• Published 8th Mar 2017
  • 14,061 Views, 915 Comments

Hell & High Water - Uria the Sacred Beast



Sunset's life takes a turn when Anon-a-Miss appears on MyStable, slandering her name, and spiraling her life down a road she never could have expected. Are all her attempts at changing for naught, or will one spark of hope keep the fire burning?

  • ...
32
 915
 14,061

19 - So Hard to Find This Place, so Hard to Catch That Flame

Crystal Prep was the next hit by the incidents. They’d been happening seemingly all week, and Captain Lightspeed Barrage had a hunch that she knew exactly who had been behind it.

“Can’t those damn kids go through one day without something short of a possible citywide disaster going down around them?” she growled, “Just drown me in coffee now.” She had her foot planted to the gas as her cruiser squealed into the parking lot of Crystal Prep. She stopped nearly on a dime, and Barrage noted the shiny sedan of the school’s principal. “...And I’ll have to deal with the curmudgeon bitch again, too. Just my day.” She pulled herself from the driver’s side and slammed the door behind her.

The scene she walked into was possibly more strange than the one at the power plant only a night ago. A gaggle of high schoolers filled the room, and one girl sitting in the middle looked as if she had been in an explosion and then dragged into her current position. In the crowd, Barrage spotted the group she was more or less expecting to see. Sunset Stanza. Rainbow Dash. Of course. What came as more of a shock to her was that she recognized some of the others in the group as the victims of the cult. That led to more questions.

At the head of all of the rabble were Principal Cinch and Dean Cadenza, looking understandably pissed as Cinch’s daughter explained something about a demon fight that had happened through the hallways of the school and had escalated out through the back wall as well.

“Was this the cult’s doing?” Barrage wasted no time. Her arms were crossed as she stepped into the room. Her previous detainee, Lightning Dust, as she recalled, visibly shuffled as Barrage’s voice cut through the squabbling.

“No!” Cinch growled as her piercing anger set its sights on the officer. “And it’s a wonderful thing that you’re here, officer. Arrest this delinquent for attacking my students and tearing up my school!” Cinch’s perfectly manicured nail shot straight to the beat up student sitting in the middle.

The girl smiled, and in a sickly-sweet voice, said, “Oh, please, officer. Try to take me away. See how that turns out for you.” She fluttered her eyelashes. Barrage’s eyes almost immediately set on the dean.

Cadenza was more collected in the current moment than Cinch. “She also has some sort of supernatural power, it seems. Just like the girls.” She waved a hand over the victims of the cult.

“Then it seems that I can’t do much to detain her.” Barrage said simply.

“You must be able to do something!” Cinch spun on Barrage, hissing.

“I can cover up the incident. That’s my job.” Barrage responded, “And if I can find a good explanation for this, insurance might cover the damage.”

“And what about Miss Sweet?! We’re going to just let her go off on her own?!” Cinch fumed.

“That’s more your job than mine,” Barrage replied, waving a hand, “punishments are in order, but I can’t hand them down without collateral.”

“If I could…” Sunset Stanza spoke up, “We have a plan for what to do with her.”

“That plan better include doing something about Miss Sweet’s behavior!” Cinch shouted, “Because I’m three steps away from throwing her out of Crystal Prep for good!”

“Actually, we plan to do something more extracurricular. Sour here could very easily assist me in training up the rest of the team on how to control their magic.” Sunset left out the details about the part of the plan in which they take down the cult themselves because she knew that Captain Barrage wouldn’t take it very well. They were a bunch of minors, after all.

Sour rolled her eyes, “Yeah, like I actually give two shits about teaching you anything about anything. What makes you think that I’d go along with the horse alien doppleganger’s stupid plan?”

“Because if you don’t, I’ll lock you out of the school faster than you can say ‘au revoir’.” Cinch pointed a finger at Sour threateningly.

“Ugh, fine. I have stuff that’s still in the school. I actually give a shit about my stuff.”

