• Published 13th Dec 2016
  • 2,438 Views, 73 Comments

Smoldering It Over - Turtlehaus



This is a story about a young Fire Colt named Smolder. Son to the Mad King Scorch of the Ashen Fields, younger brother to twin Colts Wick and Pyre. The story takes place many years after the Mad King's downfall and the banishment of the Flame Ponies.

  • ...
4
 73
 2,438

Chapter 22: Wingston's Lament

Discord had been instructed to look after every Flame Pony by Twilight and her friends before she and the other ponies went to confront the Mad King. There wasn't much Discord could do for the Flame Ponies other than to literally watch over them. Using any magic on the Flame Ponies now might allow the Mad King to absorb even more power and that was something every pony could not afford. For lack of a better idea, Discord decided to at least make the Flame Ponies as comfortable as possible with slabs of granite. Discord took a special interest in making sure the foals and fillies were made extra comfortable along with the elderly ponies.

"Maybe some nice hot tea will help put that spark back into that old furnace of yours." Discord said offering General Hearth a cup.

A moan escaped the General's lips. The cup of tea disappeared from Discord's paw.

"I know it may be difficult, but if you could tell me what I can do to help you it would make things loads easier. Help me to help to you, help me to help you." Discord said leaning down to General Hearth.

"There is nothing… you can do…" General Hearth said hoarsely.

"Well there must be something? Cocoa? Warm milk? Cider? A belly rub?" Discord asked curiously.

"Don't mind me… help the others…" General Hearth muttered.

"What sort of talk is that?" Discord asked disappointingly. "Just rest little Flame Pony, you are among friends now. They won't let you down."

General Hearth closed his eyes. His breathing was becoming more labored.

"Better hurry ponies. I'm not sure these Flame Ponies are going to be around for very much longer." Discord said anxiously.

Snapping his claws Discord was adorned in a doctor's coat and split himself into fifteen different copies of himself to assist the Flame Ponies.


Twilight, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy and Spike had retreated a few ranks back to allow the Soldier Ponies to do their job unhindered; waiting for their moment to step in. Twilight and Rarity lent their assistance to help magically shield ponies from stray shots of fire that came their way. There wasn't much else any pony could do then to watch the Mad King attempt to take on two kingdoms, three princesses, and all their armies.

Princess Cadance had become the lynch pin in the attack on the Mad King. The more experienced Princess Celestia and Princess Luna kept the Mad King busy while Shining Armor coordinated the soldier ponies to keep him off balance. Continuously drawing attention away from Princess Cadance and allowing her to land spell after spell on the Mad King. Each magical spell was driving home a hard hit and slowly diminishing the resolve of the Mad King's wrath.

"Fourth battalion! Block the south side! Eighth battalion! The north side! Seal off his escape!" Shining Armor bellowed the orders.

Several groups of Soldier Ponies broke off from the main forces, sprinting into position and bottlenecking the Mad King against the east wall of Castle Char.

"All battalions! Fire!" Shining Armor ordered.

The Princesses retreated back behind the ranks of the Soldier ponies, while several unicorn ponies stepped forward; their horns glowing. In rapid succession the unicorn ponies fired a multitude of spells at the Mad King. Shielding himself with his fiery wings the Mad King took the full force of their barrage.

Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, And Princess Cadance pooled their magic together, creating a large orb of energy that shimmered with a spectrum of colors. The Soldier Ponies infront of them broke off their attack to make way for the Princesses combined shot. Pinned by the onslaught of magic spells pelting him, the Princesses let loose their attack. Hurtling towards the Mad King, tearing up the ground beneath the orb, it's power warping the very air around it. The orb struck the Mad King, expandinf violently, air rushing past every pony towards the orb before it shrunk to the size of a marble. The following blast was so powerful that it blew through the east wall of Castle Char and right on through to the west wall causing it to explode outward; throwing large pieces of debris across the Ashen Fields.


Wingston had witnessed this explosion, watching pieces of Castle Char soar through the air before crashing down and smashing into pieces across the ground.

