• Published 13th Jun 2017
  • 3,082 Views, 114 Comments

The Chaotic Three: A Zany Story - LunaJack



Jewel is trapped in her job as a high society fashion model. Can her friends Zany, Twinkle, and Applespike help her escape so she can find happiness with her one true love?

  • ...
3
 114
 3,082

Truth and Consequences

Author's Note:

Sorry this took so long. I had some computer trouble then I had writer's block for a while. But here it is, the next chapter. Happy thanksgiving.

The brakes squealed as the train approached the little country station. The steady click-clack of the wheels slowed to a crawl, then stopped with a bump and a hiss of steam.

Jewel peeked out the window of her private car, admiring the pretty little Earth pony town with its thatched roofs, dirt streets, and massive green cornfields that stretched as far as the eye could see. Nearby, a large, emerald green Earth pony with a golden mane was hauling a wagon full of cornmeal. She was not surprised to see his cutie mark was a slice of cornbread.

Jewel plopped down at her little table and slowly read over the letter she had addressed to Applespike.

Dearest Applespike,

You don’t know how much joy your last letter has given me. I, too, treasure our beautiful evening together. I spent most of the train ride yesterday, reliving it. Feeling your strong arms around me, breathing your warm apple pie scent: I felt so happy and safe. When you dipped me back, I could see the love and the warmth shining in your eyes. I’ve been told many times over the years that I was beautiful, but seeing it in your face made it real.

And how can I describe your kiss? It was warm and delectable, like sweet, rich cocoa on Hearth’s Warming Eve. Like liquid love, flowing into me, filling my heart till I thought it would burst. It felt so amazing, I didn’t want it to end. I’m on the verge of tears just trying to write this.

I love you, Applespike. I truly, madly, deeply love you with all my heart.

I am going to write my parents soon and ask them to meet us in Manehattan so we can discuss my contract with Picture Perfect. We may be able to work something out so I can come home to stay. You were right. I do belong in Ponyville with my family and the dragon-pony I love. Hopefully, I will be with you soon.

Love you forever more,

Jewel.

The unicorn filly laid a little kiss at the top of the page before quickly slipping it into an envelope. She hesitated a moment as she considered adding a warning about Goodnight’s vendetta. No, she decided, sealing the envelope. Applespike and Zany were safe in Ponyville. There was no need to worry them unnecessarily.

The corridor was mostly empty when she stepped out of her room. The black unicorn bodyguard with the green mane was guarding the exit to the platform. Fair Weather, carrying a towel and washcloth, was slipping into the shower room. Buff and the wardrobe pony stood in the corridor, talking excitedly about the up-coming photo shoot. Jewel grinned. They weren’t the only ones who were excited.

Applejack’s cousin, Braeburn, had told everyone in Ponyville about the monument the Buffalo nation had built to honor the great Chief Crazy Pony. His likeness had been carved into the side of a mountain, one enormous hoof pointing over the Buffalo land. It was the biggest such monument in all Equestria. Jewel couldn’t wait to see it, so she could tell Applespike all about it.

“Good morning, Mountain Mist,” she greeted the green-maned pony cheerfully. The big unicorn did not return her greeting, but stared at her expressionlessly. Jewel managed to keep a smile on her face.

“I’m just going over to the post office to mail a letter,” she said, opening the door with her magic. “I’ll be right back.”

SLAM! Jewel jumped back with a cry as the heavy door slammed shut in her face.

“Sorry,” Mountain Mist rumbled. “But I cannot allow you to leave the train.”

Jewel’s mouth fell open in shock. “W-w-what?”

“Picture Perfect’s orders.”

“Really!” she huffed, glaring up at the stone-faced pony. “And may I ask why?”

Mountain Mist shrugged “He didn’t give a reason. He just said you were not allowed to leave the train.”

The little filly stomped her hoof. “This is silly!” she cried, haughtily brushing past Mountain Mist. “The post office is right over there! Now, please move aside while I--”

Jewel let out a frightened squeak as the huge stallion reared and brought his hooves crashing down just inches from hers. Slowly, he lowered his head so his cold, hard eyes glared disdainfully into hers.

“I take my orders from Picture Perfect, not you,” he growled. “And my orders are that you stay on the train. If you don’t like it, you can walk your hoity-toity tail back to your room and stay there!”

