• Published 13th Dec 2016
  • 2,427 Views, 73 Comments

Smoldering It Over - Turtlehaus



This is a story about a young Fire Colt named Smolder. Son to the Mad King Scorch of the Ashen Fields, younger brother to twin Colts Wick and Pyre. The story takes place many years after the Mad King's downfall and the banishment of the Flame Ponies.

  • ...
4
 73
 2,427

Chapter 17: Second Breath

For my plan to work, I needed to get the my father's mirror from the Throne Room and somehow bring it outside Castle Char. I had come up with a brilliant plan of having Discord pose as the Elements of Harmony and bring it before my father. While my father was distracted, Discord would take him by surprise and magically move the mirror outside the castle where Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Twilight and every pony, else armed with the real Elements of Harmony, would seal the mirror forever. My father would never know what hit him; all I had to do was go home.

It takes only an hour of travel to reach the edge of the mountains that separated the Ashen Fields from the rest of Equestria. I walked down the dirt path leading towards the canyon yet etched it's way through the mountains, letting out into the Ashen Fields. Wingston once more rode upon my back, keeping a firm grip on the chest that housed the Elements of Harmony; also known as Discord.

"I have to say, I am very skeptical of your plan, Smolder." Wingston mentioned.

"So am I." I agreed with him.

"Well, in that case I feel loads better." Wingston mumbled, sounding annoyed.

"At least this way we're the only ponies in danger." I stated.

"I'm a bat, so I won't be in any danger by that logic." Wingston quipped.

"You know what I mean." I said shaking my head.

The lid of the chest grew a pair of eyes before it opened and closed repeatedly to speak.

"Don't forget that I'm here as well, Flame Pony, I expect to be well handled until my big moment." The chest said aloud in Discord's voice.

"Keep flapping your lid and we'll be caught before we even enter the castle." Wingston said knocking his staff against the chest.

"I majored in theater; I'll have you know. " The chest continued to slam open and close with Discord's voice.

"Then start acting before you give us away." I hissed at him.

"I know when it's time for the curtain call. Just make sure you don't flub this up, Flame Pony. I would just hate to see you be beaten by that pony wielding that clipboard again." Discord mocked.

"Who was that light green pony from last night that beat you mercilessly with that scrap of wood?" Wingston asked curiously.

"Tea?" I asked.

"Are you asking me or telling me?" Wingston retrorted.

"Telling you." I replied.

"She seems very fond of you." Wingston said nodding his head.

"Is hitting a pony over the head repeatedly considered to be a sign of affection?" The chest with Discord's voice asked curiously.

"It is when it concerns Smolder." Wingston replied trying to keep the chest closed.

"May I show some affection by hitting you over the head with a blunt instrument?" The chest chattered away with Discord's voice.

"No." I said shooting the chest an intense glare.

"You're no fun." The chest mumbled in disappointment.

Last night Tea had wished me luck in our plan to defeat the Mad King, save all the Flame Ponies, and rebuild our society from scratch. She sounded very sincere, even if it did sound rather ridiculous for a stupid Flame Pony to pull off. It was hard for me to have to say goodbye to Tea twice in one day but I would not want her anywhere near the Ashen Fields. Princess Celestia had allowed Tea use of her chariot to return to Canterlot where she would eventually journey to Manehatten. With a reassuring smile I told her everything would turn out fine and that she had nothing to worry about. For one last time Tea gave me that look, the look that saw right through me but could see I didn't want to talk about it. I was called a dork once more by Tea before she boarded the chariot and was taken back to the Royal Castle.

"She's going to become a doctor." I mentioned gathering my thoughts.

"She'll beat the sickness out of any pony the way she's going." Wingston jested.

"She'll be in Manehatten for the next couple of years to finish her schooling." I said trying not to chuckle.

"You just never seem to catch a break do you, Smolder?" Wingston asked rather sympathetically.

"What do you mean?" I asked looking over my shoulder.

"Eyes on the road." Wingston said knocking his staff against my head.

