• Published 8th Mar 2017
  • 14,122 Views, 915 Comments

Hell & High Water - Uria the Sacred Beast



Sunset's life takes a turn when Anon-a-Miss appears on MyStable, slandering her name, and spiraling her life down a road she never could have expected. Are all her attempts at changing for naught, or will one spark of hope keep the fire burning?

  • ...
32
 915
 14,122

8 - You Make Your Mistakes But Its Never Too Late

The walk, well more of a run, to the Dazzling’s apartment was a lot quieter than expected. For as bad a condition she was in, that hope spot for Aria must’ve had some serious adrenaline in it. The girl could run.

Stanza was keeping up well enough, a serious expression plastered across her face. She was intent on righting this today.

Marred on the other hand looked nervous, eyes darting around in worry. North Canterlot was the more built-up, city-like area, so the kind of apartment that the Dazzlings could afford to live at wasn’t much to look at. In fact, she was wondering if whether or not this was the place where that meth dealer had been arrested the year previous.

The building wasn’t derelict per se, Canterlot was not Detrot, but the red bricked building wasn’t in the best condition. Aria led them up the front steps and into the building proper, jogging down a dimly lit hallway and to a door at the end of it.

“This is it.” Aria nodded, fumbling with a key.

“You guys are living here?” Marred looked around, still feeling nervous. This wasn’t the kind of place the average teenage girl felt very comfortable in.

“We don’t really have an income right now.” Aria croaked, “And without our Hearts, we can’t get anything nicer. Only reason we have this is because the landlady took pity on how pathetic we are right now.”

“That sounds...pretty bad.” She muttered in response. ‘Great, now I’m feeling guilt. Not what I needed today.’

“Some high school pricks broke them.” Aria frowned as she turned the lock, though pausing under Stanza’s searching gaze, “Though, we may have gotten a little carried away in gathering energy. B-but!” She was quick to defend the three of them, “After having nothing for so long, can you really blame us?”

“No. I suppose not.” Stanza shook her head, “Trust me, I know what it's like to have nothing.”

“Well, I’m sure. I doubt Crescendo chose someone innocent as her successor.” Aria pushed the door open, motioning the other two inside.

Stanza stammered lightly at that before collecting herself and entering the room. The room was dark, curtains drawn. The door down the short hall to what must’ve been the bedroom was shut tight. A television could faintly be heard inside.

Marred shrugged, following her friend in, sending Aria a curious glance, “Whaddya mean by that?”

“Can’t have someone who doesn’t know how to play hard ball running the sirens. We’re a cursed species that feeds off hate and sadness.” Aria said simply.

“Well trust me, Stanza knows ‘the game’ better than anyone.” She nodded after a moment, “I think I’ve been picking it up a little over the past few days too.”

“I’m guessing you know about all this magic shit too, then?” Aria asked Marred.

As the two chatted, Stanza saw Adagio pull herself up from where she was bundled on the couch, looking at the three drearily.

Stanza looked the poofy girl over. The image of the smug, bitchy leader of the Dazzlings seemed so distant now. Adagio looked, in a word? Pathetic, not unlike someone that had lost days of sleep while having the flu. Her eyes were sunken in, much like Aria’s with dark circles under each and a pale, clammy complexion. She wasn’t quite sure what to say as Aria shut the door behind them.

Adagio blinked a few times, trying to get rid of the dreariness she felt. “...Aria?” She asked, catching the other girl’s attention.

“Hey, I got us some help, don’t worry.” Aria said, kneeling over by the couch.

“Some...help?” Adagio asked, giving the purple siren a dubious look.

“Adagio...right?” Stanza stepped back into view, closer to the couch. Technically she did know Adagio’s name, but had only heard it in passing and had never addressed any of the three by name during the previous debacle.

“Yes… Who-” Adagio’s eyes locked onto the amulet around the other girl’s neck, widening in anticipation. With a weak smile, she reached up and squeezed Aria’s shoulder, “Good job.”

