• Published 13th Dec 2016
  • 2,420 Views, 73 Comments

Smoldering It Over - Turtlehaus



This is a story about a young Fire Colt named Smolder. Son to the Mad King Scorch of the Ashen Fields, younger brother to twin Colts Wick and Pyre. The story takes place many years after the Mad King's downfall and the banishment of the Flame Ponies.

  • ...
4
 73
 2,420

Chapter 14: Filling Voids

Sitting on the rampart of the Royal Castle I watched the sun begin to set behind the mountain tops. I watched the shadows from the mountains stretch out over the land. The shadows traced the edge of the Everfree Forest until it fanned out over the ridge towards the west. I returned my gaze to the sunset wondering if Princess Celestia had added the colors or if it was something beyond her control.

Shining Armor stood on the balcony overlooking the courtyard and the rampart I was sitting on. Princess Cadance strode up next to him; gently nudging him with her hoof to get his attention.

"How is he?" Princess Cadance asked looking out over the balcony.

"He's been up there ever since we got back." Shining Armor sighed.

"Have you tried talking to him?" Princess Cadance asked turning to him.

"I tried, but I think he wants to be left alone right now." Shining Armor replied.

"The poor thing, it wasn't his fault Private Nightshade got hurt." Princess Cadance said sympathetically.

"That is only part of it." Shining Armor mentioned.

"The Queen?" Princess Cadance guessed.

"Yeah. The Queen." Shining Armor nodded his head.

"Is he still angry with her?" Princess Cadance asked sounding worried.

"I think he's angry with himself." Shining Armor mentioned.

Princess Cadance leaned over to nestle her head against Shining Armor's. His hoof reaching over her shoulder and pulling her closer.

"How is Private Nightshade doing?" Princess Cadance asked.

"A few broken ribs, a sprained hoof and a bump on the head. He's going to be alright though." Shining Armor informed her.

"Do you think we'll ever see the Queen again?" Princess Cadance asked curiously.

"I doubt it." Shining Armor said with a smile.

The wind began to pick up a bit. Racing over the rampart to flare my mane back. I took a deep breath, exhaling slowly looking down at my hooves.

"Mind if I join you?" A voice asked aloud.

Looking up, I saw Princess Celestia striding down the rampart towards me. I felt my mane flare nervously.

"Sure." I said quietly.

Princess Celestia strode over to me, her multicolored mane and tail dancing in the breeze. She sat down next to me. Looking out over the rampart admiring the view just as I had. We sat in silence for a few minutes, not looking at one another, and just enjoying the final moments of the sunset.

"I've received word that Private Nightshade is expected to make a full recovery." Princess Celestia said kicking things off.

"I'm… relieved." I said, feeling a weight being lifted.

"The three earth ponies you helped rescue have safely returned home. They send their thanks." Princess Celestia continued; sounding rather warm.

"Cool." I said, not knowing what else to say.

Princess Celestia looked over at me. I glanced up and saw that she was smiling at me. I didn't feel like smiling.

"Shining Armor has given his full report on what had transpired in the mountain. " Princess Celestia mentioned casually.

"I got to be a Cadet." I said quietly.

"So I've heard." Princess Celestia replied.

"But only for a little while." I added.

"Shining Armor said that you were a big help in finding the lost ponies." Princess Celestia remarked.

"As a flashlight." I mumbled sounding embarrassed.

Princess Celestia laughed quietly to herself; my mane flared from embarrassment. We sat quietly for a few more minutes, the sun having disappeared behind the mountains.

"Luna should be raising the moon any minute now." Princess Celestia mentioned looking up at the sky.

I knew Princess Celestia could sense my anxiety. She had given me that look that Tea had given me. I was beginning to feel I was an easy pony to read.

"Princess Celestia?" I began, taking a deep breath.

"Yes?" Princess Celestia replied looking my way.

"When.. when I fought the Queen for the first time…" I began; facing forward not wanting to look over at her; my heart pounding in my chest. "She had kicked me, like she did Nightshade, and I was sure that I wasn't getting up again."

Princess Celestia remained quiet, letting me continue uninterrupted.

"I remember feeling numb from the pain, the spiders were closing in, and my vision going dark. But just before I slipped away… I heard a voice speak to me and I…" I felt my words catch in my throat.

I looked away trying not to let Princess Celestia see me become emotional; trying to steady my breathing.

"I could have sworn it was my mother." I said brushing my nose with my hoof.

Princess Celestia smiled at me.

"I felt a fire rage inside me, a fire that gave me so much strength that I was able to stand up and face the Queen again. There was warmth to my flames, I felt powerful, brave, and I felt that I was in control. " I explained.

