• Published 13th Jun 2017
  • 3,082 Views, 114 Comments

The Chaotic Three: A Zany Story - LunaJack



Jewel is trapped in her job as a high society fashion model. Can her friends Zany, Twinkle, and Applespike help her escape so she can find happiness with her one true love?

  • ...
3
 114
 3,082

Twinkle's Tower

“Then Jewel led us across the campus and, well, here we are,” concluded Applespike. He and Jewel sat at a table across from Twinkle Sparkle, enjoying a snack of milk and donuts. The dragon-pony wasn’t exactly thrilled with the milk, which was not farm fresh, but Jewel filled her glass again and again.

“It’s been a long time since I’ve tasted whole sweet milk,” she explained as she licked the milk moustache from her lip. “Celestia help me, if somepony offers me another glass of skim or coconut milk, I believe I will scream!”

“I always wondered how you get milk from a coconut,” Zany mused as he lazed in a hammock Twinkle had fashioned for him from an old blanket. “I mean, what do you squeeze? Where are the udders?”

PFFFFFT! Milk sprayed across the table, hitting Twinkle in the face.

“Sorry,” Jewel managed to choke.

“It’s okay.” The little alicorn wiped her face with napkin. “If only Cherry Signfield, up there would take a nap, like I TOLD him to—” she added, giving Zany a glare.

“Well, I’m sorry, but Jewel’s story was so interesting I just had to stay awake to hear it.” Zany turned on his side and peered proudly at the little unicorn. “You did good, kid,” he said, levitating his glass of milk and clinking it against hers. “You did good!”

“What did I tell you about that!” Twinkle cried. She seized his glass with her aura and wrestled it away. “No magic! The only cure for Magical Exhaustion is rest.”

“Yeah, yeah, I know,” the chaotic colt muttered petulantly. He rolled onto his back and stared at the rafters. “Of course, I’d probably sleep better if I had a blanket and a pillow. Honestly, Twinkle, being the host and all, you could offer to make your guests comfortable.”

Twinkle sighed.“Fine.”

She tossed him a small blanket and feather pillow. Zany looked at them, a big mischievous grin spreading across his face.

“Could you cover me up?”

“What?”

Zany looked down at Twinkle with big sad eyes and a quivering lip. “Could you please cover me up?” he asked again.

Twinkle took a deep breath and counted to ten. “Of course,” she answered sweetly. She tucked the pillow under his head and spread the blanket over him. Zany wriggled happily down into the hammock.

“Is that better?” Twinkle asked.

“Yes, thank you.”

“Good. I need to talk to Applespike about—"

“But, could you plump up my pillow?”

Twinkle gritted her teeth. “What?”

“Could you plump up my pillow for me,” he repeated. “It’s a little flat.”

Twinkle’s face blazed red. “All right,” she snapped. She flew up so she was hovering over the draconequess, snatched up the pillow, shook it out, and gave it a few good whacks with her hoof.

“Anything else?” she growled as she tucked it behind his head again.

Zany looked thoughtful.“Ummm…”

“Ask me for a teensy-weensy glass of water and you lose a fang!”

“I think I’m okay for now,” said Zany airily. He wriggled comfortably down into his cocoon and waved a dismissive hoof. “Ask me later.”

“What did you want to talk about, Twinkle?” asked Applespike before the angry alicorn could turn the hammock into a slingshot and send his friend crashing through the roof. “We got Jewel. What else do we need to do?”

“We need to get Jewel’s parents up here as soon as possible,” replied Twinkle, fluttering down to her place at the table. “They need to be here so they can claim her. Otherwise, she may have to go back with Picture Perfect.”

“W-what!” the little unicorn blanched. Applespike threw a protective arm around her and drew her close to him. Angry smoke billowed from his nostrils.

“I’d like to see the varmint try and take her!” he growled.

Twinkle shook her head. “If her parents aren’t here, she may have no choice. Jewel is a minor. Picture Perfect is her legal guardian when Rarity and Fancy Pants aren’t around. If he has a good lawyer, it wouldn’t take much for him to convince the authorities to hoof her over to him.”