Aria nodded, “Yeah, well. Let’s get you your Heart back.”

Adagio flinched, “No, no, I think one of you two should-”

“Listen. Sonata and I can still leave, but if you can’t even get your ass off of that couch, you need to be helped first.”

Stanza nodded, “I’ll be able to make amulets for all of you, but it’ll take a bit of time. This first one will drain me a bit. Adagio first then?”

“Yes.” Aria said immediately, “She’s the worst off. Sonata and I can hold on for now.”

She nodded, clasping her hands and closing her eyes. Marred looked over as her friend’s hands began to glow that dark cyan again, the hard red crystal of an amulet beginning to form between her fingers. Aria seemed to relax as she watched the Heart beginning to take shape in Stanza’s hands. Beads of sweat had visibly formed on her forehead by the time she was done, leaning against the couch for support. Marred hopped over, making sure she was okay.

Wow...so that’s how much magic one of these has.” She breathed in slight awe, her own gem glowing in harmony around her neck.

“...You really are our new queen.” Aria nodded to herself, looking over at Stanza with relief flooding her expression, “Though, that doesn’t change the fact we’re still kinda stuck here on Earth.”

“What’s keeping you here?” Spectrum asked, “Just run through the portal and hope Sparkle’s not in her...lab or whatever.” Stanza handed the gem off to Adagio, smiling a bit.

“No way.” Aria said quickly. “We’re weak enough as it is right now, but there’s not just one princess guarding that portal. Those CHS pricks were the ones who broke our amulets in the first place.”

“Mmm, yeah, CHS, what assholes, right?” Marred frowned heavily.

Stanza took a few breaths, righting herself, “Then if anything, take time to reacquaint yourselves.” She looked to Adagio, “After all, I’m not here to return a burden.”

“Then… You can lift the curse?” Adagio asked, incredulous. Stanza simply gestured to the Heart that Adagio was currently holding.

Adagio eagerly clasped the Heart around her neck, already starting to feel the power rushing back to her just by having it close. She took a sigh of relief when it was finally back in place, the dark magic rejuvenating her strength. The knaw of panging hunger dissipated from her very core, a heavy weight resending from her shoulders.

“So how do ya feel?” Marred tilted her head.

“Back to how things were.” Adagio smirked and lifted herself from the couch, her usual confident gait returned as she put a hand on her hip, “And cured, of course.”

While Adagio was having her little celebratory brag, Aria called into the hallway, “Sonata! The queen’s here to have tea and crumpets!”

There was a long pause.

“...What?” Sonata poked her head out of the room with her eyebrows furrowed. “I’m not in the mood, Aria!” From what could be seen from the cracked door and into the darkened room, Sonata’s hair was a bird’s nest and her eyes were bloodshot, face reddened slightly.

“No, seriously. Get out here, I’ve found some help.” Aria said, motioning to the now radiant Adagio.

“Help with what?” Came the equally annoyed response.

“Our Hearts, Sonata.” Aria said, “I found our new siren queen.”

“...you’re motioning to Adagio, I know she acts like it all the time, but-ADAGIO’S UP!” She shot out of the room and over to the fluffle, looking worried, “Are you okay!? You shouldn’t be moving around so much! Are you cold?!”

Stanza and Marred shared a look, collectively glancing at Aria, who sighed in annoyance.

“Look, Sonata.” Adagio took over, holding up her Heart for Sonata to see. “I’m more than just fine.”

“...h-how?” Sonata stared, “B-but the pieces were...our Hearts...how did…” The girl was clearly tongue tied to the highest degree.

Aria pointed a thumb at Stanza, “I told you, Sonata, I found our new queen. ...Or rather, she found me.”

“Hi there, I’m Stanza.” She waved, right before being glomped by Sonata.

“OH MY GOSH YOU’RE THE NEW QUEEN YOU HELPED ADAGIO CAN YOU HELP ALL OF US THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!”

“Oookay, come here!” Aria growled, grabbing Sonata and yanking her off of Stanza.