I paused for a moment. Remembering the Queen, Nightshade's selflessness, and the anger I felt burning in my chest again. My mane beginning to flare from my anger.

"But this time..." I said feeling myself become angry. "This time, I didn't hear anything. Nothing but the roar of my flames and the cries of the spiders. The fire that raged inside me felt like it was burning through me, creating this empty feeling that I couldn't fill."

My body was tensing; I could feel my flames wanting to explode once more.

"There was no warmth to my flames. No matter how much fire I released; I felt cold for the first time.The more my fire grew, the angrier I became, and the deeper the emptiness felt. Then the world seemed to break apart and it consumed her; it almost consumed me." I said staring at my hooves. I could feel myself shaking with anger.

"Hate can dig very deep into a pony, Smolder." Princess Celestia explained. "Allow it to dig deep enough, and you'll feel empty forever."

I looked up at Princess Celestia who looked back with a smile; I could feel myself wanting to smile back. The flames on my mane returning to a flicker again.

"Every pony feels anger sometimes, Smolder. Flame Ponies wear their emotions on their manes. We can see when you're upset, when you're hurting, when you're afraid, and you can't hide it like other ponies can. Your fire reacts to these emotions." Princess Celestia explained to me.

I looked down at the floor. I felt embarrassed and my mane flared. It only embarrassed me more.

"Remember that feeling anger is as natural as feeling happy. For a Flame Pony, you must choose which feeling you wish to feed your fire. May it be the love you felt for your mother or let it feed on the hate you felt for the Queen." Princess Celestia said watching the moon beginning to rise.

"Princess Celestia?" I mumbled hoping she wouldn't hear me.

"Yes, Smolder?" Princess Celestia asked having heard me.

"I never… met my mom. But-" I swallowed hard. "I feel like she would have been… a lot like you."

"How so?" Princess Celestia asked with a laugh.

I kept my eyes glued to the floor. I tapped my hooves together in embarrassment.

"Kind, sympathetic, and pretty." I mumbled.

Princess Celestia laughed again covering her mouth with her hoof. I could feel my mane flare in embarrassment.

"That is very kind of you to say, Smolder." Princess Celestia replied sounding grateful.

I begged my mane to stop flaring as I felt my face flush.

"I am sorry, Smolder." Princess Celestia said suddenly.

"Sorry? For what?" I asked curiously looking up at her.

"For regarding your ponies as liars and mischief makers." Princess Celestia said to me.

I felt my heart jump. I stared up at Princess Celestia in disbelief.

"My memory of Flame Ponies were shrouded by the actions of the Mad King and his war with Equestria. In these few weeks you have reminded me of how Flame Ponies used to be." Princess Celestia said warmly.

Words were no longer coming to me. She had apologized to me; to Flame Ponies.

"You will have my support at the Summit, Smolder. I will help make your ponies smile again." Princess Celestia said giving me a warm smile.

I could feel my heart jump into my throat. I wanted to say so many things, to thank her over and over again only to remember the hardest part about being a Flame Pony: we can't show our appreciation; we must always say it. I struggled to speak, wanting nothing more then to hug her out of gratitude, but I knew I couldn't. I felt as if I was going to cry and begged myself not to. I was imagining the Flame Ponies in the Ashen Field having a life like that of Ponyville. To see my Flame Ponies smiling once more, not having to live in fear of the unknown but to have courage to face the future.

"Thank you." I whispered trying to keep it together; my voice cracking.

"Thank you, Smolder." Princess Celestia said warmly.

Princess Celestia and I had descended the ramparts together, once we were back inside the castle she excused herself and wished me a safe trip back to Ponyville. I wished her good night before heading back to the Infirmary where the doors had been left open and a commotion was taking place inside.

"So then the Queen's leg comes swinging down, her leg is the size of a tree, and it's coming right at Smolder. Nightshade sees this and flips on the hero switch. He dives at Smolder! It was all in slow motion by the way. Pushing him out of the way at the very last second and Nightshade takes the hit! He goes flying across the room! BAM! Right against the wall, out like a light! I'm the first pony to reach him. With my medical knowledge I concluded that his brain bone was broken and needed a doctor pony right away! So I valiantly lifted Nightshade onto my back, fighting off at least twenty spiders with one hoof while carrying him to safety."Cosmic explained in a very electrified manner.

I had walked in on Cosmic retelling the events of what happened in the mountain; acting it out in front of every pony to see. Princess Cadance, Shining Armor, Peanut, a bed ridden Nightshade and a light blue pony all watched and laughed.

"Twenty spiders?" Shining Armor asked sarcastically.

"It could have been thirty. I didn't have time to count them all." Cosmic said rubbing his hoof against his chest.

