• Published 15th Apr 2017
  • 9,099 Views, 683 Comments

The Worst of All Possible Worlds - TheTimeSword



Sunset Shimmer returns to Equestria only to find Twilight Sparkle battling a strange pony named Starlight Glimmer. Unbeknownst to Sunset, Starlight has altered the past, forcing Sunset to deal with reigniting her friendships all over again.

  • ...
25
 683
 9,099

PreviousChapters Next
World 3: Chapter 1

Though the hulking dark blue legend stood firmly in front of her, Sunset was in disbelief. For a thousand-year-old myth, she’s far less terrifying than that of her portrayal. Perhaps it was because she knew the truth of Nightmare Moon—of how she was really Princess Luna, Princess Celestia’s sister. Nothing of this fable was scary. The light azure helmet clashed with the black fur and violet eye shadow, and her fangs looked like the triangle chips that were available from vending machines inside CHS. Having come from a world where Chrysalis and her needle-like teeth had controlled the entirety of Equestria, Sunset felt almost relieved to see what ruled this terrible world. “That will not be necessary,” Sunset told the villainous alicorn. “I can’t leave.”

There’d been an anger in Nightmare Moon’s eyes that spoke trouble. Something had brought her displeasure. “I’m sure that’s what the last little pony would have said had I given her the opportunity to try and trick me twice.”

“Last? I don’t suppose you mean Twilight Sparkle. She's a purple alicorn with a pet dragon?”

“That’s the one. Which means you also know of this time traveling ability.” Nightmare Moon motioned for the guards to intercept, to which they did so without a struggle. Sunset saw no need to put up a fight, allowing the guards to clamp down on both her forelegs. “Tell me how this portal works or else you’ll be spending a dozen lifetimes beneath Canterlot.”

Sunset stifled a laugh. “If I knew how it worked, do you really believe I would have teleported myself to a world where Princess Luna wasn’t redeemed? No, I’d leave that for the Elements of Harmony and their bearers.”

“The Elements of Harmony?” Nightmare Moon erupted with her own laughter, and Sunset had to admit it was far more menacing than the rest of the alicorn. “They sided with Celestia, and I made sure to cast them away once she was defeated. Not to mention she’s been locked within the moon for years.”

“I wasn’t talking about Celestia—I said the bearers.” Sunset moved to unlock her forelegs from the guards, but they made no motion to let her go. She grunted and huffed, giving up almost immediately. It’s a new world, and I’m already tired of it, she thought as she teleported up onto the table. The sudden flash spooked the two guards, and another pair were already clambering onto the table. “This map lights up whenever I touch it,” Sunset said, ignoring Nightmare Moon’s minions as if they were mosquitoes. “It shows the bearer’s cutie marks,” she continued, motioning at the holographic map that appeared beneath her hooves.

Six cutie marks and a white tree stuck out compared to the rest of the map. Two were extremely close to the place she stood, Sunset noted, while the other four were also in close proximity to each other. Canterlot. A guard pawed at her from the Crystal Empire, which was thankfully not covered in crystals. Much of the world looked the same or as much as Sunset could remember from what she saw when the first portal swallowed her. No changeling army or brainwashed soldiers. Just an eternal night.

“Interesting,” Nightmare Moon announced, glaring down at the unveiled map with her sharp, cat-like eyes. “A map of Equestria. These markings—cutie marks? And that—” She pointed at the Tree of Harmony “—is that what I think it is?”

“These are cutie marks of the bearers of the Elements of Harmony,” Sunset replied, and was about to say more before one of the guards pulled her off the table.

The slam against the earth was jarring, and so was the pushing of her head against the cold grass. Sunset tried to struggle—and was about to use her magic when suddenly the guard’s grip loosened, and she was able to push herself up. “That’s my cutie mark!” the guard said, their voice faltering.

“What!?” Nightmare Moon shouted and growled within the same breath. At the alicorn’s demand, the guard removed their helmet and undid the straps of their armor.

Sunset couldn’t believe her eyes—it was Rainbow Dash. The shaved mohawk looked very much like something Rainbow would do if she wasn’t friends with Rarity, which meant this world’s Rainbow Dash certainly wasn’t. When Rainbow Dash turned her flank to show off the cutie mark that matched the one on the table, Sunset noticed that her tail was neatly trimmed and her wings had been wrapped around her sides with white tape, though Sunset did not know why.

“You! What is this sorcery? Why does this involve a member of my royal guard?” Nightmare Moon demanded of Sunset, almost shouting her questions. The chilly, practically foggy air of the forest made the alicorn’s breath visible like that of a seeping miasma.

“I already told you—Rainbow Dash and these five other cutie marks are the bearers of the Elements of Harmony. The Tree of Harmony accepts them as such, regardless of the timeline or how much it’s distorted,” Sunset replied, growing tired of explaining to deft ears. If she decides to throw me in the dungeon, perhaps she’ll put Rainbow Dash there as well. Regardless… She eyed the glowing Tree of Harmony. It had not glowed since the world where King Sombra had waged war. I should try and coerce a visit to the cave before I plan for any sort of imprisonment.

