• Published 1st Jul 2012
  • 1,173 Views, 50 Comments

In Our Realm - GuyWithAJetPack



A story going along the lines of My little dashie, but a bit different.

  • ...
14
 50
 1,173

Hammock

The sun soon fully gave way to night. Scootaloo started to fall asleep. I carried her inside, and set her on the bed. I crawled in soon, then fell sleep. I woke later to her curled up by my side. Even through my shirt, I could feel the tickling sensation of her fur. Making sure she was asleep, I turned on the TV. I channel-surfed until I landed on the news. It was the same stuff. I shut off the TV, then fell back asleep.


I woke up again, and saw Scootaloo standing on all four hooves on my chest. The golden light from the sun that reached through leaves reflected off her fur in such a stunning manner. I opened the shed door, and let her go outside for a minute. Before joining her, I looked around a cardboard box for my hammock. When I found it, I went outside. Scootaloo was poking a fallen leaf with her hoof. When the wind blew it away, the initial moving of the leaf made her jump, she then chased the leaf, until it blew over a fence. I strung the hammock inbetween the tree, and a metal pipe that rang alongside the shed. I Grabbed a blanket from the shed, and put it on the hammock. Next went a pillow. I climbed onto the hammock, and at first the blanket felt strange underneath me. I got used to it quickly. I wasn't afraid that a neighbor would see her, all the nieghbors were long gone.


I heard a slight whimpering at my side, and I looked over. Scootaloo was sitting there, looking at me with puppy eyes. "What?" I asked. She held out her forelegs, gesturing she wanted up. So I picked her up, and put her on the hammock. I don't know what was up with her, she just must've liked me. Two days, and she was already acting like I was her parent. She made herself comfy on the pillow, and curled up. I almost had another "Dawww" moment. I walked inside, and went to retrieve some more oatmeal for her. When I walked outside, I dropped the bowl. She was climbing the tree. Then, I heard a Snap! and she started falling.


I sprinted towards the tree at full speed, then dove off the stairs to catch her. She seemed to be falling in slow motion, and I was moving in slow motion. I felt her soft fur in my hands, and immidiately tucked into a roll position for the landing. Now, this wasn't the first time Id done this, I've been thrown from a second story window, and landed fine. I knew I'd need to learn because it would come in handy. Man, was I right.


After I stopped rolling, I uncurled, and looked at Scootaloo. "Don't ever so that again, do you hear me?!" I scolded. She stared at me for a second, then her lavender eyes produced tears. She started crying, and ran from me. I scooped her back up, and looked her in those eyes. "I-I'm sorry, I shouldn't have yelled at you." I apologized. She gave a sense of forgivness as she buried her head in my shirt. "C'mon, let's get you something to eat." I said, standing up. I then took her into the kitchen for something to eat.


I shared a large bowl of oatmeal with her. She seems to like oatmeal a lot more that vegetable mush. She seems as if she understands the words I speak, she just can't talk herself.


We spent the day outside. I think Scootaloo picked out her favorite toy, an old football my dad gave me before he passed on. She likes to play some sort of catch with it. I started building a step-platform for her to be able to get up on the hammock, or the bed. Chances are though, she will still want me to pick her up. I will still do it.


I decided to sleep out on the hammock for the night. While the sun was still shining, I set up a weather shade above the hammock. When the sun started setting again, Scootaloo stopped playing with the ball, and went slackjawed at the sight again. She was like this until about halfway through the sunset. When she stopped admiring the sunset, then sat down next to the hammock. She started looking at me in the "I want up there" stare. I picked her up, and set her down next to me on the hammock. She made herself comfy, then stared back at me. "Hush now, quiet no-" I started to sing before she fell asleep. Her orange coat started reflecting the sun's rays again. Her mane turned to a golden tone. I fell into the nice grasp of slumber, and joined Scootaloo.