"Smolder?" Tea asked aloud walking out from the back room.

Tea had emerged carrying a clipboard in her arms looking rather surprised to see me. Every pony turned around to look my way, as Tea quickly rushed over to me.

"Are you alright?" Tea asked quickly looking me over: hugging her clipboard.

"Yeah I'm al-" I was cut short by Tea hitting me over the head with her clipboard.

"What is the matter with you?" Tea shouted looking for an opening to my head as I lifted my hooves to defend myself.

"Taking on the Queen of Spider's twice in one week? Almost falling into a bottomless pit?" Tea screamed towering over me as I curled up on the floor hiding my face.

"You're the biggest… biggest… dork I know!" Tea shouted stomping her hoof down and strode off towards the others.

I carefully uncovered my face trying to see if the coast was clear.

"I don't know who is more dangerous, Tea or the Queen and all her spi-" Cosmic was cut short as Tea also hit him with her clipboard.

"Tea." Peanut replied with a smile.

"How are we feeling?" Tea asked coming up alongside Nightshade's bed.

"I feel fine. Don't feel a thing." Nightshade said trying to sound tough.

The light blue pony next to him looked very concerned; Tea did not. Tea poked him on his side with her clipboard. Nightshade grinded his teeth trying not to groan in pain while the light blue pony seemed even more concerned.

"See! Just fine!" Nightshade hissed through clenched teeth with a hard fought smile.

"Colts." Tea mumbled under her breath; rolling her eyes.

"I guess all the bandages are for show then?" Shining Armor asked amusingly.

"Nightmare Night isn't for another couple of months, but you're already looking like a mummy." Peanut joked.

"Are you sure you're okay?" The light blue pony asked curiously.

Nightshade seemed to turn a bright red. He began to stammer and shake nervously.

"Nightshade is going to be just fine, Belle." Princess Cadance answered for him.

I walked over to Nightshade's bed. I cowered as Tea walked past me holding her clipboard up to take another swing, but she let me live.

"Hey Smolder." Nightshade said with a smile.

"Hi." I replied from the end of the bed.

"I heard you turned up the heat and went hoof to fang with the Queen." Nightshade said throwing a few hoofs punches.

I tried to say something, but once more I felt the words get caught in my throat.

"Everything alright, Smolder?" Nightshade asked curiously.

"Smolder has had a long day." Shining Armor said trying to help me.

"I'm sorry." I said nervously.

"Sorry?" Nightshade asked sounding confused.

"I wasn't paying attention and I… you… I didn't..." I mumbled trying to find the words.

"Hey, whoa! Hold up Smolder." Nightshade said trying to sit up.

"Hey now, take it easy." Peanut said putting a hoof on Nightshade's shoulder.

Nightshade patted Peanut's hoof with his own ensuring him he was alright.

"You didn't do anything wrong." Nightshade said waving his hoof at me.

"But I should of-" I started but Nightshade spoke up.

"But nothing. I had your back since we first entered that cave. I wasn't going to let some dumb spider take a swipe at you. I'd jump in the way again too! No pony or spider messes with my friends." Nightshade said tapping his hoof against the bed decisively.

"I think Nightshade flipped his hero switch again, he's making a speech." Cosmic whispered to Peanut who nodded in agreement.

"Thanks." I said meekly, feeling very humbled by his words.

"Don't mention it Smolder, as far as I'm concerned you're one of us now." Nightshade said laying back in his bed.

"He isn't a Soldier Pony, though. He doesn't even have wings." Peanut pointed out feeling confused.

"You know what I meant." Nightshade snapped.

Every pony laughed. I could feel my smile trying to make an appearance.

"I don't think you've been properly introduced. Smolder, this is Belle." Shining Armor said spearheading introductions.

"You mean Nightshade's special somepony?" I asked curiously.

I'm sure if Nightshade had the strength he would have tackled me. Princess Cadance had covered her mouth with her hoof in shock while Peanut and Cosmic looked very excited at the current development. Shining Armor slapped his face with his hoof, and even Tea leaned over the nursing station to see.

"I'm your special somepony?" Belle asked curiously looking at Nightshade.

Nightshade could not sink lower into his bed; he looked mortified.

"He can't run away, do you think he'll deploy his fainting tactic or will he use gibberish to confuse her?" Cosmic whispered to Peanut.

"Definitely gibberish." Peanut whispered.

"I-I-I-I-I-I-"Nightshade stammered turning bright red.

"Good call." Cosmic whispered back.

Belle reached over to hold Nightshade's hoof. She smiled warmly at him. Nightshade smiled nervously trying to talk, but couldn't get past gibberish.