Stanza laughed awkwardly, “Heh heh, thanks.”

“So, Stanza, was it?” Adagio asked, hips swaying as she stepped towards her, “Where are you from?”

Spectrum made a noise, cutting Stanza off, “Really, you’re doing this now?”

Adagio blinked, “Doing what?”

She gestured to Adagio, “That! What, you putting the moves on her?”

Stanza blushed brightly, “Marred!”

“...You gestured to all of me.” Adagio responded flatly.

“Yeah. All of you, but the swinging gait especially!”

“Marred.” Stanza dragged a hand down her face.

“That’s how I walk!” Adagio defended, frowning.

Sonata giggled, “Yeah! Even without our Hearts Adagio has been able to have some guys ‘under her spell’!”

Spectrum’s face lit up.

Adagio smirked, “Well, it’s what I do.” She paused, before realizing something, “...But, still, where are you two from?”

“Yeah, like, no offense, but I doubt Crescendo would choose just some human to take her place.” Aria crossed her arms, steadying herself against the wall.

“Oh, none taken.” Stanza’s eye twitched lightly.

“So what’s your story? Where you from? What’s with the scar?” Sonata hopped forwards again.

“Uhh...hey! Who wants pizza?” Spectrum grinned, “Our treat.” Several stomachs growled in time.


“Rainbow Dash wasn’t in class today.” Fluttershy got right to the point once the final bell had rung. All four of them had gathered around the statue, their usual meeting point. “And the team had practice this morning.”

“Beyond that. Sunset wasn’t anywhere on campus either.” Rarity muttered in suspicion.

“Anon-ah-Miss hasn’ posted today, either.” AJ nodded, “So… Isn’t that a good thing?”

“Maybe they’re out gathering dirt!” Rarity accused.

“But Rainbow has never missed practice before…” Fluttershy pointed out, tapping her fingers together.

“Actually… Yeah, that is weird… But hey, she’s probably spending it with Sunset, so whatever.” Pinkie sighed.

“Girls, what if something’s wrong? Rainbow doesn’t miss sports practice.”

Applejack scoffed, “So what? She prob’ly figures missin one practice won’t kill ‘er.”

Fluttershy sighed, ducking her head as AJ seemingly would not be swayed.

“She’ll be back tomorrah, Fluttershy.” AJ assured, leaning back on the statue.

Fluttershy sighed, “Yeah...maybe…”

Meanwhile, inside CHS’s library, three certain freshmen were gathered around the school’s computers. “Rainbow Dash didn’t show up for practice today.” Scootaloo frowned, “Either of you seen her?”

“Not me.” Sweetie shook her head.

“I don’ really pay attention to Rainbow that much, Scoots.” Apple Bloom shrugged.

“Yeah, me neither, why?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“She’s never missed practice. Period.” Scootaloo sighed, crossing her arms.

“Sunset didn’ show up either. Was hopin’ she jus took the hint.” Apple Bloom added, “Ya don’t think Dash went with her...wherever she went, do ya?”

“No, no, Rainbow woulda dropped her by now.” Scootaloo brushed it off.

“You… You sure, Scoots?” Sweetie frowned, tapping her cheek with a finger.

“They’re just avoiding school. They know we’ll just slam Sunset again.” Scoots shrugged, “Now, what did you want to talk about AB?”

“We got sent some dirt by ‘nother user.” Her southern friend hummed, “Someone sent us info on Fleetfoot.”

“What’s the rub then? Put it up.” Scootaloo rolled her eyes, sitting back.

“Alright then. Honestly, this one’s kinda funny.” Applebloom chuckled, typing up the new message.

Scootaloo grinned, “No kidding?” She leaned over, looking at the screen, “Pfft, seriously?”

Sweetie Belle looked around the empty library, before reading the secret aloud. “‘Fleetfoot doesn’t really bind her chest, she really is that flat-chested’?!” The three burst out laughing.

