• Published 29th Oct 2018
  • 719 Views, 65 Comments

Caverns & Cutie Marks: High School, High Stakes - TheColtTrio



Once again Purple Heart, Light Patch, and Wits End are hauled into the world of multicolored pastel ponies. Only this time, they're multicolored pastel humans...

  • ...
5
 65
 719

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 1: Return to Innocence, or ‘How I Learned to Once Again Ballet Like the Pros’

By a strange twist of fate, the two figures at one time known as Purple Heart and Wits End had arrived for fencing at the same time. They chatted amiably as they walked up the stairs to the upper level of the garage where they practiced their poking capabilities. Passing through the door to the loft, they balked when they noticed the third and final member of their group. Rather, the lack thereof.

“Wrong side.” They turned curiously to find him cleaning the mirror wall.

“...In all our years fencing up here,” Purple Heart hummed, “you have never, not once, cleaned that wall. What gives?”

“I figured it’d be nice if we could actually use it to check our stances against,” the bespectacled figure previously known as Light Patch replied. “Also, I’ve been thinking about picking up ballet again and I’d need a clean mirror for practicing that too.”

“Important question,” Wits said in a stern tone. “Where did that other person come from?” he asked, glaring at his reflection. “Who is he?”

Purple rolled his eyes and dropped his fencing bag in its usual spot by the wall opposite the mirrors. “I’d say evil twin, but we all know you’re already evil,” he offered, dropping his water jug beside the bag.

“Probably the good twin then. Try barking at him and see if he goes away,” Light Patch replied as he continued to clean the mirror. A few moments later, he turned to look towards his friends who were going through pre-bout warm ups and stretches. “Do you think we should put it all up on a fanfiction website?” he finally asked.

The man formerly known as Wits looked up from checking his equipment. “Put what on the who now? What is the ‘it’? Is ‘it’ nice? Is ‘it’ juicy? Is ‘it’ scrumptiously crunchable?”

“Your diary. You know, the one you hide in my head so I can’t find it,” Light Patch dead panned. “I mean… the, you know, the ‘adventure’?” he finished quietly.

Wits raised an eyebrow. “Adventure in… babysitting?”

“Adventure in manga buying?” Purple asked. “Steam binge buying? Shirt buying? Duck game sal-” He was cut off when a wet rag smacked into his face.

“I will not allow for another SGVing up here. I’m talking about the adventure we had in… around… near.... Equestria's general location?” Light shook his head. “In the game with the Mane Six and Discord,” he finished with a huff, making a ‘gimmie’ gesture with his hand towards Purple.

Wrinkling his nose disdainfully at the dirty rag, Purple Heart poked it with his toe and flicked it back across the loft to Light. “What about the pseudo Dungeons and Dragons game with the Mane Six and Discord? Did Hasbro contact us saying they want to make it canon?”

“I believe their exact words were something like this,” Wits said. He then proceeded to say absolutely nothing for a good 10 seconds. “Yeah, I think that was it,” he finished. “To be serious for a brief moment, putting it on a fanfic site would be a good way to get it out there without looking absolutely insane.” He frowned. “We’d be crucified for having such blatant self-insert OCs, though…”

“Yeah well, it’d be weird to edit myself to not be me, but still do and say the same things I say and-” the rest of Light Patch’s sentence was cut off by an involuntary shout as he fell forward through the mirror wall.

Purple and Wits blinked at Light’s abrupt disappearance in stunned shock. A groan escaped Purple Heart as he shuffled over to the mirrors. “What in the heck?” he mumbled, poking a mirror with a finger. Just like with Light, the wall phased, letting Purple’s finger sink into the mirror. “Fudge bollocks.”

“Ooh, fancy,” Wits said, running a hand through the mirror like it was a pool of water. “Dude!” he said, raising his voice to call through the wall. “I didn’t know you got magical Through the Looking Glass mirrors installed!” There was silence for a couple of seconds. “You alright in there?”