While Rainbow Dash threw back on her armor, Nightmare Moon pondered over the revelation. “I see. And these bearers who wield the Elements of Harmony—they defeat those they deem as evil? Could they be used to further strengthen my Equestria?” Nightmare Moon asked, her voice was chillingly calm. She was circling the table, her cat-like eyes never disturbed from their stare.

The gears clicked for Sunset. I could tell her I’m an alien and she might just believe me—so long as I’m willing to help her, she bemused, laughing within her mind while remaining expressionless for the evil alicorn. “The bearers have defeated countless villains that have threatened the sanctity of Equestria. I could help in aiding that power surface, for you.” Sunset stepped toward Nightmare Moon, glancing up at the black fur that almost reminded her of Chrysalis.

“And why would you do that?” Nightmare Moon replied, a chastising tone spouting from her dark lips.

“You’ll never be able to use the portal or travel through time. The portal only affects me and no one else, that’s how it’s been the last two worlds. The Elements of Harmony on the other hoof…” Sunset paused, throwing up her eyebrows. “Well, uniting the bearers and sitting them on these chairs—that gets me home. If you want the Elements of Harmony, which could certainly strengthen your Equestria, we could arrange a deal.”

Sunset was lying, of course. There would be no way she’d willingly help a villain keep their hold on Equestria, but she’d grown tired of wars, prisons, and fighting. Sticking heavily on the back of such a villain would give her an edge that opposing her could not. But Nightmare Moon didn’t need to know that. I’ve done worse things than lie, Sunset thought, believing her plan would be acceptable and patting herself on the back for the improvisation skills she felt she did not have. Maybe I don’t need that class after all.

Nightmare Moon looked to weigh her options heavily, her pupils twitching as they glanced between Sunset and the map. Then, those chip-like fangs bore a smile. “Just who are you?”

“My name is Sunset Shimmer.”

The name stung the nightmare, but instead of souring, the evil alicorn burst with laughter. “An ironic little thing you are. Very well, Sunset Shimmer, from this day forward we have a pact. If you begin to disappoint me, just remember that the dungeons are very roomy.” She paused, her smile turning sour. “And should you fail to bring what you have promised, there won’t be a universe that you could escape to that will be safe from the likes of me.”

I have my doubts, Sunset mocked but said nothing. A simple nod was all she gave as a response to the threat. “I’ll need my own room, access to a library, and of course the bearers rounded up. I’ll also need to visit the Tree of Harmony.”

“The latter will have to wait. I should like to meet these bearers before we proceed.” Nightmare Moon turned to the guard known as Rainbow Dash. “Let us return to Everfree Castle before making our way to Canterlot. When we get there, you will temporarily be relieved of your duties for an indeterminate amount of time. Instead, you will remain as a guard to Sunset, keeping a watchful and informative eye on her.”

Sunset didn’t like the idea of spying, but she knew that having Rainbow Dash close by would only be a boon to her plans. Of course, she did not know what her plans might be yet, but it was a good start. “Yes, ma’am!” Rainbow Dash saluted, and they led Sunset away from the map. She stole a glance over her shoulder, her chin brushing the strap from her backpack, and wondered what the differences would be within this timeline. Another war? Brainwashed citizens?

She did not need to wonder for long. The arch stone bridge they traversed allowed Sunset to see a castle she had discovered in another world, one that was ruined and covered in foliage. This castle was the opposite in every regard. Colors of blue, purple, and white mixed together, fires of cobalt lighting the way. It was the Castle of the Two Sisters, restored in all of its former glory, now renamed Everfree Castle. Sunset had not expected something so beautiful, and for a moment she became lost within herself.

The changelings had turned the world sour, destroying homes and rewriting cities. All the work she had done to prepare herself for the worst, all the planning and ideas she had gathered and written, was for naught. Even the magical training that she had undergone in her last few days of the previous world, it seemed almost pointless now. As she stood, wide-eyed and mouth agape, she realized that her entire strategy was now out the window. She had planned for the worst world possible.

What she got was the best of all possible worlds.

Sunset was nervous but not afraid. Nightmare Moon had remained quiet until they stepped inside the refurbished castle. “Welcome to the gallery of the past,” the alicorn said, extending a surprising welcome to the great hall. Sunset had been here before, standing next to a piece of the ceiling that had collapsed, where grass sprouted up along the sides.

Now, blue flame torches brightened the silky drapes that depicted the moon and ponies celebrating beneath. Glass windows let in the moon’s gorgeous cerulean rays of light. Everything was blue. The ceiling, the walls, the flames. Everything aside from the rug beneath their hooves—and even that was a dark burgundy with a dusky shade of bronze hemming. As they trotted up a short set of cyan steps, Sunset breathed heavily. Her body was in awe of the throne at which Nightmare Moon sat. A crescent moon sculptured into the seat. More banners depicting Nightmare Moon ranged the walls beside the windows. It was nothing like the dusty landscape she remembered.

