• Published 15th Aug 2016
  • 6,859 Views, 118 Comments

The Crow: Red Sins - 2wingo



Jason Wright is reborn as The Crow, and returns to Ponyville to take his just revenge. An "Ending-Verse" fic.

  • ...
9
 118
 6,859

II

"Applejack? Applejack? Applejack!"

AJ shook her head and tried to focus on her customer. "Sorry 'bout that, Derpy," she said. "My head's been elsewhere lately."

"Anything wrong?" Derpy asked. She scooped her apples into her saddlebag.

"Nothin' y'all need to worry yourself about," said AJ with a smile. "Here, take few extras and make a batch of them apple coffee cake muffins Dinky loves so much."

"Oh, I couldn't," stammered Derpy, "Please, I can pay for them -"

"Not another word, sugar cube," said Applejack. "This year's crop has been our best in a decade, we got apples to spare. And even if it wasn't, I'm not gonna price-gouge somepony in need. I know work's been slow this week at the post office."

"Oh, you're the best, Applejack." Derpy hugged her tightly, then flew away.

Applejack sighed and closed up her stand for the day. The sun was setting and she'd have to hurry if she was going to make back in time for dinner. Walking back toward Sweet Apple Acres, her thoughts returned to their previous train: the incident with Jason a week before.

What more could ya do? she told herself. Ya cut him down, ya dug a hole deep enough that animals wouldn't find his carcass, ya even said a prayer to Faust to have mercy on his soul. Ya got no reason to feel guilty.

So why did she? Sure, maybe she had been a little harsh when she caught him stealing apples, but it had to be done. Everypony else would think it was okay to just come and take whatever they wanted if she'd let some wild animal get away with it, she had to set a precedent. She'd have done the same if he'd been a pony . . .

No, her conscience told her. No you wouldn't've.

She hadn't told anyone about Jason's suicide, and his absence was starting to be noticed. Not that anyone really missed him, but for a while, some ponies (Snips & Snails, Berry Punch, and Octavia Melody of all ponies) had taken pity on the miserable wretch and deliberately left uneaten food by their garbage bins for him to find. Twilight had put a stop to it, claiming that it only invited more pests from the forest into town, and Applejack had been forced to agree.

"Maybe I should tell somepony," AJ said to herself as she moved her cart into the barn. "At the very least, I oughta visit his grave when I have the time."

"Don't bother. I'll come to you."

Applejack's blood ran cold and she froze where she stood. The barn door slammed shut as the last rays of the setting sun disappeared from between the cracks in the wall.

"Who - Who's there?!" she yelled out, assuming a fighting stance.

"Don't tell me you've already forgotten my voice."

The deep, raspy tones made her shiver. That voice was . . . No, it couldn't be. She'd seen him die, it couldn't be -

"It could, and it is," said the voice right in her ear.

Applejack tried to scream, but a crashing blow to the head stopped it in her throat as she was knocked back into a pile of hay. Moonlight shone in through the barn's upper window, casting a spotlight upon the figure who had struck her.

"It's - it's not possible," she said. The creature looked like Jason, yet it was so different. Jason had been five-foot-six at the most, this being was about five-ten; Jason's hair had been chestnut in color, this creature's was as black as ink; Jason was emaciated and weak, this creature was wiry and strong; and Jason had been tanned brown by the sun, while the creature was ghostly pale and had black markings on its face.

"I know what you're thinking," the creature said amiably, "'Where on earth did he get a gray silk poet's shirt and black leather pants?' Turns out that dying gives you some really nifty magical powers. You should try it sometime, it's very therapeutic."

He held up his forearms, revealing the hemp around them he'd woven into vambraces. "Recognize these? I guess you wouldn't since the last time you saw them, they were part of a single rope."

"Jason . . ." said Applejack, not quite believing what she was seeing but unable to deny it.

"Yes," he said. "Yes, and no. I WAS Jason Calbus Wright. But not now."

He crossed the barn with unnatural speed and picked Applejack up by her throat.

"Now, I'm The Crow."

Author's Note:

I was debating whether or not to post this as is, but my time to devote to writing will be very limited over the next 3 weeks, and you guys deserve something before I have to go incommunicado.

Next chapter: Vengeance begins in earnest.