“So much for that boasting about all those dates too!” Scootaloo snickered, “Guess her record is the only thing flatter than her chest!”

“Ah guess that nickname has two meanin’s then!” Apple Bloom added.

Sweetie giggled, “Yeah, really!” The girls continued to laugh while Applebloom finished the post, publishing it.


“You’re not gonna find anything.” The poofy haired blonde giggled at her friend crawling around behind the counter.

“Shuddup, Surprise, you don’t know that!” Came the response from the floor.

“You are wasting your time, Fleet.” Another girl called from the couches, “He knows you keep looking for it.”

“I will find that booze if it’s the last thing I do!” Fleetfoot responded angrily.

“Nooooot happenin’ kiddo!” A blue man grinned as he popped his head out from the back room, wide, teasing grin plastered on his face, “My beer stash is 100 percent Fleet-proof!”

“Bleh!” Fleetfoot complained. “You're the worst, Soarin!”

“Spitfire tells me as much every other week!” He responded with that same smile.

“He’s right. ‘Course he knows it's only because I care.” An orange, fiery woman followed Soarin out, “Get off the floor, Flatfoot. You look more ridiculous than usual.”

“Hey, I’m more than capable of finding that booze stash while looking my normal level of ridiculous, thanks.”

Soarin laughed, “If you say soooo~”

The doors exploded open, a newcomer kicking the doors in, “Soarin!”

“IZZY!” Soarin threw his hands in the air, nearly squeeing, “Hi sis!”

“Oh no…” Spitfire groaned quietly.

“Soarin!” Nightshade ran in with Starry, “We need your help!...oh, hi Spitfire.”

Spitfire crossed her arms, "Blightshade." Came the return sneer of disapproval.

Soarin ignored the two's spat, “You need my help, Izzy?”

“We all do. We-” Starry started.

“SPITFIRRRRRE!” A high-pitched voice screeched as a blue blur shot into the guitar store.

“SHI-” Spitfire was struck hard by Blitz pouncing on her, toppling over in a Blitz and Spitfire heap.

“What happened?” Soarin asked, almost panicked, not paying any mind to the tumble his girlfriend had just taken.

Blitz shot up, looking more serious now, “Do you guys know a girl named Rainbow Dash? Or Sunset Shimmer?”

“Dash?” Spitfire sat up as well, “What about her?”

“Yeah, she wasn’t at practice today!” Fleet poked her head over the counter, “That isn’t like her!”

“It’s true.” Misty said, standing up from the sofa, “In the three years she’s been captain, Dash hasn’t missed a day of practice without a warning in advance.”

“Sometimes after we had to tell her to go home!” Surprise piped in, “Oh! Oh! Remember that one time she came to practice with the Flu?” She giggled, “She gave it to like the whole team!”

“When’s the last time you saw her?” Nightshade asked.

“And Sunset too!” Blitz asked.

“I saw Dash and Sunset in the gym yesterday.” Misty said. “But after that… Nothing.”

“Well yeah, we found both of ‘em injured in Chateau D’if last night!” Blitz nodded, wide-eyed.

“That old failed hotel?” Soarin asked.

“Why would th-injured?!” Fleet exclaimed, “Who the-what the-they were just at school yesterday!”

“Well what could have made something devolve so quickly?” Starry asked, “Because the smell of blood leaves a very strong impression.”

“I don’t know! I haven’t even heard of them getting injured!” Fleet said.

“Well it was bad!” Blitz rocked on her heels, “We called the police and got them to a hospital, said we’d check back in the morning, but they weren’t there. I even got up at 3 AM to help film their project!”

“Not the point, Blitz!” Nightshade reminded.

“They weren’t there?!” Misty blinked, “What do you mean?”

“Chill. You were probably told the wrong hospital.” Spitfire said.

“We saw the ambulance, Spitfire.” Nightshade assured, “Talked to a cop too.”

“I mean, he still could’ve been wrong.” Spitfire offered.

“Explain the hospital’s logo then, Spits.” Soarin responded.