Sunset found herself muttering and following the villainess across the great hall. Everything was spectacular, and she only wondered what the library of this place might look like. As they came closer to the crescent seat, Nightmare Moon took her place, and Sunset was following her up, but the guards quickly intervened, pushing her back to the bottom.

The villainess did not mind the guards superseding. They were doing their duty, after all. “Have one of the castle guards go the half-mile into the woods and find that table. I want it guarded night and true night. Should the little world hopper escape our custody, I don’t want her fleeing this world.” She paused, grinned, and then said, “Not to mention anypony else that might come through.” Nightmare’s command was fulfilled immediately by one of her guards running off. It was not Rainbow Dash, however. The pegasus stood closest to Nightmare Moon compared to any other guard.

The alicorn then barked another command, “Gather up my staff, we’re leaving shortly. We’ll trudge through the true night if need be. I want to be in Canterlot before my beautiful moon rises to greet the new night.” Clearly satisfied, Nightmare Moon rose and made her way off the pedestal she had placed herself on. Sunset was going to follow the villainess, but again the guards stopped her. “I shall return momentarily. Do not wander far,” Nightmare Moon commanded. A few guards went with her, disappearing behind a solid spruce door that was painted blue just like the rest of the castle.

Sunset was happy to oblige the hulking monster. The joy she felt for this world was almost impalpable, even the air felt clearer. The stench of the changelings had suffocated her even after expelling them from Equestria, but this world only smelled like lavender and lilies. Even the guards were a fresh mint, though only a few remained behind.

Rainbow Dash was one of those few, her purple armor hiding everything but the color of her fur and eyes. Sunset took a moment to examine the armor piece, half because she worried she might one day be wearing it as a disguise, and another half because she found it surprisingly interesting. Starting at the hooves, she noted how the design was reminiscent of the shoes Princess Celestia often wore, though much smaller. The armor, dark blue, purple, and mauve, had a gem at the center of the chest which looked like one of Nightmare Moon’s eyes. Sunset glanced to the other guards and noticed they all had wings. The tails, made of the same material as the rest of the armor, hid what their real tails looked like.

“How can you fly in that?” Sunset asked Rainbow Dash. “How can you even sit down?” She had blurted her questions willy-nilly, but there was little else to do except examine the tapestries again.

The pegasus stared with ruby eyes so sharp they might as well be able to cut an apple in half. They then turned, looking at the other guards, before focusing back on the unicorn. She did not answer vocally, instead, the wings of the armor began to flap, and she hoisted herself into the air. As if to show off, Rainbow Dash slammed her butt down in front of Sunset, the metal tail crushing like rubber against her weight. “Satisfied?” Rainbow Dash growled as she stood back up.

Sunset glanced up at the helmet Dash wore, noticing the moon’s mark upon the helm, just below the fin. At first, Sunset thought it was a fish’s fin, but the pattern resembled closely to that of the wings on the cuirass—bat wings. “I suppose,” Sunset replied, giving one last glance before backing away. Though I’m curious how those wings operate, she pondered, thinking of the taped wings that sat beneath the dark armor.

She let it go, for now, and turned to glance over the draperies once more. She wondered how long this world would keep her. Though she felt nervous, it was also exciting. There’s so much of the world to learn, and for once it might be peaceful. Taking a moment to feel slightly giddy, she unzipped her backpack and levitated the notebook her friends of the last world had given her. She jotted down a page for the first world, which she aptly named the ‘Crystal War’ timeline, and one for the previous world, which she named the ‘Resistance’ timeline. On the third page, she held a pen at the top, thinking hard about what she could name this world. ‘The Night’s Hold’ came to mind, to which she started to write but then quickly erased it. ‘Nightmare’s Night’ was the second she thought of for this timeline, and she was quite proud of herself for the title, even if it was more simplistic. I wonder if this Equestria still celebrates Nightmare Night.

She scribbled down a few notes, making details specific of the armor that the guards wore, and then turned back to the first page. The Crystal War was mostly blank other than describing a few character traits and the appearances of her friends. At the bottom she had written, “What happens matters,” and, “We matter.” Staring over so much blank space, she began mentally kicking herself for not remembering more. That was when a voice spoke to her.

“Water?” The honeyed tone was so quaint that Sunset did not expect to see such a familiar face.

“Ra-Rarity?” Sunset stammered. She had seen the cutie mark but did not know what to expect. The purple hair and tail were neatly in a bun, and the dark indigo outfit the white unicorn wore perfectly accented their color. This Rarity was the closest thing to normal that Sunset had witnessed from any of the worlds she visited.

Of course, this wasn’t a normal world, and this wasn’t her Rarity. “Do you want the water or not?” the curt question ripped from Rarity’s mouth like a broken fountain. She motioned for Sunset to take the crystal clear glass from the silver platter within her magical grasp.