“I don’t think he can hear us,” Purple Heart mused thoughtfully. “I mean, it is a wall, albeit very...stargate-like at the moment…” He blinked and realization dawned on his face. “Aw fudge. I think it’s happening again.”

“Looks about right… Think we should go in after him?” Wits asked.

“Well, yeh, he’s our friend,” Purple Heart said. “But should we go one at a time or at the same moment, or-” Purple Heart was cut off. Wits End clapped his hands together after shoving his large friend into the mirrors after Light Patch.

“This is what I do, my friend,” he chuckled to himself. “Say hello to the nice giant! He adores visitors.” Silence fell around the garage, save for Wits’ light breathing. After a few seconds, he frowned. “Ah bugger. I gotta go after them both now, don’t I?” He sighed and shook his head. “Well, on the plus side, no-one’s here to call me out for doing this…”

Wits took a few steps away, setting his fencing equipment down before turning back to the mirror. He shifted his stance slightly, and took a run at the wall. A running jump, and he flew feet-first at the mirror in a flying dropkick. “SUUUUUUUUUUUUU-”

* * *

It had been such a promising start to the day, Hortensia thought as she stared at the teen who’d just tumbled through the mirror of her dance studio’s main room. This used to be such a quiet town. She raised an eyebrow as the teen picked himself off the floor, after he’d mumbled to himself for a few moments.

Light Patch looked around the room he’d found himself in, noting the similarities to other dance studio rooms he’d seen. Eventually, his eyes locked on the other person in the room. More specifically the interesting shade of blue slate her skin appeared to be. His eyes shot open as he looked at his hands only to find them gray. “Oh no, not again,” he muttered.

“So, you’re here to tell me I’m a magical princess that needs to save her kingdom? Or do you just tumble through mirrors a lot?” Hortensia asked.

“No and no?” Light Patch replied; but anything further was cut off by a flash of light from behind him.

“GOSH FUDGED BOLLOCKS, WITS!” cried Purple Heart as he crashed to the hardwood dance floor, thus changing his target of swears. “GOSH DARN FLOORS! I AM… NOT OKAY!”

“Should I go get the medical kit, or?” Hortensia asked warily as she backed away from the still swearing teen. “By the way, are there gonna be more of you? Because I’d rather like to get back to what I was d-”

“-PEEEEEEEEEEEEER!” A pair of feet clad in red and white hightops flew through the mirror, followed by the small mint-colored form of Wits End. The flying kick collided with the back of Purple Heart’s head just as he picked himself up, resulting in the larger teen being knocked to the floor again, and the smaller one skidding across the polished ground like a hockey puck until he collided with the opposite wall. “Are we in Kansas anymore?”

“And there's the last one. And that medkit might be a good idea, yeah.” Light Patch said, walking over to stand closer to his downed friends. “Hey Sanka, ya dead?”

“If he were heavier,” the purple skinned teen mumbled, “I’d be in danger of dying by squishy whiplash.”

“Well, you aren’t,” Hortensia sniffed, “so would you kindly explain what you boys are doing here instead of in school? I must say, the magic trick was impressive; but you should be focusing your energies towards studying. And dance... Mostly dance.”

“And I’d just forgot that the next quarter of college was about to start.” Light Patch walked over to the wall to go back. “We’ll be outta here in a ji-” His hand meet firm resistance when it touched the mirror, causing him to finish in a squeak of fright.

Wits picked himself up, walking back to where the other two teens were. “What’s up? Cold mirror?”

“It’s not letting me through,” Light Patch replied, trying to go through again.

“Did you try knocking politely?” Purple Heart inquired from the floor. “Or a password?” He cleared his throat and glared at the mirror, bellowing in an epic voice. “OPEN SESAME!! Any luck?”

“Nope,” replied Light Patch.

“Alohamora! How about now?”

“Fail.”

Mellon!

“Purple, it’s no-”

“I’m one with the Force, the Force is with me?”

