• Published 13th Jun 2017
  • 3,077 Views, 114 Comments

The Chaotic Three: A Zany Story - LunaJack



Jewel is trapped in her job as a high society fashion model. Can her friends Zany, Twinkle, and Applespike help her escape so she can find happiness with her one true love?

  • ...
3
 114
 3,077

Revelation on a Train

Author's Note:

This is not very long. The next one will have more action in it.

Attention all passengers, all trains will be begin boarding in five minutes. Please, make your way to the appropriate platform at this time. If you don't know which platform you should be at, I suggest you check your ticket stub because it's written on there in black and white! I mean, honestly, do we have to do everything for you?

Please, secure all baggage and children at this time. Any foals left unattended will be given away free to loving homes. Keep all heads and hooves inside the cars at all times--

“Discord?”

“Yes, dear?”

“I know you're bored, but could you please come with me and let the station ponies do their job.”

“Fine,” Discord huffed, tossing the microphone to a nearby ticket seller.

“And give the nice conductor pony his hat back.”

“No problem,” chuckled the conductor as Discord reluctantly relinquished the cap. “This sort of thing happens to me all the time. Of course, it's usually foals.”

Discord huffed again, then shrugged. “Just as well.” He snapped his talon and a blue striped engineer's cap appeared on his head. “The engineer's job is always more exciting.”

“Oh, dear,” sighed Fluttershy. It was going to be an interesting ride back to Ponyville.

She guided her husband to the platform where the train to Whinnyapolis was waiting. Rarity, Applejack and Spike with their families surrounded Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie as they prepared to board.

“You let us know what's goin' on right away!” said Applejack, hugging Twilight's neck.

“Remember, you can always send a message through me or Applespike,” Spike reminded her.

“I will,” Twilight promised.

“Give Rainbow-Dash our love!” cried Rarity. “And we hope she's all right!”

“Tell her to let us know if she needs us,” added Fluttershy.

“If you see Prism, tell her I'm thinking of her!” said Gemstone.

“Us too!” cried the Tri-Pies, hugging their mother from three sides. Their father, Red Shoes, stood on stilts to reach Pinkie for a kiss.

“Have a safe trip my Precious, Perfectly Pink Party Pony,” he murmured.

“You, too! My Super, Stupendous, Sweet, Silly Stallion!” Pinkie cooed back.

Discord grimaced. “That is so syrupy it should be served on pancakes,” he muttered.

Twinkle nuzzled her mother. “Bye, Mom. I love you.”

“I love you, too, Sweetie.”

“Here's a bag of food for your trip!” said Cinnamon Roll, hoofing over a medium sized burlap bag and a small black iron pot with an iron cover. “This is some Vegetable Gumbo Gulliand made. It's really good. I hope you like it.”

“Are you kidding?” asked Pinkie, lifting the lid to take a sniff. “Mmmmmm! How can I not like something that rhymes with two of my favorite words?

“Which words are those, Pinkie?”

“MUMBO-JUMBO!”

“Why--” Cinnamon Roll started to ask, but Applejack stopped her.

“Don't ask.”

“All aboard! Train leaving for Whinnyapolis!” one of the conductors called out.

With one last wave, Twilight and Pinkie hurried aboard. The others waited until they were inside, then quickly made their way to the Ponyville platform.

Twinkle Sparkle followed the group at a distance. She watched Zany, who was walking next to Applespike. With him occupied, she was free to study some of his finer qualities. He was a handsome colt. His gray fur was rough and uncombed, but it made him look dashingly rugged. He did not have the muscle tone that Applespike had, but his slender shape was pleasing.

Twinkle grinned. She felt the urge to pop up next to him and ask if he would like to go to Doughnut Joe's for a hot chocolate. Next time he was in Canterlot, that is. And if his Dad didn't mind. And her mother never found out.

“Are you all right, Twinkle?”

“Huh?” Twinkle blinked and turned to Gemstone. The unicorn was looking at her strangely.

“I'm sorry. You just looked a little lost.”

“Oh, I'm fine, Gem,” answered Twinkle quickly. “I'm just thinking about how much I will miss all of you.”

Gemstone glanced at her slyly. “All of us? Or mainly a certain pink-haired colt who enjoys practical jokes?”

Twinkle blushed fiercely. Gem giggled.

“It's all right. I promise I won't tell anyone.” She leaned in and added. “Just between you and me, I think you two would make a nice couple.”

Twinkle blushed so hard, she could hear her heart thumping in her ears.