"Did you see that, Smolder?" Wingston asked.

Wingston had waited a rather long time for a response from the rock statue but didn't get a peep from it. There was a minute of silence from Wingston.

"If I didn't know any better I would say that you were hiding in there." Wingston remarked settling himself down against the leg of the stone statue.

"Maybe its fear that's keeping you in there." Wingston said.

Wingston folded his arms together. With a sigh, Wingston closed his eyes to rest his weary claws. Expecting the stone statue to reply at some point but it remained silent.

"Or lack of oxygen." Wingston mumbled opening one eye.


From the crumbling east wall of Castle Char the Soldier Ponies stood at the ready. Murmurs ran through the ranks, believing that they had won the day, and that the battle being over from that last attack. Princess Celestia'extra eyes scanned the dust and rubble for signs of the Mad King.

"There! The North Tower!" Cosmic shouted aloud.

Every pony looked up to see the Mad King standing tall upon the edge of the North Tower staring down at the rest of them.

"When this is over I will need a new castle to rule Equestria from." The Mad King called aloud.

"Steel yourselves! Make ready!" Shining Armor commanded.

The Soldier ponies reformed the ranks, while Princess Celestia stepped forward to respond to the Mad King.

"Much like this castle, your chances of winning are crumbling around you." Princess Celestia retorted.

"I think I shall raise a new castle, built on the charred remains of every pony that stands here today. I'm sure you will make excellent mortar." The Mad King shouted threateningly.

From his perch the Mad King soared high into the air. Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, and Princess Cadance gave chase.

The Mad King flared his wings with each flap, creating large embers that fell towards the pursuing Princesses. Although easily avoided, the Mad King was already tearing through the air at them. The amount of wind passing over and around the Mad King caused his flames to increase almost ten-fold. A variation to the Flash Step, but used with the air, the Mad King's speed increased far beyond even the Wonderbolts.


The battle being fought on the east side of the Ashen Fields had taken to the skies. Missed spells casted by the Princesses struck the earth with such force that it left craters in the ground. Wingston opened his eyes to see the Mad King far overhead dipping towards the mass of Soldier Ponies. The Mad King spewed a line of fire that drew across the ground like a stick through sand and left a wall of fire in its wake. Wingston could almost feel the heat from where he sat. Gazing at the fire dancing in the distance, Wingston could see the ponies that scattered from it.

"I'm no stranger to fear." Wingston said quietly.

"When I lost my wing..." Wingston began; shifting his weight a bit.

"I was afraid. Terrified beyond all belief. The enemy of your father, at the time, an orc by the name of Grog had made sport of me and tore it from me without mercy. What was I to do? A bat with no wing, forced to walk upon the ground instead of soaring through the night sky? That was no life for a bat." Wingston stated lifting his arm and spreading his long fingers to show small shreds of webbing that lingered.

"None of my own kind would help me. There was no help to be had for a wingless bat. I was left alone in the Dark Marsh. Afraid for my life I tried to walk on legs that were never meant to do such a thing, and eventually collapsed just over there." Wingston pointed towards an area of the field.

"I had not felt such fear in my life. What was I to do?" Wingston asked rhetorically.

The rock statue didn't respond.

"That's when your mother found me." Wingston said warmly.

Wingston took up his staff, running his wing through the grooves of the wood and placed it upon his lap.

"I spoke no words for a pony to understand, nor had I the strength to stand, but your mother took pity on me." Wingston said quietly.

"That was the sort of pony your mother was Smolder. She was so kind, so loving, more than a wingless bat ever deserved." Wingston explained gripping the staff tightly.

"Your mother nursed me back to health. She taught me to read, taught me to write, she fed me, clothed me, gave me shelter and when I was finally able speak without screeching... I told her my name. Then I thanked her." Wingston said longingly.

"That is when I decided I didn't want to be a bat anymore. Figuratively, of course, but the point being was that I wanted to change. I had changed. I had witnessed the strength, the kindness, and the pride the Flame Ponyies had carried and I too wanted to be a part of that. Figuratively." Wingston said strumming his fingers on his staff.

