• Published 31st Dec 2016
  • 6,345 Views, 93 Comments

Mother of the Night - Night--Mist



Luna is a kind, yet powerful mare, and that breaths true when she takes a bat pony named Night Mist under her motherly wing.

  • ...
9
 93
 6,345

The Nobles' Dispute

As Noon approached, Princess Luna slowly awoke with Night Mist and felt better then she had in ages. Perhaps it was a sense of pride that she had done something selfless for another pony that gave her this feeling, but whatever the case was, she felt great. She nuzzled Night Mist who giggled as she gave him some belly blasts before giving him a change, knowing he had wet himself in his sleep.

Not long after readying herself for the day and night, and giving Night Mist what would be considered his breakfast, there was a knock at her door. "Enter," Luna commanded as Night Mist cuddled under her wing.

A pegasus mare with green fur, a sky blue mane and a notebook in her hoof trotted in. "Pardon me you majesty. I understand that the events of last night may have left you a tad overwhelmed, but I have some good news and bad news. The good news is, your request to have Twilight Sparkle pay a visit was answered, and she is on her way as we speak, so it won't be long before she arrives in Canterlot, the Harvest Moon Ball will be held in the castle as scheduled, and the head chef has finally found that old recipe for caramel roles his ancestor made so long ago, but he will have to make a few adjustments to it, to go with ingredients we have available today, and he hopes it will be to your expectations once he feels he's perfected it," the mare said.

"I see, so, let me know the bad news Sky Note," Luna requested, knowing very well what it was going to be about.

"The bad news is, the nobles have demanded a meeting, including your nephew, about last nights events, and our, new Lunar Member, as many of the staff addresses it. To be quite honest your highness, I think that what they are doing is outlandish and very uncouth, even for me. What you did is noble, and should not be put into question. Besides, the little one is cute, and I think the little fangs make him even more adorable. It's not every day you see a Bat Pony around here," Sky Note stated.

"No, indeed we do not. And I do thank you for your opinion on the matter, but nobles will be nobles. Thankfully, me and my sister have been around far longer to be able to deal with petty complaints and false accusations. Don't worry, I shall attend the meeting. I just need somepony to look after Night Mist," Luna stated.

"Oh, I'd be more then happy to look after him your grace. I have many younger siblings that I look after from time to time, and they're more rambunctious then this little one, from what I hear. And Night Mist is an adorable name. It suits him well," Sky Note said.

"Are you sure? I mean, if my sister needs you to complete other tasks, I don't want to deviate you from them," Luna pointed out.

"It's no trouble your highness. This takes priority over any other menial chores I am assigned. I know many great games we can play for somepony his age. But I won't try and scare him. I promise. I understand he is pretty shy, so I'll take it slow," Sky Note stated.

"Alright. Night Mist, honey. This is Sky Note. She's gonna look after you while I am taking care of something, alright?" Luna said.

Night Mist looked over at Sky Note, and she looked very sweet, so he nodded to Luna to let her take off. Luna soon began to trot out of the room, as the doors began to shut, she watched as Night Mist began to warm up to Sky Note, knowing he would be in good hooves.

As she made her way to the throne room, she could already imagine the arguments the nobles would present, and the demands they would make, and had no doubt, one or two of the nobles had some relation to the bullies she had arrested last night while on patrol with her guard.

As she traversed the halls from her room to the throne room, she would get compliments from the staff, hear some strike conversation at how noble her act was, or how cute her little charge in her care was, with some giggles to add. Soon she came upon the the throne room doors. The unicorn guards made two simultaneous pounds with the bottom of their spears to announce her arrival from outside, and used their magic to each open a door to allow Luna entrance, and one of the guards on the other side announced, "Princess Luna, Guardian of the Night, Controller of the Moon and Stars, and peace keeper of Dreams, arriving!"

This was soon followed by trumpets to finish the announcement. This practice felt unneeded in Luna's eyes, and sometime after this meeting, she and Tia had to have a talk about these announcements. But for now, she held her head high, and trotted forward towards her throne in the throne room, seeing it had been arranged for the meeting being held with all nobles present, including Prince Blueblood, Princess Cadence, and of course Princess Celestia. All eyes were focused on her, and there were much idle chatter going on among the nobles. As Luna looked towards her sister, she caught Celestia wink, knowing her sister was on her side in this matter. Thankfully, none of the other nobles caught it as their attention was on Luna.

As she took her seat on her throne, she said to Celestia, "If you are ready sister, we can begin the meeting."

Celestia nodded and proceeded as she spoke, "We are here today to talk about some events that happened last night in the streets of Canterlot. Since Prince Blueblood has requested it, he shall be the first to speak his peace."

Luna could tell Celestia was annoyed by what she had to announce, which was an indicator Blueblood was about to have another "Royal Meltdown".