“He does have a good lawyer,” Jewel despaired. “Mare Culpa. One of the best business lawyers in Manehattan.”

“I’ve heard of her,” Twinkle tapped her chin thoughtfully. “Is she the one who drew up your contract?”

Jewel shook her head. “No.That was a stallion lawyer from Canterlot named Salty Goodpony. Picture Perfect was in a hurry to get me, so he hired him to handle the details.”

“A cheap lawyer, no doubt,” Twinkle snorted derisively. “This might be easier than I thought.”

“Twinkle,” Applespike leaned towards her, eagerly. “Are you hintin' that you know a way we can get Jewel out of that contract?”

The little alicorn grinned. “Maybe…” she said. “I can definitely throw doubt on it. I’ve done some research on the Equestrian Labor laws and I believe Jewel’s contract may be in violation of those laws.”

Jewel pressed her trembling hooves to her mouth as a small tear trickled down her cheek. “Does…does this mean my contract is null and void?” she whispered hopefully.

Twinkle sighed and shook her head. “I wish it were that easy. The problem is you signed the contract. Any lawyer worth their salt would argue that, legal or not, you signed and accepted the conditions listed in it.”

“But I didn’t know!” Jewel cried. “I would have never signed if I had known!”

“I know that, sweetheart.It’s okay.” Twinkle dried the unicorn’s tears with a hoof-kerchief. “Here, blow.” She held it as Jewel blew her nose and carefully wiped her muzzle. “I said it wouldn’t be easy. I never said it was impossible.”

“But, how?” asked Applespike.

“The answer to that, my dear dragon pony, would require more research,” replied Twinkle, grinning again. “Luckily, I have a friend who has taken an interest in the case and has agreed to assist with my investigation. I am expecting news from her anytime now.”

“So, what do we do now?” asked Jewel.

“We get a message to your parents, telling them they need to come to Canterlot at once.” Twinkle levitated her quill, inkwell, and parchment to the table and began to write. “Hopefully, Picture Perfect won’t realize you’re here, and that will buy us some time.” She glanced at Applespike. “Have you ever sent a message to somepony other than Jewel?” she asked.

“Yeah, I’ve sent Ma and Uncle Big Mac invoices and receipts before.”

“Perfect.” Twinkle quickly read through her letter before rolling it into a scroll and tying it with a red ribbon. She gave the scroll to Applespike. The dragon-pony balanced it on the end of his hoof and softly blew on it. A small green flame engulfed the letter, reducing it to ash and smoke. They all watched as the tendrils of magical smoke swirled upwards then disappeared.

“Well, that’s out of the way,” said Twinkle briskly. “Now, we just have to wait.” She looked at Jewel and noticed the weariness in the unicorn’s eyes. “Looks like Zany isn’t the only one who’s worn out. Why don’t you lay down and take a nap? You can use my bed.”

“Oh, I couldn’t impose,” Jewel protested.

“It’s okay,” Twinkle assured her. “I have a class in an hour so I need to be up anyway.”

“But we woke you up,” Jewel continued as the little alicorn lifted her in her magic and laid her in the bed. Twinkle plumped the pillow and gently tucked her in. “And you were up all night, guarding our dreams—”

“Shhh!” Twinkle shushed her, glancing over her shoulder at Zany’s hammock. Jewel put a hoof to her lips. Oops!

“What was that?” asked Zany, raising his body enough to look down at them. “What are you guarding?”

“Nothing! Nothing at all,” Twinkle assured him, grinning broadly. “Nothing for you to be worried about. Absolutely nothing. At all!”

Zany looked at her strangely. “Then why are you talking the way your mother does whenever she gets nervous? And why do you have that creepy grin?”

“Oh, uh, no reason. Come on, now. You really need your rest." She flew up and gently pushed him back down into the hammock. “Let me tuck you back in and make you all comfy.” She adjusted his pillow and tucked the blanket in securely around him. She then set the hammock to gently sway back and forth. “There, isn’t that better?”