Sunset did as she was instructed but made no move to drink it. “I can’t believe I found you so easily. Are you one of the staff working under Nightmare Moon?”

“No,” Rarity replied. “I do not have that privilege.”

“You do now,” a guttural voice said. Dark blue mist had poured into the room, filtering to the ceiling. Too bewitched by the discovery of Rarity, Sunset hadn't noticed. The mist transformed into Nightmare Moon, or it had always been Nightmare Moon, Sunset couldn’t decide which. Either way, the villainess had returned. “It’s your lucky day, my sweet gallery’s manager. You’re coming with us to Canterlot.”

“As you wish, princess,” Rarity said, bowing her head. “I’ll pack my things immediately.”

Sunset wanted more than just a moment to talk with the fellow unicorn, but she did not get that luxury. “Another of your little bearers, what a small world it is.” For a moment, Sunset thought Nightmare Moon was surprised to find another bearer just like she was, but she listened to the tone of the alicorn’s voice over and over in her head. She knew Nightmare Moon had seen the cutie marks, and Rarity’s was quite visible. She was testing my reaction, Sunset realized, glancing up at the expressionless alicorn. There was a small curve to the edge of her lips right where they met her cheeks, and that’s when Sunset knew she was right in her guess.

“Where did you run off to?” Sunset asked, avoiding the talk of the bearers.

“I have an empire to run, and I was simply visiting Everfree Castle on holiday,” Nightmare Moon replied. “As chance would have it, I picked the right day for a bit of relaxation. A time traveler appears on my doorstep claiming Celestia beat me, then disappears and brings forth another who is willing to help me utilize the Elements of Harmony. I did not expect to have to leave so soon. Preparations had to be made, letters sent. My citizens require me for every little thing, and somepony like you might become gossip.”

Sunset tilted her head and furrowed her brow. Obviously, a pony from another world would be unique, but she could not fathom why that would mean gossip. The face she made was easily read by Nightmare Moon, who added, “Did you think I would hide you from my public? No, no. You see, there’s one thing they fear in this world.” Nightmare Moon leaned her head down to get as close to Sunset as she could, her grin was far more menacing up close. “The sun, my dear Sunset. They fear the sun.”

It was a cryptic message, and Sunset hated the idea of not understanding something. “Fear the sun?” she repeated. She didn’t understand, which made the question very convincing. “Surely there’s a group, somepony out there who hates your night.” She was overextending her plan and her beliefs, giving a small bit of insight into what she could possibly be planning. Not that she was actually planning anything, yet.

Nightmare Moon turned away, her grin still plastered on her face. “Somepony who hates my night? No. But there is a group—one that would pull you off the streets if you were heard saying anything negative about my rule. They’re a group of fanatics.” Her smile soured. “If they weren’t for my rule, I would have removed whatever zealots I’ve found. They’re the ones I must plan carefully for, and they won’t take kindly to your arrival.”

The evil alicorn hushed herself instantly when she noticed Rarity return with a couple of suitcases. A second later and one of her guards also returned. “It looks like everything is ready for our trip,” Nightmare Moon rejoiced, turning back to Sunset. “I do hope I didn’t frighten you. So long as you obey me, I’m sure you’ll have no trouble with the extremists.”

Sunset did the one thing Nightmare Moon hadn’t expected—she laughed. “Zealots? Are you kidding? I’ve fought brainwashed soldiers and changelings, a crystal king and a silver queen. Zealots sound like a cakewalk.”

Whether Nightmare Moon was impressed or displeased, Sunset did not know nor care. Compared to sneaking through a blasted crystal wall, traversing half of Equestria, or disguising as another species, fanatics were nothing.

“Very well, let us take our leave,” Nightmare Moon replied, motioning them out of the great hall.

With all of her ideas and plans for this world seemingly in ruin, the trip to Canterlot was a good reprieve. Sunset got her own flying chariot with Rainbow Dash as her guard. She did not see where Rarity stayed, and Nightmare Moon had her own palanquin, a giant monstrosity that kept her hidden from the world. It was dragged by five guards across the sky, while Sunset’s chariot required a measly two. Dash remained quiet the entire trip, and Sunset did not bother to voice her plans to the pegasus so soon. She’ll be loyal to Nightmare Moon, Sunset knew, one of the many thoughts she gleaned during the moonlit ride.

But thinking wasn’t the only thing Sunset did. Her eyes watched the world as they passed. Grey fog and thick clouds covered most of the earth below. When they sailed north over the town of Ponyville, the haze parted, and Sunset saw the city intact and lively for the first time in two worlds. Ponies went about their business, completely unaware of the presence flying over them. Though the sun was gone, they lived their lives. Shopping, eating, buying, and selling. Bright yellowish grey fires sung in the street lamps, forever on regardless of the hour. In the distance, Sunset could see the farmland known as Sweet Apple Acres. Pink leaves stood out in contrast to the green pine and oak that surrounded the farmstead, and the glow of cyan lit up the trees like Hearth’s Warming decorative lights.

