• Published 24th Oct 2016
  • 1,816 Views, 128 Comments

The Solar Steward - kissfromarose2



A lost princess fallen defeating a terrible Nightmare. Secrets a thousand years old. The end of a thousand year banishment. One pony stuck right in the centre of it all. Twilight Sparkle had better make friends. The world may well depend on it.

  • ...
1
 128
 1,816

Step from the Path

Author's Note:

Because it's christmas

It was taken more than a few reassurances to convince the others to leave her alone. Logically Twilight understood why. Unfortunately logic had flown out of the window the moment the Sun had suddenly decided not to set.

However, once she had given herself a firm talking to (albeit somewhat loudly), she was certain she could continue. Clearly before had been an overreaction. Just because Princess wasn't right here telling her to do didn't mean she didn't have things under control. In fact Twilight was certain she did. After all she'd had a whole thousand years to plan out a strategy. At this point all Twilight needed to do was follow her part of the plan.

Quite simple really.

Step One.
Get to the Everfree castle.

Step Two.
Use the Elements of Harmony to free Celestia or imprison Solar Flare as needed.

Step Three.
Reunite with Princess Luna.

Step Four.
Go back to Canterlot: away from the crazy ponies.

Step Five.
Get princess Luna to figure out what in Tartarus Pinkie Pie was.

World restored to rights Twilight shook the aches from her neck and stood up off the ground, looking for the direction the rest of the group had gone.

That was when she saw it.

A little to the right of the track the others had taken the dark figure of a pony stood. Waiting.

"Princess Luna?"

The figure nodded. Raising a silvery blue horseshoe she gestured for Twilight to follow.

Twilight didn't need to think twice. She followed.


"I don't rightly see what it is made you pick this direction Pinkie."

"Well, if we went in any other direction we'd stop being relevant to the plot. I mean what pony cares about us getting chased by Timberwolves, when a crazy Princess is about to drop the Sun on everypony?"

"Drop what on who?" Applejack asked in confusion. She shook her head. "Never mind, I shouldn't have asked."

"Timberwolves?" Fluttershy whispered fearfully. "I didn't know there were Timberwolves around here."

"Don't worry darling. I'm sure we'll find Twilight soon. Away from any nasty Timberwolves."

Rainbow Dash flexed a wing. "Besides, I'll beat up any that even dare to get near."

"Great." muttered Applejack. "Now, can somepony please tell me where exactly it is we're going?"


Twilight chased her mentor through the forest.

Between trees she darted, moving almost imponily fast. Up a hill and back down, past a gently flowing river. Through a glade of grinning trees. Once or twice Twilight lost sight of her; but then she would turn around and Luna would be silently waiting for her,

Finally they stopped at a small clearing.

When Twilight brushed the last of the low hanging branches from her face Luna was already sitting waiting. Her starry mane and tail draped out behind her, a small piece of the night sky caught among grass and twigs.

She ran towards her. "Princess Luna, you're alright. Oh I'm so glad you’re OK!"

"Go away Twilight Sparkle."

Twilight stopped short. The few metres between them might as well have been a chasm.

"Princess Luna?"

"Have you not already done enough?"

"But..!"

"I said leave!"

Twilight shrank back hurt and confused.

"But the Elements...my mission. I can't just.."

"Do you not yet feel as if you have failed me enough? Go home Twilight Sparkle."

Her mentors voice ran cold with anger, but Twilight could hear the sorrow beneath it too. "What about your sister? You told me.."

"I told you to leave. Yet it seems you cannot accomplish even that much."

"But it was you that led me here." Twilight's throat tightened. "Don't you believe in me anymore?"

Her mentor paused, her dark blue coat still rippling in the sunlight like an oasis in the desert.

Twilight gathered her courage. Gently she reached out to touch her teacher's shoulder. "It's okay I know what we have to do.."

She fell backwards, falling through the air like a puppet doll who's strings had been cut. Midnight blue magic filled her vision, blinding her with tears and cutting into her skin like a thousand cuts of paper.

"I SAID LEAVE!"

Twilight lifted her head off the ground, body aching. Before her she saw only a monster.

Fur black as death. Obsidian wings, jagged and sharp. Wicked teeth poised to bite. Soulless eyes staring into her soul, finding her wanting.

All softness gone.

Where her teacher, her protector, had once stood there was now only a Nightmare. A Nightmare of the Moon who could destroy them all just as easily as the Sun could.

Nightmare Moon cocked her head. "Whatever is the matter my faithful student?" she asked. "Are you not pleased to see what your failures have wrought?"

Twilight ran.