“Uh, yeah,” said Zany, giving her a suspicious look. “Perfect.”

“Good! Now, I need to get a shower and get to class! Applespike, you can nap on the sofa if you like. I’ll just get you a blanket…”

“That’s okay.I’m not tired,” Applespike replied.“ Besides, somepony has to stay awake since you’re not going to be here.”

“Good point! Here, you can read this while I’m gone.” Twinkle removed a book from a nearby shelf and laid it on the table in front of him. “I think you’ll like this one.”

“Uh, thanks,” the dragon-pony smiled politely. “Farmer Colt by Laurel Ingot Wild. Sounds…great.”

“If you like it, I’ll lend you the other books in the series,” Twinkle smiled.

Applespike blanched.“S-series?”

“Nine books total. Just tell me what you think and I’ll hook you up! Now, I really need to get bathed. We’ll talk some more when I get out.” With that, Twinkle trotted to the bathroom and locked the door.

“Well, the apple sure didn’t fall far from the tree,” Applespike muttered, glancing at the book. “Hope she doesn’t want a book report.”

Jewel chuckled softly and nestled down into the bed. Mmmm…the pillow and sheets smelled pleasantly of lavender and vanilla. Such a calming, soothing smell. She closed her eyes and let all the fear and tension drain out of her. She was safe. She was among friends. Nothing could harm her.

“Humph,” Zany muttered as he closed his eyes, the hammock’s rocking lulling him to sleep. “I know what I heard. Guarding dreams. I…wonder…what…that…Mmmmm.”

Applespike looked at his friends dozing off in their respective beds and listened to the sizzling sound of water coming from the bathroom.

“Oh, well,” he shrugged, plopping down on the rug with his book. “Guess I ain’t got nothing better to do.”


“Big Bits Brony, come to the front of the class.”

Little Almond sat low in his desk. Big Bits and his gang of bullies had bragged that if the teacher ever tried to discipline them, they were going to thrash him! They were all big farm ponies and the teacher was so little. It just wasn’t fair!

Big Bits rushed up the aisle. "Come on, boys! Time for the fun!" The little Earth pony teacher calmly stepped from behind the desk. There was a hiss and a long black snake whip wrapped itself around the bully’s leg. The teacher jerked and the huge colt hit the floor with a thud that shook the schoolhouse. Big Bits’ gang of bullies trembled at the back of the room as the teacher thrashed and drove their leader from the schoolhouse.”

Applespike lay on a rug under one of the big windows reading the book Twinkle had given him. The dragon-pony wasn’t a big fan of reading, but he was enjoying the story. It was about a farm pony named Almond who lived back in the days before Granny Smith was born.

He grinned as he read how the teacher thrashed the big bullies. Served the varmints right! He turned the page and almost laughed at the illustration of the blubbering Big Bits getting whipped by the smaller stallion while Almond looked on in awe.

The bully in the picture resembled the big unicorn henchponies who worked for Picture Perfect. Wish I had a black snake whip, he thought. I’d show those varmints a thing or two!

A small yawn like the cooing of a dove, made him look up. Jewel raised her head and looked around blinking.

“Goodness, how long have I slept?” she asked.

“Little over two hours,” replied Applespike. “I’ve just been sitting here reading and listening to the two of you saw logs.”

“Did I snore?” Jewel asked, horrified.

“Like a hog in mud,” Applespike grinned. “Oh, come on, Jewel, I’m just teasing!” he added as the little unicorn buried her head under the pillow in embarrassment. “It was more like a cat purring.”

She poked her head out and looked at him. “How big a cat?” she asked.

“A kitten,” he assured her. “A teeny-tiny, itsy-bitsy, wee-little…manticore kitten.”

The dragon-pony ducked as the pillow came flying at him.

“Honestly, Applespike! You’re getting as bad as Zany.”

“Hey! No one is as bad as Zany!”

Jewel grinned then glanced around the room. “Is Twinkle still in class? I thought she might be back by now.”

“She told me she was going to the train station after class. The next train from Ponyville comes in at 4:00. Hopefully, your folks will be on it.”

