would forgive him.