Jewel gasped at the bodyguard’s rudeness.

“How dare you! You do not talk like that to a lady! Now—"

“Is there a problem here?”

They both turned to see Fair Weather looking at them quizzically. His fur stood on end where he had hastily dried himself. His wet mane was wrapped in a turban.

“I could hear you in the shower! You’re lucky Goodnight is with Picture Perfect, or he’d have—”

“Fair Weather,” Jewel cried. “Mountain Mist says Picture Perfect has forbidden me to leave the train, but I have a letter that needs to be mailed! Surely, there’s no harm in me going to the post office. It’s right over there, just beyond the station. I’ll just mail the letter and come straight back.”

Fair Weather shook his head. “Sorry, Miss Jewel, but Mountain Mist is correct. We were ordered not to let you off the train today.”

“Oh, this is nonsense!” fumed Jewel. “What possible reason could he have to keep me here? I really need to mail this letter!”

“If the letter is that important, I can mail it for you,” Fair Weather offered, his magic reaching out to take the envelope.

“Uh…” Jewel pulled it back, regarding the yellow unicorn suspiciously. Fair Weather was Picture Perfect’s number two pony. Since when did he run errands for her? “I don’t think so.”

“Oh?” the yellow unicorn looked insulted. “Is that a problem, Miss Jewel?”

“Well,” Jewel thought fast. “You’re still wet from your shower and these streets are made of dirt. I would hate for you get all muddy. But perhaps Buff could take it?” She glanced back at the mares and gave the buff-colored pony a pleading look.

“That will work,” Fair Weather nodded. “And while she mails your letter, you and your dresser can look through your wardrobe and find that cowpony costume. You haven’t worn it in a while, so it may need altering.”

“That’s fine,” Jewel readily agreed. “Thank you, Buff,” she added as she passed the letter to her friend.

“No problem,” the mare assured her, taking the letter in her teeth.

“Come along, Miss Jewel,” said the wardrobe pony with a sigh. “The sooner we get this over with, the better.”

“Right.” Jewel fell in step behind the cream-colored unicorn, but she couldn’t help glancing anxiously back at Buff.

“Are you okay?” the wardrobe mare asked. “You look worried.”

“I…I’m fine,” Jewel assured her. She looked back once more and, to her relief, saw Buff exiting the train. “Everything is fine,” she added with a smile. “Now, let’s get to work, shall we?”


“Finally! Here it is!”

The cream-colored unicorn held up a brown garment bag with the word “Rodeo” written on it.

“Oh, thank goodness,” sighed Jewel, as she picked her way over mounds of discarded costumes and props. They had been searching for almost two hours through nine clothes racks and two chests. “I never realized I had so many outfits! Let’s take a look at it and see if it needs any work done.”

The wardrobe pony removed the bag and levitated the costume for their perusal. The top consisted of a cream-colored blouse with a red vest trimmed in black. The skirt was white with black spots, like those on a milk cow. A cherry-red cowpony hat finished the ensemble.

Jewel wrinkled her muzzle. “Really? Picture Perfect wants me to wear that?”

The wardrobe pony looked doubtful. “Well, it looked nice on you at the rodeo last year,” she said.

“Yes, but that was the rodeo. All the performers were dressed like that. It would look fake and foalish if I wore that to the Crazy Pony Monument!”

“Like a foal dressed for Nightmare Night,” the older mare smirked.

“Yes! That’s exactly what it would look like!” Jewel giggled. “Oh goodness, that reminds me of the night my sister and I went as cowpony fillies. Our outfits were pink with white hearts. We even had some pistols that shot confetti. Applespike went with us dressed like a cow. You should have seen it!" She burst out laughing. "We were herding him all over Ponyville, yelling ‘Get along little doagie!’ I thought Mummy and Aunt Applejack were going hurt themselves laughing at us!”

“How cute! Where was your other friend? The dracon—uh—the magic one.”

“Oh, he was running around, playing tricks on ponies. He played a good one on Aunt Rainbow Dash that year. He turned her thundercloud into—”

“Aren’t you supposed to be working?” a cold voice interrupted.

Jewel and the wardrobe pony turned to see Goodnight standing in the doorway.

“You were supposed to find a simple cowpony costume,” he snarled, looking around at the piles of clothes littering the floor. “Can’t you do anything without turning it into a blasted party?”