That’s when her eyes turned upward, toward the moon, and she realized how low it had become. It dwindled in the west, cutting in half the unicorn-like face that had always been there. The last blue beams of moonlight stretched toward Canterlot, which they were fast approaching. It stood out from the mountain it cut into, well above the grey clouds and mist. Sunset could see the first few off-white, rotund buildings sticking up past Nightmare Moon’s palanquin, and she held her breath as she waited to see the rest. As more and more came into view, it looked as normal as normal could be for a world without a sun. Banners of blue stuck out against the cream gold of the towers and violet roofs, and the same light blue fire from the Everfree Castle lit the streets. A perfect city that stood taller than any other.

The closer they came, the lower to the ground they went, passing below the fog and hitting the gravel road below. Sunset had not expected such a bump and had fallen backward into Rainbow Dash, who shrugged her back the other way. The dizzying experience left Sunset dazed for a moment, but she was quick to regain her senses just in time to see the black iron gates open to the city of Canterlot. The gate guards were decked out in the same sort of armor as Nightmare’s royal guard, but without the wings. Wings were for the ponies who stood watch in the guard tower, a one-story, open-air imperial platform that stood just behind the black iron fence. Positioned at every gate, they sat prominently compared to the rest of Canterlot’s buildings. Sunset made a mental note to write about the short turrets in her journal. It’s a shame the last world did not have them, maybe they could have beat the changelings if their defenses had been better.

Sunset was snapped away from her thoughts as she heard screaming. For a moment she worried, but then saw the ponies coming out of their homes and realized what it was. The blue rays of moonlight coated fillies and colts, mares and stallions, all who were screaming with delight. “Nightmare Moon! Nightmare Moon!” they shouted, waving flags and trotting in place. “Princess! Princess!” others whinnied, hoping to gain a look from their beloved leader. Some even whispered questions as they looked in Sunset’s direction.

This was the first time Sunset had seen Nightmare Moon since she boarded her palanquin. The villainess poured out in mist form, appearing suddenly atop the roof of her litter. She’s smiling, Sunset noted, staring intently as the alicorn waved to her public. This was the second thing that Sunset did not understand tonight, but it would not be the last. As they slowly traveled up the pale limestone road to Canterlot’s castle, every window as bright as lightning, Sunset glanced above at the dark sky. It’s darker than usual. Turning her head, she looked past Rainbow Dash and saw the moon had disappeared. “Where’s the moon?” she asked herself, wondering if it had set.

Rainbow Dash answered her with a fit of laughter. “Guess you really aren’t from this world. Welcome to the Forever Night. Night is over, and now it’s true night. The princess pushed her drivers into overtime, I guess she’s just as tired as the rest of us.” Rainbow Dash yawned, patting her open mouth.

There had been astrological differences between Equestria and the world beyond the mirror that had made Sunset’s head spin back when she first stepped through. Now, in a world where no sun shined, her mind almost collapsed in on itself. “Buh-wuh-huh?” was the unintelligible sound Sunset made, her jaw slacked to the side as she stared at Rainbow Dash. There was no mistaking it now. This world was vastly different from the last two. War and strife had torn those timelines to shreds, but here, the changes were entirely different and just as drastic.

A bout of questions pummeled Sunset’s brain, but they would have to wait. The caravan that Nightmare Moon had brought home ended at a side entrance to the castle where a guest tower stood in the grass a few yards away, light burning through the gigantic window of its study. When the giant timber door to the castle shot open, Nightmare Moon stepped onto the marble walkway. “Princess!” A shadow stood in the light, their hoof outstretched. It wasn’t until the pony stepped down the steps that their face became clear. “Everything is prepared for you and your new guest, as commanded. We’ve also prepared some delicacies should you be hungry, and your room is nice and toasty if you desire to retire for the true night.”

White fur, a gorgeous smile, and long blonde bangs—Sunset was stupefied. “Prince Blueblood?” she blurted the name.

The supposed prince was startled by the recognition, but it was Nightmare Moon who laughed. “A faulty title given by my sister to those she deemed ‘worthy’. No. I am the only one who has earned that title. This is my head of castle staff. Just Blueblood will do.”

“It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance,” the No-Longer-A-Prince Blueblood said, bowing, his bangs perfectly still. “If you require anything during your stay, please make use of our staff. We do our best to serve.”

Sunset did not remember everything of the Blueblood from her world, though the one she met in the Resistance timeline was fairly charming. She could smell the powder on this Blueblood, along with whatever fragrance he wore. He was perfectly pristine enough to be a prince, even without the title. But Blueblood was not her main concern. If there are no princes or princesses, what happened to Princess Cadance? What of Shining Armor?

It was just another question that would have to wait. “Call for my apprentice,” Nightmare Moon instructed Blueblood, and then turned to Sunset. “Come,” she commanded, and Sunset obeyed, following closely behind the dark leader.

