• Published 9th Aug 2016
  • 1,105 Views, 43 Comments

The Siren Life - Michael Hudson



No magic, no jobs, no plans. Starting anew, the sirens need a new life, and it's far more likely that it will get worse, before it gets better.

  • ...
7
 43
 1,105

Planning

Adagio groaned as she slumped over the table in their kitchen/dining room. She had slept like shit the night before, and had the worst crick in her neck. Not only that, but she found out today that her coffee supply was apparently running a touch thin, which added just another bill to the list that she already had. She could just give it up of course, but since Aria would probably refuse to give up her smoking habit, she didn’t plan on giving up hers.

Of course, that was the question now: What would they give up? She lifted up her coffee cup as she began to consider it. They weren’t especially frivolous, not in her opinion. Sure, they went to a couple shows, kept extensive wardrobes, and ate out a good bit, but why shouldn’t they be able to enjoy themselves?

Adagio sighed, knowing that it was a poor excuse. The expenses were fine when they went to things they could use in their performances too, but now… She groaned, wishing they could simply return to how things were; when they could hum a few bars, grab a few wallets, and not have to worry about anything else for the month.

But now, she had no voice. Not only that, but Adagio felt far more tired than she ever had in the past centuries, and she could almost bet on why. And one night was all it had taken. One night that was supposed to be their moment of absolute freedom, and instead it now choked her more than any other in her life.

“Careful, or you’ll break your mug.”

Adagio glanced over to see Aria in the doorway. It was a touch surprising to see the bitch of their group fully dressed so early, but who knows, she might be trying to work off some of the weight she had. The jab helped Adagio not spit venom, even while she knew it was false. She would need another venting session though, if not just to calm herself down.

She tapped her fingers on the side of the coffee mug while Aria walked over to the kitchen. “Watch how much you decide to have. We’re gonna need to try to have less, or we might not make rent this month.”

Aria rolled her eyes as she popped two english muffins into the toaster. “Someone’s forgetting about the savings we all have. We’ll be fine for at least another month from what I know. However, if someone had listened to me so long ago, I bet we’d be able to afford a house right now.”

Adagio narrowed her eyes at Aria, before waving the blaming away. What was done was done, and she had her reasons for keeping their savings sparse. “Oh yes, and you complained so often on those days when you did absolutely nothing, instead of going out and bolstering your own savings. Face it, we all thought we would get out of this place, so why would we have even wanted a house?”

Aria kept her mouth shut at first, deciding not to bring up what sort of bank account she had, or the balance in it. Instead she just began to get ready for when the toaster pops. “I suppose not. Now though, I think we better see about getting a paper, and looking in the help wanted ads.”

Adagio let out another groan at this, even though she knew it was inevitable. They needed some sort of income, and petty theft wouldn’t cover it anymore. At least, unless they found new tactics. Her eyes narrowed, and she bit into her lower lip as she gave that some thought. A little bit of planning, the right use of their wardrobes… It wouldn’t be the stage performances they used to put on, but it could work.

“I usually don’t like whenever you have that look on. It almost never means anything good for any of us.”

Adagio rolled her eyes, knowing that her false generalization was like her earlier jab: just something to make her feel better. If Aria was being honest, she would have to admit that it was always her plans that had gotten them through the tougher times. She was the one to realize that the humans could be abused through their voices, had orchestrated their moves through Canterlot High, and everything in between. The only times they went south was…

Adagio glanced back at Aria, and saw the other woman narrow her eyes. Before she could open her mouth, the other siren said, “No.”

Adagio stopped for a moment, before narrowing her brow. “I didn’t even say anything.”

Aria began to butter her english muffins to stop her from balling her hands into fists. “You don’t need to. I’ve lived with you long enough, and listened to you blame every last thing on Sonata enough times that I know where your head is going. And I’m not going to deal with it tonight. The answer is just no. She is our sister.”

Adagio’s eyes narrowed at the word. It was a lie, a lie that Aria rarely played into, unless she was trying to pull at some emotional string. In fact, Sonata was the one to have originally called them sister, and only after centuries of getting called it did it even slip into Adagio’s head. Thinking of them as her sisters made it harder for her to be rational, and lookout for herself, so she usually discarded it.

But, looking into those firm eyes of Aria’s, she knew that the other girl was going to be stubborn, just as always. Still, she could remind her why one of them who could actually think logically was important.

She took one more sip of her coffee, before saying, “Alright, but remember that the more you hold back on letting her go, the more bruises I’ll need to clean on her face.”

Aria froze at the words, before she dropped her food, and turned hard on the tile floor. She said nothing, didn’t even dare to look at the cunt at the table, but instead just grabbed her jacket. She then stomped through the door, refusing to look back at the thin lipped smile that Adagio would be wearing.

Adagio, for her part, simply sipped her coffee, and began considering just how she might be able to not have to get a real job, so she could keep being the mastermind she enjoyed being.

Author's Note:

Remember that this is comment driven, so leave your suggestions below.