“We did find it,” said Jewel defensively, levitating the costume for him to see. “We were just going to start cleaning up when you came in.”

“It sounded more like a pair of fillies at a blasted slumber party to me,” Goodnight replied derisively. He kicked the nearest pile of clothes. “Get these up!” he snapped at the wardrobe mare. “They cost too much to be left lying on the floor. When you get through with that, check the costume and see if it needs to be altered. Honestly, do I have to tell you fools how to do your job?”

“Yes, sir. No, sir,” the wardrobe mare murmured meekly as she started rehanging the clothes. Jewel, burning with anger, managed to hold her tongue and help sort the piles.

“That costume needs to be ready by tomorrow,” the unicorn bodyguard continued. “We’ll be arriving at the Crazy Pony Memorial Monument around ten, so it better be ready.”

“It will.”

“Um, about the costume,” Jewel managed to say. “I really don’t think it will work for this photo shoot. You see it—”

“That is for Picture Perfect to decide, not you,” Goodnight interrupted coldly. “You will wear what you are told and look happy about it. Now, clean up this mess and come to dinner. Stud Muffin will be waiting.”

“Don’t argue,” the wardrobe mare whispered desperately as Goodnight took his leave. “It’s no good talking to him. He’s still raging about that hot hoof incident at the Gala.”

“I still say he deserved it!” Jewel hissed back furiously. She snatched up the pile of costumes Goodnight had kicked and hung them neatly in the closet. “The pig!”

“Well, you just watch yourself around him,” said the mare, giving her a meaningful look. “I don’t think your friends are the only ones he wants revenge on.”

Jewel snorted. “He wouldn’t dare hurt me. Not while I’m a top model and making Picture Perfect rich. The most he can do is make my life miserable, which he does anyway.”

“Yes,” the wardrobe pony agreed darkly. “He does excel at that.”


Jewel was still angry when she showed up for dinner in the dining car. Stud Muffin was seated at a corner table, his back to the other patrons. Goodnight stood nearby, making sure they would not be disturbed. Jewel took the seat opposite the colt model, facing the car full of curious ponies.

“About time you showed up,” Stud Muffin hissed. “The food should be here any minute.”

“Good,” Jewel replied, smiling as if he had just paid her compliment. The sooner we get this over with, the better.

"Bon Appetite!" A unicorn waiter suddenly appeared, placing their dinners on the table.

Jewel's dinner was a plain, no-frills salad with a tiny cup of red vinegar. Stud Muffin’s was a savory fettuccini alfredo.

Unlike her, the colt model was not on a diet and was allowed to eat whatever he wanted. It was pure torture, watching him eat all that delicious food and knowing she could not have so much as a forkful! Stud Muffin knew this, and mercilessly taunted her.

“Mmmm!” he sighed dreamily as he took a bite of his pasta. “So nice and creamy. And the garlic seasoning is perfect. My compliments to the chef.”

“Be sure to tell the waiter,” Jewel chirped cheerfully as she primly took a bite of salad. It was very good: the lettuce was crisp, the carrots were sweet, and the tomatoes were juicy. But it was hard to enjoy it when her mouth was watering for creamy, garlicky pasta!

“Mmmmm! And garlic bread,” Stud Muffin continued, levitating a delicious buttery slice for her to see. He bit into it with relish. “Wonderful!”

“I’m glad you like it, darling,” Jewel replied sweetly, trying not to notice the rich, savory smell wafting her way. “This salad is very good, too. Such crisp greens! I wonder how they keep them so fresh.”

Stud Muffin smirked. “Too bad you’re on a diet,” he murmured. “I might let you have a bite.”

“How generous,” Jewel smiled, showing every tooth in her head. “I would absolutely love to bite you…as hard as I can.”

“That is enough,” Goodnight hissed from the corner of his mouth. “Need I remind you that you are in public? Now, shut up and eat your food, both of you. Picture Perfect wants to meet with you regarding tomorrow’s photo shoot. And wipe that wolfish grin off your face, Jewel!” he added low. “Every pony in here can see you!”

The two finished their meal in silence. When they rose to leave, a few ponies came forward to ask for their autographs, which Jewel and Stud Muffin were more than happy to provide.