Unlike what the changelings had done, the castle in this world was far different. The size and shape remained the same, but the colors danced differently than what Sunset remembered as a filly. Perhaps they had not been the same in the Resistance timeline, the inability to see prevented an actual look at the décor, but it was clear this world’s Canterlot Castle was not Celestia’s home. Overhead, chandeliers of silver held a bluish white fire, a sort of different tone than the rest of the city. It reminded Sunset of the fluorescent lighting that CHS had when she first arrived—they had since changed to a light-emitting diode, otherwise known as LEDs.

At first, Sunset assumed they were heading to the throne room, and she would get to see the differences in style between Nightmare Moon, the changeling queen, and Princess Celestia. Instead, they reached something Sunset did not expect.

An elevator.

The metal doors pulled open, revealing a box filled with floor to ceiling mirrors. Nightmare Moon was the first to step through, and Sunset followed with Rainbow Dash and another guard on her tail. “An elevator in Canterlot Castle?” Sunset wondered aloud as she stiffened her shoulders, feeling the sudden movement of the lift rising.

“Have you never been in an elevator?” Nightmare Moon replied with her own question, but immediately cut to an explanation, “When I took over my sister’s position, I quickly visited every city within Equestria. It was Manehattan that I saw these beauties. In Fillydelphia I discovered indoor plumbing. My sister and I come from an age where the world was smaller. The biggest building we had ever seen at the time was the Crystal Empire’s castle, which stood much taller than anything we had within our city. Canterlot gave me the same experience, and I quickly understood why Celestia made it her home over the castle we shared in what is now the Everfree Forest. I decide to remain here instead of the broken down Castle of the Two Sisters. After fixing it up, I made it into a peaceful remnant of the past, Everfree Castle.”

“I see. I’m not quite clear on the details of the Crystal Empire. I know you and Celestia defeated Sombra—but what happened with his return?”

“Who? Sombra? Sombra’s return?” Nightmare Moon snorted and giggled like a filly laughing over a dorky pun. “When the Crystal Empire returned, so did that stallion. He expected my sister and me, but he got something far more powerful. The moon was too good for him—I returned him to the darkness that he came from. My sister is the only one who deserves a thousand years on the moon, which was no worse than the fate she bequest upon me.”

Sunset was only now realizing that she did not inquire as to the whereabouts of the evil king in the last world after defeating Chrysalis. Hopefully they won’t have to deal with him like that of the first world. They’ve had enough problems. “If you don’t mind me asking,” Sunset began to say as the doors of the elevator opened. “Is the Crystal Empire returned to its former glory?”

Nightmare Moon trotted out and turned left, a guard keeping to her right side. “You mean to ask if the Crystal Heart affected me, don’t you? You’re curious as to how the world sees me,” Nightmare Moon accused. Her cat-like eyes pulled to stare down at Sunset who trotted on her left. “Please, try not to lie. I only want the truth,” she encouraged, which was clearly a lie. Anyone with ears could tell that.

“I’m just trying to figure out how this world operates. Just so long as the ponies are happy,” Sunset dodged. She could feel Nightmare Moon’s words pressed against her like a club, ready to strike should she say something the villainess not care to hear.

It was then that Sunset recognized the hall that they’d came to, a small corridor past a set of doors with another door at the end and to the right. Celestia’s room. They passed through the open doorway. Both Rainbow Dash and the other guard suddenly stopped, taking their posts at the door where a changeling once called Sunset a chump. She continued beside Nightmare Moon as they walked into a room where toys and clutter would be in abundance had things gone differently for this world.

Instead, the room was much the same as Sunset remembered from her years under Celestia. The carved in shelving held a plethora of novels and novellas, the fireplace held white logs burning a bright blue aura of fire, and the bed that Nightmare Moon slept on was unsheeted, only a few plum colored pillows sat near the rails. The furniture had been moved ever so slightly compared to that of the changeling queen. While the fireplace remained in the same spot, sitting just to the left as she entered, the bed was now on the opposite side of the hearth.

In the place where the bed had been in the Resistance timeline, a metal trunk sat. It was black with a brown lock and brown hinges, the key still left in the slot. Other than that, nothing had changed so far as Sunset could tell. The skylight, which would have let the sun in, now only displayed the darkness of space and as many bright stars as could be seen in the firmament.

Nightmare Moon relaxed on her bed, leaning herself onto her side and resting her back legs off the edge. “My true night is here, the time once my moon is set. There is no day within this world, only night and true night. I had once desired to keep my moon risen for all of the time, but my citizens complained of the inability to tell the hour, and so I customized my system.” Nightmare Moon must have realized that Sunset had questions, for she continued the explanation, “If you know of my past, then you know I was jealous of my sister. Ponies played in her awful sunlight and slept whilst my moon rose. Now, they play and frolic in my moonlit nights, and sleep when it sets.”

“Surely you know what you’re doing is wrong. How can ponies live without the sun?”