“...Okay.” Spitfire sighed, “Let me just see if I can get in touch with Dash.” She pulled out her phone, dialing Dash’s number.

The call went directly to voicemail, ‘Hey, this is Rainbow Dash. Bit busy training with my team right now, but if I can fit ya into my schedule, I might get back to ya if you’re cool enough.

Spitfire would’ve chuckled at the voicemail if this had been any other time. “I didn’t get her.”

“...Maybe try Blaze’s number?” Soarin suggested.

Spitfire scrolled down the list of names on her phone, landing on Rainbow Blaze’s number and dialing.

It rung once. Twice.


“Uhhh?” Marred looked down at the phone.

“Gonna answer that?” Stanza asked after a moment.

“I don’t know the number.” She shrugged, “What if it’s one of my dad’s friends?” She hit the ‘Decline Call’ button.

Stanza shrugged, returning her attention to the other three at the table, all happily gnawing at their supreme pizzas.


No answer. Voicemail again.

“...Okay, this time at least it rang. So either no one was around to answer, or someone chose to hang up.” Spitfire said.

“Call again, Spits!” Fleet urged.

“Think you’ll get anything?” Starry crossed her arms, leaning against the counter, “Because I’m not seeing results.”

“Try texting. I wouldn’t answer an unknown number.” Nightshade suggested.

“Good point.” Spits nodded, ‘Hey, this is Spitfire. Heard about Dash, and I’m worried. Please pick up.

The number called her back almost immediately. “Spitfire?”

“Dash? Hey! You piece of shit, you scared the Hell out of me!” Spitfire exclaimed, “Where are you?! What are you doing?!”

Scared the-what are you talking about?” She sounded nervous, “I’m fine! Uhh...what’s up?”

“Soarin’s little sister and her friends are over here saying they found you and Sunset nearly dead in an abandoned hotel last night, and were shipped off to a hospital that has no records of either of you ever existing.” She put her hand on her hip with a frown.

Uhhhhhh?” The guilt in her voice was obvious, “I...uh, don’t know-”

“This is serious, Dash. There’s some weird shit going on in this town, and we need to make sure you and Sunset are safe.” Spits said.

Shh! Yeah, yeah, we’re fine now.

“How come you couldn’t be found at the hospital, then?!”

We...left?” Came the ever intelligent response.

“You’d still have records if you just left, Dash!”

Uhhhh?” Spitfire heard a muffled voice from Dash’s side, “They...had a virus, records were wiped.”

“Even still, they’d have written records too.” Spitfire argued, “...Something’s off here.” She narrowed her eyes.

Look...things are fine. We can meet up later if you want, but I’m real busy right now.”

“Dash, why didn’t you tell me that from the start?” Spitfire asked.

I did! I’m fine!” The pout was audible. “Come on Spits, listen. I’m fine. Hanging out with my friends and-yeah, I suppose we are now, yes.” Rainbow said to someone away from the phone.

“Alright, well, what even happened with you two? How’d you end up bleeding out in an abandoned hotel anyways?”

You can thank Gilda and her cronies for that.” The tone shifted, becoming violently bitter. “Apparently we’re both Anon-a-Miss.

“...Do we need to go beat in some faces?” Spitfire asked her.

Only if you wanna get hauled off for it. Don’t get me wrong, I’d be happy to see them get their shit kicked in, but we don’t exactly have incriminating evidence at the moment.” Dash sighed, “...keep quiet about us near anyone from CHS, seriously. All of ya.”

Spitfire sighed, closing her eyes, “I think we can do that. Just get over to Clipper’s whenever you can.”

A long pause came from her side. Spitfire could hear her discussing something with who she could only assume was Sunset, “Sure. I’ll be there when I can. Though I might be coming alone. Stanza’s got her hands full. We’ll see.” Dash accented the name with a familiar tone of voice. Spitfire knew that as the ‘please don’t out our lie’ voice.

“...Right. I guess we’ll see you soon, then.”