I elected to take the main road into the Ashen Fields. It was a large canyon cutting through the base of two connecting mountains. Prone to many rockslides, spider ambushes and stubbing ones hoof on an exposed boulder. Before the banishment of Flame Ponies this road was a very important trade route from East to West where gold and jewels from the mountains would flow from the Ashen Fields. It led to the very center of the Ashen Fields before snaking it way into the Dark Marsh. Flame Ponies would patrol the paths in the Dark Marsh to keep the Timber Wolves, spiders, and Owlbears at bay to allow ponies' safe travel. No pony has dared to try and use these roads since.

No sooner had we cleared the canyon did we come upon General Hearth waiting for us. This time he was not escorted by any other Royal Flame Pony Guard, but seemed relatively surprised to so me.

"Prince Smolder, I wasn't expecting your return so soon." General Hearth said rather confused.

"I wasn't going to allow Wingston to make the journey home without some assistance." I told him.

"I had offered my services to escort him personally to Ponyville but he declined." General Hearth informed me.

"Why is every pony suddenly concerning themselves with my business?" Wingston asked sounding annoyed.

"What are you doing all the way out here, General?" I asked curiously.

"Upon Wingston's return, I was going to offer him assistance back to Castle Char." General Hearth stated.

"I appreciate your concern for his well-being, General." I said appreciatively.

"I don't." Wingston commented.

"There are far too many Flame Ponies that are in need of constant looking after these days. Wingston may not be a Flame Pony, but he is one of us." General Hearth said.

General Hearth had taken notice of the chest that Wingston was holding.

"Need any assistance in carrying that, my Prince?" General Hearth asked promptly.

"No, I've got." I said confidently.

General Hearth nodded in compliance.

For as long as I could remember, General Hearth was in charge of the Ashen Fields Royal Guard and Army, or at least what was left of it. During my youth, General Hearth had carried out the orders given by the Twins, struggled to keep our Flame Ponies united, and protected them from the creatures of the Dark Marsh. Even when I was a foal, General Hearth had given me the respect worthy of a Prince; even when I should have been scolded for eating rocks. To this day I admire the strong will and determination that General Hearth puts forth in all his efforts to ease the burdens of our Flame Ponies. If not for the rule of the Twins, General Hearth would have made an excellent leader.

Together we made our way across the Ashen Fields. Almost hoof deep ash caked the ground, with every step we took the ash was tossed into the air before settling elsewhere. No matter how hard a Flame Pony tried to clear it the ash would just settle further away before the wind brought it back.

"Might I ask what you're carrying?" General Hearth asked curiously.

"The Elements of Harmony." Wingston replied casually.

"You- You've actually acquired them?" General Hearth asked in disbelief.

"General, there is something I need to tell you." I said slowing to a stop and turning to him ignoring his question.

"Of course, my Prince." General Hearth said proudly.

"Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, with many of our friends from Ponyville, will be coming to seal the mirror my father is trapped in. Have every Flame Pony take to the mines of the mountains and keep them there until this is over. My father is drawing power from their flames; we cannot allow him to gather any more strength." I explained.

"But… the Twins… I cannot… Let me accompany you, my Prince. I won't stand idly by allowing you to put yourself or any other pony in harm's way." General Hearth said defiantly.

"I won't let it come to that, General. Keep our ponies safe, as you have been all this time." I said heading towards Castle Char.

"Good luck, my Prince." General Hearth said tapping his hoof against his chest.

The closer we got to Castle Char the more I began to prepare myself for the leeching effects of the Void that surrounded the mirror. Reaching the castle doors, I could feel no difference in my strength nor did I feel my fire being pulled from me. I honestly didn't feel any worse for wear. The large rock doors of Castle Char slid open before us. We traveled through the Main Hall, lined with pillars obsidian pillars, towards the staircase leading up to the Throne Room. Ascending the staircase the Twins came stepping out from the throne room's doors looking quite surprised to see me.

"Why if it isn't lit-hey!" Pyre cut himself short as I pushed passed him making my way into the Throne Room; Wingston still riding on my back.

"You cannot enter unless father requests an audience with-" Wick came striding up next to me, but Wingston stopped him short with a swift knock to the head with his staff.

