• Published 24th Oct 2016
  • 1,814 Views, 128 Comments

The Solar Steward - kissfromarose2



A lost princess fallen defeating a terrible Nightmare. Secrets a thousand years old. The end of a thousand year banishment. One pony stuck right in the centre of it all. Twilight Sparkle had better make friends. The world may well depend on it.

  • ...
1
 128
 1,814

Inferno

"How could she?!" yelled Fluttershy angrily. Rushing from her spot of green she desperately searched the clearing for any signs of life.

There was nothing.

Rarity reached out, trying to comfort her, but she harshly shrugged it away.

"She has to pay for this. All those homes lost. All those innocent creatures."

"I wouldn't exactly call Timberwolves innocent" muttered Applejack.

Fluttershy appeared not to hear her. Instead she seemed to become even more distraught. "The bunnies, the birds, the bears. What about Harry? He takes long walks around here sometimes. I kept telling him it wasn't safe..."

Rainbow glanced around, eyes finally striking on a small squirrel just outside the circle. "Hey Flutters, looks like one made it. You want me to go get it?"

Instead of answering Fluttershy dashed forward hooves already moving to encircle the creature.

The earth began to rumble.

Acting with almost impossible speed Rainbow Dash started across the clearing pulling Fluttershy away as a geyser of flame erupted from the ground.

The squirrel was killed instantly.

Scorched and bruised Rainbow held Fluttershy tight as she sobbed.

"What kind of pony could do this?"

"She's not a pony Flutters." Rarity said quietly reaching over to stroke her mane. "She's sick."

"Sick in the head more like." Rainbow muttered angrily.

"She's not sick." whispered Fluttershy. "When animals are sick or hurt they lash out. They don't do this. She's a monster!"


"And they call me a monster." exclaimed Infernia, finishing yet another of her speeches.

It was somewhat tragic, thought Luna, that Infernia should inherit what was perhaps one of her sister's worst proclivities: overly long lectures. It had never seemed to occur to Celestia, even in their nearly 2000 years of life, that after a certain point Luna simply stopped listening. Discounting her somewhat insulated childhood, Celestia's little speeches had been a part fo her life as long as Luna could remember.

Sermons on politeness, timekeeping, and the royal demeanour had been the most common, but Luna could remember a time when she would run off the play with Discord in the wilderness, her put upon sister's warnings ringing in her ears, even as Celestia herself retreated into the small cave they called home.

Compared to the cold surface of a dead star floating through space, suddenly that chilly cave from so long ago seemed warm in comparison.

"Luna, are you listening?"

"Yes, sister." muttered Luna absently. Her mind strained to remain in the past. Why did such memories always seem so much better in hindsight?

Infernia took on a terrifyingly familiar look. "No, you aren't. I am your older sister, you need to listen to.."

"Forgive me if I fail to pay attention to the words of a madpony, Nightmare." spat Luna.

"You are angry." Infernia observed.

"And if I am?"

"You need not be. Soon everything will be better."

"Everything will be better?" Luna said in disbelief. "Nothing can ever make this better! I wanted my sister back and I got you. The twisted, broken mockery of all my mistakes!" "And even worse, it is so far out of my power to even attempt to fix you it is laughable." She thought silently.

"I...did not know you felt that way."

"How could I not?" Luna said quietly. "I break everything I touch. It is only natural I would ruin you too."


"Everything's ruined!" cried Rarity. "The world's about to end; and I'm stuck in a dirty, ash covered clearing, waiting to die!". She dropped to the floor in despair, only to quickly hop back up again when she saw a spot of ash on her cloak. Turning to check her saddlebags she sighed in relief. "At least the gift for the Princess is alright. I don't know why I brought it. Such fine materials are wasted in the Everfree."

Twilight turned from where she was casting spells at the the border. "Are you quite alright Rarity?"

Rarity blushed. "Oh, I'm fine. Rather silly of me really stressing over my silly problems. We are all stuck here together after all."

Speaking of which, asked Applejack. "How's that counterspell coming?"

"Not good." said Twilight glumly. "I've tried everything. Arcana, Conjuration, Teleportation, Nature magic, Elemental magic. I even tried Alchemy. Nothing works. It all just slides off. I've never seen anything like it. Unicorn magic can't accomplish something like this, and I don't know enough about the differences with alicorn magic to even know where to start. There's no guarantee even if I did that my magic would even work." She sat down in defeat.

"Let me handle this."

The other four looked over confused.

Shrugging her shoulders, Rainbow Dash stepped forward. "I got this. I'll fly over this, then get back to Ponyville and get help."

"Are you sure?" asked Fluttershy. "Not that I don't think you can do it. It's just those flames look awfully hot, and I don't want you to get hurt the same way Archibald did."

Rainbow thew a hoof across her shoulder. "I just beat a goddess Flutters, a few measly jets of fire don’t stand a chance! Besides Danger's my middle name."

"If you're sure." Cautiously Twilight, FLuttershy, Rarity, and Applejack nodded their assent.

Twilight glanced around for the normally vocal Pinkie Pie but she was staring at the flames, an unusually pensive look on her face.

Alright, wish me luck" WIth one great flap of her wings Rainbow Dash was off.

She sped left and right, up and down, dodging flame after flame. For almost a minute they watched, holding their breath. For a moment it looked as if she might actually make it.

A jet of fire spat up behind her.

It threw her off course. She span in the air, balance lost.

Another caught the edge of her wing. She began to fall.

Twilight closed her eyes, gritting her teeth as her horn lit up.

Rainbow appeared on the ground in front of them the tip of her right wing charred and burnt.

"I'm sorry guys. I guess Goddesses are a little harder to beat that I thought."

Twilight looked up at the walls of flame surrounding them, the fire reflecting in her eyes. Hopelessness pooled in her stomach. "Luna help us." she whispered.