• Published 13th Dec 2016
  • 2,427 Views, 73 Comments

Smoldering It Over - Turtlehaus



This is a story about a young Fire Colt named Smolder. Son to the Mad King Scorch of the Ashen Fields, younger brother to twin Colts Wick and Pyre. The story takes place many years after the Mad King's downfall and the banishment of the Flame Ponies.

  • ...
4
 73
 2,427

Chapter 23: Family Matters

Even with everything that had been going on up until this point; I had to admit to myself that having wings was pretty cool. It felt natural, it was almost as if I would think it my wings would respond; I could feel certain muscles stretching and flexing when I flapped them. Much like my father's were, mine were bathed in fire, although my flames were smooth and less violent then his. I was rather surprised by their color, my flames being yellow rather than red, but the warmth that radiated from it felt comforting.

In fact, it was so comforting that I had unknowingly ignored my father's rage induced rant about my inadequacies of ever becoming a king; mentioning something about being the king of failures. Upon further inspection of myself, to my great surprise, I had finally gotten my cutie mark. It was a smoldering pile of embers that seemed to glow with every breath I took. I felt content with it.

"Smolder?" Princess Celestia asked aloud.

I turned to see Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Princess Cadance, several pegasi Soldier Ponies, and some goggling wearing, blue suited pegasi ponies, I would later come to know as the Wonderbolts, touch down near me.

"Hi." I replied; feeling my wing giving them a wave.

"We were told that you had been destroyed." Princess Luna mentioned looking quite relieved at my not being so.

"Well, Wingston wouldn't let me get out of my responsibilities; even if I did get destroyed." I said jokingly.

I expected to be hit with Wingston's staff, but the absence of a sharp knock to the head had me turning to him. Wingston was favoring his leg more than usual, I noticed his broken staff and saw how exhausted he looked. His grey rags having been burned quite badly, his eyes more sullen, and his breathing seemed labored.

"Wingston, are you alright?" I asked with concern.

"Don't make a fuss, I'm fine." Wingston said waving his wing to shoo me away.

"The wretched bat should be good friends with the reaper of ponies by now. He's brushed past it enough to be on first names basis." Scorch shouted tauntingly.

It didn't take me more than in a second to figure out who was responsible for Wingston's rugged and battered look. I felt my flames flare with my anger over my father's taunts, having attacked the one pony, the one bat that had always been there for me.

"Princess Cadance, may I ask a favor of you?" I asked turning to her.

"Sure, Smolder." Princess Cadance replied.

"Would you look after Wingston for me, and see that he is brought to a doctor pony as soon as possible?" I asked looking back at him.

"I don't need any pony looking after me." Wingston said poking me with what was left of his broken staff.

"Of course." Princess Cadance said with a smile.

I turned to face the rest of the ponies. They looked tired, covered with soot, singed by fire, and I knew then that I had been out of the fight for far too long. We had come with just Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Twilight, and her friends. Now their were countless ponies here, standing against my father, defending our kingdom; our home.

"There is no way I could ever thank you for what you have done here today, for what you've done for my Flame Ponies, but I will promise you that I will end this once and for all." I said to aloud to them.

I looked towards my father who stood eagerly waiting for me to challenge him. Flaring my mane I stepped forward ready to have another go at him. I only took a few steps before Princess Celestia strode up next to me, fanning out her wing in front of me, and refusing to let me pass.

"I'm not leaving you to face him alone again, Smolder." Princess Celestia stated decisively.

"Neither are we." Princess Luna said with the pegasi Soldier Ponies and Wonderbolts voicing their support.

"I won't be facing him alone; not anymore." I said quietly.

Princess Celestia looked at me rather confused.

"My mother is always going to be with me now." I said feeling my wings slowly wrap around me.

Princess Celestia smiled down at me. I'm sure if she could I would have gotten a hug, but I could feel the sentiment all the same. I watched as Princess Celestia stepped aside allowing me to approach my father once again.

"We'll be here, ready to step in at any time." Princess Celestia said to me.

Scorch snorted angrily, flames flaring from his nostrils, stamping the ground with his foreleg. His wild flaring mane whipped through the air trying to intimidate me but all it did was make me smile. This made him even angrier.

"Do you think those puny little wings of yours are going to be enough to stop me?" Scorch asked spitting fire as he spoke.