“Good. That’s settled then.” Cinch nodded curtly. “I’ll be keeping my eye on you.” She turned to Rainbow and Sunset as well, “And the two of you, as well. Keep your butting into magic business away from my school. I let you both into it as a courtesy.”

“That’s clear,” Sunset responded with a nod.

“Good. Come now, Cadenza, we need to assess the damage with Barrage.” Cinch snapped her fingers before turning and leaving.

“Yes ma'am.” Cadence sighed.

“Now! We can actually get to training, finally! Only took two years!” Dash groaned, running her hand down her face.

“WOO!” Blitz hopped up with a grin.

Aria looked over at the human Twilight. She and Adagio locked gazes, and Aria had a feeling that they had the same thing on their minds. There was no point dragging another human into the mix, and this kid was more probably unstable than the princess of anxiety that was currently standing next to Sunset.

She put a hand on Sci-Twi’s shoulder, “You guys go on, I’ll make sure that this kid gets home safely.”

Sci-Twi was rightfully a bit afraid of her, and she flinched as Aria’s hand lingered on her shoulder. “Will you explain what’s going on, at least?” She asked hopefully.

“Yeah, I’ll give you the rundown,” Aria said, leading her away from the group.

Something about that didn’t add up, but Sunset already had too much on her mind to really notice. Besides, she’d already learned to trust Aria’s judgment somewhat. Whatever happened from here, it was probably for the best.


As the group finally made their way to the abandoned warehouse and began to prepare for training, Sunset grabbed Twilight, Adagio, Sonata, Starry, and Dash.

“Anyways, while they’re all warming up to their powers, we should really get down a game plan for this whole cult assault thing,” Sunset said to the gathered crowd, “Any suggestions before I continue?”

“Can we train in pairs, maybe? I think that’d be easier than having to go around to each person individually.” Dash said, “Or, at least, a group?”

“While that’s a good idea, I mean more along the lines of what to do about the cultists themselves. I have no idea how long we’ll need to train for, and I worry that there won’t be much time left until the cult strikes again.”

“Well, I imagine we’ll have to start with scouting out their camp.” Aria piped in as she finally joined them all, “And I’m the only real soldier here. I can get in and out without a problem…” She glared over at Sour, “But that one is going to need to come with me.”

“What?! Why me?!” Sour bit back.

“Because you know about the camp better than the rest of these girls. If you want your skin to stay on your body, I’d suggest you try not to sabotage the mission while we’re at it.”

Sour scoffed, “Oh, don’t worry. I hate those bastards more than I do that one.” She pointed a thumb casually at Sunset, “Which is really saying something. I won’t be getting in your way any time soon.”

“I should come too.” Night Glider was the next one to pop into the conversation, quite literally considering that she appeared from nowhere. “With my ability to turn invisible, I’ll be able to go closer to the camp than those two can, if need be. Plus… I’ve been waiting for an excuse to use these awesome powers.” She beamed brightly.

“Sounds like reason enough to me.” Aria shrugged.

“Alright, so that’s the short term plan.” Sunset looked around at the rest of the group. “What about for the long term? There’s a lot of us, but not enough to just go barreling into the cult full-frontal.”

“Then depending on the shape and location of the camp, we should probably try to box them in. In teams, that’ll be a lot easier to coordinate.” Aria said, “And I say that they should be built around the three of us.” She gestured to herself, Adagio, and Sonata. “Being the seniority when it comes to using our magic, that is. And I’m going to have you at my side.” Aria insisted, “There’s no way our species’ one chance of survival is going down without me going down first.” She glanced over at Sunset, “Assuming that you’re joining the fight, that as. As much as I’d rather that you didn’t.”

“Sorry Aria, my mind’s made up. I’m definitely going to fight this thing.” Sunset replied. “However, the sentiment is appreciated.”