"I eventually asked for a place in your family's kingdom, promising to help and serve the Royal Family, but also to serve every Flame Pony that lived under their rule. At that time your father was an honorable pony, he had seen the effort I had put into my studies, my determination to walk unhindered, and accepted my request." Wingston said proudly.

"I was appointed as his Royal Advisor. I looked after the castle and all those that dwelled within it. I offered advice to your father on matters of grave concern. I witnessed the birth of the Twins and the steady decline of your father's sanity. For the orc that had taken my wing, had taken your father's pride and almost his family. I watched my king end the orc with a fire that not only consumed Grog but himself as well." Wingston said quietly.

"I watched the Flame Ponies here suffer under his rule. I saw the Twins be twisted by their father's cruelty and saw your mother waver in strength over the years. I did what I could, where I could without drawing attention to myself or to the ponies I helped but it was far too little in the grand scheme of things." Wingston explained.

A stream of fire flashed across the sky that drew Wingston's attention. The Mad King had limited the amount of ponies that could help the Princesses in their fight to only a hoof full of Pegasi Soldier Ponies and the Wonderbolts. Ponies darted across the sky; different colored spells flew through the air as waves of fire fanned around them.

"I tried, really I did, to talk to your father, to talk to the King, but over time I realized that King Scorch was long since gone. If I had pushed just a little more, to have urged him more often to seek council with me... perhaps I could have changed everything." Wingston said bitterly.

"It was around the time of your birth, where I no longer knew your father. He refused to see you, his new born son, and even refused to name you. For the King no longer cared for the ponies he ruled or the family he shared." Wingston paused for a moment.

"Did I ever tell you that your mother named you Smolder? That being said, I thought it was ridiculous name for a Prince. She named you after her family's old shop, stating that it reminded of her of happier days. How's that for a story of how you got your name?" Wingston asked with a chuckle.

"I would have named you Nova Blast or perhaps Blister or Incinerate." Wingston said in a matter of fact tone.

"Although, I suppose the name Smolder suits you better than those I came up with." Wingston admitted.

Wingston took a moment to gather his thoughts, gazing out over the Ashen Fields observing the destruction that had taken place.

"When Princess Celestia banished your father into the Void, your mother's grief consumed her. I should have done more to ease the pain your mother felt, attempted to console her from the madness that took your father." Wingston said somberly.

"For all my wisdom I could not figure out how to be the friend your parents needed when they were at their lowest points. So when she asked me for one final favor I accepted it without question. She entrusted me to look after you when she was gone. I watched her say goodbye to you, but you were only a tiny little foal at the time. I allowed her to enter that mirror in her grief and the sadness that filled my heart pains me to this day." Wingston stated remorsefully.

"Would you like me to tell you what she said to you, Smolder?" Wingston asked curiously looking up at the face of the stone statue.


"Wake up, Sweetheart."

I opened my eyes to darkness.

From the blackness an outline of a pony, burning in golden flame, appeared before me. I tried to speak but no words came. I tried to move but I stood frozen. The golden flame grew brighter; it enveloped me and chased the shadows away. I knew in my heart who this was, I wanted to scream out to her but I could not. My mother's lips began to move, yet no sounds came from them.


"I wanted to say goodbye Smolder, I'm sorry I have to leave you alone when you need me the most, but there is some other pony that needs me more." Wingston began to recount the Queen's last words to him.

"You have your brothers who will take care of you, and friends that will look after you. I'm sorry I won't be able to see you grow or be there for you when you fall." Wingston continued. "Just know that I love you, Smolder, please remember that."

Wingston had finished repeating the Queen's last words to him. The stone statue remained motionless. Wingston got to his claws, favoring his leg and putting all his weight onto his staff.