“I’m sure they will be.” Jewel picked up the pillow and placed it back on the bed. “If not, I can expect them on the next train. What time is it?”

“A little after 3:00,” said Applespike, glancing up at the wall clock. “You can get a little snack if you’re hungry. Twinkle said we could help ourselves to anything in the pantry.”

“Water is fine with me.” Jewel levitated a cup to the faucet and filled it with cold water. She sighed as she sipped it down. “Goodness! Being away from Picture Perfect must have affected my taste buds. Even the water tastes good to me!”

“That’s ‘cause it’s fresh straight off the mountain,” Applespike explained. “It’s colder and a little sweeter than the well water back home, but not quite as good for waterin’ crops. I’ll bet it’s better than that water you been drinking on the train.”

“Definitely!” She filled her cup again and drank it down slowly, savoring every drop. “It’s even better than Manehattan, and they always claim to have the best.”

Applespike sniffed. “That’s ‘cause they gotta pipe water in from the in-land mountains. It’s not good and fresh like it is here.”

Jewel chuckled. “Since when did you become such an expert on water, Professor?”

“I had to do a report on water quality for my class project last Fall. I learned quite a bit about—BRAAAAAAAP!”

“Good heavens!” Jewel ducked as green flames erupted from her friend’s mouth. Zany sat up with a cry.

“What the hay—WHOA!” The hammock flipped over, dumping the chaotic colt onto the floor. “Ouch!”

“Are you all right?” asked Jewel, helping him up.

“Yeah, the floor broke my fall,” Zany muttered. He shook himself head to tail. “Tartarus! That was a loud one!” he said, looking reproachfully at the dragon-pony. “What did you do, eat a hydra?”

“I think I burped up a scroll,” replied Applespike, searching the floor. "Oh, here it is!" The dragon-pony picked the scroll up off the rug and quickly untied the ribbon. “It’s got to be from Twinkle. She’s turning me into a regular mailbox!

“Oh, I hope it’s about my parents!” said Jewel, clasping her hooves. “Perhaps they came early.”

She waited eagerly as he quickly read the letter. Suddenly, the grin melted from his face. His eyes widened and his face lost some of its color. Jewel and Zany exchanged an anxious look.

“What? What is it? What’s wrong?”

Applespike gulped. “Picture Perfect’s henchponies just arrived at the station.”

Jewel’s mouth dropped open in horror. “W-w-what?”

“Twinkle saw them get off the train. She recognized Goodnight and the others from the Gala.”

Zany caught Jewel as her trembling legs buckled under her. “No!” she groaned. “They can’t be here! They just can’t!”

“Well, if Twinkie says they’re here, then they’re here,” said Zany brusquely as he gently lowered her to the floor. She sat back on her haunches with her face buried in her hooves. “The question is: What are we gonna do about it?”

Applespike shook his head. “I don’t know. L-let me think…”

“Think!” cried Jewel, lowering her hooves to glare at him. “What is there to think about? I need to get away! I need to get far away!”

“Jewel, I don’t think—”

“Please, Zany,” she begged, literally throwing herself at his hooves.“Please, teleport me away! Anywhere! Just do it!”

The chaotic colt bit his lip, unsure of what he should do. Luckily, Applespike came to his rescue.

“Don’t you dare, Zany!” he commanded, jumping between them. “Her folks are probably on their way right now. If you send her away, it’ll mess up everything!”

He turned to Jewel who was sobbing on the floor. “You have got to calm down, Sugarcube,” he said gently but firmly. “Running away now ain’t gonna help you. We need to stay put as long as we can. Goodnight and his gang might guess you’re in Canterlot, but they don’t know you’re here in Twilight’s Tower.”

“And if they do, we’ll be ready for ‘em!” added Zany, flashing his wicked smile. He held up his front hooves and a brilliant flash of blue lightening arced over his head.“The Crowned Prince of Chaos is back in the house, baby!”

Jewel couldn’t help but give a little choking laugh at that. She sat up and wiped her eyes with the back of her hoof. “Thank you, both. I’m sorry for falling apart like that. You’re right. We need to stay if we can. Any suggestions?”