Aria sighed, “Yeah. I figured that would be your response. But if that’s the case, you’ll be training with me until we have you fighting ready. That’ll mean no less than two weeks out here with me, preparing for the worst.”

“Lumen, do we even have two weeks?” Sunset asked, “What if they strike in that time?”

“We’ll just have to work with whatever time we have, and hope that we’ll have two weeks to prepare.”

“Of course.” Sunset nodded. “Whatever you think is best for this to work out.”

“We’ll do this in batches of three days. Then you’ll have a rest day. Then back to training.” Aria said, “It’s for the best that we get as ready as we possibly can, but rushing into it isn’t the way to go about things. On that first day of rest, we’ll go out for our scouting mission. So be prepared.” She told Sour and Night Glider. “In the meantime, it’s probably best that we train together in our teams.” She looked pointedly at Princess Twilight, “You’re with us, princess. I’d rather not have the weakest link carry down any of the other teams. And Sonata, you’re taking Marred.”

“Why’s that?” Sonata asked.

“Because you’re both annoying as hell. It’ll be the perfect match-up.” Aria grunted.

“Oh, okay!” Sonata responded in kind.

“Wh-What did I do?!” Rainbow pouted, crossing her arms.

“You’re the only Rainboom that I can still be mad at who’s also currently present.” Aria replied simply.

“Wha-! EX-Rainboom, excuse you!” She seethed, “I’m basically an Argonaut like you now!”

Aria gave her a flat look in response, “Not with that temper, you aren’t. And experience. And training. Just being buddies with the Queen and having power doesn’t make you an Argonaut. For the rest of you, figure out what you’ll be doing with yourselves,” Aria said, shooing off the group. Dash stomped off with Blitz bouncing along in tow. Twilight, Sunset, and Sour Sweet lingered. Twilight was strangely quiet, giving Aria a few wary glances. “Sour, what did I just say? Get to helping everyone train!”

“No way in hell; not until you three start. I’m not putting any more effort into this charade than I have to, and helping our your little friends isn’t some enjoyable pastime of mine. Besides! I can tell from a mile away that you’re about to go talking, and I want to be involved with it!”

“We’re not talking about you! But fine. If you’re that paranoid, you can listen in until we’re done.” Sunset rolled her eyes. ‘Is this what I used to be like?’

“Ah… heh heh… Now that… that’s over. Hey, uhh… Aria? Can I… ask you something?” Twilight scooted closer to Aria slowly, taking the chance to get her say in.

“I could tell you wanted to talk.” Aria grunted. “What?”

“Um… What did you do to that girl? The human me?” Twilight asked Aria.

Aria responded in kind, “I walked her home, as I said. I explained everything that she asked questions about. And then I erased her memories of this morning when we got to the doorstep.”

Twilight flinched. Sunset’s brows furrowed in concern, “Aria, don’t you think that was a bit harsh?”

“Yeah, real dick move there.” Sour butted in.

Sunset scoffed openly toward Sour, “Like you care about her!”

Sour began to cackle loudly. “No, no! You’re right! That’s probably the smartest decision you idiots have ever made!”

Sunset felt a blood vessel in her brain start to pulse erratically, ‘More specifically, was this what I was like from Dash’s perspective?’ She groaned, resisting the urge to deck Sour on the spot.

Aria shook her head, “Not really, seemed like a perfectly rational decision to me. She had no reason to need to remember what went on tonight, and she had no reason to stay wrapped up in all of this mess. Instead of making her a target of the cult or throwing her into any future battles, I figured that’d be the kindest thing I could do for her. Just stay out of her sights for now.”

Sour grinned, nodding, “Besides, she’d be nothing but a liability. She’s just a human with no powers whatsoever. All she’d do for two weeks is ask increasingly grating questions while getting in our way like the damn nerd she is!” She sneered, crossing her arms and rolling her eyes.

“You bully her, don’t you?” Sunset asked dryly.