“IT’S NOT WORKING!” Light Patch snapped. “It must have closed behind us. If it’s like a similar object from where I think we are, it… it might not open for a while,” he finished quietly.

Purple Heart rolled from his back up to a standing posture and looked at Hortensia. “Where’s the Dial-Home Device? And for crying out loud, where’s Daniel Jackson when you need him!”

“Probably killing Seth Peterson,” Wits muttered. “So, at least we have fingers this time?” He looked down at his hands, frowning at their greenish-blue tint. “Aaaaand apparently I’m Dr. Drakken?”

“Nah, he was way more blue gray than blue green. I wonder though,” Light Patch looked in the mirror and found that his hair was once again brown, but with the pink streak through it. “This may not be Discord's fault, but I’m gonna blame him for it anyway,” he muttered.

“Seconded,” Purple Heart chimed, glaring at his complexion. “I look like Simon’s Quest night palette. And I really want gold highlights now… At least I have my typical clothes: shorts and a t-shirt.”

“And you look good, and I’m really happy for you three,” Hortensia began sweetly. “I’ve gotta finish practicing my routine, and you three are kind of in the way. So, get out!” she finished, shoving the three towards the door.

Wits tried to stop their path outwards, but found no love on the dance floor. “Wait, you don’t understand! That mirror’s the only way for us to get-” The door slammed behind them. “...Okay, we’ll just see ourselves out then!”

“In her defense, we did throw off her groove,” Purple Heart pointed out as he shuffled over to an open patch of grass across the street. He crossed his legs and plopped to the ground, resting his elbow on his knee followed by chin on hand as his two compatriots joined him. “Anyways, thoughts? We’re pastel colored but not ponies. We have fingers and all our appliances and limbs... Equestria Girls?”

“It looks like it. The next big question would be when? Given that lady’s response to us just appearing through a wall, I kind of doubt it’s before the first one… so no evil Sunshine maybe?” Light Patch finished with a shrug.

“We have no real way of knowing until we get to Canterlot High. Speaking of which, we should head towards that way, considering it seems to be the main plot point of the movies,” Wits mused as he rubbed his chin. “Huh, smooth. I don’t remember shaving today…”

Rolling to his feet, Purple Heart shrugged his shoulders and looked down. He opened his mouth to speak but paused, considering his body for a brief moment. “Huh,” he hummed. “I’m slimmer than I was earlier. Does jumping through mystical mirror portals drop pounds? I haven’t been this fit since high school. Y’know, baseball and all that stuff.”

“You know, speaking of that, things seem a bit taller than they used to,” Light Patch chimed in, looking around.

Wits End froze. “Guys,” he said. “Guys. You know how we turned into ponies last time? Since EQG takes place in high school, you don’t think we’ve…”

“Light Patch!” an eerily familiar voice called out from down the street, prompting the boys to turn to the source. Rapidly closing the gap was an older man in what was obvious to them as a police uniform. “Hah! I thought it was you,” the older officer said, stopping in front of the gaggle of teens.

“Uh, hi.” Light Patch awkwardly replied.

“Sorry to interrupt you and your friends; just thought I’d say hi. Don’t see you without your face reflecting the computer screen and whatever you're working on at the time,” the officer said before waving to the younger officer beside him who was eyeing the group suspiciously. “I was just out on patrol. Giving my replacement a chance to have the office to herself for a change. A little trial by fire. So, workbug, I don’t have to arrest you for working without a licence or anything, do I?” the older officer asked, a knowing smile on his face.

“No, I’m just kind of taking it easy. Trying to... not burn out and whatnot.” Light Patch replied with a half hearted chuckle.

“You just don’t wanna fess up that you’re family friends with Just Duty, heroic chief of this fine city's police force.” Just Duty said, imitating a heroic narrator and missing the look of fear from the colts.

“For another month anyway,” the younger officer said, earning a small glare from Just Duty.

“Oh, let me have some fun, Officer Armor,” Just Duty muttered before looking back at Light Patch. “So, who are the friends that I have humiliated you in front of?”