Yeah. Yeah. Later.” Dash hung up the call, leaving Spitfire’s phone to beep twice, signifying so.

“...so?” Nightshade gestured.

“They need us to keep quiet about what you saw.” Spits told her. “Dash will be here in a few hours to clear things up.”

“Quiet!?” Starry spluttered, “We stumbled on what may have been a murder scene and they want us to keep quiet!? How are they even close to okay? They looked like death on ice!”

“I don’t know, Dash wouldn’t tell me, but she said she’d be here after she got done with some buisness, and I believe her.”

“What kind of business does the nearly deceased have?” Blitz wondered aloud, curiously.

“I have no idea, but she sounded fine. ...Who you found in that hotel was definitely them, though. Dash admitted that.”

“Christ, this is nerve wracking.” Nightshade helped herself to Fleetfoot’s spot on the couch. “So we know it's not them behind all this, right?”

“She said this was Gilda and her goons. Don’t think they’re a part of this, do you?” Spits asked.

Fleet’s eye twitched, “Gilda! That prick nearly killed Dash?!”

“Seems like, but there’s no evidence against them. ...Sit down, Fleet!”

“Gilda’s a bitch, but I doubt she’s apart of something like this.” Shade shook her head. “But what was the motivation then?” She blinked as an uncomfortable look drifted across the faces of each Wondercolt.

“She thought Dash and Sunset were Anon-A-Miss.” Spitfire said simply.

Misty’s eyes widened, “SHIT.” The quiet young woman’s outburst made the group jump.

“Have something to share with the class?” Blitz asked with an aside glance.

“Well, yeah.” Misty hugged herself, “I feel like a dick. Rainbow came to me asking for our team to support them, and because of the variety of opinions on that matter,” She sent a very pointed look to Fleetfoot, “I told them that we couldn’t vouch for her.”

“So Dash only had this Sunset chick, who was being blamed for whatever this Anon-a-Miss thing is anyway?” Starry asked.

“So you guys don’t trust your own captain? Wow.” Nightshade sniffed.

“Shove off, preppy.” Fleet hissed, “It wasn’t Dash, it was Sunset! You have no idea what she was like Freshman year!”

Nightshade hopped up, leaning into Fleet’s face, “You certainly sound like you hate her. Well maybe you’ll be happy to hear that she got some sort of brand shoved in her face? Huh? Whatever she did, does that make up for it, Fleetfoot?”

WHAT?!” Fleet yelped, stumbling back, “H-Hey! Cool it!” Her brow furrowed, “I don’t think she’s Anon-a-Miss now!”

“Is that what your spiel was all about then?” Nightshade looked on, unimpressed, “I thought you were just going on about how awful she was.”

“Yeah, yeah! Was.” Fleet said, “And even if she is Anon-a-Miss or whatever, no one deserves that shit!”

“Then who gives a shit about what she did?!”

“Alright you two! Cool it!” Starry snapped.

“Seriously.” Soarin’s voice was firm. “We need to be ready for when Dash gets here. She probably won’t look well, but we have to stay supportive.”

“What do you think she’ll look like?” Blitz had really defaulted back to her more cheery side given that Dash’s health had more or less been cleared, “Bandaged like a mummy? Scars all over her body?!”

Nightshade rolled her eyes, rejoining Starry where she stood, “Either way, we’re waitin’ for her too. We need to be sure she’s okay.”

“We never said you couldn’t.” Fleet glared.

“Wow! You’re really stressed!” Blitz giggled, “Have you ever tried tai chi?”

“...This isn’t the time for that, Fleet.” Misty said.

Fleet let out a breath, huffing stubbornly. This was going to be a long wait.


Spectrum flopped back in her chair as she hung up the phone call, “Urk, that was stressful.”

Stanza sent her a pointed look, “I can imagine. Thanks for keeping things quiet for now.”

“And… Who was that?” Adagio asked.

“Friends of mine. Good people.” Marred nodded. “Mostly.”