"You know, Smolder, I have become part of the same fiery passion the Flame Ponies shared for the hard work, determination, fearlessness they had once shown to tackle any challenge and stand proud against any adversity. No Flame Pony has embodied this more than you. To face the challenges of a world unknown, all for the sake of your Flame Ponies that suffered here. You met every obstacle with some fear, but never lost sight of what truly mattered. And I will be damned if I lose you as well!" Wingston said aloud.

"Smolder, the young Prince that burns without flame! You fear the fire that burns within you, you fear to become like your father and lose all that you have ever held dear! It is this fear that keeps you from escaping the hold your father has on you! Your father thinks you weak for your kindness, but I believe it give you power! For all of your feelings, all of your emotions that you've kept inside, rage like a storm none of which any Flame Pony has seen before!" Winston cried raising his hand and his staff into air.

"You now have but one question to answer." Wingston said raising his staff over his head.

"How will this day end?" Wingston shouted swinging his staff down on the stone statue's head.


Echoes began to reach my ears, I could not discern them at first but I started to recognize Wingston's voice. I strained to hear him, but I was fixated on my mother who continued to mouth words I could not hear. My mother stopped speaking. I fought with all my might to move. I begged within my heart to embrace her at least once; even if this was just a dream. My mother stepped towards me, my heart racing; all the while I struggled to move. She stopped to lean down to me. I strained my ears to hear, hoping beyond hope I would hear something this time.

"I love you, Smolder."


The head of Wingston's staff broke off from the impact. There was a silence that followed, Wingston staring at the stone statue, then a crack was heard. Two burning red eyes appeared beneath the rock face of the statue so suddenly that it caused Wingston to fall back in surprise. The center stone statue began to illuminate with a red hot glow.

The rock statue started to crack, flames flaring out from the fissures. As little fire as there was, Wingston could already feel an immense heat rising from the rock. Wingston limped away, using the broken staff to aid him, unsure of what was about to take place.

The Ashen Fields once more began to quake, the tremors grew more violent with each passing second. Unable to keep his balance, Wingston fell to the ground and proceeded to drag himself behind a rock. The tremors were soon being felt by the Soldier Ponies on the east side of the Ashen Fields.

"What's happening?" Shining Armor shouted aloud looking about.

Every Solider Pony got down low to the ground bracing themselves, all eyes turned to the mountain expecting another eruption.

"Is the volcano going to blow its top again?" Rainbow Dash asked in disbelief.

"This is becoming quite annoying!" Rarity shouted covering head with her hooves.

"I don't think it's the volcano doing all this shaking." Applejack replied, noticing the lack of evidence from the mountain.

"Maybe it's the Mad King's magic?" Spike asked holding onto Twilight's leg.

"He's been occupied with Princess Celestia and the others! It can't be him!" Twilight shouted trying to keep her balance.

"Wee!" Pinkie Pie cried in delight allowing the ground to bounce her up and down.

"Oh please don't let it be another volcano, please don't be another volcano." Fluttershy whispered to herself hiding behind Rarity.

The earth broke open under the rock statue. Pillars of dirt lurched up from the ground all around the area. While the cracks grew in size, flames beginning to escape the crevasses; the Ashen Fields were once more split asunder.

The Mad King, the Princesses, the Pegasi Soldier Ponies, and the Wonderbolts had all taken notice of the commotion going on down below. Princess Celestia's eyes scanned the Ashen Fields to see a small bit of light originating from a small rock. Her eyes also landed on a small creature hiding several feet away behind an even smaller rock.

"Wingston!" Princess Celestia said in surprise.

"Wingston? How can that be?" Princess Luna asked looking down at the ground.

"If Wingston is there, then that must mean that the light is coming from Smolder" Princess Celestia said in amazement.

"What's going on, Princess Celestia?" Princess Cadance asked aloud.

The Mad King had overheard this. His fire flared violently seeing the small flames spewing from the rock he had left him in. Without warning the Mad King dove out of the sky towards the stone statue, his fire surging to his mouth, ready to end this once and for all; to smash the rock statue to pieces.