Walking down the corridor, I was expecting the Void to be sapping me of my strength in great quantities at this point. Strangely I did not feel any different than when I stood outside the castle. I stepped into the Throne Room feeling very brave, but the thoughts of my father caused my courage to waiver. Wick and Pyre had stopped near the corridor's entrance looking very annoyed with me. I could feel my heart sink, my mane flared, and my eyes grow wide with fear. The mirror was gone.

"Where is the mirror?" I asked sounding frightened.

"What business is it of yours to know where father is?" Wick asked with a sneer.

"Answer him!" Wingston exclaimed sliding off of my back onto the Throne Room floor.

"Silence you old fool! We will no longer have to listen to your shrieks anymore." Pyre snapped at him.

"Tell me!" I shouted turning on the spot; the chest dropped off my back slamming to the floor.

Wick and Pyre's attention turned to the chest now.

"What is in the box brother dear?" Pyre asked curiously.

"Perhaps gifts from the ponies of Ponyville?" Wick asked reaching for it.

"No business of yours!" Wingston shouted aloud striking Wick upon the head with his staff once more.

"Wretched little bat! How dare you!" Wick cried holding his head.

Wick's mouth opened to Wingston; fire stirring in his throat. Wingston raised his staff to shield himself but I got there first. I struck Wick, my brother, across the face with my hoof, forcing him to choke down his fire and stagger back. Wick looked towards me, his eyes wide with shock. I felt a hoof shove me back. I turned to see Pyre standing beside me, only to have him shove me once more.

"I think you owe your dear brother Wick an apology, Smolder." Pyre warned towering over me.

There was a fire raging inside me now, a mixture of fear and anger. We needed to find that mirror.

"Apologize to your brother Wick, little-" Pyre stopped short from me suddenly shoving him back.

The Twins both stared at me in shock. Their manes flared wildly. I could see Wingston in the corner of my eye pulling the chest off to the side.

"I think he's lost his mind, brother." Wick said standing alongside Pyre.

"I do believe you're right, brother dear." Pyre agreed glaring at me angrily.

Wick and Pyre stood side by side. The flames between them danced together, their fire merging as one.

There were times in my youth where Wingston and General Hearth could not be by my side. I had turned to my brothers for company in fear of being left alone. The Twins did not like the idea of me being a shadow to them, and teased me with mean tricks in hopes it would drive me away; unfortunately, it did not. It was not me they truly were angry with, but our mother whom they despised with such painful hate. Having left us to wander the Void in search of our father; she had abandoned us... abandoned them. The Twins never forgave her for doing so. They let their hate for her consume them, allowing our father's words to manipulate them, and turn them into an extension of their will. It was the first step in desiring power to rule as our father once had. Wingston had assured me that my brothers would lead our Flame Ponies to utter ruin but I never truly believed it. For until today, my brothers had never laid a hoof on me.

Wingston had finished dragging the chest off to the side where a pair of lips appeared on the lid.

"So what do we do now?" Discord asked his eyes appearing on the chest.

"I cannot search Castle Char in the time it would take to find it quickly. You must find the mirror, Discord." Wingston said trying to catch his breath.

"We have to warn Princess Celestia of this development." Discord informed him; the lid opening and closing.

"Do that thing with your claws and bring me to them. I will tell them myself." Wingston insisted.

"If I find the mirror I'll send it outside, have the ponies wait there until I have found it." Discord instructed him.

"Hurry, Discord." Wingston urged.

Discord's arm stretched out from the chest and snapped his claws them together; causing Wingston to disappear. The chest began to shrink, morphing into a mouse sized Discord. Stretching out his limbs, several of his joints cracking; Discord rubbed his palms together.

"Now if I was a magical mirror where would I be?" Discord asked himself scratching his chin.

Discord slithered up the wall like a small lizard, sliding in between the stones of the castle to begin his search of the mirror.

With a sudden pop, Wingston had reappeared near the edge of the Ashen Field, falling neck deep in the ash covering the ground. Digging his staff into the ash, trying to make a path for himself, Wingston hurried to free himself. No sooner had he began did he feel himself being lifted up into the air.

"Wingston?" Princess Celestia asked surprised; her horn glowing magically.

Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Twilight, and her friends stood at the ready, the real Elements of Harmony strung about their necks; all except for Twilight's which she wore upon her head. Every pony seemed surprised to see Wingston.

"My lady, the Twins have moved the mirror." Wingston said hastily.

"Do you know where, Wingston?" Princess Celestia asked lowering him to her side.

"I do not. Discord is currently searching the castle for it as we speak, he will move it out here if he finds it." Wingston reported.

"What about Smolder?" Spike asked curiously.

"He's dealing with his brothers." Wingston said looking back towards the castle.

"This is unexpected." Princess Luna said sounding anxious.

"So what if we can't find the mirror? We can always come back tomorrow, right?" Spike asked nervously.

"That is not the problem, little dragon. The only reason the Twins would have moved the mirror would be if the Mad King found a new source in which to draw energy from." Wingston explained to him.

"You said we had a whole month before the Mad King could absorb enough power to come back." Rainbow Dash replied starting to sound nervous herself.

"Stealing the fire of Flame Ponies must have been too slow." Twilight commented.

"Removing the mirror from the castle puts not only the Mad King at risk but the mirror as well. The Twins would not have moved it unless they were sure the location was well protected from any pony." Princess Celestia stated.

"So we're looking for a place that is hard to reach, offers more power than the all the Flame Ponies and no pony can get to." Applejack said doing a mental check list of the criteria.

Every pony thought to themselves trying to figure out the location of the mirror. They didn't have long before Discord appeared before them looking rather grim.

"I've searched the castle from top to bottom and even gave the Dark Marsh a once over but that mirror is nowhere to be found." Discord reported shrugging his arms.

"How can this be? The Twins could not have taken far. It must still be here somewhere in the Ashen Fields." Wingston said sounding perplexed.

"Maybe they just threw it away." Pinkie Pie remarked.

"No, I've checked the trashcans." Discord said scratching his chin.

"Could they have taken it into one of the mines?" Fluttershy asked softly.

"There are hundreds of tunnels leading through the mountains, it could be-" Wingston stopped short.

Every pony turned to look at Wingston who had cut himself short. His eyes grew wide with fear. Hobbling forward Wingston pointed his staff north towards the largest mountain surrounding the Ashen Fields; the dormant volcano.

"He is in the mountain…" Wingston said slowly.

"Discord! Go!" Princess Celestia shouted in haste.

Discord vanished on the spot. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna spread their wings and took flight towards the mountain.

"Let's go every pony!" Twilight yelled racing after them.

Every pony took off towards the mountain leaving Wingston alone in the fields. Shutting his eyes slowly and shaking his head he gripped his staff and prepared for the worst that was to come.

Our fire had chased the shadows from the Throne Room. Our flames burning brightly in its darkness. The three of us stood our ground, staring each other down before our game was to begin. Wick and Pyre had always tested each others strength, challenging one another to duels to see who was the better colt. They assured me it was only a game, a game that I would never win, for I would always be too far behind them. I was feeling apprehensive of challenging my brothers now, but I needed to know where they had taken father.

Together the three of us opened our mouths releasing a blaze fire at one another. The combined fire of the Twins quickly overcame mine, causing my own fire to act as a shield and providing a pocket in which their fire passed over me. I drew a breath; unable to continue my stream. The fire died away revealing Pyre and Wick racing towards me. Pyre's hoof struck me across the face allowing Wick to land a kick at my side. Staggered, Pyre reared back and drove his forelegs onto my chest knocking me to the floor while Wick spewed fire over me. In the old days, when two Flame Ponies dueled, the pony that could subdue the other with a greater amount of fire would cut off a Flame Pony's ability to allow their fire to breathe; causing them to pass out as well.

"Had enough, little brother?" Pyre taunted, while Wisp bathed me in fire.

I drew another breath. Ignoring the stinging pain of their hits, I drew in Wick's fire; allowing it to consume me. Wick and Pyre recoiled in surprise. I got to my hooves, having used the flames to jump start my Flash Step and charged them. In kind I drove my head into Pyre's chest sending him sprawling across the Throne Room. My speed making up for my lack of size. Leaping towards Wick I dug my teeth into his shoulder, hearing him shout in pain, and wrestled him to the ground. Wick swung his hooves down onto my head trying to force me to let go, I held on as he was able to get back to his hooves and tower over me. I lifted my back legs, driving them hard into Wick's stomach, knocking the wind out of him. Wick once more dropped to the floor, his mane no longer flaring, and trying to draw breath.