“I didn't see Jewel at breakfast this morning,” she said, desperate to change the subject. “Has she already left for Manehattan?”

“I'm afraid so,” sighed Gem, shaking her head sadly. “They came and took her away before the sun came up. We had thought they'd let her stay a while so they could get some pictures of her eating breakfast with the Princess. Instead, they woke us all up at 4:00 this morning to get her dressed and on the first train out! Daddy was none too happy about that.”

“I'll bet,” said Twinkle, putting an arm around the older unicorn's shoulder.

“I think they did it to hide Stud Muffin's illness,” Gemstone whispered. “I caught a glimpse of him when they came for Jewel. He was wearing a cloak and dark glasses, like he didn't want anyone to recognize him. He was still a little blue.”

“Really?” Twinkle could hardly keep from grinning. “That's too bad.”

“Come along, Gemstone!” the fillies heard Fancy Pants call. “The train is boarding, sweetheart!”

“Coming, Daddy! Bye, Twinkle!”

“Bye!” Twinkle watched as the little unicorn rejoined her family. Rarity and Fancy Pants carried themselves with their usual regal bearing, but she could see the sadness in their eyes. The little alicorn gritted her teeth. There was something wrong with Jewel's contract, she just knew it! Her search through the law books, so far, had turned up nothing but she wasn't about to give up. She still had one resource left that she had not tapped into yet...


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Applejack sat beside Spike, feeling the steady rocking motion as the train chugged towards Ponyville. The beautiful countryside flashed by the window, but her eyes were riveted on her son, Applespike. He was sitting with Zany about four seats down from them, staring out the window. Applejack bit her lip as the chaotic colt placed a comforting hoof on her son's shoulder.

“Oh, Spike!” she murmured to her husband. “I'm so worried about our baby! He ain't done nothing but stare out that window since we left the station. Do you think it broke his heart, not being able to dance with Jewel?”

Spike glanced at his son. “Don't worry, AJ. Applespike's fine. He's probably just a little tired from last night.”

“Yeah, we all were a little tired,” Applejack conceded. “Letting Zany spend the night with us last night probably wasn't the best thing either. Still...” she sighed. “I wish he and Jewel could have shared just one little dance.”

Spike laid a soft kiss on his wife's forehead. It might be best, he thought, if she didn't know about the little blast of magic that had come from the boys' room in the middle of the night. Or that their snack bag had mysteriously vanished and returned a lot lighter. Or that their son and wakened that morning smelling of biscuits, brown betty, apple blossoms – and magnolias.

There were just some things only a father could understand.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


Applespike sat quietly in his seat, his head propped on his hoof, staring out the train car window. Despite the pretty view, his mind was far away. Last night was by far the most wonderful night of his life and he wanted to relive every moment of it! The easy meal, with no adults to eavesdrop on the conversation or give them unwanted advice. The slow dance, holding Jewel in his arms as they swayed together in harmony. And the kiss, soft and sweet, her lips tasting like apple brown betty. Then the next kiss. And the next kiss. And the next...

Zany watched in amusement as a dopey grin slowly spread across his friend's face.

“Twitterpated,” he muttered. “Completely and utterly twitterpated. Hey, Equestria to Applespike!” he added out loud. “Come in, Applespike!”

“Huh?” the dragon-pony startled. “What? What is it?”

“Nothing, I'm just bored. It's a long ride back to Ponyville and I was hoping you could keep me entertained.”

Applespike sighed irritably. “By doing what? Juggling apples while riding a unicycle upside down over a pool full of hungry hydra?”

“If you're volunteering...” Zany grinned, showing his fang. Applespike, for once, did not protest or look worried. If anything, he looked annoyed. The chaotic colt frowned.

“Okay, I want you to quit ignoring me. You know I can't stand that!”

“Sorry,” Applespike apologized. “I just can't stop thinking about last night.” His head strayed back to the window and the dreamy look returned to his eyes.

“Ahem!”

“Oops! Sorry. It was one of the best nights of my life! I can't believe I finally got to hold Jewel the way I've been wanting to all these years.”

“You're welcome,” said Zany with a smirk.

“It just felt so good and so right,” Applespike continued. “And when she kissed me... it was like the most amazing feeling in the world! Like our lips were meant to touch. Like--”

He suddenly stopped.

“Like what?” asked Zany.

“Great Celestia on her throne!” Applespike whispered. His mouth hung open and his green eyes were round as soup bowls. Zany became alarmed.

“What is it?” he demanded. “Tell me!”