Prince Blueblood trotted from his throne to stand before everypony, and began, "My dear aunt, Princess Luna was patrolling the streets of Canterlot last night as she normally does every night, to keep our subjects safe, and happened to come upon a peculiar sight. Three Adolescent Unicorns were cornering another pony. This pony was a Bat Pony. Princess Luna soon stepped in and stopped the confrontation."

Luna knew he was trying to get her to drop her guard, but she thought in her mind, 'Here it comes.'

Prince Blueblood continued, "And I think that what she did was very admirable."

Princess Luna's composure went stiff in surprise, as did Celestia's and Cadence's. Had they just heard what they thought they had heard? Luna most of all thought Prince Blueblood would have a personal vendetta against bat ponies or something, and this caused quite a few gasps and mumbles among the nobles. Blueblood pressed on, "The young Bat Pony colt is only a toddler, I can not say exact age, but based on the chatter that's been going around the castle staff, I can definitely say it's fair to put him in that age category. But to get back on the subject, he had little to no defense against ponies three times his age and size. Even his fangs can't do any harm at his age. No matter how you try to look at this situation, the teenagers in question had no right to assault such a youngster. And the fact that he is Bat Pony does not justify it. Bat Ponies are rare to see in Equestria, and the fact that an orphaned one was here in Canterlot is also an amazing find. Now I understand many are also troubled by my Aunt Luna's decision to take this youngster under her charge."

Blueblood was cut short as a unicorn noble with Maroon fur a black mane with grey highlights and a goatee similar to the famous scientist Stony Spark said, "I'm sorry, my prince, but I feel your opinion is bias on this matter. Princess Luna cannot just simply throw ponies in the dungeon because she feels like it nor can she simply adopt a random foal. And Bat Ponies do pose a great threat."

"And what exactly is that supposed to mean, Lord Thunderhoof?" Spat a Bat Pony mare with fur of pitch black, and eyes as blue as the ocean, and a blond mane with some white highlights.

Everpony's attention turned to the mare. "Need I remind you, I am a Bat Pony among the nobles, and not once have I ever shown any actions for my princesses to distrust me. And I am sure you are aware there are also bat ponies who are enlisted and officers who have swore an oath to protect Equestria, and all rulers and her subjects," The mare pointed out.

"Thank you Lady Shadow Wing, for reminding Lord Thunderhoof about Bat Pony nobles and gaurds, and I also have another question to state. How is it Princess Luna cannot take a foal under her care to help nurture and raise? How is it she's not able to adopt any orphan she wishes to if she feels it is right? No where in our nations history, not even ten thousand years ago if you wish to go so far, have I ever signed a document that stated that royalty cannot adopt any pony they wish, even if the pony is of humble origins. Night Mist has just as much right to be adopted into the royal family as anypony," Celestia stated.

"I agree, it is not the title that should matter, but the actions of the pony that should define how their fellow ponies see them. I know I have made my mistakes, and I hope to correct them," Prince Blueblood stated.

"A Bat Pony cannot be a prince of Equestria. I will not bow to a peasant who should be sent to some town far away from us," Thunderhoof bellowed.

"Lord Thunderhoof, you are being unreasonable. You cannot judge a pony solely based on their race," Luna argued.

"I'm unreasonable. You arrested three unicorns because you didn't like their behavior. And you say I am unreasonable?" Thunderhoof scoffed.

Cadence had enough and soon cast a spell that displayed a projection of what happened last night, showing every scene of the event. Everypony was scilent, and Shadow Wing wore a glare of disgust as she looked at Thunderhoof. "Before you ask how this was seen and showed here today, let me remind you that, everypony here knows, that when ponies are arrested, it is common practice to have their memories scanned, so we have proof of their crimes, and as you can see, they committed one of the worst crimes imaginable. So your argument that Luna's arrest of these ponies was unjust, holds no ground here Lord Thunderhoof. I suggest you choose your next words carefully, or they may be your last as a noble pony after your display today," Cadence stated.

This gathered a huge silence from all the nobles. Not many had known Cadence to make threats, so if it was happening here, than it was a serious matter. Thunderhoof cleared his throat and sat there idlely, knowing this was a lost battle. Celestia could only smile at her niece's achievement, before she herself stated, "So, I have already sent word to the Canterlot Orphanage to bring the proper paperwork for Luna to sign. Once that has been completed, an announcement will be sent to all of Equestria of Luna adopting her new son. If anypony has any objections, I ask that..."