I chose to ignore his question, striding towards to him, letting my fire burn as hot as it liked. My yellow flames engulfed my body, putting me into my Flash Step, and my wings spread out wide to flare my fire for Scorch to see. For a Flame Pony to flare their mane with such intensity was the sign of challenging another to a fight. Never before had a Flame Pony flared it's fire towards the Mad King; until today.

"Any last words, son?" Scorch asked poisonously; flaring his fire as well.

"Yeah, mom says hi." I replied coldly.

The fire raging inside me jumped to my throat. Opening my jaw I let it explode with all its fury. My flames struck my father squarely in his chest. The blast brought so much force with it that it knocked him off his hooves, throwing him across the Ashen Fields like a ball bouncing down a street. This power I felt surging through me gave so much confidence, my flames wrapped around me like shield and I felt excited.

Charging forward, exploding from the spot, I raced towards my father. My Flash Step had doubled, no, tripled my speed with this new fire. I closed the gap between us before my father had come to his senses and I tackled him head long into the side of the mountain where bits of rock broke off from the impact.


Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Princess Cadance, and Wingston watched in amazement at the power I had achieved, in such a short time. The pegasi Soldier Ponies and the Wonderbolts cheered at the sight of the Mad King being trounced, suggesting certain moves to pull and knocking a hoof against his head for a few them on their behalf.

Princess Cadance approached Wingston to aid him to a doctor pony, even with all of his protests from before; he accepted her help without fuss. Wingston would never let Smolder see him tired or weak, but more importantly never let him see him in pain.

"I'm going to regroup with Shining Amor and the other ponies to let them know what has happened. I'll find Wingston some help there." Princess Cadance stated assisting Wingston onto her back.

"Have Twilight and the other ponies relocate here. The reign of the Mad King is coming to an end soon." Princess Celestia replied.

An explosion of fire erupted from the side of the mountain. A wave of heat rushed over them, the mixture of red and yellow fire plumed from the base of the mountain arching up towards the crest. The fight between the Mad King and Smolder was just starting, and it could be felt by every pony within the Ashen Fields. Princess Cadance took flight towards the eastern side of Castle Char, while Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, and the rest of ponies watched the battle with great anticipation to how it was going to end.


My father's fire no longer overpowered mine. In fact, my fire seemed to rival his and, at times, over power his. The heat of his fire could not reach me, nor was his presence threatening to me, and he knew I was no longer afraid of him. Scorch bounded up the side of the mountain, using his own Flash Step to put distance between us. His horn exploded with light, thin spikes of rock jutted out from beneath my hooves attempting to skewer me where I stood. With a few quick steps to avoid the first few spikes, I racing up the mountain side in a full sprint, the spikes quickly gaining on me. Ducking, diving and dodging my way through the forest of razor sharp spikes that sprouted up from the ground, I realized that I had other options.

Leaping into the air I felt my wings open up, giving me lift as I soared up and over the spikes. Flapping my wings to keep myself airborne seemed almost like second nature, although the real test was if I could learn how to fly without crashing into things. My father stood at the lip of the volcano, fanning out his wings and making the mountain shake beneath him. I could see the magma within the basin begin to thrash about; I guessed that he was planning to use the volcano against me. I decided that we'd let the volcano choose who it answered to.

I dived towards my father, picking up incredible speed, watching him rear back to accept my challenge. A torrent of fire surged from his mouth, spiraling out towards me, with a lift of my wing I felt myself roll beneath it. The dip brought me dangerously close to the ground and I got my hooves under me and charged up the hill from there. Galloping towards my farther, my Flash Step propelling me forward, I tackled my father once more, knocking the two of us into the basin of the volcano.


The Soldier Ponies of the Crystal Empire and Canterlot watched the fire in the distance making its way up the side of the mountain. Murmuring among themselves on what it could be, wondering where the Princesses were. Shining Armor was already preparing to move them out.

"Soldiers! Form ranks! We march on the mountain!" Shining Armor bellowed watching several hundred ponies quickly get into formation.

"Where do you need us?" Twilight asked allowed.

Twilight, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie and Spike stood at the ready, waiting for orders.

"You seven can stay near the back. I don't need any of you ponies getting hurt if the Mad King tries to shower us with fire again." Shining Armor said pointing them towards the back.

