• Published 1st Jul 2012
  • 1,173 Views, 50 Comments

In Our Realm - GuyWithAJetPack



A story going along the lines of My little dashie, but a bit different.

  • ...
14
 50
 1,173

A new friend.

I raced back home, supplies in bag, I had gone to the bike store to get some stuff for repairing a bike. So I was running/jogging about two and a half miles. It was not the easiest thing for me, for I was a bit overweight. The direct path was blocked by a broken sewer pipe, and I don't ever jog through the woods, for it brings back bad memories. I started down the home stretch, slowly scanning for the assholes. With only positive signs, and jogged into the driveway. I stopped on the porch and caught my breath. As I fiddled with the locks, I heard tires rolling over gravel. Without looking, I grabbed the baseball bat that I kept by the door. I turned around as soon as I heard footsteps on the rotting wood. The Vacuum salesman almost seemed to shit himself as I brought up the bat.

"Don't hurt me!" He screamed, putting his hands up in defense.

"Sorry. I have an asshole problem." I said as I tossed the bat to the ground.

"It's okay. It's not the first time." The man said, lowering his arms and standing erect. "Name's Doug. I go door to door to give the offer of a lifetime to keep your home clean." He said, brushing imaginary dust off of his jeans.

"Sorry, again, Mr. Doug." I said, then introduced myself. "Can you give me a minute to put my stuff away?" I asked as I opened the door to the home and put my stuff on the counter. I then ran downstairs and told Dash to hide Scoots.

I ran upstairs and then let Doug in. He looked around at the toys strewn across the house by Dash and Scoots. "Kids?" He asked plainly.

"I guess one could say that" I said.

"Nice place you have here." He said, then looked outside at his car, which he forgot to lock.

"Do you have any, How should I say this; Bad Neighbors?" He asked.

"No. Well, I don't have any neighbors." I replied, slowly shutting my bedroom door.

I showed him around, for some reason. I truly felt that this man was a nice person. I don't know why. He seemed to have something about himself, something familiar. When we got to the studio, his eyes widened. I hadn't truly noticed how amazing Scoots paintings were. "Did you do these?" He asked.

"No. My daughter did." I said, then finished the tour.

On our way out, He handed me a piece of paper with his number on it, then he remembered his original purpose for being here.

"What if I told you this Vacuum could make your house Twenty percent cleaner, in ten seconds flat." He said, grinning.