Celestia was cut short as the throne room doors were swung wide open and a terrified Sky Note with a mist colored foal hanging onto her back came galloping in. Not far behind them, two of the pegasus guards had managed two finally tackle to other pegasi to the ground who were wearing black suits that covered everything but their eyes and wings. Sky Note was soon by Luna's side. "I am so sorry I barged in like this your majesty, but those two pegasi came in through the balcony and tried to attack me and Night Mist while we were awaiting your return and," Sky Note was cut short as Luna placed a hoof over her mouth and levitated Night Mist close to her.

"You did an admirable thing Sky Note. You have nothing to apologize for," Luna assured her.

Celestia rose from her seat and began to rant, "Alright, I know somepony here is responsible for this treachery. One of you was trying to hurt one of your fellow subjects, on top of which, you hired two mercenaries, whom I am very familiar with, who were breaking and entering castle grounds. The fate of these two will be dealt with, but if the pony in question does not give themselves up now, your punishment shall be far harsher once you are found guilty before our jury for not only association, but denial of association with these two ponies, on top of which, being the dealer of criminal payment. If you wish to face less punishment now, I suggest you give yourself up now."

Celestia's eyes had a mad fire. Something no pony had seen in quite a while. Luna's were just as on fire. She wanted the criminal brought to justice. Cadence knew why both were in a mental rage at the moment, and they were in the right. Somepony had just tried to hurt her soon to be cousin.

No pony spoke up. Cadence knew that it meant the pony who committed this act of treachery had more to hide, and would not give up easy. "Alright, but know now, that no pony here will be spared investigation. Even if you are a close friend of ours, since no pony has the honor to speak up, we will be having the EBI conducting an investigation for everyone in Canterlot. Understand, I may be a little frustraighted at the moment, but that does not mean I am not being level headed about things, or I would have been a lot more specific in my choosing of who would be investigated. But on a more simple matter, if anypony does wish to speak their piece about the events that transpired last night, you may speak, and we will reason together," Celestia said as she calmed herself.

The room stayed silent, and Celestia continued, "Then, once the paperwork for Night Mist adoption is done, he will be addressed as Prince Night Mist. You may address him as such now if you wish, or wait til the papers to be completed, it's completely up to you, and I won't mind one bit. And on a further note, any more attempts on Night Mist's well being from here on out will be considered crimes against the crowns, and will be dealt with in swift fashion. If you have any further things you wish to discuss with me or my fellow royals, be sure to have a meeting scheduled individually. This meeting is adjourned."

Celestia stomped her hoof and soon, the nobles began to disburse towards the entrance, many if not all complimenting the royals in their swift actions. Blueblood noticed something and said to a guard as his aunts came to his side "Lieutenant Fire Mane, I must ask you to follow Lord Thunderhoof, and have another guard accompany you. I think he may be up to something."

"As you wish your highness," Firemane bowed to all the royals, who gave him the nod of approval.

"I must say, I am surprised by your actions today Blueblood. I had not expected you to defend me," Luna stated.

"I understand that my actions at the Gala were unfair, and I owe that Unicorn and Earth Pony my most sincere apologies. It was actually after the events of that night that made me do a lot of thinking about other past actions I committed, and I decided to change myself for the better," Blueblood admitted.

"Who are you and what have you done with my cousin?" Cadence joked.

"Very funny Cadence. Anyways, this Bat Pony, Night Mist is soon to be my cousin as well, and, I think, with a little clean up, he'll be looking more noble than me. And come on, a prince has to have a bit of ferociousness to him, so those fangs will give him an edge..... eventually. In all honesty, I think they make him look more adorable then I was. It's gonna get him all the pretty mares," Blueblood teased as he rufffled Night Mist's mane.

This actually made Night Mist blush and hide his face under his wings. "Aww, I didn't know you had a soft side to you Blueblood. You got Nighty all red in the face," Celestia said as she tickled Night Mist's back.

Night Mist giggled, and as he was preoccupied with grabbing hold of his new aunts wing and nibbling on it, Luna asked, "So why did you send a couple guards to keep an eye on Thunderhoof? You don't think..."

Luna paused as Blueblood nodded, "I do think he's behind what happened in your chambers, and I have a feeling, he's going to try to make further moves to strike again, and that's why we need proof. I just hope my hunch is wrong Aunt Luna."

"I hope so as well nephew, but now, I believe we have to make our way to the dining hall. Twilight Sparkle will be there awaiting us," Luna said.

Soon the royal family, with Luna carrying Night Mist on her back, and Sky Note accompanying them, were off towards the dining room.

Author's Note:

Phew, took me a while, but a new chapter is finally out. I hope you guys appreciated the wait. So now ponies are trying to keep Night Mist from gaining a royal position. Wow, so much happening in one meeting. Well, it seems the Royal family is prepared for what's to come. Wonder how Twilight will react when she meets the soon to be Prince of the Night?

Let me know what you think of the chapter in the comments below and I'll *floor opens up*