“Gave her a goodbye swirly before winter break started.” Sour grinned, quickly switching to a near animalistic growl, “She got away before I was done, though.”

Sunset started to consider strangling herself now.

“Wait, people still do that? It's been, like, 30 years since the 80s.” Aria blinked in mild surprise.

Twilight was staring at the ground, mouth drawn into a dangerously thin line, ‘Why is she like this? Is it just because Sunset was mean to her in Freshman year? Is it because she doesn’t have any friends?’ She looked up and over to Aria again, “I’m not sure that I’m comfortable with how that was handled…”

Aria shrugged, “Would you rather have her be pulled into this against her will? Even with how coarsely she put it, Sour has a point about the kid. She’s not gonna understand what’s going on and if she has no powers, that puts her at risk. We’re gonna have enough trouble trying to cover everyone when this fight happens.”

Twilight wilted slightly, hugging herself and looking to the side, “I...guess you have a point there, Aria.”

“Then trust me, it was in her best interest. Now, let’s get to work.” Aria motioned for Sunset and Twilight to follow as she headed out onto the newly designated ‘training field’.

Twilight walked off to the side. There, Nightshade was sitting down against one of the old, rusting shipping containers. Her eyes followed Dash and Blitz as they hopped along the top of the other containers, throwing stray electricity at one another and laughing uproariously. Twilight smiled and said something wordlessly to the girl before the two of them walked out of Sunset’s view.

Sour, meanwhile, had brushed shoulders with Starry Skies. “Come on, Starry, you’re the one I can stand the most of your little friends. Be flattered.”

“Oh, lovely,” Starry responded dryly, “Fire versus knives. Let me count my lucky stars.” She followed nevertheless.

Sour snarked back, “Maybe Mommy will be proud of you for being a tough little girl, or some shit.”

“If you burn me, my mother will take you down herself.”

“Hey, you won’t get burnt if you dodge!” Sour responded sweetly, “Isn’t that the point?”

“I hate you.”

Sunset followed Aria away from their section of the training grounds, but her eyes lingered on Twilight as she settled in. Seeing her jump right into helping Nightshade without a problem made Sunset feel a bit more at ease with the whole situation. Not to mention that Blitz and Dash’s electricity-ball fight was pretty entertaining from where she was standing.

The duo walked in silence for a moment, getting clear of the others to work on their own training, or rather Sunset’s training specifically, “Listen, Aria…” She started with a frown, taking position across from her, watching the siren stretch, “We need to talk about what you did with Twilight back there. Uh, human Twilight that is. I hate to admit it, but that probably was the right call to make. However, making that call all on your own shouldn’t have been how you went about it.”

Aria got into position to spar as Sunset spoke, flexing her hands and fingers. When she was finally into a ready position, she considered what Sunset was saying. “Yeah, you’re probably right about that. When you didn’t speak up about me heading out, I figured it was more or less a quiet agreement. That’s Adagio and I’s usual song and dance. I used to do a lot of cleaning up either on my own judgement or on Adagio’s behest. Guess it was just kinda routine of me. But, you know, things have changed and all. It won’t happen again.”

“I’m…” Sunset blinked, staring at the other girl, readying herself for a spar as well, “Honestly surprised you took it that easy. I suppose I was just expecting an argument, for you to tell me I didn’t know what I was talking about and it needed to be done.” She crouched, eyeing the siren and waiting for her to make the first move.

Aria smiled, lunging forward to start off her attack. “Well, that’s sorta our roles now, you know? I’m the soldier, you’re my boss. I know where I stand.”

“Really? Just like that?” Sunset slid to the left, bringing up a block in case of a thrown punch following her and sticking out a leg to try and trip the incoming siren, “I never really took you as the agreeable type. Every time I saw you at CHS, you looked like you wanted to be just about anywhere else but there.” She chuckled.