"We're not going to sit in the back and act like a fifth wheel on a wagon!" Applejack said in protest.

"I want to see some action!" Rainbow Dash shouted.

"You ponies are not Soldier Ponies! You need to let us do our job so you can do yours!" Shining Armor snapped back but the mane six didn't seem to be having any of it.

Their arguing went on for a few minutes on where they should be, when the Soldier Ponies began to chatter among themselves pointing towards the rear of the battalion. Shining Armor looked up to see a large break in the ranks forming towards him allowing a rather large mass of fire approach him with Discord leading the way. The last few lines of Soldier Ponies separated allowing Discord, General Hearth and the largest herd of Flame Ponies he had ever seen come through.

"May I reintroduce the residents of the Ashen Fields, the Flame Ponies and their pony in charge General Hearth." Discord said magically creating some fanfare for the occasion.

"Who's the pony in charge?" General Hearth asked aloud.

"That would be me, General." Shining Armor said throwing out his chest.

General Hearth's eyes grew wide with surprise.

"They're getting younger and younger aren't they?" General Hearth asked himself.

"Sir?" Shining Armor asked not quite catching his remark.

"Never mind, where is Prince Smolder?" General Hearth asked quickly.

"Smolder?" Shining Armor asked surprised.

The look of dread washed over Shining Armor's face realizing that General Hearth may not know what had happened to Smolder.

"General Hearth, sir, we told you what happened to Smolder already." Fluttershy said softly.

"Indeed, but Smolder has returned to us." General Hearth replied, unable to hide a smile.

"Say what?" Twilight asked in surprise.

"It's true Twilight Sparkle. I saw it with my own two eyes." Discord said popping them out of his head and showing them to her.

"Matchstick's okay?" Rainbow Dash asked excitedly.

"From the look of things I say he's the one causing all the ruckus over at the volcano." Discord said raising his eyes up over his head with his paws to get a better look.

"Peanut! Did you hear that? Smolder's alive!" Cosmic said bouncing up and down.

"That's a relief. I didn't want to be the pony to tell Tea that Smolder had been snuffed out." Peanut said wiping his head with his hoof.

"How is that possible? The Mad King said he had destroyed him?" Shining Armor asked feeling confused.

"I have someone who can help fill in some of the blanks." Princess Cadance said aloud.

Coming to a gentle landing, Princess Cadance strode up to Shining Armor who quickly embraced her murmuring his thanks for her not being harmed.

"Hey! It's Wingston!" Spike cried pointing his claw at him.

"Where?" Wingston asked looking around.

"We thought you were dead!" Pinkie Pie said hopping over to him.

"I thought so too." Wingston replied in all honesty.

"Wingston is hurt; he needs a doctor pony right away." Princess Cadance explained lowering herself to the ground so Wingston could slide off.

"Are you in any pain?" Rarity asked sounding concerned.

"I'll be fine. The fuss ponies make over the smallest of scratches is beyond me." Wingston said putting weight on his claw and falling over immediately.

General Hearth was the first to reach Wingston, helping him to sit down as several Flame Ponies surround him. The Flame Ponies wished him well, thanking Celestia that he was still alive and asking if Prince Smolder had truly returned. It was obvious to every pony that Wingston was well loved among the Flame Ponies, that it was not only Smolder who seemed to appreciate the effort Wingston put into his duties.

"Smolder is back." Wingston said confirmed to them.

"Thank Celestia." General Hearth muttered.

"He has elected to face his father alone." Wingston continued watching the Flame Ponies stand aside for a doctor pony to reach him.

"Alone? I thought he would want the help of Princess Celestia and Princess Luna?" Twilight asked looking confused.

"This fight has become more personal to Smolder. The Twins have run off making Smolder the next in line to rule. "Wingston explained watching the doctor pony fuss over his leg.

"So Smolder's fighting for his right to rule over the Ashen Fields?" Shining Armor asked, sounding concerned.

"The battle for the crown has begun." Wingston replied.

"Princess Celestia has requested that the six of you join her. She believes that Smolder will win this fight and give you the chance to seal the Mad King back into the Void." Princess Cadance explained to them.

"We're on our way!" Rainbow Dash declared throwing a salute.

"I'll stay here with Wingston." Spike said putting his claws on Wingston's shoulder.