“Zany!” the dragon-pony managed to croak. “I'm...I'm...I'm in love with Jewel!”

The chaotic colt rolled his eyes...then put them back in his head. “Tell me something I don't know next time,” he grunted.

“No, shut up and listen to me! When I turned thirteen, my Pa and I had...The Talk.”

“Birds and Bees thing?” guessed Zany.

“Sort of. He told me about...well...that. But he also told me about how it feels to be in love. He said the first time he and Ma kissed, it was pure magic. His heart was racing but kissing her felt so good and comfortable. He said it was like their lips were meant to touch.”

“Yeah, so?”

“So?” Applespike clopped him on the noggin. “Don't you see, Zany? That's how it felt with Jewel! I mean, I've always had a thing for her but it was more like a really big crush. But this! This is the real thing! I'm in love!”

“Are you sure?” Zany asked sourly, rubbing his forehead. “It's not like you've got much experience kissing fillies.”

“Yes, I have!”

Zany smirked. “Third cousins don't count. OUCH!” He cried out as another clop struck him between the ears. “Will you cut that out!”

“Well, quit goofing around. I'm serious.”

“So am I! Before last night, when was the last time you kissed a filly?”

Applespike blushed. “This past Summer Sun Celebration. I was slow dancing with Nutmeg Sprinkles.”

“Nutmeg? The Earth pony filly with the light-brown fur and lavender mane?”

“Yeah. Well, we danced together most of the night. Then, well, we sorta ended up kissing under the oak trees in the park.”

“How was it?” asked Zany, leaning in close.

Applespike rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment. “It was – nice. I liked it. Her lips tasted kinda like pumpkin pie. And they were soft. It felt like I was rubbing my lips against velvet.”

“And?”

“Well, that was it. I mean Nutmeg is a sweet filly and I enjoyed kissing her, but that was all. There was no spark like there was with Jewel. No...thrill.”

“Humph!” Zany grunted. “I think I'd be thrilled if I got a kiss from Nutmeg Sprinkles. She's quite the cutie.”

“Why don't you ask her out? She isn't dating anyone right now.”

Zany looked uncomfortable. “Yeah...um. The thing is...I...kinda...did.”

“And?”

He blushed. “She turned me down.”

“Oh, sorry.”

Zany shrugged. “Happens to me all the time. The fillies seem to like me, they just don't want to get too close for some reason.”

“Well,” said Applespike choosing his words carefully. “You have pulled some interesting pranks on them in the past.”

“Like on class picture day when I turned everyone's faces pea-soup green right before the photographer took the photo?” Zany chortled.

“Well, I was thinking about the time you turned that snobby filly's mane and tail into live snakes,” Applespike shuddered. “That really freaked everyone out.”

“It's not like they were poisonous or anything,” said Zany defensively. “Besides, she deserved it. She was trash talking Aunt Rarity in front of Jewel and Gemstone. I couldn't let that stand.”

“Maybe, but it was really scary, Zany. You have to admit, you do some crazy stuff when you're ticked off. And the fillies...well...Jewel told me that most of them think you're good looking and kinda charming when you want to be...”

“But...” Zany prompted.

Applespike sighed. “They're scared of what you might do if you ever got mad at them.”

“Oh.” The chaotic colt deflated visibly. “Yeah. I guess they would be worried about that,” he muttered.

“I'm sorry.”

“Hey, that's their problem,” said Zany, perking back up. “Now, getting back to you and Jewel. If you say you love her, I believe you. The question is what are you going to do about it?”

“D-- do?” The dragon-pony was taken aback by the question. What was he going to do? Ask Jewel to marry him?Build her a little farm house like Uncle Big Mac had for Cheerilee? Carry on with his job at the farm? Save some money? Have foals... WHOA! Applespike shook his head. What was he thinking? They were only fifteen years old! They couldn't marry for at least another three years. Besides, Jewel might not want a farm house or foals. What if--

“I think you're overthinking the question,” said Zany, cutting into his thoughts. “What I meant was: what are you going to do about it NOW?”

“Oh.” Applespike's jumbled brain quickly re-sorted itself. “I need to tell her! She needs to know how I really feel!”

“Exactly!”

POOF! Paper and quills appeared in front of Applespike. He quickly laid the paper across the seat, took the quill in his mouth and immediately set to work.

“You're welcome,” said Zany with an elaborate salaam. He made himself a little hammock in the air above where his friend was busily writing and flopped down in it. Only when he was sure no one could see him did he let the cocky grin slide from his face. He didn't want Applespike to know much he envied him.