Aria avoided the rather obvious attempt to get her off of her feet, and swerved around Sunset’s defenses, getting a solid hit on the side of one of her arms. It wasn’t enough to bruise, but Sunset could feel it. “It was definitely a different story when it was just the three of us. Charging right into CHS was Adagio’s idea, and I thought it was stupid from the start. Then again, she and I were always squabbling over who the leader should’ve been. Sounds stupid, but I figured that my experience as a soldier definately outclassed her being a bartender.” She let out a quick chuckle as she ducked one of Sunset’s punches.

Sunset winced as Aria decked her in the arm, but figured she should probably expect a lot more, “I guess that’s a fair argument to make. Sounds like Sonata’s the one that’s always been content with her spot then, huh?” She snickered as she tossed another low punch, trying to force Aria’s guard physically lower so she could cleanly clock her in the face, “And what’s this about Adagio and a bar?”

Aria hopped backwards, but did keep her guard low in case Sunset could still connect her punch. “Yeah, Sonata’s always been the clown. Like being annoying will break up our disputes or something.” Aria circled Sunset, still keeping her distance for the moment. “Oh, excuse me, Adagio owned a club with a bar in it.”

Sunset frowned, ‘Can’t get her from there…’ She continued to circle with her, looking for some kind of opening with the siren, “Wait, you guys had clubs? A thousand years ago and you guys had clubs outfitted with bars?”

“What, just because you ponies didn’t have something means that no one else in the world can either? You really are an Equestrian aren’t you, Sunset Stanza?” She smirked accusingly.

“W-wait, no! That’s not what I-!” The next thing Sunset knew, her face hurt, she was laying on her stomach and Aria had her down on the ground, hands held tightly behind her. She could feel Aria’s boot pressing into the center of her back, “...ow.”

“Can’t let yourself get distracted by a little banter there, queenie, that’s how you get killed...amongst other ways.” Aria chuckled, letting her go. Sunset righted herself easily enough, taking the hand Aria offered to pull her back to her feet.

“Yeah, that was...that was my fault.” Sunset nodded, wincing as she popped a few joints, “Goddess, that wasn’t pleasant.” She winced, brushing herself off.

“That’s why you stretch beforehand.” Aria snarked back with a shrug, moving back to give Sunset some distance before they started another brawl. “Come on, don’t look at this like a high school hall brawl. Actually fight me. You’re not trying to embarass me here, you need to win. Pin me to the ground, bind my arms with something, try to actually incapacitate me!”

“Well… Alright then.” Sunset focused, and her gem began to glow like it had when she was taking down Sour Sweet at the school.

“WAIT!” Aria held out her hands, “Maybe not try to take me down that much.”

Sunset’s brows furrowed, “Hold on… Can I at least practice controlling my projection?”

“Are you sure?” Aria frowned slightly, “You could very well overtax yourself if you draw on too much of it. The last time it was all instinct and adrenaline, but premeditated might not grant as much control as you think.” She mused before pausing and chuckling, “Y’know what? Go ahead. Learn by doing right?”

“I don’t like that response.” Sunset muttered to herself before focusing again. Her wings appeared on her back easily enough, the thin red wings fluttering in the sunlight. However, that seemed to be all she had summoned. She just bobbed lightly as she floated a foot off of the ground. It wasn’t exactly impressive.

Aria threw a small rock at the siren queen, watching it bounce off her forehead, earning a flinch and a pout, “I’ll at least say this, I’m surprised you were able to do this much. Though I’d say that has to do with your dark magic experience being what it is. Sparky up there might be able to do it too with a little effort.” She glanced up as Dash hopped from one container to another, misjudging the distance and vanishing behind the steel box with a scream. ‘Yeah, real Argonaut material right there.’

Sunset finally opened her eyes and set back down on her concrete as her wings dissipated. “So… Guess that’s something we need to work on then, huh?”