“Come along,” Goodnight grunted as the last autograph seeker happily skipped away. Jewel and Stud Muffin obediently followed the unicorn bodyguard down the corridor to Picture Perfect’s room. Mountain Mist and Fair Weather, who were guarding the door, moved aside to let them in. The photographer pony, himself, lay sprawled out in his recliner, as Buff administered a relaxing scalp massage. An ice-cold glass of hard cider levitated nearby.

“Ah, good. You’re here,” he said, lazily opening one eye. “I understand you have both found your costumes for the photo shoot tomorrow. Did they need any altering?”

“Mine didn’t,” said Stud Muffin proudly. His costume was identical to Jewel’s, only it had chaps instead of a skirt. “It fit perfectly.”

“Mine didn’t need altering either,” said Jewel. “But, I don’t—”

“Splendid!” said Picture Perfect, taking a sip of his drink. “Now, here is what I envision for tomorrow’s shoot…”

Jewel sighed in exasperation. There was no sense trying to talk until they had listened to the photographer’s grand idea.

“Just picture it,” he said, gazing dreamily at the ceiling. “A rocky ridge, overlooking a valley covered in brown grass and evergreens. On this ridge stands a lone tree, gnarled and bent by the wind and weather. In the distance, the orange sun is rising…”

Jewel’s eyes widened. Wait a minute! A ridge? With a tree? And an orange sun? The pig! That was my idea!

“And under this tree, with the orange light filtering through the branches, will be the two of you…gazing deeply into each other’s eyes as you share your first kiss!”

Jewel gave a small gasp. Great Celestia on her throne! How could she have forgotten that was what the photo shoot was all about? She glanced at Stud Muffin, who waggled his eyebrows at her suggestively. She quickly looked away, blushing ferociously.

“It will be perfect,” said Picture Perfect, grinning dreamily. “Utterly perfect.”

“If they let us climb up there,” said Jewel quietly.

The pony photographer, cut his eye at her. “They who?”

“The Park Rangers. I read there is a trail you can take that lets you see the face close up, but they don’t allow anyone on the ridge above it.”

Picture Perfect stared at her quizzically. “What in Tartarus are you going on about?” he demanded.

“The—the monument,” Jewel stammered. “You said we were doing a photo shoot at the Crazy Pony Memorial Monument.”

“Oh, for crying out loud!” moaned Picture Perfect, shaking his head. “I’m not taking pictures of the monument, you silly girl!”

“Wha-what?” Jewel’s mouth fell open in confusion.

“A colleague told me about a ridge across the valley from the monument that offers the perfect light for a romantic shot. Honestly,” he added with a derisive chuckle. “You thought I was going to take pictures at the monument? Oh, please! You ought to know by now that I don’t do monuments.”

Stud Muffin snickered behind his hoof. Jewel blushed then quickly drew herself upright in a perfect imitation of her father.

“I’m sorry,” she answered coolly. “I forgot that.”

“Anyway,” continued Picture Perfect after a moment. “That is what we will be doing tomorrow. Make sure you get plenty of rest. You will have to get up early in the morning and I do not want red eyes with dark circles under them. I expect you to have your make-up on, your manes coiffed, and your costumes ready to go when we arrive. We will have only a small window of opportunity to get the right shot, so be on time. I believe that’s all, isn’t it?” he asked, looking at Goodnight. The bodyguard nodded gravely. “Very good. You may go now,” he murmured, waving them away with his hoof.

“See you later,” Stud Muffin murmured as he exited the room. Goodnight held the door, waiting for Jewel.

“Just a moment, please,” she told him, then turned back to Picture Perfect. “There is something I need to speak to you about regarding tomorrow’s shoot.”

“Really?” The photographer turned his head indolently so he could look at her. “And what could that be, my dear?”

“I believe there is a problem…”

“Really?” he repeated, his eyes narrowing dangerously. “What sort of… problem?”

“Well,” Jewel scraped her hoof nervously on the carpet. “It’s the costumes.”

“The costumes?” Picture Perfect snorted in surprise. “That was unexpected! Now, what is this supposed problem with the…ahem…costumes?”

“I…I don’t think they’re quite right for this shoot,” said Jewel. “I mean, those costumes were meant for the rodeo, which is like theater…with cows. They just wouldn’t look right in a real-world setting.”

“Interesting,” the photographer murmured. “Very interesting.”

“Yes, but perhaps we could—”

“Interesting that you would use that excuse.”