"I've always wanted a dragon as a body guard." Wingston said wincing at the doctor pony's bandage wrapping.

"Be careful Twilight, we'll be right behind you." Shining Armor said embracing her.

"Just make sure you're there to see us put away this monster once and for all." Twilight said motioning for the other to follow her.


Spurts of lava shot up from the pool of liquid hot magma. My father sloshed about in the inferno trying to find traction beneath his hooves, flailing about and roaring in anger. I stood upon a large piece of rock that had collapsed into the volcano during one of the explosions from earlier. My father sunk beneath the surface of the magma disappearing from my sight. My eyes began to trace over the pool trying to determine where he was.

Large spurts of lava jumped from the magma pool. My eyes darting to each one, believing that one would be my father making his move against me. To my surprise my father slowly rose out of the lava, magma sliding off of his hide leaving only small legions of his hide left; seeming to be more fire then pony now. His horn glowing brilliantly, magically lifting himself from the magma, and setting himself down on an outcropping of rock.

"Are you not the least bit curious to how your mother died?" Scorch shouted over the roar of the volcano.

His words only caused my mane and wings to flare violently.

"No?" Scorch asked tilting his head.

I lowered my head, flaring my wings towards him; ready to attack.

"So be it." Scorch said raising his own wings to me.

I felt the rock beneath me begin to shake. The magma pool boiled around me, throwing waves of lava over my head and shooting towers over lava into the air. Deciding not to stick around, I leaped into the air doing a sort of aerial dance to avoid the columns of lava. I spent too much time focusing on the lava around me that my father got to my blind side and hit me with a torrent of fire sending me slamming in the side of the rock basin. Fortunately, my wing softened the impact but only just. Scorch leaped through the air, hooves poised to crush me into the rock. Kicking off the wall, I launched myself to the side to avoid being crushed under hoof by my father, but I was pelted by the impact of broken rock and soot that flew from his impact with the wall. My father's wing sliced through the cloud of soot, his strike went wide, his second swipe caught me sending me skipping over the pool of magma and being engulfed in a sudden wall of lava that crashed over me. Drifting through the air onto the outcropping of rock, the Mad King surveyed the magma, watching the lava bubble with heat.

"Some king!" Scorch shouted aloud; mockingly.

A large bubble swelled from the surface of the magma, my wings opened wide throwing lava into my father's eyes. My father cursed in agony, I collided with him, slamming my father against the rock wall. A thick layer of lava hung off my wings. I took a swing at my father connecting with his head, sending him reeling, while the second swipe of my wing I took out his forelegs, knocking them out from under him; dropping him hard to his knees. He lifted his head, ours eyes met for a moment; having realized that I had made him kneel before me.

"Some king." I stated standing before him.

In an instant we both let loose a blast of fire at one another, filling the chamber of the volcano with red and yellow fire.


Twilight, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Applejack were racing across the Ashen Fields. In the distance they spotted Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, several pegasi Solider Ponies and the Wonderbolts all looking towards the mountain.

"Princess Celestia!" Twilight shouted slowing to a stop.

"Twilight, you and your friends are going to need to be ready to use the Elements of Harmony at a moment's notice." Princess Celestia stated urgently striding up to them.

"We're ready! Just point us at that mean old hot head!" Rainbow Dash said looking around.

"How is Wingston?" Princess Luna asked stepping towards them.

"He's got a doctor pony taking care of him right now." Applejack replied.

"Shining Armor and Princess Cadance are bringing the rest of the Soldier Ponies as we speak." Twilight informed them.

"Excellent." Princess Celestia said returning her gaze to the mountain.

"Is that where the Mad King is?" Fluttershy asked quietly.

"Indeed." Princess Luna replied.

"Is it true that Smolder is taking him on all by himself?" Rarity asked sounding concerned.

"It's true." Princess Celestia said.

"If you don't mind me asking Princess Celestia, but why would you let him fight the Mad King on his own? With you, Princess Luna, Princess Cadance, the Wonderbolts and all these Solider ponies, you could have easily taken him." Twilight asked sounding a bit confused.

"You're right, Twilight. We could have overpowered the Mad King if we all attacked him at once but Smolder has asked to do this on his own." Princess Celestia replied.