Pyre was back on his hooves racing towards us. I pounced towards Pyre feeling my flames propel me forward. Pyre and I connected, but he ended up tackling me to the ground anyways. Biting the back of my neck, he drew me up from the floor like a old sack and threw me across the room and into the wall. I slumped down feeling the Flash Step wisp away. Pyre did not give me time to recover, charging at me once more, driving his head into my side, and crushed me against the wall. Groaning from the pain I felt Pyre stomping his hooves against me viciously. I could feel my anger rising, my fire jumping to my throat, and I let it explode from my mouth. The force of my flames knocked Pyre clean of his hooves, throwing him into the air, before landing hard on the stone floor. Wick had caught his breath, his mane flaring wildly once more, leaping over his brother, and spewing fire my way.

I rolled to the side to avoid most of the fire, racing around the edge of the Throne Room trying to keep ahead of it. Wick was relentlessly shooting wave after wave of fire my way. Wick drew a breath, giving me the chance to turn towards him, kicking off the wall, and charging him. Wick opened his mouth once more, a torrent of fire erupting from his mouth. The fire Wick threw burned so hot it caused the stone on the floor to sear and hiss from the heat. Wick took another breath, the flames of his fire disappeared, and so had I. Wick quickly looked around for me, unsure of where I had went, but realized too late when he noticed a shadow hanging over him. Having used a short burst of my Flash Step, I jumped high into the air, the flames from my hooves giving me great lift. I fell down hard upon Wick, my full weight plowing him into the stone floor; his head striking hard against the stone floor knocking him out cold.

Taking several deep breaths. Getting to my hooves, standing over the now unconscious Wick, I looked towards Pyre who was still trying to pick himself up off the floor. Pyre seemed to be in a lot of pain. He was favoring his back, the impact from his landing must have really did a number on him; glaring at me with a scowl. I stepped over Wick, approaching Pyre slowly, who tried to summon fire to continue the fight, but the pain made him choke out a groan.

"Where… is … father?" I asked breathing hard.

Pyre did not answer me. He scowled looking away. I felt my fire jump to my throat in anger but I forced back down. I stepped closer to him, we were nearly face to face; I needed to know where they had taken him.

"Pyre, please." I pleaded with him.

"A Flame Pony does not plead." Pyre hissed in disgust.

"I don't care!" I cried flaring my mane wildly.

A sudden blaze of fire jumped from my mane; my anger boiling over at his words.Pyre was caught off guard, recoiling from my outburst. He had braced himself, covering his face with his arm expecting me to have hit him. After a few moments, Pyre realized that a blow was never struck, that I had not lashed out him, he slowly lowered his arm to look at me; confused now.

"I can stop him, Pyre." I said meekly lowering the flaring fire of my mane. "We don't have to live in fear of him anymore."

"You don't know him like we do, Smolder." Pyre replied shaking his head miserably. "His cruelty, his anger, it is nothing like you have seen before."

"I don't know him, but I know my brothers." I replied.

"What do you mean?" Pyre asked sounding confused.

"I know you saw our father change from the Noble King that he once was, to the mad pony that he is now. You watched our mother abandon us for the Void, leaving us alone to face the unknown future of our Flame Ponies. You watched our Kingdom crumble over the years into fire and ash. Left to pick up the pieces of a Mad King, and lead a fallen empire through our darkest years under his guidance. You shielded me from his wrath all these years, protecting me from what he was doing to the two of you. You sent me away on an impossible task of stealing the Elements of Harmony, because you knew deep down I could never do it; believing that I would never come back to this place. I know that deep down, past all of your anger, all of your hate, you're still trying to protect me from him." I said resting my head against his.

"Smolder…" Pyre whispered to me. There was no malice or cruelty in his voice anymore.

"I can end this Pyre, for you, for Wick, for all our Flame Ponies." I pleaded closing my eyes. "Trust me, please."