Purple Heart blinked, processing bits of the short monologue in chunks. “Ehm, Purple Heart, sir,” he replied. “I’m not sure you humiliated him...” He gave the grey teen a glance. His brows furrowed upon seeing his friend frozen in place, eyes wide and mouth gaping most fish-like. “Huh, guess you did.”

“Wits End. And I think ‘broken’ is more accurate,” Wits End said, standing on his tip-toes to wave a hand in front of Light Patch’s face. “Then again, I’ve seen worse.” He turned back to the pair of officers. “Not to be too nosy, but how do you know Light Patch, mister Officer Just Duty sir?”

“I know his parents. Used to see them around town back when I was a beat cop and about forty years younger. Those two teens were always causing trouble; his mom was a real firebrand, and his dad just went along with her, more than happy to help. Got me in trouble a couple of times too,” Just Duty said, his eyes glittering as he remembered the good times. He shook his head to clear the memory. “Bah, you don’t wanna hear an old man go on about the good old days. And Armor and I should get back to our patrol. See you around, workbug, and good on ya for trying to not burn out again,” he said, starting to walk away only to be halted by Shining Armor clearing his throat.

“What is it, Armor?”

“I just wanna point out that it’s midweek.”

“So?”

“It’s midweek and a little after noon?”

“Which is why I was making patrol tracks towards Sugarcube Corner.”

“Shouldn’t these three be in school?” Shining Armor said with a frustrated sigh. Just Duty turns to look at Light Patch.

“That is a good question. What are the three of you skipping school for?” Just Duty asked, looking at the three.

The three teens were silent for a moment. “Um,” Wits muttered, his voice getting quieter as he trailed off. “Going to… the uh… pudding store. To get some… uh… pudding. For… school… things.”

“I’ve interrogated murderers. You’re gonna have to try harder than that,” Just Duty said, clearly unimpressed. “Anyone got anything better?”

“We were.. .hunting for… snipes?” Purple Heart asked. Just Duty arched an eyebrow. “Yeh, snipes. Beady eyes, loves eating azaleas… also partial to chocolate...” Shining Armor strangled a laugh and had to use a hand to hide his smile as Just Duty crossed his arms.

“Good movie, poor excuse. I’d have gone with either finding the meaning of Rosebud or discovering the ultimate question. You’re oh for two now. Care to try for three?” he said, looking at Light Patch who just shrugged. “Wise choice. Well, I know what school Light Patch goes to, but not the other two. Do either of them strike you as Crystal Prep material, Armor?”

“Crystal Prep takes all sorts, sir,” Shining Armor replied. “After all, they let me in.” The briefest of smiles flashed across his face. “Canterlot High is nearby. They should have access to the inter-school charter. I would take them there and find out where they go from there.”

“Sounds as good a plan as any. Let's try to make this quick; I don’t wanna miss lunch if we can help it,” Just Duty said, motioning to the boys to follow along.

Grumbling under his breath, Purple Heart glanced at his comrades. “Welp, I see no safe alternative,” he sighed. “I’m certain that if we ran, he’d have no qualms about tazing us. And I’d rather go without getting a warhammer’s worth of volts through my body, thank you very much.”

Shining Armor blinked. “Um, actually, Mister Heart, it’s only about one thousand volts,” he corrected.

Swinging around to glare at the younger officer, the purple teen snapped, “I. Dun. Care. Buzz off, Jingles.”

“Let’s try to not dig ourselves into too deep of a hole. If we get hauled in or something, then this world's Light Patch’s parents get called in and we’re gonna have to explain why there is two of me. Maybe two of all of us,” Light Patch whispered.

“Things are getting out of hand,” Wits grumbled. “Now there are two of them.” The group began following the officers and after a few minutes Just Duty kept looking back and Light Patch with a strange expression.

“What?”

“I can’t shake the feeling that your parents would be proud of you,” Just Duty admitted with a frown.

PreviousChapters Next