“Mostly?” Stanza echoed flatly.

“Well, some of them are ‘difficult’.”

“I know the feeling.” Adagio said simply.

Aria and Sonata both turned to look at Adagio with equally flat stares. “Save it for when we’re back on your level, Dazzle.”

Adagio chuckled at them, “You’ll never quite make that.” She teased.

Aria rolled her eyes, holding back a smirk.

Sonata didn’t bother trying to hide her more jovial attitude, giggling, “It's good to have you back, Dagi!”

“It’ll be better once you two are back as well. ...It’s amazing to be at full power again.” She smirked.

Marred blinked, “Like...when you absorb some magic with those things?”

“No, our Queen chose to put me back at full power.” Adagio said, totally not batting her eyelashes at said Queen. Stanza shifted in her seat slightly. The title drop and not at all sultry look made her rather uncomfortable.

“Wait, what?” Marred stared, eyes wide as saucers, “Uh, as a human, should I be worried?”

“Mmm. It depends.” Adagio changed targets with a grin, approaching Marred instead, tracing her own hips with her fingers. “Should you be?”

“Adagio, don’t do this right now.” Aria sighed.

“Wow, Adagio really is back to her old self!” Sonata giggled.

Stanza blinked, watching as Adagio materialized at Marred’s side, “I’d appreciate you not flustering my friend like that, Adagio.”

Aria cleared her throat a bit more forcefully at Adagio.

“...Oh, fine.” Adagio chuckled, “You people are no fun.”

“I’m plenty fun! This just ain’t my kinda fun.” The pale blue girl pouted at the fluffy siren.

“Riiight. Well, anyways, you two never told us about yourselves. Clearly you have some history at CHS, so you’d know who we are.”

Stanza and Marred shared a worried glance, “...yeah, we know you guys.” Marred nodded. “Battle of the Bands and all that.”

“Well then, what’s your story?” Adagio asked, crossing her arms, “I’m dying to know.”

Another uncomfortable look, “Maybe we should delay talks of the past a bit longer?” Stanza suggested, “Until Aria and Sonata have their Hearts as well.”

“Well, how long is that going to take?” Aria asked, patient but still eager.

“I’m gonna need some rest to recharge. That took a lot outta me. I should be able to make another Heart...tomorrow?” Stanza smiled.

“Alright then, you’ll just have to tell us about yourselves now.” Aria said, smirking.

“We’re not that interesting?” Marred tried, a little half heartedly.

“...You’re the new Queen of the sirens and the friend of said queen, both of which was apparently kicked the shit out of, got out of the hospital without any records of yourselves being there, and apparently don’t have incriminating evidence for your aggressors.” Aria repeated the earlier conversation, or at least half of it.

“Yes, so uninteresting.” Adagio nodded, smirking.

“Oh, heh, you heard that…” Spectrum winced.

“We used to be Wondercolts.” Stanza admitted, “But it's been made pretty clear we aren’t welcome there anymore.” She sighed, taking a moment to collect her thoughts, “You were right, we weren’t nearly as ‘tight’ as I thought we were.”

Marred glanced around, confused at the statement, but Adagio made a much clearer connection.

“...Son of a bitch.” Adagio whispered quietly to herself, looking Stanza right in the eyes, and only found her theory confirmed. Eyes narrowed, she scanned Marred over as well. “...You two have quite the bit of nerve, don’t you?” She asked, suddenly less impressed.

“I woulda said the same to Crescendo if I wasn’t as...dead.” Sunset responded, voice flatter than ever. “Sirens weren’t really the first thing I wanted to see in the afterlife.”

“Wait, what?” Sonata blinked, “What just happened?”

“...It’s Sunset Shimmer and Rainbow Dash.” Dazzle said to the other two, “Look at their eyes!”

“...And?” Aria raised an eyebrow. “I mean, yeah, ironic, but so what?”

Sonata blinked, tilting her head and squinting her eyes, “...oh yeah! I see it now.”