“My sister locked me away for a thousand years!” Nightmare Moon snarled, albeit it was a tired reaction. “The sun only caused strife to the world. It made nighttime the time when darkness crept up in the world, and ne’er-do-wells roamed the streets looking for victims. It brought the unbearable heat, while my moon brings the ocean waves and comforting coolness.”

Was this the right time to ask? Nightmare Moon seemed to want to show all the good she had done for the world, but Sunset knew there was one thing Nightmare Moon could never claim was good. But is now the right time to question her about it? Sunset wondered. She thought for a moment and decided against it. I’ll ask somepony far less angry. Instead, she asked, “What about food? The weather? A world with no sun, it can’t be—”

“Livable?” Nightmare Moon hooted for a moment, her eyes resting. “I could answer that—but it would spoil the fun of seeing your reaction first hoof.” She shook her head. “No. You’ll answer my questions, not the other way around.”

“What questions could you have for me?” Sunset did not expect a quiz. Answers would not come easy.

“You know who I am, you know my sister. What am I in your world, the world you came from?”

That one was actually pretty easy. “You were redeemed by the Elements of Harmony. My friends took you down with their bond of friendship. It’s the same way—” Sunset stopped herself. She did not want to let on that she had once been a failure in the ways of friendship. “The same way they dealt with all the villains,” she was quick to adlib.

Nightmare Moon’s eyes popped. “All? Who exactly?”

“Well, there was you,” answered Sunset, “and I believe Discord was second or maybe third.”

“Discord? Did he return? He would have been a fool to do so in this world—I would not have turned him to stone or sent him to the dark abyss as I did with Sombra.” The evil alicorn seethed for a moment, her mouth scrunching as she turned to stare at the fire.

“Well, he did in my world. Queen Chrysalis, the leader of the changelings, was also a well-known nemesis for my friends.”

Nightmare Moon shifted in her seat, curiosity creeping behind the pools of shiny blue pebbles. “What is a changeling?” she asked.

Sunset wanted to collapse to the floor at that very moment.

There had been many changes that she had not expected. So many instances of things growing separate from her base time. But this one took the cake. Twilight… What did you do? Sunset asked herself. She held a hoof to her head, feeling the room spinning. The hardest challenge Sunset had ever faced—more than sirens or rampaging magic—wasn’t even a problem on the back-burner for this world.

“You seem exhausted.” Nightmare Moon sounded empathetic, but the evil grin she held told a different story. “Guards,” she called, and Rainbow Dash appeared. “Take Sunset to her room, and have someone on duty outside her door.”

“Yes, ma’am!” Rainbow Dash saluted. She then took Sunset by the foreleg, pulling the unicorn out into the hall. Sunset’s mind was still in a daze, and she felt like she had been slammed into by Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy all over again, tumbling down a hill of unknown factors and separate histories.

When they reached the elevator and entered, Sunset stared at the reflection of Rainbow Dash. “Dash…” she spoke softly, trying to keep her growing headache from kicking in. “Tell me something of this world. Something fresh, something I might not know.”

The pegasus’s eyes glanced from beneath the helmet, a hint of recoil beneath the soft cerise pools. “I don’t know what you don’t know. I wouldn’t know where to begin,” she evaded.

“Tell me… Tell me of the Wonderbolts,” Sunset requested.

Rainbow Dash did not falter. “They’ve been disbanded for years, ever since the princess took over. It’s difficult to fly in darkness, and it was unsafe for them to continue their daring shows.”

Sunset didn’t care about the Wonderbolts. She barely knew anything about the pegasus showcase other than the name sounded vaguely similar to the Wondercolts, and that the Rainbow Dash of the Crystal War timeline had spoken about it. Still, it hit hard. “There’s so many things, so much cause and effect,” she muttered to herself, already missing the changelings.

“Get over it,” Dash replied, shaking her head so much that the fin atop her helmet wiggled.

Sunset continued to stare at the pegasus’s reflection. She did not bother to reply or get angry. All she wanted to do was get some rest. The tired feeling that had been caused by an overloaded circuit in her brain was making her eyelids heavy. Her vision was blurrier by the minute, and she was thankful to be led to a room, though she did not know which floor they put her on. In the end, it didn’t matter, she could see she was a few stories up just based on staring out from her room’s window.

Not even bothering to say goodnight, Rainbow Dash closed the door, locking it from the other side. Sunset would have told her it was pointless—being a unicorn she could go wherever she pleased—but she did not feel the need to argue. Sunset wondered what the hour truly was as she patted the feathered comforter of the room’s queen-sized bed. After throwing off her backpack and closing the curtain, she pushed open the burgundy blanket and slid herself onto the silk sheets, resting her head on the coolest pillow she had ever felt. Her eyes danced around the room that was her prison.

The door was to the right near the end of her bed. The window was to the left in the middle of the wall, a small table that held colorful flowers sat beneath it. Two end tables were on both sides of the bed, to which the veiled orange canopy was tied. She thought to release the straps, making it like a tent, but decided against it. There was a vanity on the opposite side of the room near the door, a mirror reflecting the tired expression she held.

