• Published 24th Oct 2016
  • 1,814 Views, 128 Comments

The Solar Steward - kissfromarose2



A lost princess fallen defeating a terrible Nightmare. Secrets a thousand years old. The end of a thousand year banishment. One pony stuck right in the centre of it all. Twilight Sparkle had better make friends. The world may well depend on it.

  • ...
1
 128
 1,814

A Charioteer's Woes

"Are you ready to go Miss Sparkle?" called a white pegasus in royal guard armour. Glancing at the hoofwritten "Do Not Disturb" sign hanging from the doorknob he took a break then knocked on the door.

"One moment" called a frazzled voice from inside.

The door opened a crack to reveal a young purple dragon poking his head through the door to lock droopy eyes on the guard.

Taking a bite of the blue gem in his claw, Spike quirked an eyebrow at the stressed look of the guard. "She means ten more minutes minimum." he said bluntly, cocking his head towards the large pile of books three times his height and four times as wide. "If I were you I'd start moving that lot into the chariot."

The guards eyes widened. "She can't...you can't possibly…" he spluttered in growing horror. "That can't all fit on the chariot. Its impossible!"

"Look..."

"Swift Wind"

"Look Swift, this is the bare minimum I'm going to be able to get her to take."

"But she's staying in a library!"

The small dragon sighed; a very heavy long suffering sigh. "Look I'll see what I can do. I can't promise anything though."

He rubbed his forehead in an attempt to ward off a headache.

"Twilight is, ehem, more than a little possessive of her books under normal circumstances. Add to that the fact that the princess just gave her an entirely new task out of nowhere. Well I'm amazed she isn't bringing the library."

Swift nodded understandingly. "It must be a very important task indeed if the Princess has entrusted it to her most faithful student. Usually Princess Luna handles everything herself."

Spike shrugged. "Not really. She just told her to go make some friends."

********************

Two hours later, an hour behind schedule, and three large crates of books attached to a trailer behind the chariot later Swift Wind finally caught sight of Ponyville. His back was aching, Smooth Current, his co-pilot, hadn't stopped complaining under his breath the entire way, and his equine passenger was swiftly devolving into a state of complete meltdown.

"But I don’t know how to make friends Spike! What if I say something wrong? Or they laugh at me? I mean that's always a possibility. What if I'm so bad they throw me out entirely? Or tell Princess Luna?! What if she throws me out? I mean a student who can't even make a singe friend. She'll send me back to magic kindergarten. Or banish me to the moon. Or revoke my library card privileges!"

"I sure she wouldn't..."

"You have to tell me Spike! How in the name of Luna do you make friends?!"

"Well not destroying their eardrums would be a start."

Twilight blushed indigo. "Sorry Spike, I accidentally slipped into the Royal Canterlot Voice again."

"And I'm sure Luna regrets teaching you it every day."

The hurt look Twilight sent back at him immediately made him regret speaking. "Look Twilight, making friends is easy. All you have to be is yourself. You're a great pony. I'm sure there are lots of ponies out there who would love to be friends with you. You just have to find them."

Twilight brightened.

"And not scare them away." he muttered under his breath.

"What was that Spike?"

"Oh nothing." said Spike with forced innocence. "Just thinking up a plan of attack."