• Published 9th Jul 2012
  • 2,228 Views, 45 Comments

Like a Broken Record - HeartBeat



I never would have guessed that a relationship that ended so tragic, led to something that makes me feel so good to finally have close to my heart.

  • ...
1
 45
 2,228

Chapter 4: Passing Time

Chapter 4: Passing Time

I watched as the wood began to burn away in the fireplace. The snow had began to fall again, adding a new layer of white. A sudden knock on my door startled me. I opened the door to see Flare. He had a big smile on his face and a scarf around his neck.

"Hey, whats up?" I asked him opening the door wider.

"I just got two tickets to the winter gala! You wanna come?" He asked, holding out two tickets.

"How in the hay did you get those?" I asked him.

"My parents decided that the gala would be too much for them. So for some reason they gave them to me." He explained.

"Do you think you should, I don't know, ask a mare to go with you?" I told him.

"Hm.... But who would I ask?" He said tapping his chin with a hoof.

"How about that mare you've been telling me so much about?" I asked, thinking of the many times he had spoken about her.

"I don't know. She may not say yes." He said scratching his head.

"Never hurts to try." I told him.

"I guess you're right. I'll go talk to her today." He said looking down at the tickets.

"Go get her, friend." I said, patting his back.

He dashed out into the snow covered road and was on his way to get the mare of his dreams. I closed the door and returned to the couch. I looked around my house to come up with something to burn some time while I am waiting for tomorrow to come. I trotted around the house to find something that would take a while. My stomach growled and echoed thorough the house. Instantly, I got the idea to make myself something to eat.

I opened the pantry and got the bread and a soda. From the fridge, I got some sweet daisy flowers that were wrapped in a bag. I also grabbed some hay and placed it in the oven, just to make them crispy. After a few minutes of preparation, I looked over my masterpiece of a sandwich. The three layers of flowers made my mouth water. The hay fries let out an amazing aroma that made my stomach growl again. Just as I was about to take a bite, I loud banging on the door interrupted me. Sighing, I placed the sandwich on the plate and opened the door.

"Hey man..." Flare said, holding the tickets in his mouth.

"Whats up, did you chicken out?" I teased.

"No... She is going with somepony else." He said.

"Oh, that's a bummer." I said, sitting in front of him.

"Here," He placed the tickets in my hoof and smiled up at me. "Take that new mare you met to the gala."

"No way, man. These tickets are too much for me to take." I said holding the tickets back out.

"Nope. You take them. I'm not a dancer anyway." He said backing up.

"Well... Thanks. I owe you big time." I said looking down at the two tickets.

"I'll see you around, Snow." He began to trot away.

"See ya, and thanks again!" I said, closing the door.

I looked down at the two tickets and couldn't believe it. I got two tickets to the winter gala in Canterlot. And I have a chance to go with Vinyl. I set the tickets on the table and looked over to the kitchen.

"Now. About that sandwich..."

I returned to my seat and delved into my delicious meal. It didn't seem to last long because of my hunger. I looked out the window and chewed on a piece of hay. The snow sprinkled around the neighborhood. I looked over to a mountain and saw a rather large hill. Ponies of all ages were sledding down the steep slope. I got an idea that may cheer up Flare with his failed attempt with that mare. I threw my coat around me and tightened down my scarf. I grabbed something out from my shed and was off to Flare's house.

I approached his door and knocked on it a few times. The colt answered the door and gave me a depressing smile. I held up the sled in front of me and smiled.

"Let's go sledding, and get a few drinks to warm us up afterwards!" I said, trying to excite him.

"Hm... I guess? Isn't sledding for little ponies?" He said grabbing his coat.

"Hay no! This is the most fun thing to do during winter!" I said, sarcastically.

"Okay, I guess I'll grab my sled then we'll head out." He said returning into his house.

We approached the large hill and began the climb to the top. After a few tiring minutes, we got to the top and collapsed in the snow. Standing back up, we positioned ourselves on the edge of the slope. A competitive expression grew over our faces, as if we were little colts again.

"Okay. Last one to the bottom, buys the drinks!" I grinned.

"Sounds agreeable." He said, looking down to the bottom.

"GO!" We shouted, and launching ourselves down the hill.

The snow was kicked up as we sped down the hill. I looked over to see that Flare was laughing as he sped past me. I leaned forward and began to gain on him. He looked over to me and stuck out his tongue. The forest below was approaching at high speeds. Then the greatest question at the time rang in my head.

"How the buck do we stop?!" I yelled, smashing into the snow and trees below.

I flew a good ten feet before landing face-first in a pile of snow. Flare landed a few feet away from me and we both began to groan in pain. I leaned up and shook my head of the snow. I held a hoof to my aching neck.

"Okay, let's just skip ahead to the drinks. Agreed?" I said, trying to get on my hooves.

"Agreed." He mumbled, leaning against a tree for support.

We somehow managed to get to the bar in one piece. The barpony greeted us and gave us two shots of their special for the day. Not even knowing what was in the drink, we gave a toast and knocked the drinks down. The cold suddenly vanished as the strong alcohol burned at my throat. I looked over to see Flare couching.

"Smooth..." Flare roughly said through his coughs.

I laughed and began to add our drinks to my tab. A few drinks later, I decided to cut myself off. Flare, on the other hoof, decided to have a cider drinking contest with some work stallion. The large red stallion drank about a whole barrel's worth before Flare gave in. The large stallion bit down again on his piece of hay and returned outside to the cart of apples. I was shocked that he could still stand up straight after drinking so much, but he also managed to haul a cart down the snow covered road. I turned back to see Flare with his face plastered against the bar.

I laughed and helped him up. I trotted outside and called a cab to get us to his place. Flare began to sing "Winter Wonderland" and the cabpony and I almost died of laughter. Not only did he forget the lyrics, but his constant hiccups interrupting the song was brilliant. We got to his house and I helped him inside. The cab driver waited in the road for me to return. I opened his door and Flare collapsed on the couch. Of course, he instantly fell asleep and I trotted out the door. The cab driver took me home and I payed for the trip. I entered my house and looked around. The dark room was welcoming. I was far too tired to do anything else. So, I went upstairs and crawled under the covers. I blinked a few times and let a heavy slumber take over.

>Author's Note:
Okay, so if you haven't read my most recent blog post, I am very happy to wake up to 22 new notifications. It makes me very happy to know that there are someponies out there who really like my fics. This story will continue for a few more chapters, unless I come up with more story to tell. I hope that my editor will start to look over my stories again, I kinda miss him :c
But Flare is his OC and I thought he may find it quite humorous as I make him seem. Anyway, please leave any feedback for me. Everything is really appreciated.