I could feel Pyre's flame from his mane dance with mine. He could feel me trembling, not from fright, but from how emotional I had become trying to convince him of how much I cared for them and every ponies safety.

"He… he is in the mountain. He demanded fire, more fire then we could give." Pyre whispered me.

"The volcano?" I asked, my heart dropping once more.

"It is over, Smolder." Pyre whispered sadly.

It felt like I was swimming in the river once more. My whole body ached from hearing this. Despair was creeping closer to my heart.

"The Mad King has returned." Pyre whispered.

With his words, Castle Char began to shake. The windows cracked and shattered. The Ashen Fields quaked. With a tremendous explosion the volcano roared to life spewing volcanic ash hundreds of miles into the air, blotting out the sun and shrouding the Ashen Fields in shadow. The force of the explosion collapsed part of the volcanic mountainside, sending an avalanche of rock and dirt fanning out over the eastern parts of the fields. Lava spewed up from the earth's core, beginning to fill the basin while streams of magma came pouring out from the collapsed mountainside; etching its way through rock and stone. Within the bowels of the volcano, among the torrents of fire and magma billowing at its center the mirror slowly rose to the surface. The frame of the mirror was searing a cherry red, cracks began to form across the magical glass, magma seeping through.

First a horn pierced through the mirror. The head of the Mad King slide out from the next. His hoof reached, followed by his other. Deep fissures etched across the Mad King's hide. With each breath the Mad King drew, the fissures seared a dark red, and with every exhale it faded back to black. If not for these fissures it would seem the Mad King was entirely made of fire. What remained of his hide was what outlined his body beneath the flames. Mad King Scorch took his first steps out onto the mirror's edge, stepping out onto the magma itself. The Mad King stretched out his wings, feathered by pure fire, and leaped up out from the volcano.

Landing upon its ridge with a powerful stomp, the Mad King Scorch looked out over the Ashen Fields. Taking a long deep breath of the sulfur and gases that the volcano spewed; he heaved a breath that made him smile. Looking towards the east, then towards the west. The Mad King took one flap of his wings, sending the pyroclastic clouds stretching out over the mountains towards the Crystal Empire and Ponyville. Tilting his head back the Mad King Scorch roared aloud, causing the earth to break open spewing hide melting steam and ash into the air across the fields; the volcano reacting to his power. The flames of his wings folded, the fire of his wings made it seem that he wore a cloak made entirely of fire. Even in his state of relax, his mane burned fiercely; as did his hooves, his flaming tail that snaked behind him. His eyes burned a deep red; filled with cruelty. With a single bound from the ridge of the volcano the Mad King Scorch fell at least two-thousand meters to the ground below. His hooves striking the ground with such force the earth broke beneath him, throwing up large quantities of ash into the air around him but the Mad King Scorch stood tall all the same.

The volcanic gas spewing from cavities within the mountain had forced Princess Celestia and Princess Luna to land several hundred meters away from the volcano. Through a fit of coughs from the gas Princess Celestia and Princess Luna beat their wings trying to clear the air. Twilight, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie and Spike had closed the distance in record time; sprinting across the Ashen Fields.

"Princess Celestia! Princess Luna!" Twilight and the other ponies cried out trying to wave the gas ridden air away with their hooves.

"Is every pony alright?" Princess Celestia asked covering her mouth with her hoof.

Every pony replied no through a fit of coughs from the volcanic gas. Princess Celestia's horn glowed brilliantly creating a magical bubble around every pony and expanded it wide to force the gas away; throwing the thick layer of ash into the creating a cloud around them. A collective deep breath was taken, while every pony took many more trying to catch their breaths. The sound of searing flames reached their ears. The forceful crunch of ash under hoof rang out around them. Two piercing red eyes burned through the clouds of ash just outside the range of Princess Celestia's bubble had dispersed. The Mad King Scorch stepped out from the ash cloud, his fire raging so violently across his body that it turned the ground he stood upon to glass beneath him.

"I've come to reclaim something of mine." The Mad King Scorch said menacingly.

With every word he spoke, flames flew from his mouth, his eyes bathing in fire, and his body burned like the surface of the sun.