"Oh my, look at the time we really should be going!" Princess Cadance announced, wanting to give them some privacy.

Princess Candance's horn began to glow. Peanut and Cosmic were suddenly being pushed towards the door with Shining Armor following right behind them.

"Smolder, I think it's time you went to bed." Princess Cadance stated giving me a rather stern look.

"But it's only-" I started to say but a clipboard sailed through the air at me.

"Goodnight!" I said quickly running towards my slab of granite.


The next morning was filled with goodbyes. Nightshade and Belle had spent most of the night talking, long after I had fallen asleep. I congratulated him on becoming Belle's special somepony and he thanked me for spilling the beans for him. Peanut and Cosmic also came to say goodbye, telling me that if I ever need a favor that I shouldn't hesitate to ask. Then I went to say goodbye to Tea.

I approached her slowly looking for a clipboard or any other blunt instrument she may had been carrying, but she showed me her hooves were empty.

"So this is goodbye." Tea said sounding disappointed.

"I'm sorry I worried you." I replied sounding guilty.

"Good." Tea said firmly.

I smiled, but Tea found it hard to return it. She was just as sad to see me leave.

"Tea." I said stepping up to her.

"Yeah?" Tea asked.

"I have something for you." I said trying not to sound nervous.

"Really?" Tea asked sounding surprised.

"Rarity had helped me with this." I said waving to Peanut who brought it over for me.

Peanut put it down on the ground in front of Tea. It was a lantern.

"Oh… it's… pretty." Tea said looking at it confused.

Peanut opened the glass door on the lantern for me. I leaned down and breathed a small flame inside. It lit up and the flame danced about.

"Now you can take a little part of me wherever you go." I said straightening up.

Tea looked up at me.

"Just remember to fill it with oil every now and again." I said with a smile.

I had no idea giving presents to ponies would make them start to cry. Tea seemed to be tearing up and I looked for Peanut for help but he had disappeared on me.

"Thank you, Smolder." Tea said softly picking up the lantern.

Tea was smiling and almost crying at the same time so I wasn't sure whether to appear happy or concerned but I nodded all the same.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know you were going to do this. I don't have anything to give you." Tea said quietly, clutching her lantern.

"Can you write me a letter?" I asked hopefully.

"A letter?" Tea asked in surprise.

"It would be cool if I was the first Flame Pony to get a letter in the Ashen Fields." I said with a smile.

Tea smiled at me wiping the tears from her eyes with her hoof. She nodded in agreement.

"Goodbye Smolder." Tea said softly.

"Goodbye Tea." I said feeling my voice crack.

Tea laughed. I felt my mane flare.


The train conductor seemed to have a problem with me boarding the train like the rest of the ponies. I understood his concern, but his idea to put me into the furnace wasn't my favorite one. Luckily, he did find me a seat at the caboose, the very back of the caboose, the railing outside of the caboose and I was told to hold on unless it melted the bars.

The train lurched forward. Some ponies waved at me as we pulled away. I waved back. I watched Canterlot slowly become smaller and smaller in the distance. I was glad that Tea had liked my gift. I wish I could have given her more, just a little more, but I knew I couldn't.

I could see the country side from back here. I could smell the wild flowers that grew in numerous colors. It was soothing to me. Aside from the train's chugging sounds and loud whistle it was a pleasant ride.

Eventually the train started to bring me closer to Ponyville, the open green fields, the birds singing in the trees, and Rainbow Dash waving at me from a cloud. The train pulled into the station, at least most of it did. I had to de-board the train at the back. I walked to the side of the train station where I head a familiar voice.

"Twilight! He's over here!" Spike shouted from the edge of the Train Station's platform.

"Hello, Spike." I said with a smile.

"Hey there Fireball, did you enjoy your time at Canterlot?" Spike asked lowering himself slowly off the platform rather than taking the stairs.

"Very much." I said watching Spike drop to the ground.

"You have to tell me all about your fight with the Queen of Spiders! And the rematch!" Spike said running up to me.

"Yeah, sure." I said with a smile.

"That will have to wait." Twilight said walking down the stairs of the platform.

"That's right!" Spike said snapping his claws.

"There is some pony here to see you, Smolder." Twilight informed me.

"Some pony?" I asked curiously.

"Well technically it isn't a pony, but he says he's a friend of yours." Spike corrected.

"He showed up early this morning looking for you." Twilight said motioning to me to follow her.

"Where is he now?" I asked curiously trying to figure out who they were talking about.

"We have him waiting at our place. We live at the Golden Oakes Library in Ponyville. He said his name was Wingston." Twilight explained.

"Wingston!" I shouted in surprise.