“Yeah,” growled Zany, suddenly sporting a green military helmet and clenching a blue bubblegum cigar in his teeth. “We prepare to fight! Applespike, you and Jewel secure the loft. I’ll guard the perimeter.”

“Wait!” cried Jewel. “Shouldn’t we have weapons? Just in case?”

Zany gasped in mock horror. “You doubt the awesome powers of the Crowned Prince of Chaos to protect you from harm? You wound me, girl.” There was a whizzing sound and the feathered shaft of an arrow appeared in his side. He plucked it out and tossed it away with a shrug. “Luckily, it’s just a flesh wound.”

“Zany.”

“Just kidding! Here you are!” A large cabinet appeared behind him, filled with a wide assortment of peculiar looking weapons. “So, what are you in the mood for? I got missile launchers, party cannons, cheese poppers, marshmallow bombs, singing swords, Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulators and, my ultimate secret weapon, THIS!”

Zany held up a black iron frying pan.

“Seriously,” muttered Applespike.

“Hey! Never underestimate the power of a frying pan!”

“Let me see it,” said Jewel, seizing the pan with her magic. She lifted it over her head and swung it down in a vicious arc. Both colts stared wide-eyed as the pan cleaved the air just inches from their muzzles. “I’ll take it,” she giggled sweetly.

“Well, I’ve already got fire,” said Applespike, thoughtfully. “But, maybe…the marshmallow bombs. I remember those from the Haunted Candy Factory you did last Nightmare Night.”

“Ah, yes! Kid tested, mother disapproved!” Zany gave him a small wooden box with a picture of a flaming marshmallow on it. “You remember how to use them?”

The dragon-pony nodded. “Just throw, then duck.”

“That’s my boy!” The chaotic colt thumped his friend on the back. “Okay, if everybody’s ready, let’s take up positions! Good luck, and Celestia bless!”

With a quick salute, he and his cabinet of weapons was gone.

Jewel gazed curiously at the box of Marshmallow Bombs. “Um…what exactly does a Marshmallow Bomb do?”

Applespike chuckled. “You’ll see soon enough. All I can tell you is that it’s pretty impressive.”

Jewel grinned. “I’m sure it is, if Zany designed it.”

She sighed and leaned into him, placing her head on his shoulder. The dragon-pony put his arm around her, pulling her closer. He could smell her sweet magnolia scent mixed with the smell of chocolate and sugar.

“I’m still scared,” she whispered into his fur.

Applespike hugged her tighter, brushing his lips against her mane.

“It’s okay,” he murmured. “You got Chaotic magic and dragon fire on your side, now. You’re gonna be all right.”

Jewel closed her eyes and tried not to think of her nightmare: her two best friends, gagged and bound, being dangled over a Tazlwurm’s maw. She did not realize she was trembling until Applespike cupped her chin and raised her head to face him.

“I promise,” he murmured, his green reptilian eyes gazing softly into hers. “Ain’t no pony gonna take you away from me.”

“Pinkie promise?” she asked.

“Cross my heart and hope to fly,” his lips brushed against hers as he whispered the words, sending a delightful tingle up Jewel’s spine “Stick a cupcake in my eye.”

His kiss was warm and Jewel melted into it. Both of them felt the spark, telling them that this was right, that this was good. Applespike’s arms encircled her waist, pulling her closer.

WAAAH! WAAH! WAAH!WAAH!

Jewel and Applespike jumped back in alarm as a siren sounded outside.

“What the hay?” shouted Applespike, looking around. Jewel ran to the window.

“It-it’s Zany!” she cried.“He’s casting a spell!”

Both of them watched as a pearly pink bubble surrounded the tower.

“It’s a shielding spell,” said Jewel. “It keeps anyone from teleporting in.” She clasped the dragon-pony’s hoof tightly. “D-do you know what this means?”

“Yeah,” said Applespike grimly.“They’re here!”

Author's Note:

Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulators: belongs to Warner Bros. Looney Toons.