“That and your girlfriend’s possible concussion.” Aria snarked with a grin, “But yeah, your siren projection certainly needs work. It’ll probably just be practice though, you seem to have more than enough power to manifest it easily. Especially considering you were able to do it alongside us earlier. You might be drained for the day is all.”

Sunset’s eyes drifted over to where the screaming was coming from, “Right. Gotcha. Um, I should go check on that. Marred, that is.” She backed towards the containers that Dash had slipped between, “But we’re not dating, Aria!” She backed up a few more steps before shouting, “DON’T GIVE ME THAT SMIRK, WE’RE NOT DATING!” With that, she then rounded the corner in a quick retreat.

Aria continued to smirk unabated by Sunset’s threats, “What do you think, Adagio?” She asked, practically sensing the walking mass of hair that was her sister approaching from behind, “Think they make a cute couple? Oh sorry, I mean they would since they totally don’t have the hots for each other.” She glanced back, snickering to her fellow siren.

"Now Aria, that is no way to talk about your Queen. You should respect her choices and decisions on the matter." She smirked as she gently rubbed the gem around her neck. "Even if she is a blind idiot who can't see the truth two inches from her face."

Aria just laughed, “Let the kids figure things out on their own and break open a bottle of wine for them when they do.” She chuckled, heading after Stanza, “I’m gonna go make sure my fellow ‘knight’ didn’t splatter on the pavement. Try and get some actual training done, Adagio, would you? You are the actual mage here after all.”

Adagio waved her off, “Yes, yes, I’ll get to it in a moment. I just want to get a good idea of this place before I take one of them under my wings. Besides, they’ve got their powers down pretty well already.” She strode off, and Aria knew that she was just trying to avoid doing any hard work.

Sour was watching the groups from her own spot, training with Starry, “Your dodging is sloppy as hell.” She called, lobbing another fireball at her.

“Yeah, well at least I’m avoiding them!” Starry snapped back, annoyed at being stuck with the she-demon. She leapt to the right, avoiding another one by just a few inches.

“Stop acting like a ballerina and dodge the damn fireballs!” Sour shouted back.

“I AM!”

“THEN WHY ARE YOU ON FIRE?!” Sour stopped throwing for a moment to point out Starry’s smoking jacket instead.

Starry let out a piercing screech as she fell to the concrete without hesitation. She rolled back and forth until the flames only left a noticeable burn mark on her jacket.

Sour ran a hand down her face. “We’re all gonna die...”

Author's Note:

I suppose that answers whether or not the writer's block had passed. Sorry about that. Thanks to SunnyDays and SamRose for getting me out of that dip and being a huge help in finishing this up. Couldn't do it without you two :heart:

Page 200, Paragraphs 1-7

The sirens have never officially declared war or have been involved in any form of international conflict with another nation. While our existence has at times put us on hostile terms with some port cities that enjoy sending galleons over our waters, there has never been a true war and I would die happy knowing it stayed that way. We've never been a species of bloodshed. However, that doesn't stop natural rivalries and grudges from hovering at the edge of one's vision at all times.

That brings up the subject of the kelpies.

Kelpies are a carnivorous species of pony that split off from the core three alongside our species long ago. They live in reefs off the coast of Equestria, putting them outside of our direct reach but ever so near. Much like the sphinx, kelpies have little care for what they eat, be it small animals, or sentient creatures. More than a few ponies have met their fates in wandering too close to a kelpie habitat.

Due to their similar water-bound nature and the power of word of mouth, our two species get clumped together often and we are often accused of eating ponies as well. This is unfounded, and as much as it is possible for a siren to eat a pony, it is forbidden at the risk of provoking a true conflict. Due to these comparisons and associations, sirens and kelpies are rather bitter towards to each other. The last three encounters in neutral water has led to multiple fatalities on both sides.

Even more regrettably, its led to one of my subjects to try and take matters into his own hooves. Used The Song on his own sister to try and use her as a weapon against them.

How disgusting.

He'll be dealt with accordingly.