“Hello again you three. I see we’ve all been through Hell recently.” Sunset nodded.

“Well, this is going okay.” Dash chuckled lightly.

“Don’t test your luck, Dashie.” Aria responded.

“Yes, it appears we have.” Adagio agreed, “I see Crescendo gave you a makeover to go with the lifestyle change.”

“An unavoidable side effect.” She nodded, “Nothing I can’t live with I’m sure.”

Rainbow sent Aria a frown, “Are you cool or not?”

“With your friend here, she’s one of us. You’re still up in the air. So watch it.” Aria snorted, giving a light scowl.

“Uh, guys?” Sonata piped up, “We still kinda need our Hearts back, so could we not fight?”

“I’m not picking anything.” Aria shrugged.


“Same.” Dash glanced away.

“And I’m clearly not either.” Sunset added to the agreement.

“Well then, let’s talk about what we’re gonna do from here, because clearly we’re kinda stuck together.” Sonata said, looking at the other two, “Because we’re not gonna just dump our one chance for survival, are we?”

“Look, here’s my bottom line. I didn’t know what I had done by shattering your Hearts during the battle. Neither of us did. We want to fix this.” Sunset laid her cards on the table.

Dash nodded, “The idea of you three being at full power is...kinda freaky, but your deaths being on our heads is way worse. So yeah, I’m behind Stanz on this 100 percent.” That had earned a slightly surprised expression from Sunset, but it quickly melted into relief and thanks.

“Well...you’re already starting to, and if you’re really restoring us to how things were before banishment, before Tirek, and everything…” Aria nodded a few times, “Water under the bridge.”

Sonata nodded rapidly, “I was super sad and everything, but if we’re getting back to normal, then what’s there to be sad about?” She beamed. Both of them looked to Adagio.

“If you only meant half of that, you wouldn’t have returned my Heart to full power, so… I’m inclined to forgive you as well.” Adagio said simply, hand on her hip. “But don’t go thinking this makes us friends.”

Sunset gave an inkling of a smile, sighing in relief, “I made a promise to Crescendo. I intend to keep it. Wherever you girls want to go after this-”

“Where are you going?” Aria asked.

“Huh?”

“Are you going somewhere?” Aria repeated.

“Not really. Da-err, Marred and I still have business to deal with in Canterlot.” Stanza frowned.

“I guess I’ll hang around too then.” The purple girl nodded with purpose.

“What? Why?” Dash blinked at her in confusion.

“How about you fill us in on what the heck happened to you and we tell you a bit about us?” Sonata offered.

“Yes, seriously this time. I’d say it’d be best if we all got a little… closer.” Adagio smirked.

Sunset felt a headache coming on. Adagio was going to be a rather interesting person to know. ‘And here I was hoping that was all part of the siren act.’ She chuckled “Alright, then get comfortable. This is one helluva story.”

Author's Note:

Today's shoutout goes to Ze1a7in for Green Day's Basket Case.

Page 89, Paragraph 4

However, the source of our power had to change. After the Tree of Harmony's creation and the introduction of the ley lines, our inert dark magic was disrupted. The solution was simply out of our own reach. Other types of magic...dare we try such a tactic? With all our dependence on dark magic, since the start, the very prospect was intimidating. I suppose it was only fitting that the solution then had to be external. Scorpan. He came to us, discovering our plight, and offered a solution. He created a magical gemstone, one that resonated with all three types of magic,, one that allowed the creation of more, all beating in time as a heart would. These alien magics scared many, but we craved our powers, we needed them back, all of us. Our species prided themselves on our enchanting voices and power of song. I'd have been a fool to turn him down. He delivered on his promise expertly. I find the idea of needing these gems to sing odd, quaint even, but I'm not one to question such a saving throw of a gift. Time will only tell in how this all pans out

Hey guys, if anyone likes the Wonderbolts, or the Shadowbolts (ponies), or Soarin, or is just interested in a new story to follow, check out Embracing the Fog by my lovely editor and beta reader, SunnyDays!