• Published 24th Oct 2016
  • 1,815 Views, 128 Comments

The Solar Steward - kissfromarose2



A lost princess fallen defeating a terrible Nightmare. Secrets a thousand years old. The end of a thousand year banishment. One pony stuck right in the centre of it all. Twilight Sparkle had better make friends. The world may well depend on it.

  • ...
1
 128
 1,815

Decisions

Twilight Sparkle was not afraid to admit she was terrified.

Still gripping tight to her little brother, she stood in shocked disbelief at what had just taken place. Princess Luna was gone: taken by a long lost Princess of the Sun who had come back a monster.

Everything in her screamed to take Spike and run. Go find Cadance and Shiny in the Changeling Kingdom. She knew Chrysalis wouldn’t turn her away. She and Luna were too close for that...

A small voice inside reminded her of all the ponies downstairs. The ponies who had set up and attended a party just for her. To welcome a stranger. The same ponies who now faced an angry alicorn without any of Twilight's training or knowledge. The same ponies who...

“What’re we gonna do Twilight?”

“I don’t know Spike.” Twilight sighed. “We should probably get out of town. Who knows when she's going to be back.”

“But what about everypony here?”

“I cant worry about them." said Twilight brusquely. "I have to keep you safe”

But she said she was gonna come for everypony. What if she takes you away the way the portal did Mom?”

“I won’t let that happen.”

"How?"

Mind already running through potential options Twilight's eyes lit up in triumph. "I'm going to stop her. Swift Spear mentioned the Elements of Harmony. I bet they’d be able to stop her."

"But didn’t Luna say…"

"Princess Luna’s gone. Maybe these elements do have a cost, but whatever it is I’ll pay it."

"Twilight…"

"I need you safe Spike." Twilight said softly.

"I’ll-I’ll come with you."

"You’re my little brother Spike. It’s my job to look after you. I need you to stay in here. If things go bad, go North to Chrysalis's hive. That wasn't there a thousand years ago, so Infernia won't know where to look."

"You’ll come back right?" Spike asked quietly.

Faced with the pleading eyes of her beloved little brother Twilight could only nod. "I promise."


Downstairs the room was deserted.

The remnants of the party were still there; but now the room was quiet. Balloons still hung from the rafters, but now they seemed diminished with nopony to appreciate them. Unwatched, they slowly sank in place, quietly deflating. Tables that had once held food and drink had been toppled over in the panic, their contents now spilled over the floor.

Shuddering at the mess Twilight sidestepped over the fallen food, only to nearly trip over the "WELCOME" banner that now lay bunched up on the floor.

By it sat a pink earth pony mare, her pin straight mane falling beneath her shoulders to brush the banner beneath. Quietly she held a crayon in her mouth, silently scribbling out the "and Princess" that had been hastily added below Twilight's own name.

"Hi Twilight."

The monotone voice made Twilight jump in surprise. After hastily gathering herself she realised it had coem from the mare still quietly deconstructing the banner.

"Do I know you" Twilight asked."

"We met before. I planned your party, remember." said the mare bluntly. Her voice harshened. "Right before that big meanie ruined it!"

The cold tone was unfamiliar, but Twilight had heard that voice before. "Pinkie Pie?"

"It's Pinkamena actually. Not that it matters: I don’t think barbecues get names, or parties."

Feeling a need to do something, Twilight awkwardly bridged the gap between them to pat Pinkie gingerly on the back.

She brightened slightly, but immediately sank back down when she looked at the orange sky outside.

"Don’t worry the Nightmare wont turn anyone into barbecues if I can help it." said Twilight, projecting far more certainly that she actually felt.

Pinkie's eyes widened in hope, to an almost comically large size. "You'll beat her?"

Twilight nodded.

"And then we'll have a party?"

"And then we'll have a party."

Suddenly Pinkies hair popped right back up, inflating rather like the balloons that made up her cutie mark.

"Then what are we waiting for?! Ooh we'll have a victory party, or would that be a goodbye party? How about a no more mean Sunbutt party?"

"Actually, I think princess Luna was hoping it would a welcome back party."

"Oh you mean because she's her long lost big sister?"

"How did you know that?"

"I have ears, they were shouting really loud you know." said Pinkie waggling said ears.

"We all heard."

Turning around at the new voice Twilight saw Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy come through the library door. All of them looked a little worse for wear from earlier in the day. Applejack and Rainbow Dash were both full of dust and even Rarity was surreptitiously removing the few particles of dirt that remained on her coat with almost impossible focus and precision. Fluttershy looked the cleanest, but even now she was visibly shaking, her mane hanging low for her to hide behind. To Twilight's surprise though each had a spark of determination in their eyes that shone through any fear on their faces.

Injecting a carefreeness only she could manage Rainbow tossed her mane over her shoulder. "Sorry we're late Sparky, had to go drop the squirts off safe at the farm."

"Applebloom was more shook up than a polecat in a room full of rocking chairs after whatever it was that Sun Witch said to her!" growled Applejack quietly, barely suppressed anger clear in her words.

"Sweetie Bell too." said Rarity visibly upset. "I could hear the three of them whispering about Nightmare Sun coming to get them before I left." She sighed heavily. "Why did it have to happen here?"

"Probably because it's so close to her old castle." said Pinkie matter of-factly.

"How do you know that?" Twilight cut in. "Princess Luna abandoned the old castle a thousand years ago. Nopony's been there for a hundred generations!"

Pinkie rolled her eyes hooves reaching a distinctly unponylike distance to grab a midnight blue saddle bag. "Here of course."

Fluttershy glared at Pinkie. "You shouldn't be looking in other ponies bags Pinkie Pie!" She blushed lightly. "Anyway Princess Luna asked me to look after them for her. Since she might not be back for a while it's my job to look after it for her."

"But Fluttershy" whined PInkie. "The fate of Equestria rests on this."

"Darling, please. As if the fate of all Equestria rests on saddlebags."

"But it really does. How are we supposed to find to the Elements of Harmony without a reliable map?"

"The Elements of Harmony?" Twilight stuttered. "How did you?!"

"Under E." came the muffled response. The pink mare herself was already mane deep in Luna's saddlebag began to root around, even as Fluttershy tried in vain to pull her away.

Trotting over, Twilight did indeed find a book titled "The Elements of Harmony: a Reference Guide".

"What you got there Sugarcube?"

"Proof."

"Proof of what dear?"

"Proof we can stop Infernia. That we can stop the Nightmare before it destroys the lives of anypony else."

Each of the five shared a look before looking back at Twilight.

"We're with you."


Luna woke to darkness.

Around her was nothing but barren rock.

She was utterly alone.

"Oh no! Equestria."

Standing up she lit her horn reaching out with her magic to search for any signs of life.

Surely she could not have destroyed everything already?

"Twilight, I'm sorry. I failed you."

There was nothing.

But then a familiar call responded far away yet closer than she had ever known it to be before.

And that was when she knew.

She was on her moon.