Wingston could hear shouting coming from above, glancing up he saw the Mad King blazing down towards the rock statue. Wingston scrambled over the rock he hid behind, unsure of what he was going to do, but knew he wouldn't let the Mad King get to Smolder without going through him first.


I watched as my mother slowly began to dissolve away. She draped her wings over me, pressing her head lightly against mine. I could feel the fire raging deep inside me come to the surface and breaking me free from my fear. All of my anger, my sadness, all of my feelings we're surging to the surface. The image of my mother was almost gone from my sight, I could feel myself begin to move, when I got out only a few short words.

"Goodbye, Mom."

With one final crack the rock statue split open. The force of the explosion sheered the pillars of rocks surrounding it. A shockwave of golden light washed over the Ashen Fields, originating from the explosion, passing over every pony and knocking Wingston over. A pillar of yellow fire soared up into the sky, striking the Mad King and knocking him out of the air. The Mad King crashed hard to the ground, slowly rising to his hooves, dazed by the impact, he looked over to see the pillar of fire stretching towards the heavens without any sign of stopping.


Discord watched the golden light wash over every Flame Pony under his care and one by one their flames reignited. Slowly the Flame Ponies stirred, getting to their hooves, and wondering what had happened. General Hearth's flame came roaring back, his eyes shot open and jumped to his hooves. Looking at the herd of Flame Ponies still slow to get their hooves, he quickly came to the side of a few of his loyal solder ponies before checking on the fillies and foals. Discord gazed at the pillar of fire stretching up into the sky with amusement, while every Flame Pony's eyes came to gaze upon it as well.

"Yellow fire…" These words were whispered by every Flame Pony and Discord took notice of this.

"What is the significance of yellow fire?" Discord asked curiously.

"It was the fire of our Queen. It was a symbol of warmth and hope to us many years ago before she disappeared." General Hearth explained staring up at it in awe.

"Well then you'll be surprised to hear that it isn't your Queen but your little Flame Pony prince." Discord said.

"Smolder is alive?" General Hearth asked in disbelief.

"Shall we go see for ourselves?" Discord asked.

Smolder's name quickly spread like wildfire through the herd of Flame Ponies. For the first time in many years there was excitement in their voices at the sound of his name.


Ponies from all over the Ashen Fields could hear, over the roar of the fire, a voice screaming, it was filled with pain, filled with sorrow, but it all came out at once; bathing the Kingdom in a gold light.

"By Equestria..." Wingston whispered in awe.

Raising his arm to block the sheer amount of fire and light I was producing, Wingston could see what I could not. My mother had given me a gift, or at least that is what I had told myself in the days to come. For I had wings of my own, bathed is yellow fire, just like my mother.

There were some ponies that said my voice carried for miles, that it was heard as far as the Crystal Kingdom and that the pillar of fire could be seen anywhere in Equestria that day. Ponies from all over would say that it was the sign of a new age for Flame Ponies. Others would say it was a warning for all those who dwelled in darkness. For those who saw it up close saw the young Flame Pony Prince conquer his fears. For me, I had finally accepted my mother was never coming back; so I let all of that pain go.

The pillar of fire dissipated, leaving only myself standing at its base. My mane no longer burned a fiery red but a golden yellow that resembled my mother's. I met my father's wretched stare with a cold stare of my own. Spreading out my wings I showed them off to my father who seemed to snort in anger at the sight of them. I felt a wing touch my shoulder, looking down I saw Wingston at my side staring back up at me with a smile.

"Welcome back." Wingston said with a smile.

"I heard you." I replied with a smile of my own.

Wingston looked up at me with a look of surprise. I lowered my head to him and pressed it against his for a moment. I pulled away, stepping forward to confront my father once again.

"You miserable little waste of Flame Pony fire! If you think that changing the color of you flames will-" The Mad King was interrupted by my sudden outburst.

"You are no longer worthy to hold the title of King, father! This madness has to end and I will personally see to it that you pay for your crimes against the ponies of Equestria!" I declared.

"Who do you think you are speaking to me like that?" Scorch cried in anger.

"I am the King!" I shouted.