When she flicked off the lights with her magic, the room was gone. She hadn’t closed her eyes, but it didn’t matter. Whether they were open or closed, there was no color in the world for her anymore. Pure darkness.

The tiredness she felt suddenly disappeared, replaced with something she hadn’t bothered feeling since arriving in the new world. She hiked up the blanket to her chin, her stomach curdle into stone. Every sound rang out like a horn. Trots, drops, doors, and snores. There had to be something coming for her, it could be right in front of her face and she wouldn’t know it. Canterlot Castle had been dark in the last world, but even that darkness was different. It swirled or twisted, her eyes creating the shapes of objects and basic coloring. Here, in this pitch-black world, there was nothing. Blindness.

As she sat in her bed, terrified of the world, it was ended by everything bursting to life around her. Golden flowers spread like wildfire across a grassy field, a knoll holding an indigo gazebo with her friends—those from CHS—sitting on the benches. “What in Equestria?” Sunset spoke up, raising her hoof out of habit. “Am I dreaming?” she said, lucid, struggling to comprehend the world. “Or is this a nightmare?”

The golden flowers pushed out of her way as she galloped toward the gazebo. The smell of freshly cut grass wafted into her nostrils, tickling the hairs. Coming closer to the gazebo, she knew they couldn’t really be her friends, but it was the closest thing to them as she had seen in a long while. Dreams did not come pleasantly when kept in her pod, and it took her a moment to realize she wasn’t in the changeling world anymore. “Nightmare Moon,” she said aloud and expected the world to turn into a black and blue nightmarish land. It didn’t, the sky was dark already. Her friends sat around talking to each other, all perfectly calm and normal, or as normal as they could be.

“Sunset Shimmer!” Pinkie screamed at the top of her lungs, rushing to grab the pony in her arms. As lucid as she was, Sunset hadn’t expected the world to feel so real. And the arms of Pinkie Pie were as real as real could be. Grabbing the flesh and feeling the bone beneath the muscle, Sunset kneaded the skin. “You’re not a cat, silly,” Pinkie said, petting the unicorn’s mane.

“We’ve been waiting for you, Sunset,” Twilight said, her glasses dangling on the bridge of her nose. “All of us.”

“All?” Sunset repeated, and Pinkie Pie turned back to the entrance of the gazebo.

Sunset had been right, it was a nightmare.

The golden flowers had transformed into ponies. Not just any ponies, however. Closest to the gazebo, a Rainbow Dash with a metal wing stood beside a mane-less, vest wearing Twilight. There were more, much more. A hundred, a thousand, Sunset couldn’t tell. All were different, all from separate worlds, and all were staring at her. “Wh-what do you want?” Sunset asked.

“Aren’t we friends?” all the Raritys asked in response.

But it was all the Fluttershys who replied, “You’re supposed to be our friend, yet you left us all behind.”

That was when the arms of Pinkie grew tight. “You left us without saying goodbye,” the bipedal Rainbow Dash growled, and an Applejack repeated the same words, “You left us without saying goodbye.”

“I-I’m trying to get back to you!” Sunset claimed, struggling in Pinkie’s grip, her back legs kicking to no success. “I want to see you again!”

“What about us?” all the pony Twilights chorused. “Aren’t we your friends? Are you going to leave us too?”

“Twilight!” Sunset called, and all the ponies changed to Princess Twilight. “Help me!”

A knock awoke Sunset, her eyes adjusted to the dark room quickly. With her magic, she tossed open the curtain, pouring the moonlight into the room. Sweat beat down her face as she threw off the strangling blanket, the weight of the comforter was even worse from the amount of perspiration that soaked into it. Another knock caused her to roll off the silk sheets, which were soaked with sweat as well. “Coming!” she called, panting like she had just run a five hundred mile marathon. She clambered for the knob and pulled open the door, sending a wave of light blinding from the hall.

“Are you alright?” a feminine voice asked. “You’re whiter than my brother.”

“Your brother?” Sunset rubbed her eyes, yawning at the same time. “I’m fine. I just had a nightmare. That’s all.”

“A nightmare? That’s impossible.”

“There’s a lot of things I’ve seen that are—” Sunset opened her eyes, and then opened them wider once she realized who she’d been speaking to “—impossible.” A purple unicorn stood in front of her. Dark grey glasses sat on the mare’s muzzle, her moderate violet hair pulled back into a bun. She wore an indigo-colored overcoat that stopped at her flank, with a pure white shirt underneath, Nightmare Moon’s eye sat pinned on her lapel. Her tail was so short that you couldn’t even see the rosy magenta streak in between the purple. “Twilight?” Sunset croaked.

“Oh, Nightmare Moon already told you about me then. Hello there.” The purple unicorn extended a hoof, her cuffs were pulled back revealing the white of the undershirt ever so slightly. “It’s a pleasure to meet you. I’m Twilight Sparkle, Nightmare Moon’s apprentice—but I guess you already knew that.”

PreviousChapters Next