• Published 28th Dec 2016
  • 7,689 Views, 706 Comments

Welcome to Batstralia - Damaged



A mare and her foal. A human family. A buck-load of magic. They are all coming to a sleepy little town.

  • ...
18
 706
 7,689

Dream Time

Language check. Anything wrapped in [ ] in this chapter is spoken ?????, everything else is in Equish.

Misty had been walking through Stonecrop with Marble beside her. They had both known about the blasting (as did every student, indeed everyone in each town on both sides of the portal) and were waiting for it to be done and over so they could cross over to Earth.

Marble Pie stopped. She looked down at the ground as a rumble started to come from the direction of the mine, and tilted her head to one side. "It's unhappy."

The world sneezed. It was the only way Misty could describe what she felt. The world sneezed, and blew Stonecrop out with a rush of pressure. Her eyes widened for just a moment, then she closed them. Spreading her wings, Misty felt as the last of her feathers fled her increasingly bat-like wings. A pressure, pulsing, grew in each of her flanks, and Misty Rainfall knew with amazingly clarity, that she was getting her cutie mark.


"[HELLO]."

The word sounded, to Misty, both completely strange and very familiar at the same time. She opened her eyes, and while she was still in Stonecrop, she could see strange bands of energy in the air. Magic she had seen, but this was something different. "[Hello]?" She was startled at speaking back in the same language, but got the impression of hissing laughter. "[Who are you]?"

A sensation of light, water, and both mixed rushed through Misty's head. She couldn't follow it as a whole, but with focus she could pull back from the rush enough to see that the light/water was both huge, and long. "[A snake? You won't hurt me]."

"[YOU ARE SURE OF THAT]?"

The voice was heavy with import, not that Misty could really work out all of it, and she doubted anypony could. "[I think I am. If you wanted to hurt me, you would have. Do you need help]?" A sense of more hissing laughter came from every direction. Misty turned in place and saw the huge light/water coils all around her.

"[YOU WERE NOT OF THE PEOPLE. THOSE I CARED FOR AND MADE FOR]."

"[I don't think I am. I am from Equestria]." Completely unafraid of the voice, Misty flapped her large, leathery wings and took to the sky. Circling above Stonecrop, she could see exactly what had happened to the town. It was now two towns smooshed together in concentric rings. The first ring seemed to be a melding of both towns, but the next ring was Cowwarr, then Stonecrop, and so on until it reached her new friend.

Focusing on the coils, Misty flew in a circle. She had to flap a lot more than with feathery wings, but at the same time she felt she had more control of where she wanted the air to go. Circling, she followed the snake around and around for what felt like days. Her wings never tired, and she never needed sleep. "[Where's your head]?"

"[I DON'T NEED IT RIGHT NOW. YOU FLY WELL]."

The compliment had Misty blushing, and showing off. Looping and twirling, she pushed her changed body to the extreme. Just as she thought she might be in trouble, she froze in the air and could suddenly stand on nothingness. "[This isn't real]." Her revelation that she wasn't in the real world startled her. There was no insight involved, it wasn't a guess. Misty just knew it.

"[IT ISN'T THE ACTUAL WORLD, BUT IT IS VERY REAL. IF YOU DO SOMETHING HERE, IT HAPPENS THERE. THE OTHER IS ALSO TRUE]."

Misty blinked at the information, and then looked at where she wanted to be: the mine. She didn't have to flap her wings, or use some kind of spell (like a unicorn). One moment Misty was floating in the sky, the next she was standing beside the exit of the mine.

In whatever place she was in, Misty could feel a huge pressure come again and again. It was like there was a sea on the other side of the mine—even if the hole she was looking at looked like each end—and it was sloshing something out.

"[Magic]." Misty didn't turn her head, trusting that the great snake would be free to talk. "[The blast did something to the portal, and now Equestrian magic is sloshing into Earth a lot faster]."

"[YOU SHOULD TELL THE OTHERS. SOME OF THEM NEED TO KNOW. REMEMBER, DREAM THUNDER, YOU ARE ALWAYS SAFE IN MY COILS]."


"Dream Thunder?" Dream shook her head and looked up to see Marble looking down at her. "Marble! You aren't going to believe this! There was a giant snake, and it is doing something with the magic, and there is magic everywhere." All the information was pouring out at once. "And my name is now Dream Thunder!"

"You were asleep for a while. I tried to wake you up, but you looked so comfortable." Using an incredible amount of strength, Marble reached down and pulled Dream to her hooves. "I like your wings." Marble smiled and reached to Dream's side.

"My wings!" Dream dashed forward a few steps to be away from Marble, and then shoved downwards with her hooves. It was instinctual. She knew she couldn't take off from a standing start, but with a run and a jump she was in the air for her first downwards beat. "I have to tell mum!"

Author's Note:

Dear Princess Celestia,

Today I learned that explosives are apparently magic. Since Friendship is magic, and explosions are also magic, does that mean friendship is explosions!?

"I am not sure that logic is sound. Friendship, however, is never a bad thing to strive for." Princess Celestia smiled warmly.


So I do this "Ask x" thing, x can be any pony within the story. You can ask them anything and I they will definitely hopefully reply. Keep the questions appropriate to the age-rating of the stories and of course, I they will answer the best question(s) in the author notes of the next chapter. The more votes a comment has the more likely I will get it to the right pony to answer, try and keep it to one answer per post! I They will pick one question per chapter.

Support me on Patreon or fuel my writing on Ko-Fi!

Join me on Discord. Warning, said chat may contain NSFW material and should be considered adult in nature.

Awesome ponies who are already helping to keep me in keyboards and rum:
A.P.O.N.I.
Airy Words
Boulder
Canary in the Coal Mine
Daremo
Dio-Drogynous
Ian
Javarod
Nils
Shaushka
Sirion123
Tanis

And special thanks to the following, for careful eyes and friendly words:
Airy Words
Cross Lament
Vutava