Jewel stared in confusion. “I’m sorry?”

“Oh, come dear,” Picture Perfect chuckled darkly. “I’m not stupid. I know you would rather be set on fire than kiss Stud Muffin on the lips.”

“I-I don’t know if I would rather be set on fire,” answered Jewel, with a weak laugh. “But, I must admit, I am not very enamored with him.”

“Yes, such a strange predicament,” the sky-blue stallion drawled. “A young handsome colt any filly would swoon over. But, of course, you prefer your boys furry, scaly, and able to breathe fire.”

Jewel blushed. “Well, I must admit, I am rather partial to a certain dragon-pony. He is a very dear friend.”

“A very dear friend, indeed,” Picture Perfect grinned. He looked like a cat who had cornered a mouse and was about to pounce on it. “I dare say, there aren’t very many ponies whose kisses are like hot cocoa on Hearth’s Warming Eve.”

Jewel felt the blood drain from her face. “Wh-what?”

“Like liquid love flowing into you. Such an interesting line. Reminds me of Changelings, sucking the love out of their victims.”

Jewel stared at the photographer in growing horror. “I-I-I have no idea what…”

“Oh, please,” Picture Perfect rolled his eyes. “It’s all in that letter you tried to sneak by us today. Luckily, Mountain Mist and Fair Weather were on the ball and able to intercept it before it reached the post office.”

Jewel glanced at Buff. The hairdresser pony dropped her eyes and blushed a deep crimson.

“Scandalous,” he continued. “I take it you snuck out of your parent’s room the night before we left. That was the only chance you would have had to be alone. Such a pity. And I thought I could trust two such upright aristocrats to guard their daughter. Now, I know better.”

“It wasn’t their fault,” said Jewel, finding her voice. “A friend of mine transported me from the room while they were sleeping.”

“Which wouldn’t have happened if they had put up that protective force field, like I told them.”

“My parents trusted me!” Jewel retorted, stomping her hoof.

“Funny thing to say after you’ve been caught red-hoofed betraying that trust,” snapped Picture Perfect. “Sneaking out with colts in the middle of the night and getting up to Luna knows what.”

The little filly tossed her head haughtily. “It wasn’t like that! I met Applespike along with some friends. We danced together and we kissed. That was all. I did nothing that my parents would be ashamed of. However,” she added, a devious grin on her lips. “I must confess to one little dalliance.”

Picture Perfect craned his neck towards her eagerly. “Yes?”

She glanced away shyly then dropped her voice to a whisper. “I ate an éclair.”

“WHAT!”

“Oh, and some Apple Brown Betty. And a muffin. And biscuits slathered in apple butter.”

“STOP!” bellowed Picture Perfect, looking truly scandalized. “Good heavens, girl! Have you no shame? Have I taught you nothing about the importance of maintaining your figure? Bright Celestia at noon!” he groaned. “Your clothes will be bursting at the seams! We’ll need to have them all let out. Oh! How could you do this?”

“There, there,” said Goodnight soothingly as he refilled Picture Perfect’s glass with hard cider. Jewel wrinkled her nose at the sick-sweet apple smell. “Everything will be all right." He gave Jewel a scathing glare. "I’m sure one little dalliance won’t make much of a difference.”

“Yes, you’re right.” Picture Perfect panted, taking a few sips then laying back in his chair. “How silly of me. What, oh, what are we going to do with her, Goodnight?”

“Well, she has certainly gotten out of line lately,” said the unicorn bodyguard, smirking. “I think a penalty is called for.”

“Yes,” said Picture Perfect, a cruel smile spreading across his face. “A penalty! Please, do the honors, my friend.”

“What…what penalty?” Jewel asked nervously as the giant unicorn advanced towards her. “What are you talking about? Don’t you dare lay a hoof on me!”

“Relax, Jewel," said Goodnight smoothly. "You know I would never strike a filly. But, there are other more effective ways to punish an errant little pony. For instance, do you recognize this gown?”

Jewel stared as a life-sized, full-color photograph of Fluttershy floated in front her.

“Well, yes. That’s the gown my mother designed for Aunt Fluttershy to wear to the Gala.”

“Oh, so you readily admit that this…travesty of fashion was the work of your mother? Good heavens! Is this really burlap?”

“Yes! Aunt Fluttershy asked her to make it. It was meant as a joke on Uncle Discord.”

