• Published 24th Oct 2016
  • 1,816 Views, 128 Comments

The Solar Steward - kissfromarose2



A lost princess fallen defeating a terrible Nightmare. Secrets a thousand years old. The end of a thousand year banishment. One pony stuck right in the centre of it all. Twilight Sparkle had better make friends. The world may well depend on it.

  • ...
1
 128
 1,816

The Party Part 1

Of all the things Twilight expected to find when she returned to the library, a small of army of ponies gathered outside was not one of them.

Having once again had to canter to keep up with Rainbow Dash, Twilight found herself too out of breath to gasp at the many ponies in front of her.

Instead, she settled for wheezing for breath as Rainbow stalked inside, quietly tailed by Fluttershy. As she watched, her brightly coloured companion declared herself first in line for cake as Twilight’s new best friend.

Her vision slowly clearing, she noticed the pink pony from that morning slowing winding her way through the small crowd towards her.

Now having taken the time to acclimatise herself to this strange town, she determined that "menace" was perhaps a little harsh. Of all the ponies she had met today, over half appeared to suffer from some form of psychosis.

Besides Shining Armour always said you couldn’t judge a pony properly from one encounter.

Twilight smiled wistfully. It was one of the many things he and Sunset argued over.

Mentally she decided to side with Shiny this time. The lack of bouncing was clearly a good sign.

“Hi, I’m Pinkie Pie! My new friend Spike said you needed friends, so I made you a super duper extra big welcome to Ponyville party so you could make some.”

Twilight blinked in surprise. “Huh.”

“I made you a party so you could make friends silly. You need friends. Ponies make friends at parties. Everypony likes parties. You make lots of friends and impress your princess mentor. Everypony goes hope happy. Imminent apocalypse averted.”

“Great.” Said Twilight awkwardly smiling, quietly hoping the madness would end soon.

“You really think so?” smiled Pinkie guilelessly. “I was worried after you ran away before you wouldn’t want to be friends.”

She leaned forward, front hooves already going in for a hug.

Eyes widening in horror, Twilight sprinted away.

Spotting Spike, surrounded by a group of foals and playing some sort of game, she made a beeline for him.

Unfortunately, in her haste, she almost knocked over the pony trying to talk to her.

“Oh I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to...”

“It’s quite alright dear. No harm done really.” She looked up, smiling widely. “Twilight, just the pony I wanted to see.”

“Rarity.” said Twilight formally.

The white unicorn blushed in embarrassment. “I wanted to apologise about before. I did not intend to frighten you off. I’m afraid I may have gotten a little carried away with the idea of designing for a princess. Anyway, I made you something as a welcome gift.”

She levitated over a pair of lilac saddlebags, outlined in silver thread around the edges, sprinkled with stars, and emblazoned with Twilight's cutie mark in the centre.

Inside a small label read:
To my dear friend Twilight.
A small gift to assist you in carrying all those dusty books.
Rarity.

Looking further inside Twilight saw another, smaller, package. “What’s this?”

Rarity gasped, quickly levitating the silky material into another set of saddlebags on the floor beside her.

“Nothing dear. Just another little thing I’ve been working on. Nothing at all ready. I must have left it in there by accident. Anyway darling, how was your day?”

“Fine, I guess.”

“I saw you bump into Applejack. Now she is a wonderful mare, really. A little on the dirty side at times, but if you can persuade her to wash her hooves…”

Twilight smiled softly. “Thank you for the gift Rarity.”

“It was no trouble at all darling. It was the least I could do for such a wonderful new friend.”

Twilight felt herself blushing heavily under the praise. “I had better go and find Spike. I asked him to look up something for me, before Princess Luna comes just before sunset.”

“Of course dear. One thing before you go?” Twilight nodded. “Are you quite sure I look presentable enough to meet her? I know you said she wasn’t one for wearing fancy clothes, or standing on ceremony, but I still feel so bare.”

Twilight laughed. “You look fine Rarity.”

The fashionista threw her a relieved look.

“I’ll introduce you to her myself.”

Twilight looked over at the group of foals rapidly becoming a pile. “Anyway, I had better find Spike before he becomes entirely buried.”

Smiling back at Rarity one last time Twilight made her way over to the pile of foals.

Her little brother had indeed disappeared under a veritable sea of foals, as a rather intense game of twister entered its final stages.

“You’re out Spike.” stated a filly with a curly mane Twilight was sure she’d seen running across the town square earlier that day.

“Awww, Sweetie Belle…”

“You put your tail on the ground. We all agreed that meant you were out.”

“But that’s where it’s meant to go!”

The filly smirked. “I wouldn’t worry. You can just hop back in on the next game, and I’m pretty sure Scootaloo’s gonna fall any second now.”

“Am not!” an orange pegasus filly blustered, desperately flapping her tiny wings in an attempt to stop her wobbling legs.

“Well I’m the King of Games.” puffed a brown earth pony colt. “I have to win.”

Quickly sensing this was going to descend into chaos, Twilight quietly pulled Spike aside. “Hey little bro, can I have a minute.”

Spike frowned. “I guess so. Not like I can carry on playing now.”

Twilight crouched down, bringing herself to Spike's level with a sigh. “I’m sorry I left you at the library before. I just wanted to give you some time by yourself. But I shouldn’t have left you alone. Sometimes I forget just how young you are.” she said softly.

“I guess I wasn’t a good brother either, I did kinda ignore you.” Spike said quietly.

Twilight pulled him into a hug. “You are the best little bro a pony could ask for.” She nudged his shoulder. “Besides you’re overdue for a crush.”

Spike’s eyes took on a dreamlike sheen. “Rarity is really nice.”

“Yeah she is. I’m not even sure how she managed to make a custom saddlebag on such short notice!”

“She’s really pretty too.”

Twilight gave Spike a serious look, silently fretting over the correct way to phrase her sentence. “Don’t you think she’s a little old for you?”

Spike shrugged. “I guess. Does it matter?”

"Well, you are only fourteen Spike. That’s young for a pony, and even younger for a dragon. Rarity’s quite a bit older than you, and she has a younger sister about your age. I don’t think she sees you as anything but a friend."

"Besides" she shrugged. "We’ll be heading back to Canterlot after the Summer Sun Celebration anyway.”

Spike's sullen expression suddenly vanished, replaced instead by wide eyes as he grabbed Twilight’s leg. “Twi, we might not be doing anything after the Summer Sun Celebration. There’s something you should see.”

Author's Note:

So the plot thickens.
Next time: The Truth