"Because he needs to overthrow his father so he can take the throne?" Pinkie Pie asked curiously.

"That is what will happen, yes, but I believe Smolder wants to prove to himself that he has the strength to protect those he cares for. If we aid him now, he will always wonder if he had the power and the resolve to stand up to those that would do him harm. To Smolder, this isn't a fight to to become the next King, it is to see if he challenge his father's ideals on what it means to be a Flame Pony." Princess Celestia explained.

"Aren't you worried that he might get hurt?" Fluttershy asked.

"Of course, but that's why we're here. Just in case he does need our help, he has friends who will be there to lend him a hoof." Princess Celestia said.


Scorch took several swipes with his wings at me, mixing in a few kicks with his forelegs trying to take me down. My smaller size made it easier for me to maneuver, and harder for him to hit. It also helped that my Flash Step had gotten so powerful. I ducked under my father's wing that sailed clear over my head, I spewed a fire under his chest, hitting him the stomach and forcing him back. Using his wings to shield himself I went on the attack, striking my hooves against his wings trying to force him back and breathing fire relentlessly at him.

My smaller stature may have given me speed but it lacked the raw power necessary to physically compete with my father. Deciding to use this opportunity, I backed off from my father and took to the skies. Flying out from the volcano, I decided that the skies might be my best chance of overpowering my father. My father soared after me, spewing trails of fire in my direction, I weaved around them and took off higher into the sky. Pillars of fire shot past me, my father was getting closer and my plan only consisted of avoiding him.

My mind raced for ideas, at least when I wasn't focusing on dodging the fire my father spewed at me. An idea did come to mind; it was a horrible idea, stupid idea but an idea none the less. While it was true that I could not overpower my father with raw strength, I figured speed was just as dangerous if it came to a sudden stop. Tucking in my wings I sailed up a few more feet into the air before falling backwards and nose diving back down towards my father. Rearing back his head, my father filled the sky with a flash of fire, and I sailed right through it. His fire slowed me some but gravity was on my side and it helped me push through. I came out the other side colliding my father right in the chest, and in that moment of impact I took hold of him; biting down hard into his shoulder.

We tumbled through the air, my wings striking his keeping him from being able to slow our decent. His hooves struck me repeatedly, feeling his fire wash over me trying to force me to let go but it only made me cling to him tighter. The amount of wind passing by forced my father and I into our Flash Step. Together we created a large ball of fire that dropped out of the sky like a rock. The ground was quickly approaching, I could hear my father roaring in anger but just as the ground was inches away I realized that this was the first time I ever held my father.

Our impact broke open the ground, leaving a good sized crater beneath us. My father had graciously absorbed most of the impact on his back. While I took only a few scrapes and bruises from it, but I had been thrown a few yards away colliding with ground rather harshly. I slowly got to my hooves, dazed from the impact. Through my distorted vision I could see my father lying on the ground, unmoving and his flames seemed to be flickering.

A sudden pain shot through my body. I glanced over to see my right wing bent in an odd direction. Pulling it close to my body I knew that I was grounded from here on out. Scorch groaned loudly, rolling over onto his side, his breathing labored and his face screwed up in pain.

"You... filthy little…" Scorch began to mutter trying to get his hooves under him.

A blast of fire impacted Scorch, sending him sliding across the ground tearing up the uneven earth beneath him and coming to a slow stop a few yards away. Scorch raised his head to see me charging him, I drove my hooves into his side, feeling a bone give way under my hoof while my father roared in pain and rolled over a few times. Clutching his side my father tried to stand but failed. He struggled to get up but it was clear that one his back legs had broken from the impact and his back was doing him no favors.

"So… this is it…" Scorch muttered wheezing through his words.

I stood silent, watching him struggle to breathe and prop himself up. Even with my broken wing, I still felt ready to fight.

"If only your mother was here to see this." Scorch said with a grin.

My father felt my hooves slam against his chest, knocking him to the ground. Driving my hooves down onto his face repeatedly, feeling my legs tremble from each strike but that grin never left his face. He laughed through my hits, knowing where my anger stemmed from, where my pain was centered around. I stomped my hoof down onto his neck to keep him from rising, taking a deep breath, released all the fire I felt burning up inside me, bathing him in the yellow fire; watching his face disappear within my fire.