“Well, I’m afraid the joke is on your mother. You see, Picture Perfect knows a fashion critic at Rouge magazine and she agreed that your mother showed very poor judgement in agreeing to create this monstrosity and allowing it to be worn at such a prestigious event as the Gala." Goodnight chuckled darkly. "I must say, this critic is no friend of your mother and was quite ready to rip into her. The review will be out next week. You can read it then.”

Jewel bit her lip in anger. She wasn’t really worried about her mother; Rarity had endured the slings and arrows of critics before. But poor Fluttershy! She would be mortified when she found out her gown had caused her friend to become a laughingstock. Still, the little unicorn stood defiant.

“That’s not much of a threat,” she said tossing her mane. “You’d have to do better than that to hurt my mother’s business.”

“Yes. But what about your father?”

“What about him?” asked Jewel sharply.

“Why, look at this photograph of him, the poor stallion.”

Another huge photograph hovered in front of Jewel. This one was a picture of her and Fancy Pants dancing at the Gala. Her father’s face was glowing with fatherly affection. Her face, however, was turned to the side, her eyes narrowed, her lips pulled down in a frown.

“Tsk, tsk, tsk,” Goodnight tutted. “The poor fellow. He doesn’t realize how embarrassed his daughter is at having to be seen with him after the disgraceful way he behaved at the Gala.”

“How dare you!” Jewel cried. “There isn’t a disgraceful bone in my father’s body!”

“There are some elite in Canterlot who would disagree," Goodnight shot back. "After all, he chose to leave Canterlot to live in Ponyville with your mother. Some think he’s become too much of a rustic. He certainly proved it at the Gala. I noticed he knew all the steps to the ‘Cowpony Stomp’.”

Jewel ground her teeth. “I was not embarrassed in the least! I’m glad my father has learned how to line dance and have fun. And he wasn’t the one I was annoyed with. I was glaring at you for threatening Applespike!”

“Well, my dear, you have been warned to guard your emotions in public,” said Picture Perfect, grinning cruelly. “Too bad you let your guard down this once.”

“Yes," continued Goodnight. "Imagine how heartbroken and humiliated your father will be when this story hits the gossip magazines.”

Jewel glared up at Goodnight, tears streaming down her face. “You monster! You wouldn't dare!”

Goodnight shrugged off the insult. “I do what I have to do, my dear. You know how it is. Oh, don’t worry,” he added comfortingly. “I haven’t sent the story... yet. I won’t have to. As long as you do what we tell you.”

"And what is that?" she asked, drying her eyes.

“First of all,” said Picture Perfect, sitting up in his recliner like a king passing judgement. “You will remember who is charge here. You will do as I say. You will wear what I tell you to wear. You will eat what I tell you to eat. And you will kiss whomever I tell you to kiss and look happy with it!

Secondly, there will be no more letters sent to your friends or family without my reviewing them first. And absolutely no more sappy love letters sent to your darling Applespike. If the gossip columns got ahold of one of those letters, we would be ruined for sure!

Lastly,and I want this made clear," said Picture Perfect, leaning forward so he could look her directly in the eyes. "There will be NO renegotiation of your contract. You signed on for six years, and for six years you will stay. If you refuse, your father will have to pay me a million bits. If he still wants to, that is, after that embarrassing story breaks."

Picture Perfect roughly cupped her chin. "You are making me very rich, my dear. And I have no intention of letting you go."


Jewel kept her head up as she exited the room. She nodded politely to Fair Weather and Mountain Mist, though she guessed from the smirks on their faces, they had been listening at the door. She trotted down the corridor, moving like a pony on parade. Stud Muffin popped out the bathroom only to step back as she trotted past. The wardrobe mare poked her head from the door of her berth and gave Jewel a sorrowful look.

"Buff told me what happened while you were at dinner," she whispered. "Mountain Mist followed her out and forced her to give him the letter. She wanted to warn you, but she never got the chance."

"It's all right," Jewel managed to whisper back. "Tell her I forgive her."

Jewel stepped into her private car and locked the door tightly behind her. Once she was alone, all of her proud strength drained out of her, leaving her weak as a newborn foal. She stumbled and fell to her knees on the rug. Her head almost touched the floor as she sobbed her heart out.

"Oh, Daddy," she whispered. "How I wish you were here."