Breathing hard, I stepped back, my heart raced in anger, I felt my body shaking begging him to smile again so I could try to wipe it away once more. His wing suddenly shot out striking me across the face. I went sprawling sideways, almost losing my footing. I looked back to see my father lunging at me.

Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Princess Cadance, Shining Armor, General Hearth, Discord, Wingston, Twilight, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy , Spike, Peanut, Cosmic, the Wonderbolts, and all the Soldiers ponies from the Crystal Empire and Canterlot watched from a far as we hit one another.

It had been a Mad King and a young Prince fighting for the future of the Ashen Fields. Now, at the end, every pony could see what was really taking place. It was a father and son viciously beating one another. The Mad King and Smolder traded blows, one hoof strike after the other. A strike to the head, a blow to chest, a whip of the wing and neither gave an inch of ground. It wasn't a battle anymore, it was hardly a fight, it was just two feelings of anger and heartbreak colliding with one another. The whole of the Ashen Fields had fallen silent, so all but the grunts and anguish of a father and son could be heard echoing across the land.

My father roared throwing his whole weight behind a strike of his hoof. I dipped low to avoid it, using all of my strength I leaped up at him, striking him in the face with my forehead; sending him toppling backwards. I staggered back falling to the ground, almost knocking myself out from that blow and seeing hundreds of spots in front of my eyes. My father was slowly getting back on his hooves, and I felt myself doing the same.

"Smolder…" Scorch whispered through a gasp.

I didn't reply. I got to my hooves, flaring my mane, ready to throw another series of blows with him. Scorch suddenly took a knee, coughing hoarsely, unable to catch his breath. I watched him struggle to breath, unable to bring myself to attack him in this state.

"I was… wrong about… you…" Scorch said weakly.

I stood wearing a black eye, a cut lip, and a torn ear. Bruises lined my body, my wing broken and my hide full of scratches and cuts. Although my fire stayed burning strong while my father's began to waver with each breath he took.

My heart was still racing, I had the advantage, I could end here and now; no pony else would ever have to fear my father again. I felt myself take a step forward.

"Smolder?" Princess Celestia's voice called out to me.

I stopped. I looked over to see Princess Celestia standing beside Princess Cadance, Princess Luna and Shining Armor.

Twilight, Spike, Wingston and every pony else was there too. I could see the armies of Soldier Ponies several yards away, the whole herd of Flame Ponies standing among them.

"Hi…" I said weakly.

"Hi, Smolder." Every pony said together.

"I think it's over, Smolder. Don't you?" Princess Celestia asked looking over at the defeated Mad King.

My father's eyes met mine, there was still so much hate and anger behind them that I almost felt sorry for him. I felt my anger starting to subside, taking a step back, I decided that it had been enough.

"Yeah… it's over." I said slowly nodding my head.

Princess Celestia looked back towards Twilight and the other ponies who nodded in agreement. Twilight, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and Fluttershy stepped forward. Twilight headed the group. A brilliant flash of light came off of every pony, their elements emanating from their trinkets and slowly being lifted into the air. A string of rainbows began to connect each of them together, all of them coming to Twilight's tiara as the focal point. A single rainbow came arcing out from the center of them, heading straight for my father who did not take his eyes off of me. The rainbow struck my father, the power the rainbow carried with it bathed him in a white light and his roar was heard echoing across the Ashen Fields.

The Elements of Harmony formed a portal to the Void behind my father; a sudden vacuum began to suck in the air around us. The Void began pulling in loose dirt, ash, and rock that littered the Ashen Fields. It pulled at my flames, and the hair of others.

My father was slowly being dragged towards the portal, a sneer across his face. He dug his hooves deep into the ground trying to brace himself.

A sudden smile cut across my father's face that made my heart skip a beat. A sudden flash of light from his horn caused the Void to tear behind him, causing the rainbow to waver. The vacuum of the Void increased its pull. It started to drag every pony to it, including my father.

"What's happening?" Princess Cadance shouted.

"The portal! It's becoming unstable!" Twilight shouted as the mane six tried to contain it.

"I will draw all of Equestria into the Void with me!" Scorch cried, his horn glowing more intensely and increasing the tear.

"We have to stop him from tearing it or we're going to lose control!" Twilight shouted struggling to maintain their hold on the portal.

Princess Celestia fired a spell from her horn towards Scorch, but the Void quickly absorbed the shot; pulling it into the blackness. Pieces of Castle Char were breaking off, crashing to the ground and sliding towards the Void. Soldier ponies were clinging to one another trying to prevent themselves from sliding. Discord turned himself into a large brick wall to prevent the Solider Ponies from sliding any further. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna created a shield to help prevent Princess Cadance, Shining Armor, Wingston and Spike from being pulled in.

My eyes fell to Wingston who stared back at me. I looked towards my father, then back to Wingston, he shook his head no knowing what I was planning on doing, but I nodded yes back to him.

I turned, charging my father, planning to knock him into the Void, knowing that I would be pulled in myself. I slammed into my father, feeling him slide backwards towards the portal and feeling his arms wrap around me tightly.

"We shall go together." My father hissed to me.

"Smolder!" Princess Celestia cried in fright.

I dug my hooves deep into the dirt, forcing my father back a few more inches, but he refused to give up so easily. The Void was already robbing me of my strength. I could feel myself growing weaker by the moment and my hooves starting to give out on me.

I took another step forward, seeing the edge of the portal just behind my father. I only had to summon up a little more strength and it would all be over. Every pony would be safe.

I suddenly felt myself being pulled back from my father, being thrown to the wayside and sliding to a stop at some pony's hooves.

"Traitors!" The Mad King cried in anger.

I looked up to see Pyre standing over me. Wick having taken my place wrestling with my father, trying to force him into the Void. I felt my heart drop at the sight of this.

"Wick! Get away from there!" I shouted in horror.

"Not a chance!" Wick grunted forcing our father back a few paces more.

"You can't do this!" I shouted in horror.

I tried to get to my hooves but I felt a blow to the back of my head knocking me down flat. The world spun around me, I could see Pyre stepping over me.

"You've done enough, Smolder. It's time that we do something right by you for a change." Pyre said, smiling down at me.

"What do you say, brother? Care to give dear old dad a little pay back?" Wick asked struggling against his father.

"I'd be delighted." Pyre replied.

"You can't!" I shouted trying to take hold of Pyre's hoof, but Pyre kicked me back down.

I clutched my side from the sharp pain I felt, looking back up at Pyre who stood beaming at me.

"You will make a great King one day, Smolder." Pyre said proudly.

"A better King then either of us would have been." Wick said looking towards me with a smile.

"Good bye, Smolder." Pyre said definitively.

Pyre went barreling towards our father, I got to my hooves as quickly as I could to give chase. My Flash Step would not spark, Pyre was pulling away, and I could not catch him.

"Twilight! Please stop this! Close the portal!" I shouted in fear.

"We can't! We're doing everything we can just to keep it contained!" Twilight shouted, her voice taxed from the effort of keeping the portal sustained.

"They're all I have left!" I cried, feeling my heart ache seeing Pyre pull away from me.

Pyre collided with our father, knocking him backwards into the portal. Wick and Pyre tumbled in after him, slowly disappearing into the blackness. The Mad King's roar echoed through the Void, the tear had stopped and I raced towards the portal preparing to jump in after them.

"Seal it, Twilight!" Princess Celestia shouted, ducking under a large rock that soared over her head.

"No! Twilight, please don't!" I begged being only a few feet away from the portal.

The sudden flash of light came from the mane six, tracing its way over the rainbow and slamming down onto the portal. The Void slammed shut creating a shockwave throwing me back and sending the debris it pulled flying off in all directions. Twilight, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and Fluttershy slowly descended from the air and coming to a rest on the ground.

The Soldier Ponies slowly got to their hooves looking around to see if it was over. Princess Cadance and Shining Armor held onto one another checking to see if each other were alright. Wingston and Spike had held onto one another as well looking relieved. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna pressed their heads together letting each other know they were alright.

I slowly got to my hooves, shaking something awful staring at where the portal once stood. I staggered forward, unable to comprehend what I had just lost. I felt my chest tighten, I felt my heart breaking, and I felt myself whimper. All of my pain, my anguish, my sorrow came rushing to my throat. I screamed, almost roaring from the pain I felt, hoping that my voice would reach them some how in the Void, and they would know how much I already missed them. I hung my head low, whimpering quietly to myself, wishing I could cry. I was alone again.